Home Sports Talk
Options

Romo shows his true colors....yet again!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
What can I say ...... the guy is a loser!

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Right, because passing for over 500 yards and 4 TDs is such a loser move.

/eyeroll
  • Options
    Some guys play great, and make great plays when it counts (Elway, Montana, Staubach, Bradshaw)

Some guys play great, and seem to crack under pressure when the game is on the line (Romo, Romo, Romo)
  • Options
    You have to love ignorant folks like dimeman and fitz who are more than eager to prove just how little they know about sports.
  • Options
    Proof

"Romo’s five comebacks in 2012 are a franchise record for a season. His 18 career fourth-quarter comeback wins set the new Cowboys record, surpassing Troy Aikman (16) and Roger Staubach (15). Romo became the first quarterback in team history to lead three consecutive comebacks and game-winning drives in Weeks 13-15. "

"Unlike some quarterbacks on the list, Romo has not padded his overall record with game-winning drives when it was just tied. A whopping 18 of his 19 clutch wins (94.7 percent) have included a comeback. "

"In the one season Romo had a top 10 defense (2009), he won a playoff game. That’s probably not a coincidence."

"Let’s not forget Romo’s 100.7 career passer rating in the fourth quarter and overtime (playoffs included) is the highest among all quarterbacks since 2000 (minimum 150 attempts). "

So, no, the guy isn't a loser, dimeman. He's just been on some mediocre teams.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know who's worse, WTCG or Dimeman. Both coin guys so that may explain it, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know who's worse, WTCG or Dimeman. Both coin guys so that may explain it, LOL.. >>

Gonna go with WTCG just based on sheer volume and the fact that he's still complaining despite two world series titles in the last 3 years.
  • Options
    Dimeman,

I know you say Romo is a terrible clutch performer. Just keep in mind, if not for his 100% stellar performance prior to the int, the Cowboys would never have been in a clutch situation. They would have lost in a blowout. Prior to the int, it was just a superb job by Romo. And the int was only his 2nd this year.
  • Options
    1985fan - Boy what an idiot!!! You like stats on paper better than wins. Don't even put Romo in the same sentence as Troy and Roger who have 5 SB rings between them........how many does Romo have!!!!!! Can you say zero!!!!

And Denver is averaging over 42 points a game so don't blame the defense.

Manning is THAT good. He can think at the line and not screw up like Romo.

You just go on loving Romo.....but he still is a loser! image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Cowboys would have played a little "D" when they were ahead 48-41 you wouldn't have to worry about that int. I guess they did play a little "d". You can't take this one away from Romo.
  • Options
    >>>You can't take this one away from Romo. <<<

That's right....Romo gets the loss!
  • Options
    Right... Blame Romo when your defense gives up 51 points. Makes sense.
  • Options
    That's right.....all a smart QB would have done is take his team down the field with smart safe plays for a winning FG or OT.image

So YES, he lost the game by trying to force a ball where he shouldn't have for a pic....GAME OVER!image

Sorry you can't see this. You probably think Jerry Jones is a good owner too!
  • Options

<< <i>That's right.....all a smart QB would have done is take his team down the field with smart safe plays for a winning FG or OT.image

So YES, he lost the game by trying to force a ball where he shouldn't have for a pic....GAME OVER!image

Sorry you can't see this. You probably think Jerry Jones is a good owner too! >>

Nope, Jerry Jones is a meddlesome owner, but that has NOTHING to do with the FACTS that the Dallas defense is to blame for today's loss, and certainly not Romo. Anyone suggesting Romo is the culprit either (a) has no idea how football is played; (b) thinks only the last play of the game is the only one that matters; or (c) is simply trolling for responses. Either way, the loser today is certainly you, dimeman.

But keep on with that mindless banter, I'm sure your equally idiotic buddies must *love* having you around.
  • Options
    Pay attention here 1985fan...................................

With 2:39 left and the score tied.......nothing......do you understand what nothing means........nothing before that matters. Romo had the ball and it was his to win or lose.....period!!!

He lost it pure and simple and if you can't see this........you are an IDIOT!
  • Options
    Dimeman what apparently is completely and totally lost on YOU is the fact that if he hadn't played lights out, actually outplaying Manning until that point, the Cowboys wouldn't have been in a position to win it anyways. Throw in the absolute abomination the Cowboys defense was today (51 points against are you kidding me?) and this loss can be pinned on just about anyone BUT Romo.

Nothing in the first 57 minutes of the game mattered? Then why the heck do they play 60 minutes?

Just conveniently ignore the FIVE fourth quarter, come from behind, game winning drives the guy put up just last year, and pin your entire analysis on one throw. Ignore all the FACTS and just go with your 'instincts' (although they are totally and completely WRONG). Keep it going, big boy, the more you bluster, the more a fool you look!
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    5 TD's to 1 INT, not really his fault. He played a nearly perfect game against a great QB and almost won with very little support from the Cowboys defense. The late INT was costly but they occasionally happen when a QB throws on nearly every play.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Wish I could find the animated gif of this; someone posted it here years ago:

edited to add: here's one of them

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    That game yesterday was classic Romo. A good, maybe even great quarterback until the game is on the line.

Statistically on paper, he does measure up with Staubach and Aikman. But no one, even the biggest homer Cowboy fans, would ever mention him in the same breath because he can't finish the job. He just doesn't have it in him.
  • Options
    He doesn't have it in him?

You mean like the five fourth quarter comeback from behind winning drives he led last year or nine since 2011 which is second only to Eli Manning?

Right. That Romo sure doesn't have what it takes to close.

/eye roll
  • Options
    Oh, and stown, I don't know if you should be throwing any stones here pal, after all, your QB just set the record for consecutive games with a pick 6, has as many interceptions as TDs, and was BENCHED for TJ Yates on national TV last night.
  • Options
    those 5 fourth quarter comebacks and a few grand will buy Romo a Super Bowl ring.
  • Options

<< <i>those 5 fourth quarter comebacks and a few grand will buy Romo a Super Bowl ring. >>

What exactly is *this* supposed to mean? You just got done saying that 'he doesn't have it in him' to close games, I present clear evidence to the contrary, then you go and say this? Hilarious.
  • Options
    It means that no one gives a flying F about fourth quarter comebacks if he's going to turn it over in every other game.

Seriously, are you Romo's brother or something?
  • Options
    Anyone that blames that loss on Romo knows very little about football. If you are a true Cowboys fan and still think Romo is the problem in Dallas, you are a complete moron. I assure you that a Rob Ryan defense would not have given up 51 points yesterday.

If you say everyone has that problem with Manning, you are even more moronier. The Broncos with the same team last year, with the exception of Welker, never scored 40 in a game let alone 50. Only team to give up 50 this year other than Dallas, is the horrific Eagles defense (currently ranked #27 total D).
  • Options

<< <i>It means that no one gives a flying F about fourth quarter comebacks if he's going to turn it over in every other game.

Seriously, are you Romo's brother or something? >>

So he has two picks in over 180 attempts. Even someone as dense as you must realize the Cowboys wouldn't have even been close if not for Romo's epic game right?
  • Options
    DIMEMAN,

How can you say, "nothing before that matters"? Of course, it matters. Would you have preferred your team losing in a blowout? That's what would have happened if not for Romo's incredible game. He at least gave the Cowboys a chance. And remember, even Peyton took awhile before he won a playoff game. And even he threw a pick six in a Super Bowl, with the game on the line. And even Tom Brady couldn't lead his team to even one TD yesterday. There are 32 starting QBS in the NFL. I'd say Romo is in about the top 6-8. 2 of the 3 Cowboy losses have been to unbeaten teams, and both in close games, so they're really not doing bad at all. Romo might just win a Super Bowl sometime, despite critcs like you. I remember some saying Peyton never would, or Steve Young or John Elway never would. Be patient.
  • Options

<< <i>That game yesterday was classic Romo. A good, maybe even great quarterback until the game is on the line.

Statistically on paper, he does measure up with Staubach and Aikman. But no one, even the biggest homer Cowboy fans, would ever mention him in the same breath because he can't finish the job. He just doesn't have it in him. >>

Of the Cowboy fans I know, and there are some *serious* diehards here, not one believes Romo can hold Staubach or Aikman's jock.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some athletes live for handling the ball with the game on the line. They want the ball in their hands.

Other athletes prefer not to have the ball in their hands with the game on the line. They defer to the athlete who does want the ball.

For those athletes that do want the ball in their hands with the game on the line, you can look at them and evaluate how they perform with the game on the line.

Many of these athletes who "want the ball" lack the "mysterious something" that allows them to be able to perform and deliver when the game is on the line. Only a few of these athletes do have the "mysterious something".

Michael Jordan is one such athlete. He wanted the ball in crunch time and he performed at his best in crunch time.

To date, Romo has not shown that he performs at his best in crunch time.

The same can be said for many other top rated quarterbacks (including Peyton Manning if you look at his medicore playoff record).

Of course, in football there are many more players on the field that there are in basketball. A successful football team results more from great team play, than it does from great indivdual play. In basketball, a single superstar can make a difference. It is possible for a single person on a basketball team to carry the team to a title.

Romo has shown great abilities to move a team and produce points. I have seen Dimeman post threads repeatedly about Romo's tendency to make mistakes in crunch time. I saw it first hand yesterday when he threw the interception that lead the Denver's winning field goal. My first thought when I saw the interception was "Romo did not have to try to force that pass into such tight coverage" (there was 2 and a half minutes left) and my second thought was "I get what Dimeman has been saying".

In the end, I can only thank Romo for handing a gift win to Denver (for Dallas could have and should have used up the clock on its last drive and it should have kicked the winning field goal).

• Options

<< <i>

>>

This is totally be completely false. He owns the best 4th quarter passer rating among active quarterbacks and the second most come fom behind game winning drives. He HAS shown he can do it in crunch time-people just want to forget when he does.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Romo is currently 2nd in TD's and QB rating and 3rd in completion %. He has fewer INT's than Brady, Rodgers, and Brees.

Romo outplayed Manning yesterday but lost, it happens b/c football is a team game.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>Some athletes live for handling the ball with the game on the line. They want the ball in their hands.

Other athletes prefer not to have the ball in their hands with the game on the line. They defer to the athlete who does want the ball.

For those athletes that do want the ball in their hands with the game on the line, you can look at them and evaluate how they perform with the game on the line.

Many of these athletes who "want the ball" lack the "mysterious something" that allows them to be able to perform and deliver when the game is on the line. Only a few of these athletes do have the "mysterious something".

Michael Jordan is one such athlete. He wanted the ball in crunch time and he performed at his best in crunch time.

The same can be said for many other top rated quarterbacks (including Peyton Manning if you look at his medicore playoff record).

Of course, in football there are many more players on the field that there are in basketball. A successful football team results more from great team play, than it does from great indivdual play. In basketball, a single superstar can make a difference. It is possible for a single person on a basketball team to carry the team to a title.

Romo has shown great abilities to move a team and produce points. I have seen Dimeman post threads repeatedly about Romo's tendency to make mistakes in crunch time. I saw it first hand yesterday when he threw the interception that lead the Denver's winning field goal. My first thought when I saw the interception was "Romo did not have to try to force that pass into such tight coverage" (there was 2 and a half minutes left) and my second thought was "I get what Dimeman has been saying".

In the end, I can only thank Romo for handing a gift win to Denver (for Dallas could have and should have used up the clock on its last drive and it should have kicked the winning field goal). >>

Very well said.

• Options
    It hilarious that a guy whose team's QB just set the record for consecutive games with a pick six is piling on Romo. Interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>It hilarious that a guy whose team's QB just set the record for consecutive games with a pick six is piling on Romo. Interesting. >>

So because Schaub sucks, anyone who lives in Houston can't say Romo sucks?
  • Options
    If one had the luxury of picking any QB currently playing on an NFL team to be the QB for your favorite team in the Super Bowl, which QB do you want?

How many would pick Romo over all othe rQB's?
  • Options

<< <i>If one had the luxury of picking any QB currently playing on an NFL team to be the QB for your favorite team in the Super Bowl, which QB do you want?

How many would pick Romo over all othe rQB's? >>

TWO........Jerry Jones and 1985fan
  • Options

<< <i>If one had the luxury of picking any QB currently playing on an NFL team to be the QB for your favorite team in the Super Bowl, which QB do you want?

How many would pick Romo over all othe rQB's? >>

That's not the question. How many would you take over Romo? List them please.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It hilarious that a guy whose team's QB just set the record for consecutive games with a pick six is piling on Romo. Interesting. >>

So because Schaub sucks, anyone who lives in Houston can't say Romo sucks? >>

It's the height of hypocrisy to criticize a much superior QB when your own teams QB sucks.
  • Options
    Peyton Manning
    Philip Rivers
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Matt Ryan
    Matthew Stafford
    Andrew Luck
    Russell Wilson
    Tom Brady
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Andy Dalton
    Colin Kaepernick
    Joe Flacco
    Eli Manning

Each of these QBs knows how to win and/or gives my team a much better chance to win than Romo
  • Options

<< <i>How many would pick Romo over all othe rQB's? >>

Not including the Cowboys and with his $108MM contract?

Zero.
  • Options
    Actually I asked two questions.

The first question is the primary question and I am hoping a number of persons will reply with their answer to that question.

The second question was not phrased well and in fact should not have been a question at all. I was thinking about how many people would answer the first question and out of the number of people who did answer the first question, how many of them would have picked Romo.

• Options
    In that case, I definitely would pass on Romo and gladly take any QB walton posted above.

In regards to NFL teams, after thinking about it, there may be one. Tampa is 0-4 and flat out released their opening day quarterback, though may be tough cap wise.
  • Options

<< <i>Peyton Manning
    Philip Rivers
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Matt Ryan
    Matthew Stafford
    Andrew Luck
    Russell Wilson
    Tom Brady
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Andy Dalton
    Colin Kaepernick
    Joe Flacco
    Eli Manning

Each of these QBs knows how to win and/or gives my team a much better chance to win than Romo >>

Andy Dalton? Matthew Stafford? Matt Ryan? LOL Forget it. You know absolutely NOTHING about the NFL.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Andy Dalton? Matthew Stafford? Matt Ryan? LOL Forget it. You know absolutely NOTHING about the NFL. >>

Maybe I don't.

Why don't you enlighten me by posting more meaningless stats that have absolutely nothing to do with being a strong leader, being able to handle pressure situations when it counts, and possessing the ability to make wise decisions when your team and fans are counting on you not to screw up?
  • Options
    Quick, who has more playoff wins between Schaub and Romo? What's that? They both have one?

Schaub, career 64% completion percentage, 128 TDs to 79 INTs, 90.9 career passer rating.
    Romo, career 65% completion percentage, 190 TDs to 93 INTs, 96.6 career passer rating.

By the way, they've played in nearly the same number of games (123 to 126).

So keep on believing that Schaub is somehow, someway a better QB. The numbers, the FACTS don't lie.

• Options

<< <i>
    So keep on believing that Schaub is somehow, someway a better QB. The numbers, the FACTS don't lie. >>

When did I ever say Schaub was better than Romo? Actually, if you consult my list of QBs better than Romo that's sitting just above your post, you won't find Schaub there. You have the focus of Tony Romo in the fourth quarter.
  • Options
    I was replying to stownie. And romos laser like focus in the fourth quarter (best active rating) is something to aspire to.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a surreal thread this is. But then again, when a guy who has been kicked off the boards multiple times enters the fray, what can one really expect? Mind you, this is also the cat who tried to amaze us with his prognostication skills, only to go .67 picking SU winners (weeee!) through the first two weeks of the season. I hate to tell you this, sir, but if the best you can do is pick two out of three NFL games correctly when there's no line attached, you most certainly need to stop. Oh wait, you did! Therefore I must give credit where credit is due. Without question the wisest thing you've ever done, and that includes anything that has rolled off of your fingers. The next time I have a rough week ahead of me, I'm going to politely ask 1985fanaxtell to pick ATS so I can get things started off on the right foot by incorporating a bout of laughter.

As for the topic at hand, last I checked it's all about slipping a ring on your finger. If you haven't accomplished that, you've haven't attained the ultimate goal and nothing else matters. No one remembers second place and beyond, and even if they do, they couldn't care less. It's difficult enough finding someone who can tell you the two participants from the '08 Super Bowl, let alone which teams made it into the playoffs that year. And right now that's Romo's claim to fame: he has played in one Divisional Round game since he has been at the helm. So go ahead and make yourself look even more foolish by googling stats like a dope in an attempt to provide "proof" about how "clutch" he is. Anything you come up with I can combat with six words: one playoff win in seven years. T.J. Yates -- you know, Matt Schaub's backup -- has just as many at a fraction of the cost. And if you go off spewing more nonsense about the teams he played on, etc., then go right ahead. Perhaps someone who cares enough will come along with all of the franchises that have had more playoff success than the Cowboys over the past seven years, including all statistical ranks and the cast of characters who had their hands underneath a center's ass. That, in turn, might even be more revealing than your lack of knowledge when you attempt to pick games.

Then we have yesterday's game. Romo's career in a microcosm. Showing brilliance for the first 58 minutes, then completely nullifying it with one play that ultimately cost his team the game. When you are one two-minute drive away from breaking Norm Van Brocklin's record for most passing yards in a game, it stands to reason that a QB with any semblance of the "it" factor would be able to seal the deal. Oh, and I failed to mention that breaking said record would also put his team in a number of enviable positions: To actually win the game. To create a significant level of confidence moving forward by beating the team that's already being crowned by a lot of people. To retain a one-game lead in an otherwise abysmal division. To completely switch the momentum after losing to a team that was punked by the Raiders last night. Didn't happen, didn't happen, didn't happen, and didn't happen. Why? SanctionII's post. I'm very thankful he chimed in to actually provide some real substance.

Think of it another way. The Broncos' D hadn't stopped the Cowboys all day, yet they had the daunting task of finding a way to do so in order to win (or at least prolong) the game. In a situation like that, I can see how it would be very easy to wither up and die. You know, be resigned to your fate based on 58 minutes of empirical evidence. Except something strange happened along the way. Danny Travathan had a bout of amnesia and actually made a play. Something Tony Romo didn't do. Once again, SanctionII's post. Same freaking song, and I've lost count of how many verses. Oh, but I forgot, so incredibly clutch! All of the comebacks! That 4Q passer rating! Dude sounds nonpareil! Surely a guy who is being showered with all of these superlatives has two or three rings thus far, no?

Tap the brakes, get drug tested and (most importantly) refrain from being removed from a message board when you're a grown ass man.

• Options
    Oh snap.
  • Options
    Hey Stown you're logged into the wrong account.

I'm not the only one defending Romo by the way. Just because those aattacking Romo are totally and completely inept at being able to understand that talking points from the media are just that.

Stop buying into what the media shovels you and do some critical thinking. I know it's hard but you can do jt!