Home Precious Metals
Options

Why 2014 Is Beginning to Look A Lot Like 2008

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>after reading through this thread, I feel as if I am witnessing the movie/book The Hunger Games play out in front of my eyes. Lots of very interesting info posted in this thread. Thanks to all for sharing. >>

There are a few threads like this that need to be archived. image
  • Options

<< <i>comrade jmski, let us know when you're about to buy stocks.image

Not yet. Does that help?image >>

I'm sorry. I forgot to thank you. And yes. image
  • Options

<< <i>For those who think the economy has improved since 2008. . . think again. >>

10 Charts Which Show We Are Much Worse Off Than Just Before The Last Economic Crisis
    By Michael Snyder, on March 18th, 2015

The link has 10 charts, #4, 6 and 7 could be attributed to the BB's entering retirement. The others we all know but smoe continue to ignore.

The comments at the end led me to here...Feds preparing to invade Texas for what it's worth. Crazy stuff. If it's on the internet it must be true. image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << comrade jmski, let us know when you're about to buy stocks.image

Not yet. Does that help? >>image

I'm sorry. I forgot to thank you. And yes.

Alert! I pulled the trigger and rescued some dollars today!image Trade accordingly.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did 2014 end up looking like 2008?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So did 2014 end up looking like 2008? >>

In many ways, worse. And this is using the "official" numbers:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    So did 2014 end up looking like 2008?

No, but it did start out that way.

On another note, 2015 is beginning to look a lot like 2008.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So did 2014 end up looking like 2008? >>

Hardly. They didn't have the same number of days, and couldn't even have the same type of Olympics! Total disappointment..
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Alert! I pulled the trigger and rescued some dollars today!image Trade accordingly.image >>

Just to be clear, did you actually buy a long position in stocks?
  • Options
    Alert! I pulled the trigger and rescued some dollars today! Trade accordingly. >>

Are you nuts? Stocks? NO!!!!!!! I bought a tube of 1/4oz AGEs. Some may take that as a contra indicator for gold, and I had promised to provide that service.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Alert! I pulled the trigger and rescued some dollars today! Trade accordingly. >>

Are you nuts? Stocks? NO!!!!!!! I bought a tube of 1/4oz AGEs. Some may take that as a contra indicator for gold, and I had promised to provide that service.image >>

Ha, that's kinda what I thought, but when you linked it to the previous post about buying stock, I began to wonder.

Had me worried for a second image
  • Options
    Ha, that's kinda what I thought, but when you linked it to the previous post about buying stock, I began to wonder.

Had me worried for a secondimage

Oh, I see how that looks. Nah, I was only underscoring my previous answer of "not yet" (for buying any stocks). I'm avoiding all paper, including precious metals ETFs. Just not willing to accept the exposure.

My attitude is that I'm "rescuing dollars" whenever I buy some metals. I hear them weeping and gnashing in my bank account, begging to be saved...............so periodically I save some of them from the fate of certain and perpetual devaluation by trading them in for something real.image

Looks like tomorrow will be a good day to take a boat ride out on the lake.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Boating on the lake sounds like a valuable venture. Boat weather, is no doubt here in Florida, but my humble CC is currently T-Toppless and getting sunburned for a pasty like me is
    a lousy option. :
  • Options
    << So did 2014 end up looking like 2008? >>

Since we all know the official numbers are manipulated they should not be believed, right?

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< So did 2014 end up looking like 2008? >>

Since we all know the official numbers are manipulated they should not be believed, right?

image >>

Right its those damn feds and treasury officials of ours. Can't believe a word they say.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 Financial Experts That Are Warning A Great Financial Crisis Is Imminent

Golly! If they can convince 8 more experts of this threat, and each of them can convince 8 more thought leaders, and then they can convince the majority of market participants, boy howdy, all we
    "selfs" might get a real fullfillment of that prophecy image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Heh, looks like it worked! image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> When will the next crash be, and how bad will it be (in % crash in the S&P, Dow, and Nasdaq)? >>

<< <i> Rather than answering my question, you claim the government is controlling the financial markets and they know everything. It just shows that you know nothing-not that the government knows everything. >>

And this shows how naive you are. No one outside of the FED, especially here, is going to be able to tell you when the markets will crash and how far they are going to crash. Best you can do is guess right along with the rest of us. Even the FED cannot pinpoint exactly when and how far but they are in the driver's seat and have the ability to make it happen tomorrow if they so desire. Like I said, my guess is they are postponing it as long as possible. The FED controls the punch bowl. What you get to drink and how much depends on them. >>

I drink bourbon from Kentucky and rum from the Caribbean

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The next crisis will be a currency crisis >>

Humm... Like China devaluing it's currency? Pop goes the balloon...
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    From ZH, Mapping China Contagion:

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Interesting chart.

Chinese slowdown reflects a slowdown in exports... exports to other countries, especially big markets. Canary in the coal mine for the global economy?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Electricity usage in China isn't showing much of a slowdown.

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    If China's exports are energy-intensive that'll tell us something. Some are, some aren't. The Chinese government probably knows more than we do. Their actions suggest something is going on.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>If China's exports are energy-intensive that'll tell us something. Some are, some aren't. The Chinese government probably knows more than we do. Their actions suggest something is going on. >>

It takes electricity to run a factory. Perhaps China overstock piled copper. Perhaps China built too many apartment buildings. Perhaps like every economy, China has realized that growth is not linear. Perhaps China is finding it is not as competitive as it was 10 years ago. Perhaps the yuan revaluation was directed more towards Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand, rather than the IMF.

Domestic problems in China are not indicative of the global economy.

• Options
    Electricity usage in China isn't showing much of a slowdown.

I'd be interested in seeing where you found this information. As I recall, not long ago ZH had an article saying otherwise. Since you always give ZH credibility, what is YOUR source?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Electricity usage in China isn't showing much of a slowdown.

I'd be interested in seeing where you found this information. As I recall, not long ago ZH had an article saying otherwise. Since you always give ZH credibility, what is YOUR source? >>

Information such as this is readily available on a Bloomberg machine. Sorry if you don't have access to one.

• Options
    Information such as this is readily available on a Bloomberg machine. Sorry if you don't have access to one.

The Bloomberg machine doesn't cite a source? As always, consider the source.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Information such as this is readily available on a Bloomberg machine. Sorry if you don't have access to one.

The Bloomberg machine doesn't cite a source? As always, consider the source. >>

The Bloomberg terminal is the source. It's not a TV station. Pay $2000 a month and you can have one.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bloomy thinks it may look like 2008 again. >>

Great timing Ren, thats pretty funny.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    There's a reason that the helicopter drops of moolah went to the banks instead of the general public. Cronyism at it's absolute worst. There was no reason that existing bankruptcy laws shouldn't have been used.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Although many people probably think helicopter money would be much better than giving money to the banks to boost reserves.

I don't. I believe for the average person it's better to have a more buttressed and working banking system if they live in a capitalistic country like the good ole' USA. If you live in a caliphate or Barter town...maybe not so much, imo.
  • Options
    Although many people probably think helicopter money would be much better than giving money to the banks to boost reserves.

I don't. I believe for the average person it's better to have a more buttressed and working banking system if they live in a capitalistic country like the good ole' USA. If you live in a caliphate or Barter town...maybe not so much, imo.

That's the fallacy. A more buttressed and working banking system is possible when you let the poorly-managed ones go OUT of business so that the remaining and better-managed banks take over the business.

Concentrating money drop wealth into the hands of a very, very, very few - doesn't do jack for the economy or the banking system. As ludicrous as it seems, handing $50,000 to every man, woman and child would have resulted in more savings AND more spending AND would have resulted in a healthier banking industry as the money flowed into it through it.

As it is, the free money only kept the worst of the worst in business to fight another day. And here we are, none of the problems were solved.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    If the G had given every man, woman and child on this country $10,000, where do you think it would have ended up?

What would have happened to the economy? And what would have happened when everyone finished allocating that 10k?

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    ttt...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the G had given every man, woman and child on this country $10,000, where do you think it would have ended up?

What would have happened to the economy? And what would have happened when everyone finished allocating that 10k? >>

Certainly no worse than what they actually did which was giving $3 TRILL to the big banks to gamble with. At least if the people got it they would have stimulated the economy, even if for only a few years. The big banks were able to run the stock market shares up 3X with a FED back stop....all the while producing meager GDP growth. J6P didn't benefit from that other than cheap car loans. There were better alternatives. The FED saved the banking system in fall of 2008 by pumping up banks reserves immediately by $1.2 TRILL. And then they had to add another $2-3 TRILL to that over the next 6 years to ensure they stayed solvent. What we don't know is how much QE they have been secretly stuffing into the system that is not recorded anywhere.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Would it be possible to directly answer my question?

• Options
    If the G had given every man, woman and child on this country $10,000, where do you think it would have ended up?

A combination of personal debt reduction, savings, and spending?

What would have happened to the economy?

Demand for certain goods and services would have been pulled forward?

And what would have happened when everyone finished allocating that 10k?

A mild recession, followed by regression toward the mean?

• Options

Not in banker's bonus accounts. Not as much anyway. Some of it would have paid off a bit of debt, and some would have financed purchases (which might actually have stimulated just about every business out there). Lo and Behold, much of the money would have been introduced into the banking system as deposits and/or cash flow.

Where do YOU think it would have ended up?

What would have happened to the economy? And what would have happened when everyone finished allocating that 10k?

See the above. Instead of repairing bank balance sheets instantaneously, the banks would have had to make their money the old-fashioned way: by EARNING IT (credit Smith Barney commercials, circa 1988.)

What would have happened after being allocated? What do YOU think? I think that some actual jobs might have been created, not many but more so than by giving money to the mis-managed tbtf banks.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    A little wake up call for those fooled into believing the economy has improved:

• Options
    Poor people make more babies than rich people, hence greater household formation that brings down the median. A simole data point of there being more poor people doesn't mean a bad economy.

Average hourly income is higher. That's what matters. Wages are rising.

• Options

<< <i>Wages are rising. >>

work hours are dropping. As you are well aware, the chart shows wages are dropping when correctly compared to their purchasing power. Doubling my salary is meaningless if you triple my cost of living.

• Options
    Wages are rising and work hours are dropping?

Oh no! Next we'll hear there's a dangerous glut of leisure time, and injuries from high five mishaps and backslapping accidents are on the rise!

• Options

This Is Not 2008: It's Actually Worse

". . .the ability of government to save the markets and the economy this time around will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. Look for chaos in currency, bond and equity markets on an international scale throughout 2016. Indeed, it already has begun."

• Options
    Originally posted by: derryb

". . .the ability of government to save the markets and the economy this time around will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. Look for chaos in currency, bond and equity markets on an international scale throughout 2016. Indeed, it already has begun."

"A major contributor for this imminent recession is the fallout from a faltering Chinese economy. The megalomaniac communist government has increased debt 28 times since the year 2000. Taking that total north of 300% of GDP in a very short period of time for the primary purpose of building a massive unproductive fixed asset bubble. Now that this debt bubble is unwinding, growth in China is going offline. The renminbi's falling value, cascading Shanghai equity prices (down 40% since June 2014) and plummeting rail freight volumes (down 10.5% y/y), all clearly illustrate that China is not growing at the promulgated 7%, but rather isn't growing at all. The problem is China accounted for 34% of global growth, and the nation's multiplier effect on emerging markets takes that number to over 50%. Therefore, expect more stress on multinational corporate earnings as global growth continues to slow."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: renman95
    Originally posted by: derryb

"A major contributor for this imminent recession is the fallout from a faltering Chinese economy. The megalomaniac communist government has increased debt 28 times since the year 2000. Taking that total north of 300% of GDP in a very short period of time for the primary purpose of building a massive unproductive fixed asset bubble. Now that this debt bubble is unwinding, growth in China is going offline. The renminbi's falling value, cascading Shanghai equity prices (down 40% since June 2014) and plummeting rail freight volumes (down 10.5% y/y), all clearly illustrate that China is not growing at the promulgated 7%, but rather isn't growing at all. The problem is China accounted for 34% of global growth, and the nation's multiplier effect on emerging markets takes that number to over 50%. Therefore, expect more stress on multinational corporate earnings as global growth continues to slow."

If our central planners and central bank have put us in a position where a sound US economy is dependent on that of another nation, then I would say they have failed us miserably. Also, note that the economic woes being experienced around the world are a direct result of US FED actions during and after the 2008 crisis because those nations allowed themseves to be put in that very position. It appears that following the US FED's lead has backfired on many if not all of them. Hopefully they have learned their lesson even if we have not.

The imminent US recession is being caused by failed US monetary/market intervention. The chickens are coming home to roost. We have only ourselves to blame. Those that have seen this coming have been preparing for it. Those that ignored, and even chastised the warnings are on their own.

• Options
  • Options
    One way 2016 is looking a lot like 2008: the price of silver is the same image

• Options
    Sure have a lot of mainstream media going out of their way to tell me that 2016 is not 2008 all over again. That in itself scares me.