Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins You don't Collect Yet Admire

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
Long ago I used to collect the Kennedy series. Even had a top five Registry set. Ever since then, after selling the set- I still admire and totally appreciate the series, especially so for ultra GEM, lustrous mint state examples from 1964 to the 1970-D. Dripping in luster brilliant, or pastel toned, I will pause and admire such coins although
the frequency of doing so is seldom due primarily to the scarcity of such material.

Are there coins you absolutely enjoy yet don't collect for one reason or another?

peacockcoins

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Brasher Doubloons come to mind. image

Mercury Dimes

Indian Head Cents

Walking Liberty Half Dollars

$10 Indian Gold

$20 St. Gaudens Gold

I like the designs of all these.

Also, 2 cent and 3 cent pieces, half dimes and twenty cent pieces...not because of the design, but because of their history.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    Bust gold...

I collect them only in my dreams.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Classic Commems. I assembled the 44-piece type set, but have since sold them all. I still love looking at the cool designs, though.
    Matt
  • nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the look of gem $10 Indians. I'll never collect them as a set, but will probably pick one up at some point.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wanted a gobrecht dollar, but never have owned one because I don't collect type.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any gold & colonials.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early gold. Rare branch mint gold. I'm just not rich enough to assemble a meaningful collection of either.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betts medals
    Hard Times tokens
    Standing Liberty quarters (sold my set in 2007)
    U. S. pattern coins
    colonial coppers
    colonial currency
    Central American Republic coinage
    and many other series........
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    18th century U.S. type coins since I can't afford them. Ditto Gobrecht dollars.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ancients, 16th-17th century crowns.

The super-expensive stuff that serious coin pr0n is made of isn't something I don't collect yet admire, it's something I can't collect.
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Seated liberty dollars.
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1600's talers
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gem Proof Blast White Cameo Barber Dimes. Sommer island hog money. (talk about.opposite ends of the spectrum eh?)
  • The patterns. One day.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Error coins.... Cheers, RickO
  • oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭
    H
  • Liberty Double Eagles
    &
    Proof Peace Dollars

Honorable mention=Seated Dollars
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭
    Patterns!
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commemoratives - but I have bitten a few, the 1918 Illinois etc.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find patterns and tokens to be fascinating, patterns are cool but very expensive and tokens are dripping with history.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Matte proof Lincolns, love their "look" at their best are most beautiful small cents.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gobrecht Dollars. Will never own one but think they are beautiful.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ancient coins, some Greek, mostly Roman.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standing Quarters
    Walkers
    All Bust and Seated
    Indian Cents
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colonials and very early federal (1793-1798) of all denominations, and ancients.

I have one of everything in US type that's easy to get, and quite a few more difficult types, but the early US type eludes me for obviou$ reason$

I have a smattering of foreign and a few easy ancients, as well as a couple of easy colonials and colonial era items (nova, massachusets, a few conders), a couple easy errors, a couple currency items, etc, but you can't collect everything in depth.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I really am starting to admire medieval and darkside coins.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are way too many coins that I admire to mention that I no longer collect.

I have sold all of my non error coins to focus solely on major mint errors with great eye appeal.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most gold coins especially early C+D mints and Proofs and Three dollar gold coins and stellas. All 1793 Liberty cap cents, all 1796 half cents, all 1802 half dimes, and everything else that I cannot afford.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan dollars are pretty coins, and I can respect 'em, but I've never collected 'em except the odd single coin for a type set.

I respect the Overton Bust half nuts and the EAC copper people for their specialized knowledge (ditto the Cherrypicker variety people), but I'll never be one of those laser-focused folks.

I look at the forest or occasionally the trees. They look at the cellular structure of the bark on the trees.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Flowing hair anything, they are so cool but the entry level is just to costly.
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early gold by variety and die state.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I agree with some of the previous ones but I would like to add the Libertas Americana. I keep hoping one of these days. That would be cool to have.
    History, beauty, and rarity together.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof gold from the 1800's.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I've owned a 1921 PEACE $1 in my collection since joining here, but I still look at every example I see online and at shows.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace Dollars
    early copper
    M.S. SLQ's
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely love the look of proof Morgan dollars.
    In general, I think Morgans are so common to the point of being boring. Proofs, especially cameos, get my heart racing.

Also,

$3 gold pieces
    $10 Indian gold
    Early gold
    Flowing hair halves and dollars
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620
    I've been out of the hobby for 30 years or so and it's interesting to me that I see real beauty in some of the series I wouldn't give a second glance to then.

Jefferson nickels for example. That really can be a pretty little coin. Franklin halves, too. I still think Washington quarters are plug ugly but SBA's and SAC's are growing on me.

I only collect by type so the question doesn't really apply, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file