Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1912 - 1914 Canada $5 & $10 Hoard Being Sold!

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I think a red and white maple leaf flag as a background would have been nice instead of the union jack, imo. I have no idea what that heraldic(?) shield represents.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Canadian Coat of Arms

still sucks - a terrible label design
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How did they come up with that label? Did it originally have like 8 colors until someone up the food chain chirped , " It needs more cowbell!!!!".

Wow , that is busy

MJ >>

That is the Canadian flag in use at the time that the coins were struck, red with the Union Jack in the upper left corner and the coat of arms in the right field. Since the coat of arms also appears on the coins, it is an excellent choice for the label!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes - ill say it - the label sucks. >>

Seconded......my '13 $5 is going into a TPG slab, but I just can't wrap my mind around it being in this slab.....too busy, as MJ said......focal point is not the coin, IMO.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the total estimated cost on the $1000 $10 gold coins? >>

No tax on the order for USA buyers, no shipping for $1000 purchase, currency exchange and cc fee apply - but all in on the $1000 purchase?

$1,008.11 (as it briefly showed up as an authorization on an order placed day 1) >>

While most credit cards charge a 2-3% fee on a foreign currency transaction, some banks such as Capital One do not charge this fee.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I happen to think the label is very appropriate. It was designed by a Canadian and reflects the period during which the coins were struck. The shield is the same shield that is on the coin. The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins agrees wholeheartedly.

Of course if you don't like the label you can have it holdered with a standard blue label.

The first shipments will arrive at PCGS next week.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>How did they come up with that label? Did it originally have like 8 colors until someone up the food chain chirped , " It needs more cowbell!!!!".

Wow , that is busy

MJ >>

That is the Canadian flag in use at the time that the coins were struck, red with the Union Jack in the upper left corner and the coat of arms in the right field. Since the coat of arms also appears on the coins, it is an excellent choice for the label!

TD >>

I guess if you aren't Canadian then you just don't appreciate it..........but then it is a Canadian coin and they are celebrating their origins, right! >>

I was born in Detroit and recognized the old flag immediately. They were still using it across the river well into the 60's.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the label and look forward to seeing these in-hand.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>I happen to think the label is very appropriate >>

Well - Don - maybe you think so, but as a collector - there is absolutely no mention of the "hoard" on the label which IMO is the biggest drawback.

All other haords or "treasure ship" coins are so designated, this label makes no mention of the "Bank of Canada" hoard or any other.....

Even GSA coins are designated as such on PCGS labels

SWINGGGGG AND A MISS.............

Maybe next time poll the online forum for ideas......it may be a winner

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It says "Canadian Gold Reserve", which to me is mentioning the hoard.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the design of the label and think the gold coins will look great with it. It is very distinctive. I would probably prefer wording such as "Bank of Canada Hoard" as opposed to "Canadian Gold Reserve," but it works for me. I'll be using these labels.
  • Options

<< <i>It says "Canadian Gold Reserve", which to me is mentioning the hoard. >>

So, I guess the GSA Hoard should say "US Silver Stockpile" on the label as well?
  • Options
    JWMGT90JWMGT90 Posts: 303 ✭✭
    How do you submit these? I'm unclear on the instructions. Can you use a 4 coin voucher
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins... >>

This sounds all kinds of alarms for me...

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins... >>

This sounds all kinds of alarms for me... >>

Um, does this person get to decide who gets the nicest ones?
  • Options

<< <i><< The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins... >> >>

Hmmm. We as purchasers are not aware of this. Is there some information we do not have from the RCM?

You bet the phones will be ringing tomorow.

<< <i>The first shipments will arrive at PCGS next week. >>

Holders or coins? I hope holders - because we have not been told when shipments of coins would begin as of yet.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the total estimated cost on the $1000 $10 gold coins? >>

No tax on the order for USA buyers, no shipping for $1000 purchase, currency exchange and cc fee apply - but all in on the $1000 purchase?

$1,008.11 (as it briefly showed up as an authorization on an order placed day 1) >>

While most credit cards charge a 2-3% fee on a foreign currency transaction, some banks such as Capital One do not charge this fee. >>

Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    << The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins... >>

From the ATB distribution handbook.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins... >>

From the ATB distribution handbook. >>

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I happen to think the label is very appropriate >>

Well - Don - maybe you think so, but as a collector - there is absolutely no mention of the "hoard" on the label which IMO is the biggest drawback.

All other haords or "treasure ship" coins are so designated, this label makes no mention of the "Bank of Canada" hoard or any other.....

Even GSA coins are designated as such on PCGS labels

SWINGGGGG AND A MISS.............

Maybe next time poll the online forum for ideas......it may be a winner >>

Frankly, as a collector, the term "hoard" sounds less attractive to me than "Gold Reserve", but that is splitting hairs. Everyone will know what it is, where it was from, and what it means. If you have a criticism or suggestion, rather than calling out Don on the forum, why not consider a respectful Private Message? I have found him to be very receptive in the past.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wow , that is busy

MJ >>

TD >>

I guess if you aren't Canadian then you just don't appreciate it..........but then it is a Canadian coin and they are celebrating their origins, right! >>

I was born in Detroit and recognized the old flag immediately. They were still using it across the river well into the 60's. >>

I was also born in Detroit and lived downtown across the river from Canada. From age 7 to age 18 I literally spent six months of the year traveling throughout Canada. I love Canada. I still do some banking in Canada. I understand each bit of significance on the label. However, aesthetically I find it busy and distracting. They literally threw the Canadian kitchen sink on it. Just because the label designed by a Canadian doesn't make it good or give it more street cred.

Anyways, as Don said one can opt out of that label which is a good thing.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>If you have a criticism or suggestion, rather than calling out Don on the forum, why not consider a respectful Private Message? I have found him to be very receptive in the past >>

I didnt call out anyone - why would you make such an inference RYK?

I merely stated my opinion on a label, and on the notation.

A hoard is a hoard. Collectors have been calling these large groups of coins hoards for years.

Redfield Hoard. GSA Hoard. Bank of Canada Hoard.

Not Redfield Reserve. Not US Silver Stockpile or GSA Reserve. Not Candian Gold Reserve.

You are thinking much too hard. No need to split hairs. Just call it what it is.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you have a criticism or suggestion, rather than calling out Don on the forum, why not consider a respectful Private Message? I have found him to be very receptive in the past >>

I didnt call out anyone - why would you make such an inference RYK? >>

"Well - Don - maybe you think so, but as a collector - there is absolutely no mention of the "hoard" on the label which IMO is the biggest drawback."
  • Options
    He posted his comment, I responded with my opinion.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He posted his comment, I responded with my opinion. >>

What you wrote was fine and I am sure Don can speak for himself, he doesn't need RYK doing it for him.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Agreed.

It would be good if PCGS would have some forum discussion or selection process on the forum for ideas for these "special" labels. After all, what a group of collectors thinks is nice and worthy of purchasing can be entirely different in the eyes of a dealer/seller of services.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins...

Hey Canadian Mint - you just lost any future business from me. Thanks alot. I thought I was ordering from the Canadian Mint. My bad.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins...

Hey Canadian Mint - you just lost any future business from me. Thanks alot. I thought I was ordering from the Canadian Mint. My bad. >>

I thought I was the only one wondering/thinking this!! Looks like a bunch of culls or MS60-MS62 coins are heading to America. Guess we have sucker written all over our foreheads!
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be good if PCGS would have some forum discussion or selection process on the forum for ideas for these "special" labels. After all, what a group of collectors thinks is nice and worthy of purchasing can be entirely different in the eyes of a dealer/seller of services. >>

While I enjoy this forum a lot, this place can be a zoo. I'd rather have Don and team making business decisions than asking the forum and getting 50 different answers to one question.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< The Canadian dealer who is handling the distribution for all the coins...

Hey Canadian Mint - you just lost any future business from me. Thanks alot. I thought I was ordering from the Canadian Mint. My bad. >>

Guess we have hosers written all over our foreheads! >>

Here, fixed it for you. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Nothing beats having hundreds of examples of the same coin and "handpicking" some for yourself.

We all could be graders in that situation. Show me an unc Saint and I couldn't say MS62 or MS63, but show me
    3 and I can probably pick the best one. Now, let me cherry pick from 100.

...one for me, three for my friends x, y, and z...ok, send that one to the States. Oops, I dropped one...
  • Options

<< <i>

I thought I was the only one wondering/thinking this!! Looks like a bunch of culls or MS60-MS62 coins are heading to America. Guess we have sucker written all over our foreheads! >>

Any guesses as to who the Canadian dealer might be?

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a grace period where we can return these if not happy?
    Shipping costs for return, yeah, but being able to return them is somewhat comforting.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't there a grace period where we can return these if not happy?
    Shipping costs for return, yeah, but being able to return them is somewhat comforting. >>

I dont think so... could be wrong though

Also I love fine print.

Hand-selected by Mint staff for a high quality appearance, with minimal evidence of wear caused by handling, storage, or environmental conditions, these Hand-Selected coins are wonderful examples of Canadian numismatic history. They offer the best combination of quality and affordability which gives a wide range of customers the chance to buy a special coin not seen on the market for nearly 100 years.

*Disclaimer
    As the Royal Canadian Mint does not grade any of its products, the use of the expression "Hand-Selected" and/or "Premium Hand-Selected" as used herein does not imply any form of coin grade, or suggestion thereof, derived from current numismatic grading standards, or other form of grading systems.

I didnt take that as they would send to a dealer lol
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Has anybody received one yet?

If so, what was the return address?

• Options

<< <i>Coinweek article on new PCGS inserts >>

Odd, the story says 300,000 pieces. The RCM's press release said approx. 245,000 coins. Shall we assume that the RCM is correct?
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    "All sales are final for this product. We will not allow any returns or exchanges."
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    No returns, but you can cancel the order before you receive them ...

What does it mean that a dealer is handling the distribution? Is that better or worse than the mint?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>No returns, but you can cancel the order before you receive them ...

What does it mean that a dealer is handling the distribution? Is that better or worse than the mint? >>

Who knows? If it is true that a dealer is handling the distribution, and that may or may not be the case, does that dealer have an opportunity to examine the coins and hypothetically divert superior specimens to himself or his friends, or is he just putting mailing labels on sealed boxes previously sorted by the RCM? I don't know.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No returns, but you can cancel the order before you receive them ...

What does it mean that a dealer is handling the distribution? Is that better or worse than the mint? >>

Not sure how it could be better.....I, too, worry it could be like the 5oz ATB debacle.
    Any, and all, government agencies should do things in a way so as to avoid any such appearance of favoritism and/or conflict of interest.
    By letting a dealer control it all, unless that same dealer is bound by certain rules and actions, and those are public information, there is an automatic appearance of conflict of interest, imho.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    The $10 gold coins for $1000 are worth a shot, in the same vein as the 1/2 ounce President's wives coins for
    about the same price. Strong bullion safety net.

The $12,000 for 2.2 ounces of gold is risky. No safety net. You could buy
    some interesting gold coins for that, like two XF45 type 1 plus three AU55 type 2 Double Eagles.

You would have 5 interesting coins and $8000 worth of gold.
  • Options
    Strict limit of one per household! (premium $12m set per the PCGS article)

Ranks right up there with "as seen on TV" and ..."but wait, there's more."
  • Options
    Anybody receive one yet?
  • Options
    Still pending. I think they changed their minds. They are waiting for everyone to cancel so they can keep them.
  • Options
    RCM is up to something. My order that has been in process since 12/03 still says in process on the main tracking page but when I open up my order the order is listed twice (although the total is for one coin) and says New order. I don't have a clue what that means except there is activity.
  • Options
    Have your credit cards been charged?
  • Options
    I hope when you guys finally receive these you use Le Service Rapide grading option as the suspense is killing us. Also, if PCGC offers it get the Celine Dion autograph added on. It's the only thing Canadian missing on that label.................MJ

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file