Home Precious Metals
Options

What is your assessment of the current economy?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 7:34AM

@cohodk said:

That 3.3 trillion number is another conspiracy theory used to influence those who wish to be influenced.

So the jump in the Federal Reserve's balance sheet from $870 B before the 08 crisis to over $4.4 T after the crisis never really occurred? LOL, time for another coho reality check.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2019 8:30AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

That 3.3 trillion number is another conspiracy theory used to influence those who wish to be influenced.

So the jump in the Federal Reserve's balance sheet from $870 B before the 08 crisis to over $4.4 T after the crisis never really occurred? LOL, time for another coho reality check.

I do love ya derryb, so this is gonna a little. The original link you show about the 3.3T is dated Dec 2010, at which time you second chart shows the Feds balance sheet increased by only about $1.2T. So, which one of your links is misinformation?

You should have just used a black sharpie to extend that 2nd graph up to 4.4T in 2010. LOL

Unnecessary jab, (but funny)-----you realize the first article is sourced from Bernie Sanders, right? LOL

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

first link describes the $3.3 T loaned out by the US after the crisis before 2011, based on date of article. I provided you a direct link to FED website that confirms these payments through various "Facilities and Programs." You called this FED provided info "conspiracy info."

The FED balance sheet shows what it has backstopped up until 2014. Obviously The US loans made prior to 2010 are not yet absorbed by the FED balance sheet as of 2010. Purpose of the balance sheet was to see if you thought the FED was lying about it as well. At least we agree on one thing: the FED tends to stretch the truth.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2019 9:41AM

Lol deeryb. I already showed you how the conspiracists try to spin. Is it $10 or $3650?

You understand you are rebutting you own rebuttal.

The info provided by the Fed is accurate. But you and your ilk dont understand it. And thats dangerous, as youve demonstarated time and tine again.

The Fed is not stretching the truth. But you are still searching for it. Take off those gloom glasses.

• Options

• Options

Is this fake news based on government provided statistics? LOL

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

possibly headed to a slight recession, possibly not. it's too hard to tell.

the Fed may lower rates. I don't think they will. We are not looking at a definite slowdown and it's too early and too little info to play with definite moves.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

The world of retail (store closures/bankruptcies) says recession "dead ahead."

• Options

@derryb said:
    The world of retail (store closures/bankruptcies) says recession "dead ahead."

I guess thats why retail sales are at record highs.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-retail-sales-statistics-and-trends-3305717

You crack me up berryd. Lol

• Options

• Options

And Detroit has shuttered many factories because no one buys cars anymore. Haha. Im glad you were a govt employee.

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

The greatest economy in a generation Xer's lifetime. Mid 90's was close but not nearly as much building.

• Options

So, just what are central banks saying about the economy by lowering interest rates? LOL

• Options

The us economy isn't nearly so bad off

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2019 5:26PM

. . . until suddenly it isn't.

Guess it's not officially bad until the MSM says it is. LOL.

• Options

@derryb said:
    So, just what are central banks saying about the economy by lowering interest rates? LOL

But what if rates are beginning a multi decade trend higher?

Oh no he didnt!!😉🙂

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 4:57PM

Corporate media won't raise any "red-flags," as they failed to do so before the 2008 financial crisis. They might report some concerns; but, they will never tell you that the canary died. Mostly; corporate media reports business news that is projected as optimistic...glass "half full," and always viewed through "rose colored glasses."

It is truly up to you, to sift through the pom-pom bs, and to think for yourself....they are thinking of their own concerns, and you're not included in that discussion. Sorry! :|

• Options

But I don't see an upturn in the euro zone either

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

But what if a frog had wings?

Were in the "See of Japan." What happens with their economy, our's follows.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

But what if a frog had wings?

Were in the "See of Japan." What happens with their economy, our's follows.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/storms/rain-frog.htm

Maybe they do.

USA is not Japan, or Europe.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2019 9:25PM

@Baley said:
    @cohodk said:
    Ribeyes are $7.99/lb at my local grocer. Do we have an excess of beef? China not buying? If so, then im happy. Yum yum.

$4.99 in Baleyville this week..
    Beautiful thick marbly ones too, almost 2 lbs each...
    Pictures to follow

Finally remembered to take pics next time they were on sale..

Was rib eyes before, this week these..

And for lighter appetites..

Edit: up a dollar a pound
    so there must be inflation 😉

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Yummy...love the smell of charred flesh.

The more you spend, the more you save!!

Haha

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2019 7:15AM

what if rates are beginning a multi decade trend higher?

The obvious answer would be that benefits will be pared back, probably in a significant way, taxes will be increased probably in a significant way, and prices for most essentials will increase probably in a significant way.

One thing that won't happen is that gov.com would declare a default or that the Fed would refrain from intervening in the bond markets, and as in Japan - intervening in the stock market as well.

The banks simply want to own everything, including your house and your future earnings. They already own many of the politicians (but they have to complete in that arena with all the other special interests, so it's not a slam dunk in that arena.)

Bottom Line - The banking system is not your friend.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2019 11:43AM

@cohodk said:
    Yummy...love the smell of charred flesh.

Kaboom!!

The more you spend, the more you save!!

Haha

Yup.
    Four Roses bourbon $15 a bottle,
    if you buy 3. Bought 3 😉

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Dow futures drop 300 points after Chinese media reports that trade talks have made no progress

gold up $8

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the economy is good, because I see more panhandlers than ever.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Dow futures drop 300 points after Chinese media reports that trade talks have made no progress

gold up $8

Good, keep the pressure on the ChiComs until their economy collapses. They need to be put in their place for many reasons. Who else can get away with running concentration camps, forced organ harvesting on living people and countless other human rights atrocities in 2019?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/inside-chinese-camps-thought-detain-million-muslim-uighurs-n1062321

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/06/18/china-killing-prisoners-to-harvest-organs-for-transplant-tribunal-finds/#2515061d53d4

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rollercoaster.

The anticipation and thrill on the ups and downs.

• Options

saved by the tweet

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

The banks simply want to own everything, including your house and your future earnings. They already own many of the politicians (but they have to complete in that arena with all the other special interests, so it's not a slam dunk in that arena.)

Bottom Line - The banking system is not your friend.

:D Pretty much sums it up...

• Options

Mostly cloudy with 100% chance of recession.

• Options

Trump says China trade talks are going very well

• Options
    NIPSZXNIPSZX Posts: 79 ✭✭

This is the best global economy in all of history and it will last the longest in all of history.

However, I think we will have a terrible crash in 2024 that will knock down the stock market to about 10,000 more than where we are now. I think the stock market will crash the DoW back all the way back down to 40,000 in 2024.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Trump says China trade talks are going very well

And the market responded. Gee, wonder why he said that?

• Options
    edited October 12, 2019 1:25AM

@NIPSZX said:
    This is the best global economy in all of history and it will last the longest in all of history.

However, I think we will have a terrible crash in 2024 that will knock down the stock market to about 10,000 more than where we are now. I think the stock market will crash the DoW back all the way back down to 40,000 in 2024.

The economy has been on life support since 2009. Most everything about it is induced temporary breathing. QE has returned. Near zero rates are close to becoming negative. FED has been unable to move rates up so that it can use rate reduction as an effective tool later. Modern Money Theory (Magic Money Tree) is about to blow the lid off of printing. After 2020 election there will much less effort/need to continue fooling the voting public. Fake news is not limited to just politics. And that's just the US. Most other nations in worse shape. Years of FED mismanagement have led to these boom/bust cycles.

A 2024 crash is extremely optimistic.

• Options

The Federal Reserve will be adding assets to its balance sheet again, but Powell insists it’s not “quantitative easing”

"Typically, when the Federal Reserve buys Treasury assets, it’s because of weakness, either in the economy or in the financial system. A weakness that needs to be papered over by money printing, expanding the Fed’s balance sheet and bank reserves."

• Options
    edited October 13, 2019 3:02PM

before the Lehman spike in 2008, the Fed's balance sheet was growing. that was not QE, it was balance sheet growth to meet the needs of the economy. Powell has said it is time to stop shrinking the balance sheet and go back to growth to meet the needs of the economy again. He said this well before the start of QE lite, which is minuscule to the real QE [and had a different purpose]

• Options
    edited October 13, 2019 3:18PM

@MsMorrisine said:

before the Lehman spike in 2008, the Fed's balance sheet was growing. that was not QE, it was balance sheet growth to meet the needs of the economy.

QE officially began in March 2008, six months before Lehman finally collapsed and about the time your chart shows sudden growth in the Fed's balance sheet. During this same six month period the Fed's balance sheet went ballistic quickly.

• Options

it was just a convenient way of referencing the point even if not correct nomenclature.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2019 4:02PM

here is one that goes further back

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WALCL

it is quite odd that we went from needing $900B in assets to $3.75T, and this through the great recession. also note the steepness of the re-growth.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got back from a trip to the caymans...the USD is 80cents there, real estate and tourism booming....with plenty of room to grow....construction there is ridiculous for RE development, I lost count of properties going up that we saw.

The DOW or US action is not the be-all-end-all to think about....

• Options
    edited October 14, 2019 3:27PM

The US economy has the power to take down many other economies when it goes down.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2019 3:02PM

@DrBuster said:
    Just got back from a trip to the caymans...the USD is 80cents there, real estate and tourism booming....with plenty of room to grow....construction there is ridiculous for RE development, I lost count of properties going up that we saw.

you think it is a bubble?

and one wonders where the money is coming from. are the ads in chinese?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@DrBuster said:

you think it is a bubble?

and one wonders where the money is coming from. are the ads in Chinese

Down there I don’t think it’s a RE/Econ bubble close at all yet. Prices were similar to gulf coast Florida circa pre 2008 here but on the island..so, premium adjusted but still fairly cheaper compared to us here then, and construction is booming...and there’s a lot of land open.

Ads in Canadian/UK English across the board...money in seemed to be European still, but that’s first glance attention from what we saw.

Talked to a few folks there - natives, expats, investors/etc.... could set up proper less than the pre-bubble gulf coast Florida and rake more if you part timed it between living and renting out...tempted actually vs our Costa Rica exit plan, but I can work anywhere so still shopping around...quick thoughts anyway.

As far as US....who’s gonna bet against and play the short to screw everyone for a haircut this go round, or keep their dumbass junk plays afloat until they explode and screw all of us all again across the board.....same folks that won both ways last time right??

Are we not paying attention and checking that behavior now...I don’t think we are and won’t have the proper chance to..ever at this point in current state.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

Tax havens are in demand right now and the Caymans are the epicenter for that...so not surprising. Wonder what the land ownership restrictions are there...

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

all I know is there is a major deflation in ice cream, specifically Haagen-dazs , so buy, buy, buy...

keceph `anah
  • Options

@rawteam1 said:
    all I know is there is a major deflation in ice cream, specifically Haagen-dazs , so buy, buy, buy...

not much of a store of value without a freezer