Home Sports Talk
Options

Fantasy Football Talk

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who is going to be a stud/dud this year?????????

Comments

• Options
    I got the #2 pick this year PPR league.

I think Im going with Doug Martin over Foster, everywhere I read it predicts Foster to break down because of his heavy workload last year and he is not practicing.

Im 99% sure Martin is the guy but ofcourse Im nervous of the Sophmore Slump...
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Martin will get a lot of touches, but Tampa just isn't going to score often this year- Just not a great football team. #2 seems awfully high for a guy on a bad team like that.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Aaron Hernandez could be a sleeper.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    In PPR I like Foster/Spiller over Martin and put Rice on level terms with him. Can't really make a mistake with pick 2-6 this year. It's what you do in rounds 2/3/4 that are critical.

How many teams in your league? Any weird rules?
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    perk - I also have the #2 in a PPR. I was set to draft Charles, but after yesterday's news I might need to re-think that, or at least see how long he'll be out. I won't be drafting Foster, I'm leaning Martin right now.

McAdams - why do you think Tampa won't score much? They scored plenty last year, and if anything, their offensive line will be better than last year, as they get 2 Pro Bowlers back who suffered injuries last year.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course, if you're in one of those leagues where some moron drafts Aaron Rodgers for the first pick, then it's time for Purple Jesus! image

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    CJ Spiller is going to be a hands down stud. Hardly a reach since he's being talked about already, but the guy sported a gaudy YPA last year, and was third in YAC, and this year is only going to get the ball even more, since the Fitzpatrick experiment is over.

This year more than in recent history, you have to draft RB early (if you're in a traditional scoring league). There is simply too much depth at QB to even worry about taking a top flight QB in the first round.
  • Options
    Its a tough call at #2. I think regardless if Tampa scores alot or not Martin is a solid pick, even with Tampa playing behind would mean that he would catch alot balls out of the backfield although Tampa will be strong on D.

I think Trent Richardson comes to mind more than Martin when I think of a bad team, Spiller too but Spiller is Nasty running for a 6 YPC last year and hauling in 50 + balls.

Charles could be in for a monster year if he stays healthy, and that is a big IF already dinged up.

My top

AP
    Martin
    Foster
    Spiller
    Charles
    Richardson

Mentioning any of these backs sounds fine although Foster not practicing worries me along with his YPC going steadily down especially after 400+ touches last year.

Im 75% on Martin 20% with Charles and huge 5% maybe with Spiller.
  • Options

<< <i>In PPR I like Foster/Spiller over Martin and put Rice on level terms with him. Can't really make a mistake with pick 2-6 this year. It's what you do in rounds 2/3/4 that are critical.

How many teams in your league? Any weird rules? >>

12 Team league, 1 point per reception and 6 points per TD pass/run/rec
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    6 pt per TD pass/run/rec ...If this is true I would strongly recommend you drafting Brees in round 2.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options

<< <i>6 pt per TD pass/run/rec ...If this is true I would strongly recommend you drafting Brees in round 2. >>

-3 for picks though....

Im waiting on a QB this year, I plan on grabbing a stud WR if Fitzgerald, Roddy White or Andre Johnson is there, or possibly MJD or Sproles...

QB's like Romo, RG3, Stafford will be there later
  • Options
    The old RB/RB run for rounds 1 and 2 is what I'd recommend, as WR is far too spotty and there are simply too many quality QBs to waste on a first or second round pick.
  • Options

Spiller isn't going to get the ball any more than he did last year because he can't stay on the field and Buffalo blows mightily!
    It never leaves you...
  • Options

<< <i>Spiller isn't going to get the ball any more than he did last year because he can't stay on the field and Buffalo blows mightily! >>

I'm not sure why you say he can't stay on the field - he played in all 16 games each of the last two years and 14 in his rookie campaign. It wasn't his fault the Bills were desperately trying to prop up a failing QB, and they felt splitting time with Jackson was a good move. The offensive coordinator is already on record as saying they're going to run CJ until he throws up, and for the guy can take a hit, too (as I said earlier he was third among qualified RB's with over 2 yards after contact). He's the best offensive player on that team, and yes, they might be bad, but someone has to run 20 times a game, and for all intents and purposes it's going to be him and him alone.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Spiller isn't going to get the ball any more than he did last year because he can't stay on the field and Buffalo blows mightily! >>

People that actually paid attention to Spiller the last couple years, rather than only rely on YE stats and FF 'guru' talking points, would agree with you. I'm in the former since I drafted Fred Jackson in '11 and in hindsight, stole Spiller in the final round last year. On almost a regular basis, he would get nicked up and have to be replaced during drives, usually sitting out the following series as well. Having said that, there were many times he would show potential greatness on breakaways.

The $64K question is, can he become a featured back with 20+ carries and 5+ catches over the course of a whole season? Throw in questionable QBs and new offensive scheme, maybe but I dunno.. Is he worth a top 10 selection? Well, I believe high picks should be used for consistent players rather than speculation but again, who knows.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

People that actually paid attention to Spiller the last couple years, rather than only rely on YE stats and FF 'guru' talking points, would agree with you. I'm in the former since I drafted Fred Jackson in '11 and in hindsight, stole Spiller in the final round last year. On almost a regular basis, he would get nicked up and have to be replaced during drives, usually sitting out the following series as well. Having said that, there were many times he would show potential greatness on breakaways.

The $64K question is, can he become a featured back with 20+ carries and 5+ catches over the course of a whole season? Throw in questionable QBs and new offensive scheme, maybe but I dunno.. Is he worth a top 10 selection? Well, I believe high picks should be used for consistent players rather than speculation but again, who knows. >>

I think you're mixing up Spiller and Jackson in terms of durability. Spiller's only had one real injury, a shoulder, but has played in every game the last two years. Jackson, on the other hand, is much older (32 vs 26) and much less durable (10 games each of the last two years.). Throw in Spiller's insane YPC of 6 last year and his nearly unmatched speed, and you have the makings of a top 5 RB. The more people who pass on him, the better it is for us who want an elite RB.
    As far as 'consistent' RBs, there's exactly 2 out there: Peterson and Foster. Every other elite level RB is going to have some level of question or doubt. Spiller, to me at least, presents the best combination of speed, size, youth, and explosiveness as any other RB in the league.

The worst enemy Spiller has had in his career has been Chan Gailey. His adamant refusal to give the bulk of the carries to Spiller is the only reason he hasn't been elite. Let's also not ignore that even in his limited 200 or so carriers, he still racked up 1200 yards and over 450 yards on receptions.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I foresee Shady McCoy bouncing back this season. Not the 20-TD blip from two years ago, but definitely a regression toward the mean. With Reid out and Kelly in, expect quick, fast and up-tempo. There's going to be more emphasis on the run, as well as getting the ball to him out in space -- and that's where LeSean is at his best.

Prediction: a lot of cracked ankles and double-digit scores.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you're mixing up Spiller and Jackson >>

You're really not good at thought policing. Read my post again and remember, I consistently started CJ last year and had Jackson the year before. Kinda familiar with Chan but yeah, go ahead and tell me things I already know.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Questioning Spillers durability is a very valid question, Spiller was in fact a stud when he was making big plays but look at his carries for the season and the fact that it lists 16 games played is deceiving, he STARTED 9 games and had 207 carries and that is the case for Stowns post.

A true feature back will get 300+ carries so as far as Im concerned it remains to be seen if Spiller can be a fulltime runner.

• Options
    Unless Fred Jackson isn't in there, he's just streaky and in fantasy that's exactly what you don't need. You have to have consistency from a #1 pick. All that aside, I'd take him in a second if he played for say...the Redskins...but he plays for the Bills and they baaalllloooowwww. So not only does he have to share with Jackson, he has to do it on minimal possessions per game.
    It never leaves you...
  • Options

<< <i>Questioning Spillers durability is a very valid question, Spiller was in fact a stud when he was making big plays but look at his carries for the season and the fact that it lists 16 games played is deceiving, he STARTED 9 games and had 207 carries and that is the case for Stowns post.

A true feature back will get 300+ carries so as far as Im concerned it remains to be seen if Spiller can be a fulltime runner. >>

It wasn't his durability that kept him from getting 300+ carries, it was a coach who was fired who kept him from it. Throw in the fact that Jackson was, in fact, the fragile one and you have the makings of a monster year for Spiller. The new O-coordinator has already said he's going to feed the ball to him until he 'throws up', and Spiller is eyeing a 2000 yard season. The guy is a beast. If he was fragile, he wouldn't be posting AP like 6 yards per carry and nearly leading the league in yards after contact.

• Options
    I might draft Spiller as an RB2. The only way I even draft ANY Bills player would be with a gun to my head:

My Top 16 RB:
    Adrian Peterson, MIN
    Doug Martin, TB
    Ray Rice, BAL
    Jamaal Charles, KC
    Arian Foster, HOU
    DeMarco Murray, DAL
    Alfred Morris, WAS
    Trent Richardson, CLE
    Marshawn Lynch, SEA
    Chris Johnson, TEN
    Steven Jackson, ATL
    C.J. Spiller, BUF
    Maurice Jones-Drew, JAC
    LeSean McCoy, PHI
    Matt Forte, CHI
    Reggie Bush, DET
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    I have #4 pick in our draft and I am going with Ray Rice. I too am staying away from QB`s until later rounds. There are quite a few good ones playing now. In our league someone always picks up Aaron Rodgers the 1st round.
  • Options

<< <i>I might draft Spiller as an RB2. The only way I even draft ANY Bills player would be with a gun to my head:

My Top 16 RB:
    Adrian Peterson, MIN
    Doug Martin, TB
    Ray Rice, BAL
    Jamaal Charles, KC
    Arian Foster, HOU
    DeMarco Murray, DAL
    Alfred Morris, WAS
    Trent Richardson, CLE
    Marshawn Lynch, SEA
    Chris Johnson, TEN
    Steven Jackson, ATL
    C.J. Spiller, BUF
    Maurice Jones-Drew, JAC
    LeSean McCoy, PHI
    Matt Forte, CHI
    Reggie Bush, DET >>

2 things, #1 Im really glad I dont see McFaddens name in there #2 I would take out Demarco Murray and put in Ridley.

Hard to argue Ridleys numbers, Im not being a homer but the Pats will be running the ball maybe more than last year and Murray has been a huge disapointment after flashing a few huge games a few years ago, injuries and just flat out not getting it going.
  • Options
    I will never, never, never draft a Patriot running back. You never know who's going to get the rock from week to week. It's a three-headed monster in New England with Ridley, Vereen, and Blount. I mean we all know who the best back is, but Mr. Personality Bill Belichick will keep everyone guessing for the entire season. I'd draft their QB, WR, and TE, but I stay away from their RB.
  • Options

<< <i>I will never, never, never draft a Patriot running back. You never know who's going to get the rock from week to week. It's a three-headed monster in New England with Ridley, Vereen, and Blount. I mean we all know who the best back is, but Mr. Personality Bill Belichick will keep everyone guessing for the entire season. I'd draft their QB, WR, and TE, but I stay away from their RB. >>

Don't forget about Bolden.
  • Options

<< <i>I will never, never, never draft a Patriot running back. You never know who's going to get the rock from week to week. It's a three-headed monster in New England with Ridley, Vereen, and Blount. I mean we all know who the best back is, but Mr. Personality Bill Belichick will keep everyone guessing for the entire season. I'd draft their QB, WR, and TE, but I stay away from their RB. >>

They're going to run a ton, but you're right, there's no definitive back there, but Ridley looks to be the primary back.
  • Options
    Well my long anticipated draft was today and after many beers I put together this rag tag squad...

QB- Rodgers
    QB- Tannehill

RB- Martin
    RB- Ivory
    RB- Bryce Brown
    RB- Leshoure
    RB- Bernard Pierce

WR-Brandon Marshall
    WR- Colston
    WR- Jordy Nelson
    WR- Heyward Bay

TE- Rudolph
    TE- Fllener

K-Tucker

D- Pozluszky
    D- Spikes
    D- Henderson

RB's flew off the board except for Calvin Johnson, I grabbed Rodgers in the 3rd Round which I thought was a steal
  • Options
    RBs were a hot commodity in my league as well, with 9 of the first 10 picks being RB. Running back gets ugly quickly. I drafted ninth in a 10 team standard non-PPR league, and felt fortunate to get Alfred Morris and Steven Jackson.
  • Options

<< <i>RBs were a hot commodity in my league as well, with 9 of the first 10 picks being RB. Running back gets ugly quickly. I drafted ninth in a 10 team standard non-PPR league, and felt fortunate to get Alfred Morris and Steven Jackson. >>

Nice Running back tandem, Morris should be great especially in a non ppr league you dont lose much there cause Morris doesnt catch alot of balls. Since im in a ppr I had felt deep into the 2nd round Marshall was a great pick, especially since the good backs were gone. Im excited that Rodgers was there in the 3rd, hopefully I can get lucky with one of my other backs.
  • Options
    Perk - I'm curious...do you start 2 QB's and/or 2 TE's in your league? If not, my suggestion would be to dump your backups, and pick up two more "lottery tickets" at RB. Nice WR corps though.
  • Options

<< <i>Perk - I'm curious...do you start 2 QB's and/or 2 TE's in your league? If not, my suggestion would be to dump your backups, and pick up two more "lottery tickets" at RB. Nice WR corps though. >>

1 QB and 1 TE

we have the option of either a RB/WR/TE for the flex position.

Any suggestions on what other backup running backs to take? tate is gone and Im pretty sure I get the best of the rest with Brown and Pierce...
  • Options
    We drafted a couple weeks ago and are a 16-team league, dynasty with two protections*, custom scoring system, and we added a flex slot this year to solve some IR issues (increased roster size by one, the line-up remained unchanged, and only eligible at RB, WR, TE). I picked 14th due to losing the conference playoff game but did break even with fees:

Anticipated starting lineup:

Brees*
    McCoy*
    Ingram
    Colston
    T Smith
    J Finley
    Broncos
    Hartley

Bench:

EJ Manuel
    Ballard
    Hillman
    Wheaton
    J Thomas
    NO
    Tavecchio (failed gamble and waiting for waiver process to start. with 16 teams and 2 kicker spots, guaranteed to grab a replacement)

No one was sober by the start, I reached with some picks, and even after 21 years, it was great times.
  • Options
    You probably have the best two backups right now besides Tate, but unless the starter gets hurt, they won't help much.

Any backup RB will do, although I'd look towards those on a team where the RB has a history of injury. Maybe Marcel Reese, who was a beast when McFadden was out last year. Moreno, if available.
  • Options
    I'm in seven leagues, I might have a fantasy football problem.

I ended up with Jamaal Charles in FIVE leagues... not on purpose, I assure you. I picked up his handcuff in every league, because I don't really trust JC.

Here are my starting lineups:

12-Team PPR:
    RGIII
    R. Bush
    J. Charles
    V. Jackson
    D. Thomas
    C. Shorts (flex)
    A. Gates
    G. Hartley
    Bears

12-Team PPR (Keeper = AP in 2nd Round):
    T. Brady
    R. Bush
    A. Peterson
    V. Cruz
    C. Shorts
    P. Garcon (flex)
    J. Cook
    S. Janikowski
    Bengals

12-Team Standard:
    RGIII
    J. Charles
    D. Murray (flex)
    D. Bryant
    E. Decker
    C. Shorts
    J. Cook
    S. Janikowski
    Bears

14-Team PPR:
    D. Brees
    D. Martin
    L. Miller
    M. Ball (flex)
    V. Cruz
    M. Williams
    A. Gates
    S. Janikowski
    Steelers

14-Team PPR:
    A. Luck
    J. Charles
    G. Bernard
    Julio Jones
    V. Cruz
    M. Williams (flex)
    J. Cook
    D. Bailey
    Patriots

10-Team Standard IDP:
    M. Stafford
    J. Charles
    T. Richardson
    L. Miller (flex)
    R. Cobb
    C. Shorts
    G. Olsen
    S. Gostkowski
    L. Landry
    R. Harper
    L. Fletcher
    L. Timmons
    G. Atkins
    C. Johnson

12-Team Standard:
    A. Rodgers
    J. Charles
    M. Ball
    D. Amendola
    R. Cobb
    T. Hilton
    J. Cook
    D. Bailey
    Bengals

• Options

<< <i>I'm in seven leagues, I might have a fantasy football problem. >>

Do you have any cheering priorities? For example, one league pays more than the other but you're going against a player you have in another league. Cannot imagine that number of simultaneous WOOHOO! DOH! you have throughout the season.
  • Options
    It happens all too often where I'm cheering for a guy on my team and playing against him in another. I typically favor the leagues where I spent the most for the buy-in.

Being in multiple leagues is fun for me. I don't remember a season where I didn't made a profit, and I've been playing since the late 90s. Last year I was in seven leagues, my total buy-in was for around $340 and I collected over $800 in winnings. The year before that I was in six leagues, was in five Super Bowls and won four of them. I've gotta be doing something right! lol

Just like the hobby of baseball card collecting, I enjoy hobbies where you can have fun and make money at the same time! image
  • Options
    The cheering conflicts are what prevents me from playing more than two leagues. Although regardless of the number of leagues I might join, there is only one that I really care about, and that is the one I'm in with my college buddies. It trumps all other football-related activities that I do (pick-ems, survivor, etc.). If I needed my RB to score 20 pts to win a fantasy game, but it meant I got knocked out of the survivor pool, or didn't win the weekly pool, then so be it. I'm cheering for my RB.

The question I have for everyone - does your fantasy team mean more to you than your favorite NFL team? For me, it's a resounding yes. I'd much rather win my main fantasy league then have the Patriots win the Super Bowl.
  • Options

<< <i>The question I have for everyone - does your fantasy team mean more to you than your favorite NFL team? For me, it's a resounding yes. I'd much rather win my main fantasy league then have the Patriots win the Super Bowl. >>

Oh hell yes... I'm a Ravens AND Browns fan, and I try not to draft from either team. I have Trent Richardson in one league, but that's because I really didn't have a choice. I drafted him with my 11th pick!
  • Options
    CJ Spiller needs to average 130.6 yards for the next 15 games to hit 2,000.
  • Options

<< <i>CJ Spiller needs to average 130.6 yards for the next 15 games to hit 2,000. >>

Knew something like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^was coming! image
  • Options

<< <i>CJ Spiller needs to average 130.6 yards for the next 15 games to hit 2,000. >>

As opposed to the 125 per game it takes to get to 2000 over 16 games. Don't worry, stown, Jackson will get hurt and Spiller will only improve. Let's not forget New England was a top 10 running defense last year.

• Options

And based on that same 'logic', that one game determines how the season will go, Manning is going to throw for 112 TDs!

• Options
    I already know how this ends. You engage me, I make you look completely foolish, and then you play the Tinkerbell card.

No thanks. Go yap elsewhere, boy.
  • Options
    In other news, Adrian Peterson needs over 160 yards a game to accomplish his goal of 2,500 yards this year.
  • Options

<< <i>CJ Spiller is going to be a hands down stud. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>CJ Spiller is going to be a hands down stud. >>

image >>

Why don't you enlighten us as to why you think that's funny?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred Jackson was clearly the superior back this afternoon. Will that be the case next week? Who knows, but I bet those who drafted Spiller in top 5 are at least wondering about the wisdom of that pick.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Fred Jackson was clearly the superior back this afternoon. Will that be the case next week? Who knows, but I bet those who drafted Spiller in top 5 are at least wondering about the wisdom of that pick. >>

You could say that about any number of guys. Take out AP's first run (albeit it a 78 yard one), he rushed 17 times for 15 yards. Tom Brady had a 76 QB rating. Marshawn Lynch rushed for 43 yards. Lots of high draft pick guys were a bust today.
  • Options

<< <i>Fred Jackson was clearly the superior back this afternoon. Will that be the case next week? Who knows, but I bet those who drafted Spiller in top 5 are at least wondering about the wisdom of that pick. >>

Indeed.

As I said earlier in this thread, take calculated risks and draft consistent players in the first round. It's safe to assume that even if the best players have a mediocre game (or even games), their averages should even out by year's end. If you're not in a keeper league, why reach in the first 10 picks, even more so within the first 5? Assuming everything goes CJ's way from here on out, he could (key word) have a great year. That's fine, but give me someone that has established himself and common sense expects him to have a good year.

Don't get me wrong, gambles can pay off but I'd rather do that in the later rounds. For example, I took Julius Thomas in the 15th round. We use sportsline and the 'draft board' didn't list him under TEs; I had to manually search his name and place him in my que. He very well may be a one game wonder but my risk was essentially stems and seeds.