Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Re the Capital style holder of Charlotte gold I ask: What is/are the best coin(s) you've seen in a C

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
............... style holder?

I have seen and like:

1. Carson City Mint State Morgans in a Capital holder shaped like Nevada;

2. A Mint State set of Lincolns in a rectangular Capital style holder;

3. A Mint State set of Liberty Nickels in a rectangular Capital style holder;

4. A Mint State US Gold Type Set in a Capital holder;

5. US proof sets from 1936 forward in a very large Capital holder suitable for framing and hanging on a wall;

6. A 14 coin set of Cameo Proof Franklins in a black Capital holder; and

7. A set of Cameo 1965-1967 SMS coins in a red, white and blue Capital holder shaped like the shield on the back of a Kennedy half dollar.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    The shop I worked at a few years ago had an 1879 Proof Set walk in the door housed in a Capital holder.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once bought a set of Proof Washington quarters from 1950-76 in a white capital holder, the majority had some degree of cameo contrast with 53-64 pretty well all being solid CAM's. Several of those have been graded and are now in my registry set.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This holder was purchased in an Airplanenut charity auction, IIRC, and I filled it with coins mostly purchased from TomB.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 4:59AM
    BUT, have you ever seen the entire Lincoln set in Capital Holders???? (updated to include the 2019 cents)

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome Bob!! I bought these holders for Lincolns when I was on vacation this summer and thought I'd flip them... but I'm now leaning towards filling them up for myself image

At one of the ANA shows they had a few of the 1913 Liberty Nickels on display and at least one of them was in a Capital holder... that was cool!
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I recall a spectacular set of Liberty Seated half dimes, assembled by Liberty Seated Collectors Club member and good friend Mark Sheldon. Mark exhibited his beautiful collection, housed in a custom Capital Plastics holder, at a meeting of the LSCC a few years ago. Mark and I shared a hotel room at the ANA convention where he exhibited it, and I recall him sitting up all night, carefully placing each individual coin into its respective slot in the holder, with the care and attention of a devoted collector. It was truly something to behold.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Liberty Half Eagle Mintmark set in a capital plastic holder once. All raw. P, D, C, D, O and CC. Specially made for the set...

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    Eliasberg had his entire collection in custom made holders of this type.

One of the other 1913 nickels was/is in such a holder.
  • Options
    IIRC, the Nevada State Museum has its collection of CC coins (they have 109 of the 111) in just one or two large Capital Plastics panels.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I rember seeing some big dollar singles, but which ones escape me ...

I've also seen some pretty kewl sets over the eyars, but not as much over the last decade. I distinctally remember seeing a Buffalo Set, complete, in Choice to Gem, and a Standing Liberty Quarter Set, also complete in Very Choice to Superb. This would have been about the time my daughter was born ... about 1991/1992.

About that same time (maybe a year before) I saw a complete Proof Set (no Gold) from I think (?) 1879 (but it could have been almost any year in the Seated/Morgan time frame, it was stunning and I was awestruck)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eliasberg had his entire collection in custom made holders of this type.

One of the other 1913 nickels was/is in such a holder. >>

The Walton example still is, I saw it a few weeks ago at the ANA in Dallas.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I recall, three of the five 1804 dollars that I have held in my hands were in Capital Plastics or similar holders. The other two were raw.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA's 1913 Liberty nickel is currently in a Capital holder.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen some of the above mentioned ANA coin in the cap plastics holders but another cool holder was full of GSAguys toners.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    As far as best, we have bought in a complete set of BU SLQ, Lincolns and Classic Commems. We have also had a few 19th century proof sets come in as well. Probably the most valuable coin that has come in repeatedly in Capital Plastics holders is definately 1907 HR Saints.
  • Options

While looking through prior threads I have posted I found this one from almost 7 years ago and thought that it would be worthwhile sending it to the top again.

Has anyone else seen some memorable collections housed in Capital style holders? If so, please provide details.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 11:18PM

Bought this the other day, some nice stuff in there and a nice variety.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old Capital holders... I think I have one with war nickels somewhere.... I know I had it, have not seen it since I moved from the PNW....will look for it and post it if I can find it. Might be a couple days... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this from an old time dealer in Michigan over 20 years ago. The holder is mounted in a vinyl cover like a book (third photo - quarter shown as a size reference). I've never seen the cover before - usually the old burgundy felt sleeve.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this set for dirt cheap at the Mansfield, CT coin show. All MS and a few varieties and a lot of rainbow toning. One of my favorite coin show picks ever!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had a $20 Liberty Mintmark set in a Capital Holder with a 1907 High Relief in the center.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took the following pictures when I visited the New Oreans mint in May of 2018.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut Jeremy, who custom makes these? I wanna get something custom made myself!!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, who custom-makes these?

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options

Nice custom holder Airplanenut.

And a good story about the coins therein.

My father in law was born in 1919. When he was 6 years old in 1925 his aunt gave him a new 1925 Quarter Eagle. When he passed away in 2011 my wife inherited this Quarter Eagle. In 2004 I picked up a Capital Holder for this coin and placed it in same. There is something about having a coin like this remain in the same family for generations. 94 years now and going strong. I suspect that in the future my wife will pass this Quarter Eagle on to one of our sons.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 4:41PM

The coolest set of coins I know of in a custom Capital holder is pictured in this thread by GuitarWes:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/699445/visit-to-the-gold-museum-in-dahlonega/p1

A complete set of Dahlonega gold!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full Dahlonega gold set at the museum

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    @airplanenut Jeremy, who custom makes these? I wanna get something custom made myself!!

It was a forum member whose name unfortunately has slipped my mind (and I can't find a way to search my PM history to find it). That said, a number of years ago I inquired about having another holder made and found he was no longer making the holders. That said, Capital Plastics does do custom work as far as I recall, it just isn't cheap (to be fair, neither was this holder, but I have no qualms about that).

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file