Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll get a few for customers and perhaps I'll keep one set for my ongoing ASE collection... but I'm in the "don't back up the truck" crowd. There is some growing resentment out there; the original allure of the reverse proofs was that they were legit scarce...now it appears they're going to find a reason do do one every year. Familiarity breeds contempt. To say nothing of the whole potential milkspotting controversy...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one set for me for my collection.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm going long on these: Rings similar bells as the 20th 3pc set. First of it's kind, over priced, long production time, weak public support, and it's timed for Xwas with an economy that seemly not get worse. The worse cast I loose 10-15%,the best case I do a 3 banger or better.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I think these sets are very attractive for a collector, and plan to buy a set each for my kids. It would be nice if the price reflected silver bullion value better, but with all the fancy packaging...
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Just one set to keep the collection current.
    If I forget to add a coin, that's the one that
    skyrockets in value.

I'm still kicking myself for not ordering the 10th
    Anniversary Set of 1995... Did not want the gold
    coins... Duh !!!image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think these sets are very attractive for a collector, and plan to buy a set each for my kids. It would be nice if the price reflected silver bullion value better, but with all the fancy packaging... >>

Agreed on all points and the packaging is always pretty nice, one for me and one for my kid.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just one set to keep the collection current.
    If I forget to add a coin, that's the one that
    skyrockets in value.

I'm still kicking myself for not ordering the 10th
    Anniversary Set of 1995... Did not want the gold
    coins... Duh !!!image >>

I did order one of those set, but sold it years ago for about 2 x issue price. Should have waited.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just one set for me for my collection. >>

+1

image... Maybe I should have read the entire thread before responding (again ! )
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of the spotting issue, I will still get a perfect 70 set. I think though immediately I will ask PCGS to "clean" the coin to it's original state via acetone dip or whatever they do to preserve it's grade. =)

For reselling, I wouldn't even bother. I feel like this is more of a cool thing to add to a collection than for resell. Now the 100th anniversary buffalo reverse proof (first time in history) and the normal dual set, now that's an investment I'm looking forward to. =D
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the acting mint director these sets will be offered for sale by the mint at the New Orleans Money Show on May 9, same day they are first offered on the mint website. Wonder if there will be any on-site grading taking place at the Money Show? I see PCGS will be there. Just so happens I'll be visiting New Orleans at that time.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Wow, presales are strong with sellers really taking advantage and after fees/shipping, etc. making an astounding

$5 dollars pre-tax profit per setimage
  • Options
    Just curious if anyone knows the last time the U.S Mint advertised a one-month selling window for a product? Don't recall seeing that recently.Maybe missing something.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious if anyone knows the last time the U.S Mint advertised a one-month selling window for a product? Don't recall seeing that recently.Maybe missing something. >>

The 2012-S San Fran ASE Set.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just curious if anyone knows the last time the U.S Mint advertised a one-month selling window for a product? Don't recall seeing that recently.Maybe missing something. >>

The 2012-S San Fran ASE Set. >>

Yes, but for the 2012, they took all the orders and then started shipping them after they went off sale.

It appears these will be shipping while still on sale. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there are any guarantees when these will ship....
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think there are any guarantees when these will ship.... >>

I just read a CW story saying they will begin to ship mid-to late June and will be struck to order with the Mint posting cumulative sales via a sales counter Monday-Friday from May 10-Jun 6th. It will be interesting to see what the demand for these will be.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think there are any guarantees when these will ship.... >>

I just read a CW story saying they will begin to ship mid-to late June and will be struck to order with the Mint posting cumulative sales via a sales counter Monday-Friday from May 10-Jun 6th. It will be interesting to see what the demand for these will be.[/

Yup ... they did that with last years 2 coin set also....same shipping MO.. If the Mint does hand them out in N.O., it will be a surprise, but I suspect they will only take orders there.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone seen any preorder sales on graded sets ?
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Figure what mintage would equal the issue price then tack on an additional 10% or so and you will get the approximate mintage for these.

I learned the hard way with the last set out of San Francisco. Might get a set or 2 of these but no more.

image The Coin habit just won't allow me to totally ignore these.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone seen any preorder sales on graded sets ? >>

none yet

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone seen any preorder sales on graded sets ? >>

none yet >>

Sellers that do, are taking a big risk...(item must be received within 30 days)....According to the Mint's write-up, they do not plan in shipping the sets out until the middle of June.
  • Options
    Mint will be selling the sets on site at New Orleans money show May 9. Be a good time to get them ahead of the crowd.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never know maybe they'll screw up, a reverse proof that's half enhanced, or visa versa.
    I'm in for a couple, first attempt at enhancing an ASE, could be a hot item.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint will be selling the sets on site at New Orleans money show May 9. Be a good time to get them ahead of the crowd. >>

Pick me up a few and send them overimage

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    Price cut to $139.95 for set.

$90 premium over spot.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Minted to demand, and $90 over spot??!
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got of the phone with PCGS and they will be offering First Strike designation.

NGC will be offering Early Releases or First Releases, your choice.

They do NOT want the Mint packaging, just the coins in the capsules.

Coin sets on sale tomorrow Thursday May 9.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it worth sending coins for any grade less than 70, or better to keep set and OGP intact?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be in for one set, but I'm not happy about the price. I think $100 would be a fair price, all things considered.
    After all, it's only two ounces of silver.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS said no mint pakaging?
    Or both said that?

Did either mention cut of dates?

Thx for the info >>

Stef, these sets will not ship till Mid July, so cut off dates are a ways off.
    I'm sure PCGS will not want Mint packaging, as both coins are unique to these sets only.

NGC Submission Instructions

Edited to add: Changed June to July
  • Options
    Anyone attending the New Orleans show on Thursday please let us know if the Mint was selling and delivering the sets on site or just taking orders.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>You never know maybe they'll screw up, a reverse proof that's half enhanced, or visa versa.
    I'm in for a couple, first attempt at enhancing an ASE, could be a hot item. >>

One ounce gold planchet would be kinda nice.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    <<One ounce gold planchet would be kinda nice.>>

That would be a "name your price error".

Any chance either of these will be offered as singles?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any chance either of these will be offered as singles? >>

In 2012, no one was expecting that the 2012-S regular proof would also be available in the Coin and Currency Set.

Unless the Mint states that both of these coins will be unique to this set, anything is possible between now and the end of the year.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    per mintnewsblog:

The US Mint has explicitly stated that both of these coins will only be available in the special set. Last year many collectors were unpleasantly surprised when one of the coins included in the San Francisco Silver Eagle Set was later offered in the Making American History Coin and Currency Set.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i><<One ounce gold planchet would be kinda nice.>>

That would be a "name your price error".

Any chance either of these will be offered as singles? >>

yep, on ebay

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS said no mint pakaging?
    Or both said that?

Did either mention cut of dates?

Thx for the info >>

Stef, these sets will not ship till Mid June, so cut off dates are a ways off.
    I'm sure PCGS will not want Mint packaging, as both coins are unique to these sets only.

NGC Submission Instructions >>

Thanksimage

• Options
    AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    Wait...so do you mean these aren't eligible for first strike since they are being shipped 30 days later?
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    The 30 day window is from the date that the first ones are shipped.... if anyone expects to qualify for first strike after that date,
    then they better keep them sealed and they will have to be shipped in OGP..... my guess is that the best premium will be for First Strike labels

FIRST STRIKE

There are two ways PCGS can verify if a coin was shipped out from the mint within the first 30 days. The first is when a coin is shipped to PCGS from the customer with a postmarked date before the cutoff date for that particular coin. In this example, PCGS only needs the coin to be mailed in. No extra mint packaging is needed (i.e. boxes, certificates, etc.).

The second way PCGS can verify that a coin qualifies for First Strike designation is when a customer does not open the sealed package that came from the mint. In this instance, the package must remain completely sealed and unopened. The customer then can send that whole package in to PCGS and the receiving department will go by the postmarked date from the mint. As long as this date is prior to the cutoff date for that particular coin, it qualifies for first strike.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like the mints website is crushed right now.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    I've got the eternal "connecting" circle of pain
  • Options
    Continually dialing using auto redial, nothing yet.
  • Options
    I can't believe nobody got through after 15 min....must have crashed right at 12 noon...I have them in my cart but can't get the order completed
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    Thought the mint was to have the "upgrades" to the ordering system done by now
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got the eternal "connecting" circle of pain >>

Yep, me too. And the old trick of opening a new tab to get to my cart isn't working either. In the new tab it asks me to change my password.
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Finally got my order completed. Just received the email confirmation.

Order #: 4148XXXX - 1 Order date: 5/09/13

Sold To:

Ship To:

Order Process Date: 5/09/13

Merchandise : 279.90
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 284.85

1. 2013 AE WP 2-COIN SILVER PROOF SET (S40)
    Qty 2 @ $139.95 - Backordered 06/17/13.
  • Options
    I have 2 tabs opened in firefox "connecting" and tried Explorer and got "Unable to make a connection"

Site is toast....

BTW...I remember the Mint posponing the upgrades and decided to go with the 1 month thingy instead....
  • Options
    Dialing every 9 seconds since noon nothing but a busy signal.
    The web page doesn't even load image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint Strikes Again!image

This will be fun to watch, as usual. I'm guessing 415,000 by the cut-off date.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file