Options
Pay a premium for a coin with pretty color?
Hello,
I collect Carson City silver coins, and found a very pretty 1877 CC dime. It has a very nice brown/blue tone to the obverse, it is much nicer than any other CC dime I have seen. The problem is the seller is asking around 30% over book for the grade due to the nice toning, and his price is firm. I would really love to own this piece, but hate to eat that much premium. I have to admit that the odds of finding another like this seems low. So, would you normally pay above book to get a coin that you really like? I checked ebay past auctions, and Heritage and similar coins (minus the toning) tend to run in the $205-230 range, the seller wants $295.
Jared
I collect Carson City silver coins, and found a very pretty 1877 CC dime. It has a very nice brown/blue tone to the obverse, it is much nicer than any other CC dime I have seen. The problem is the seller is asking around 30% over book for the grade due to the nice toning, and his price is firm. I would really love to own this piece, but hate to eat that much premium. I have to admit that the odds of finding another like this seems low. So, would you normally pay above book to get a coin that you really like? I checked ebay past auctions, and Heritage and similar coins (minus the toning) tend to run in the $205-230 range, the seller wants $295.
Jared
0
Comments
In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson
You love the coin and it is the best you have seen...
Buy before someone else does, right?
You wouldn't want to hear what I pay for toning premiums
.
CoinsAreFun Toned Silver Eagle Proof Album
.
Gallery Mint Museum, Ron Landis& Joe Rust, The beginnings of the Golden Dollar
.
More CoinsAreFun Pictorials NGC FOR SALE
In all seriousness if you like it buy it!
In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson
Is that really the best you have seen?
Best wishes,
Eric
"Is that really the best you have seen? "
I think so, most are a dark brown or gray color, which I don't find that attractive. I really like blue toning, so thought this would be a neat piece. I purchased a brown looking 1877 CC quarter that looked brown in the ebay images, but to my surprise when it arrived, it flashes a blue and copper color when moved around in sunlight.
Maybe as a newbie spend 1/3 the cost of the dime on some books such as the First Edition of the PCGS Grading Guide. There is a LOT of information presented in an easy format - covers a lot of the spectrum. The first edition has color plates too - and a section on toning with an image something like your dime as well as the other toning patterns people like and dislike.
DLRC has a decent 73-S in PCGS MS64 with green bean for $500/make an offer. Keep looking still.
Eric
Edit to add: That dime you just posted looks lackluster and is also a coin I would pass on - I do not like the surfaces. The first one, even if totally original encrusted tone - that print will kill it for many.
Here is my favorite brown to blue flasher. Was advertised with the left image (and priced around there as well)! The other image was already online in a Goldberg catalog. I was happy with my purchase.
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
1) Look at a lot of coins and decide what you want to collect and get an idea of what kind of money you would be comfortable spending. Don't even think about buying anything at this point.
2) Once you decide what you want to collect, you can ask people on this forum what book(s) should you have in your library. Buy and read these books. Don't even think about buying anything.
3) Now start looking at coins. See what you have learned from the books. Look at as many of the coins which interest you as possible. You will now start to put the knowledge of the books to use, re grading these coins, and deciding which coins are / are not nice for the grade, and why. If possible, try to attend a large show if one is near you. Try to make contacts - not people who want to sell you stuff, - people who want to make you a "smarter shopper."
4) Now, after seeing a fair number of coins and having a reasonable idea how to grade them (your contacts are valuable second set of eyes re a potential purchase), consider making a purchase or two.
5) By now, you have seen enough coins to get an idea of how a particular coin in a specific grade should look. You should also have an idea of what is considered attractive toning for what interests you.
I would not pay a toning premium unless said toning on the coin is universally accepted as being attractive. And I would never buy a coin with what I consider to be ugly toning. Many business strike type coins rarely have universally accepted attractive toning. Liberty Nickels, Barber Halves, and Liberty Standing Quarters come to mind.
And my most important rule of all - just because you have money to spend on coins does not mean you have to buy something, whether it be on the internet, a large show, etc.
"Seu cabra da peste,
"Sou Mangueira......."
<< <i>I have been collecting off and on since the 1960s.
1) Look at a lot of coins and decide what you want to collect and get an idea of what kind of money you would be comfortable spending. Don't even think about buying anything at this point.
2) Once you decide what you want to collect, you can ask people on this forum what book(s) should you have in your library. Buy and read these books. Don't even think about buying anything.
3) Now start looking at coins. See what you have learned from the books. Look at as many of the coins which interest you as possible. You will now start to put the knowledge of the books to use, re grading these coins, and deciding which coins are / are not nice for the grade, and why. If possible, try to attend a large show if one is near you. Try to make contacts - not people who want to sell you stuff, - people who want to make you a "smarter shopper."
4) Now, after seeing a fair number of coins and having a reasonable idea how to grade them (your contacts are valuable second set of eyes re a potential purchase), consider making a purchase or two.
5) By now, you have seen enough coins to get an idea of how a particular coin in a specific grade should look. You should also have an idea of what is considered attractive toning for what interests you.
I would not pay a toning premium unless said toning on the coin is universally accepted as being attractive. And I would never buy a coin with what I consider to be ugly toning. Many business strike type coins rarely have universally accepted attractive toning. Liberty Nickels, Barber Halves, and Liberty Standing Quarters come to mind.
And my most important rule of all - just because you have money to spend on coins does not mean you have to buy something, whether it be on the internet, a large show, etc. >>
This. Well, all of it. Sage advice. Take it I say
Eric
<< <i>Hopefully posting this doesn't break any rules. It is graded AU 58 by PCGS, I consider the toning to be very attractive, maybe others will not.
That's called ugly toning; you should be able to buy that one below bid.
"if" is the operative word. Love is the opposite of desire, in my book. One is free , the other enslaves. It's like ADDICTION compared to PASSION. I think too deep and that's why I normally edit my posts.
I don't know how people can speak two languages. I haven't mastered English, yet.
In other news, today I am 58. Post a premium quality coin ( toned coin ) and help me love again.
edited to add parenthesis, as opposed to antithesis.
Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.
Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
Jared
<< <i>Beautiful toning is worth a premium. The hard part is knowing what type of toning constitutes beautiful toning and what type of toning is worth a premium. >>
I agree with WTCG. I wouldn't pay a premium for the toning on the 1877-CC dime shown by the OP.
I would, and did, pay a premium for this coin. And the buyer of it paid a premium also. Edit to add: 1841-O half PCGS MS-63 ex Eliasberg.
An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.
Heritage 1877 CC dime
Jared
"Seu cabra da peste,
"Sou Mangueira......."
Usually, it's very easy to tell the difference but sometimes, there will be honest patina toning and prints. The oil will do nothing but make the coin get fuglier and fuglier as time goes on.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but it seems an awful lot of good advice is being given here.
Everyone says keep looking. Remember, in a few years when the "bloom is off the rose" you'll be
looking to sell it... Looks like no one is buying, either.
BTW: GRIP & RICHUHRICH - where you found those coins must have been a well hidden secret.
Nice toys, boys.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !
New Barber Purchases
<< <i>Great advice from all the above.I consider this toning to be desirable.
Very nice toning there Grip, and the proof-like fields don't harm it either.
- Jim