Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set

OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
Available May 9 - June 6

Looks like this will be my first purchase this year from the Mint.

US Mint
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been some threads and I agree it will be my first purchase too. It would be nice if they repriced it a little lower based on the silver drop.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mintage Limit: None
    Household Limit: None $149.95 I will buy some. But i will not back up the truck. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass. Learned the hard way (spotting) not to collect ASEs and price plus grading doesn't offer much promise on flipping any. I believe the big boys will be flooding the market.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I will get one for my collection.

It would be nice if they stop all these anniversary sets for a few years.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...$150?????? I think not...changed my mind at that price. Really just a novelty and bullion. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they appear to be repricing silver right now.

perhaps this will get a reprice.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm.

What did you guys think the US Mint would charge for these? Since the 2012 two coin set was $149.95, wasn't anybody been paying attention?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a set from Denver to round it out. Then I agree, we can stop.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Price is too steep for me!
  • Options
    This set is likely to have a mintage below 250,000, very likely less then last years SF set.

That set has a value of $175 or so.

Why would one expect this set to sell less then that set?

The bullion value of the set will not have a ton of effect on this long time in my mind.

• Options

<< <i>This set is likely to have a mintage below 250,000, very likely less then last years SF set.

The bullion value of the set will not have a ton of effect on this long time in my mind. >>

The difference between this years & last years set is the unc. coin. It's unique to this set and not available in a single or any other set.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Available May 9 - June 6

Looks like this will be my first purchase this year from the Mint.

US Mint >>

At $99/set I'd pick up a couple. At $149 it seems too high.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm.

What did you guys think the US Mint would charge for these? Since the 2012 two coin set was $149.95, wasn't anybody been paying attention?? image >>

would or should????

it's still on the product page as $149.95
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pass. Learned the hard way (spotting) not to collect ASEs and price plus grading doesn't offer much promise on flipping any. I believe the big boys will be flooding the market. >>

Agree with you image

I sold my sealed 1912 San Francisco 2-coin set for a loss. I am out of ASE coins now and forever even though they are pretty.

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This set is likely to have a mintage below 250,000, very likely less then last years SF set.

The bullion value of the set will not have a ton of effect on this long time in my mind. >>

The difference between this years & last years set is the unc. coin. It's unique to this set and not available in a single or any other set. >>

Unless they offer another set with the "enhanced" eagle like last year.

Joe
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pass. Learned the hard way (spotting) not to collect ASEs and price plus grading doesn't offer much promise on flipping any. I believe the big boys will be flooding the market. >>

Agree with you image

I sold my sealed 1912 San Francisco 2-coin set for a loss. I am out of ASE coins now and forever even though they are pretty. >>

Sealed sets are selling for more now than the issue price (despite silver spot being down) - it's all about timing.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[Sealed sets are selling for more now than the issue price (despite silver spot being down) - it's all about timing.

- Ian >>

But is it really worth the bother in this new age of mint to order and the dreaded milkspot disease?
  • Options
    I've got all the rev. proofs that the mint ever issued..gold, plat & silver, and I've bee very fortunate, that none have ever milk spotted.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got all the rev. proofs that the mint ever issued..gold, plat & silver, and I've bee very fortunate, that none have ever milk spotted. >>

Are they graded or raw?

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

I'll pass for your same reasons. I gave up on ASE.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will add that this is a must have set for the serious collector.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i> It's unique to this set and not available in a single or any other set. >>

I was looking for where this was actually printed by the US Mint. Can anyone point out where?

The reason I question - is because there will be a 2013-W Unc ASE - and I believe the USM was not releasing a burnished coin this year - so will the single format 2013-W ASE be an enhanced version or not?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The difference between this years & last years set is the unc. coin. It's unique to this set and not available in a single or any other set. >>

Last year's set also had a unique coin, the reverse proof. The Mint may be starting a tradition with these sets by having one unique coin and one coin available individually or in other sets.

It appears that the 2013-W regular proof will also be available both individually and in one other possible set, the 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set, consisting of the 2013-W Silver Eagle, 2013-S silver proof dime and half, and one each of this year's 5 ATB quarter designs as silver proofs. This set may turn out to be a better value than the 2013-W two-coin set. Last year's Limited Edition set had a very low number of Silver Eagles submitted for First Strike - so far only 5 from this set exist in PR70 First Strike, compared to 4,258 for the regular proof and 4,226 for the reverse proof from the 2012 two-coin San Francisco set.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've got all the rev. proofs that the mint ever issued..gold, plat & silver, and I've bee very fortunate, that none have ever milk spotted. >>

Are they graded or raw? >>

All are in PCGS FS 70 holders
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are they graded or raw? >>

All are in PCGS FS 70 holders >>

Cool!!! Good to know, thanksimage

• Options

<< <i>

The difference between this years & last years set is the unc. coin. It's unique to this set and not available in a single or any other set. >>

This makes my point even more.....

I like this set's potential.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the mintage will be closer to 300k because of the 2 unique coins....

...and the new price drop to $139.95
  • Options
    300k would be surprising I would say.

I do like the price drop.....

• Options
    This may be this years "hot item" from the Mint. Shades of 2011 trying to place an order may be unavoidable.
  • Options
    In 2011 you had less than a day to get your order in....this time you WILL have a month....
  • Options

<< <i>In 2011 you had less than a day to get your order in....this time you WILL have a month.... >>

True, but human nature will dictate to be "first in line"image
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the mintage will be closer to 300k because of the 2 unique coins.... >>

I still havent read anywhere where the enhanced unc will be unique to the set.

The USM has mentioned the discontinuance of the ASE "W" burnished version - I would think that the enhanced unc takes its place. That means that later in May - when the 2013-W ASE "W" unc is released it could be the very same enhanced unc as in the set.....

Still need more of a concrete answer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the mintage will be closer to 300k because of the 2 unique coins.... >>

I still havent read anywhere where the enhanced unc will be unique to the set.

The USM has mentioned the discontinuance of the ASE "W" burnished version - I would think that the enhanced unc takes its place. That means that later in May - when the 2013-W ASE "W" unc is released it could be the very same enhanced unc as in the set.....

Still need more of a concrete answer. >>

FYI.....2013 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin: On sale May 28, 2013.

"These coins feature a finish similar to its bullion coin counterpart, and they are struck on specially burnished blanks at the United States Mint, West Point, N.Y."

Mint's description no different then in previous years & not the enhanced description
  • Options
    Nice Set.A Must Have.
  • Options
    never mind....I can't read
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for a couple...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in for a couple... >>

+1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for the wait and see.....

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    A must have for a collection, but wouldn't back even a small convertible dolly.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

If they reprice lower, mintage will likely go higher.

Resale value goes lower.

imageimageimage

PASS !

• Options

<< <i>A must have for a collection, but wouldn't back even a small convertible dolly.

>>

Maybe an F150 image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I will buy a few. But kept raw and sealed to see what happens. No more grading for me on the ASEs. Dumping all my graded ASEs. I graded a sealed 2012 ASE 75th Anniversary Set last month and it came back 69, 68.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny to see the difference of options for the flippers vs. collectors. As a collector I think it looks good and will get a couple to open and stay in their OGP. If my kids want to flip them 50 years from now I hope it works out for them.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Price is now $139!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options

<< <i>Funny to see the difference of options for the flippers vs. collectors. As a collector I think it looks good and will get a couple to open and stay in their OGP. If my kids want to flip them 50 years from now I hope it works out for them. >>

I didn't see any "flippers" post in this thread. I guess they got burned by the 2012 2 coin set.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for 2oz. of bullion IMHO
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Getting it because I am. image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Funny to see the difference of options for the flippers vs. collectors. As a collector I think it looks good and will get a couple to open and stay in their OGP. If my kids want to flip them 50 years from now I hope it works out for them. >>

I didn't see any "flippers" post in this thread. I guess they got burned by the 2012 2 coin set. >>

Oh they are looking to see what every one is going to say first.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Every one of these "special sets" has flipper potential.
    However that potential has been greatly reduced as of late with the USM
    sales strategy of no limits etc.

For me it just changes from "buy the limit-activate friends network" to "buy one or two for me long term".

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>Every one of these "special sets" has flipper potential.
    However that potential has been greatly reduced as of late with the USM
    sales strategy of no limits etc.

For me it just changes from "buy the limit-activate friends network" to "buy one or two for me long term". >>

Need to buy at least 3 sets to qualify for the Mints "expedited" mailing service image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file