Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A fascinating exchange on the eBay message system

This relates to a 1909=S Lincoln in an NGC VF35 slab, that I currently have listed on eBay. In my text, I indicated that it has a shot at EF, which I do believe is the case. The exchange, through the eBay message system, follows, verbatim.

HE; Can you tell me how much the coin you have in the holder weighs? Also, why did you grade it VF-35 if you think it is EF? There is a monitary difference of about $75 in the two grades.

ME: Hi,and thanks for writing. There's no way I can weigh the coin without cracking it out of the holder, an irreversible move. If you're concerned about authenticity, NGC guarantees that. VF-35 was their grade, not mine. Take a look at the picture and see if you agree with me that it's very close to an EF. I think it's very close.

HE: No, there is no use to break out the coin. As a member of NGC, the person sending the coin to be encased grades the coin. NGC does not grade coins. Thanks any how.

ME: No idea where you got that information. NGC authenticates AND grades coins. Check their website.

HE Well, it is evident you have never sent a coin for grading. Here is the phone number of NGC located on University Parkway, Sarasota, Florida, been there many times. The number is 800-642-2646. When the menu answers, push the 0 on your phone, and when the lady answers, ask her who grades the coins. If you like, I will scan in one of my submission sheets, and you will readily see that the one submitting the coin does the grading. Only thing NGC does, they check the coin to make sure it is real, put your grade on it, then return it to you. They are not in the coin grading business, and you will be told that immediately. I already have about 10 of the Chinese ones in NGC and PCGS holders, I am very cautious now about buying. I have never found but one other person on ebay beside me, that sends the coins to NGC before selling them, in that manner there is no problem with authentisity of the coin. They will regrade the coin for about $20. All the pricing is on the submission data and forms. And I want you to please understand, I learn something new every day at almost 70 years old, if you check out what I just told you, which is the truth, or just continue in the path your going. I thought the same way you did, until I joined NGC. If you take the time to call and ask, and if your are told anything different than what I said above, please, please send me a return email and give me the name of the person that told you different. I apologise for this being such a long email, maybe it will benefit both of us. I really would love to have the coin, but would love to know if it is real or not. Thanks, (name withheld)

ME: No, they don't put your grade on the label. They have a panel of graders that determines authenticity and then, once this has been established, grades the coin. Maybe your confusion is concerining coins that are not authentic, they won't grade coins that are not authentic. Check the NGC website ngccoin dot com, and then pull down the tab that says "grading." This explains their process in great detail. Yes, I've been submitting coins to NGC and PCGS for over ten years now. Done it many times...

No response after that.

As is's often said, you can't make this stuff up.

...Tom

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file