Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1912 - 1914 Canada $5 & $10 Hoard Being Sold!

Comments

• Options
    I cancelled my $10. Got to keep the $5 no matter how long it takes or how low gold goes.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the pictures of the coins you guys receive. Will all of these look approximately alike (MS62-ish), or will some be gems?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The Canadian mint website is listing the $12,000 CAD 6 coin Premium hand select set as available, some must have canceled orders.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    $12000 (plus sales tax) for $3600 worth of gold. Think of it as paying $2650 for $10 gold eagles and $1325 for half eagles.

For that money you can get some nice coins with reliable resale value.

Wouldn't you rather have 6 PCGS/NGC MS62/63 Saints?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    I read this post on the first day it was posted and I could not pull the trigger.

1. I have no real interest in Canadian coins.
    2. I don't trust the price of gold to stay above 1200 over the next few years. Don't shoot me ;-)
    3. The design did not inspire me but I will admit it is better then a lot of other coins.
    4. Market being flooded with these coins for years and years to come.
    5. Who knows what kind of condition you will get. MS61 or MS65?

I am happy for everyone else though. Good luck to those planning to grade and flip.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My rationale for ordering these was that the premium to melt was low, the story was interesting, the coins were attractive, and the supplies were limited.

Since I placed my order for 6 $10's one month or so ago, the premium to melt has risen, the story has gotten old, the coin design is less novel now that I have looked around, and the supplies are not limited enough. I have reduced my order to 2 $10's.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    i am still on the fence on the 6 coin premium set.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    What a joke, you guys are canceling orders?!

I think you'll be sorry... They are going to be NICE
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My rationale for ordering these was that the premium to melt was low, the story was interesting, the coins were attractive, and the supplies were limited.

Since I placed my order for 6 $10's one month or so ago, the premium to melt has risen, the story has gotten old, the coin design is less novel now that I have looked around, and the supplies are not limited enough. I have reduced my order to 2 $10's. >>

Ayup! I was at 4 and, a couple of weeks ago, reduced to 1.
    I wouldn't mind a few of the $5s, but they were already sold out when I saw it.

I am just looking at it from "original, unmolested" piece of numismatic history. If, and when, I do sell, I do hope to make a profit. That said, we shall see.....I am not a canookian koin kollector.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I couldn't disagree more, I will not be surprised if RYK ends up with zero. His buyers remorse if telling >>

Obtaining these rare hoard coins in what I believe will be beautiful uncirculated condition is a once in a lifetime experience.

I compare the cancellations of some to cancelling orders for $20 UHR coins of 2009 because many thought they would just end up at "spot". Well, time has proved them wrong. wrong. wrong.

And I think those that have cancelled will be sorry when they see the potential to get some real nice coins for next to nothing over spot price. Let's face it guys, you would pay as much for the $5's in this hoard as a crappy modern $5 commem with a 7k mintage that will sit at issue price (or below) for the next how many years???

But I understand the actions of some, they are in it for the quick flip, have no interest in the history or coin they are holding and just like the recent commercial on TV of the fellow at the art auction - who just bought the piece of art and stops the auctioneer to ask "can I sell it now"???.

I'd rather those "faint of heart" stay away - they just "whipsaw" prices when they dump everything they hold anyway.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there been any word on how the grading/sorting of the hoard compared to, say, the ANA grading standards (so as not to slight either of the major TPG services)?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many 20 franc Swiss and French gold coins survive in MS64?

Now those are nice coins with "history", aesthetically pleasing designs, and not much over melt!

And when you buy one, you know what you got!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    But I understand the actions of some, they are in it for the quick flip, have no interest in the history or coin they are holding and just like the recent commercial on TV of the fellow at the art auction - who just bought the piece of art and stops the auctioneer to ask "can I sell it now"???.

I would disagree with that, at least for my circumstances. All I need is one pair of $10's to have representative specimens for my collection. RO, I will not be reducing to zero. In fact, I asked the represntative to get on a waiting list for the $5's in the event that any of these became available.

When gold was higher, I thought these were a better buy than I believe them to be now. Additionally, I have other numismatic needs for the money which are more pressing to me. I have never regretted not buying into one of these promotions, even when they were big money makers down the road.
  • Options
    The Canadian mint needs to lift the ordering limits on these or they will be selling $10's for a long, long, long long time.
  • Options

<< <i>The Canadian mint needs to lift the ordering limits on these or they will be selling $10's for a long, long, long long time. >>

I seem to recall our neighbors to the north dont let things hang around on their site for long.

My guess is if all are not sold, lift limits, then melt. But I dont think it will be long.
  • Options

<< <i>7K is a large existing population to deal with imho. You can't compare it to the low mintage of an 1867 10c ms dime >>

The vital component is demand.

Not much demand for that 1867 ms dime. There are very rare coins with very little demand. Another example are proof seated quarters. Rare - yes, demand - non existant.

A 100,000 mintage 2009 UHR sells briskly at $800 over melt for "anything" and multiples of melt for MS70's. It is hardly "rare".

I believe these coins in this hoard will be very nice. I would bet that some grades attained at TPG's will be higher than expected - and will be very profitable for the owner.

There are not many opportunities out there like this hoard.
  • Options

I believe these coins in this hoard will be very nice. I would bet that some grades attained at TPG's will be higher than expected - and will be very profitable for the owner.

I am having difficulty reconciling both of these statements. On one hand, you are touting the history and criticizing folks for wanting to make money on these coins, and on the other hand, you are extolling the financial benefit for buying them.

Agreed, and it looks like the demand is currently on the decline, which is not good for those buying the coins who want to sell them forward. A year from now, 5 years from now, ten years from now...your guess is as good as mine. As someone who has little interest in Canadian history, I have similarly little interest in tying up $6000 or more in these over time. If this were a hoard of 1905-s and 1906-S Liberty $5's and $10's with a similar story (maybe a post 1906 earthquake bank hoard discovered), I would buy as many as I could because I am an American, am interested in American history, and am interested in US gold coins. For Canadian gold coins, I have a lukewarm interest which could wax and wane.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still like the fact that these Canadian coins have a built-in price floor. I like the design and I also like the history, but I cancelled half of my order because of the Canadian Mint's foot-dragging and like RYK, other options for spending money on coins have materialized in the interim period.

I don't have a feel for the demand side of Canadian Gold, but I have a hunch that demand will grow over time, especially when the offer is done.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>7K is a large existing population to deal with imho. You can't compare it to the low mintage of an 1867 10c ms dime >>

Not much demand for that 1867 ms dime. There are very rare coins with very little demand. Another example are proof seated quarters. Rare - yes, demand - non existant.

A 100,000 mintage 2009 UHR sells briskly at $800 over melt for "anything" and multiples of melt for MS70's. It is hardly "rare".

There are not many opportunities out there like this hoard. >>

I completely disagree, all MS63-ms67 1867 10c's are in demand.
    I won't comment on moderns since it is apples and oranges and we are not discussing bullion/melt values pricing.
    Just because the word hoard is used to drum up the probable numismatic visions of the past with these since they are foreign with imho a boring design and being dispursed at one time and in pretty hefty quantities relative to the typical tiny hoardes that I dream about I just don't see a REAL demand materializing and staying.
    The opportunity to acquire these will continue ad nausium imo. >>

The 1913 and 1914 $10, are worth a shot at $1000. The Six coins, premium handpicked, for $12,000 is a loser, maybe a huge loser.
  • Options
    You think these are a boring design and I think seated dimes are boring. RCM souls have got these out the door much faster.
  • Options

<< <i>I won't comment on moderns since it is apples and oranges and we are not discussing bullion/melt values pricing. >>

Obviously, you are not understanding the point.

A 2009 UHR $20 at 100,000 mintage is not a rare coin. Then why does it carry such a high price tag? And my multiple of melt comment is only to drive the message home that it isnt about "melt" value"!!!!

One answer DEMAND.

The vital component NON EXISTANT for your example of 1867 ms dimes. We dont define demand as you and two other guys.

And as for the comparison to $5 libs of common dates - keep in mind guys that these Canadian $5's and $10's were LOW LOW mintage to begin with and sought after by many for type sets, gold collections, etc. Not just by Canadian collectors.

This is a situation where you have the opportunity to pick up a truly low mintage coin that is in unreleased pristine unc condition - where you might have the opportunity to score BIG at the TPG on the grade, and be protected on the downside by it's bullion value.

I think if the GSA found another few bags of CC Morgans and sold them at current market prices (of course with the opportunity of scoring big on grade) this forum would find fault with it.

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Protected by the bullion value on the $10 coins @$1000, but certainly not on the $12000 for less than
    2.2 oz. of gold.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "DEMAND.

The vital component NON EXISTANT for your example of 1867 ms dimes. We dont define demand as you and two other guys."

And why not? Demand can just as easily be created by a small group of people as a large group. In fact, it takes only two people to drive the price at any auction and we all know this.
    7over8, you seem to get very excited over the latest "trends." Remember the 2008-w plat uncs? Perhaps not all of us share the same passion for "the next big thing," especially coming from the Royal Canadian Mint. Perhaps, it's simply because this is the US Coin forum and most of us dont collect world coins even if they are our friendly neighbor of the north.
    Yes, these gold coins are beautiful, but why are you promoting them so strongly?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    JWMGT90JWMGT90 Posts: 303 ✭✭
    Would you guys recommend a 1913 & a 1914 to hold onto for a while. It would be $2000 for about an ounce, is it worth it to hang onto?
  • Options
    In 20 years they will look cheap IMO
  • Options

<< <i>Would you guys recommend a 1913 & a 1914 to hold onto for a while. It would be $2000 for about an ounce, is it worth it to hang onto? >>

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. But, unless you have unlimited funds, I would just stick with one coin.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    This is pure speculation on my part, but I strongly suspect that these won't hang around the RCM website for too long. They'll likely raise the ordering limit when they start shipping, and if they still have some left after a few months, they'll pull the rest of the $10s and send them to the melting pot with the others. Watch the price pop a little, then.
  • Options

<< <i>7over8, you seem to get very excited over the latest "trends." Remember the 2008-w plat uncs? >>

Yes I do remember the 2008-W unc plats. Very rare and very profitable. Still very rare and top the modern coin rarity lists in every guide.

Same with the fractional buffalo's. Same with Anniversary sets of all kinds. I've been in them all - have you?

• Options
    How many times can it be repeated. Time to do your homework.

The game here is going to be the grading game protected by the high metal content. That's it in a nutshell.

No interest - fine - move along nothing to see here.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Protected by the bullion value on the $10 coins @$1000, but certainly not on the $12000 for less than
    2.2 oz. of gold. >>

I wish we would have some more info on the quality of the coins in the $12,000 set. I am tempted to cancel my order now since they still have not shipped. Although, they told me that there still is over 100 people on the wait list for the 6-coin set. So , i guess i am not the only crazy to gamble on the qulaity of the coins, especially on the 1912 $10 Premium Hand-Selected which is not availabe otherwise.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    Until we see what the coins look like it is hard to say how we will do, the best chance is with the $5's, the $10's are a crap-shoot. If gold keeps rising it could be melt for the $10's except for the highest grades.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Pcgs Special label for these.

Link
  • Options
    Looks like NGC has graded 10 of the 1914 $10 at the MS-63 level.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=2033639-001

• Options
    That PCGS "special" label is FUGLY. Why is it "Canadian gold reserve" - that is like saying the GSA dollars were "USA silver reserve".....

See that? 10 hoard coins graded ATS at MS63. I rest my case.

I just wonder how someone got them so quick...
  • Options
    JWMGT90JWMGT90 Posts: 303 ✭✭
    I thought these haven't shipped yet? How is that possible?
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought these haven't shipped yet? How is that possible? >>

Would be easy with photoshop I would imagine?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

$5 coin in $10 holder?
  • Options
    What is the total estimated cost on the $1000 $10 gold coins? Including
    sales tax, shipping, canada currency exchange, and credit card 1-2% fee for foreign currency conversion?

$1100?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

$5 coin in $10 holder? >>

Ooooops! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

$5 coin in $10 holder? >>

Ooooops! image >>

Double Oops!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Anybody else received theirs?

How do they look?
  • Options

<< <i>What is the total estimated cost on the $1000 $10 gold coins? >>

No tax on the order for USA buyers, no shipping for $1000 purchase, currency exchange and cc fee apply - but all in on the $1000 purchase?

$1,008.11 (as it briefly showed up as an authorization on an order placed day 1)
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did they come up with that label? Did it originally have like 8 colors until someone up the food chain chirped , " It needs more cowbell!!!!".

Wow , that is busy

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Yes - ill say it - the label sucks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file