Home Sports Talk
Options

49ers...Curtain Drops on this Season of Infamy...Exposed as Overrated Pretenders With No Defense

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wei, I thought a good night's rest would have had an affect on your mental outlook.

You must be one intense dude.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The defense needs to be overhauled. Ever since the New England game the defense has been weak, giving up one big play after another. Good defenses do not give up 3 TD's in one half like they have in every playoff game. Let's not kid ourselves, that defense is totally overrated.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Wei, I thought a good night's rest would have had an affect on your mental outlook.

You must be one intense dude. >>

I thought so as well but here we are.

I just hate how the local media keeps blowing smoke up peoples' backsides. Call it almost, blame the refs, whatever. The bottom line is they lost and instead of sugar coating it they should cut to the chase and address the facts.

Bay Area teams have an affinity for disappointment. I'm just fed up with it.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'll tell you one thing--this kid Kap can play. He has a bright future ahead of him..

Congrats to the Ravens...and the Niners deserve credit for not quitting and making
    a valiant effort. Would have liked to have seen Kap try to run it in down close instead
    of trying to pass each time for the TD. >>

It may have been better for the team to try rushing for a TD with those 4 downs. Harbaugh sends the plays or the Off coordinator. At that point in the game running seemed to have the best possibility of scoring.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'll tell you one thing--this kid Kap can play. He has a bright future ahead of him..

Congrats to the Ravens...and the Niners deserve credit for not quitting and making
    a valiant effort. Would have liked to have seen Kap try to run it in down close instead
    of trying to pass each time for the TD. >>

It may have been better for the team to try rushing for a TD with those 4 downs. Harbaugh sends the plays or the Off coordinator. At that point in the game running seemed to have the best possibility of scoring. >>

They did run it on 1st down. They were going to run on 2nd as well but the play clock was running out and they burned a timeout. So I'm guessing they switched to a pass because the Ravens saw the play they were going to run. When they saw the all-out blitz coming, I would have like to see Kaep roll out of the pocket right away on that play.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Bay Area teams have an affinity for disappointment. I'm just fed up with it. >>

These guys disagree.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>The defense needs to be overhauled. Ever since the New England game the defense has been weak, giving up one big play after another. Good defenses do not give up 3 TD's in one half like they have in every playoff game. Let's not kid ourselves, that defense is totally overrated. >>

Definitely agree with you here. I think the problem is they need another pass rusher. QBs have all day to throw against the 49ers, unless its a team with a terrible O-Line. Also there have been a couple of secondary issues. Not sure if its guys trying to guess what the WR is going to do or what. But they need to get rid of those big plays.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mind set of "If you are not first, you are last" on the part of a fan is one which will inflict misery the majority of the time.

Life is too short for constant misery stemming from your favorite team not winning the title each year.

Of course, "fan" is the root of "fanatic" and we all know what it is like to be a fanatic about something or someone at sometime in our lives.

Reason and intellect and logic have no place in areas where fanatics (or fans) dwell.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The defense needs to be overhauled. Ever since the New England game the defense has been weak, giving up one big play after another. Good defenses do not give up 3 TD's in one half like they have in every playoff game. Let's not kid ourselves, that defense is totally overrated. >>

Definitely agree with you here. I think the problem is they need another pass rusher. QBs have all day to throw against the 49ers, unless its a team with a terrible O-Line. Also there have been a couple of secondary issues. Not sure if its guys trying to guess what the WR is going to do or what. But they need to get rid of those big plays. >>

Let's start with Culliver. The biggest talker on the field was getting burned on one play after another especially in the first half. When Flacco throws it up you automatically knew someone was going to catch it. I like the Safetys but the secondary is a bit sketchy.

The more I think about it the more I believe this team is the West Coast version of the Texans. They look good when they play bad teams but when an elite team comes along they get shredded like parmesean cheese.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Love love love this 49ers team!!
    They will attract some free agents and a good draft with some defensive studs and not miss a beat.
    Everyone in the room was hyperventilating but I remained calm and knew they would come back. The roster is full of championship stock. Would be more deflated but my wife was in LA all of January with her ailing parents, and I just drove down to bring her back home in time for the SB. Everything else takes second place to having her back after 4 1/2 weeks. Yeah I'm upset the Niners lost, but I'm upbeat about the team.
    Sorry to be so positive. image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bay Area teams have an affinity for disappointment. I'm just fed up with it. >>

These guys disagree.

image >>

Okay, one winner. Good thing they pulled it off this season. I still think 2010 was largely a fluke but that's for another thread.

There's the difference between the Giants and Niners. The Giants are the champs while the Niners look like champs on paper only.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    The good news is that in the scheme of LIFE the fact that the 49ers lost a football game yesterday means absolutely NOTHING!

Work hard at work, get home hug your wife and kids, play catch in the back yard with your son, etc....

I started taking this approach after the 2002 NBA playoffs (when all of us here in Sac felt like the Kings got robbed) and I have felt much better ever since. It really doesn't matter. Fun to win? Sure but it doesn't really affect much in life. I think it "matters" when you are 10 or 15... and to a lesser degree college age... but after that!? I don't think so. Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that WTCG.....IS THE WORST FAN EVER!! I have never seen such whinning about a team that made it to the SB and lost by 3 points as time ran out. Man you are the worst.

I was for the Ravens (because I am a Cowboy fan), but will be the first to admit that the 49'ers are a VERY GOOD team. Come on man. Both teams have good defenses but also both have good offenses. So both teams gave up points in bunches. Kap is a very good QB and is only going to get better. Flaco(sp) is good, but not the god they are making him out to be. He is no Staubach, Aikman, Montana or Steve Young or Tom Brady, but he is very good.

Anyway, back on point....get over it man. If you are truly a 49er fan this should not make you rip them so.

I have been a Cowboy fan since 1960 and will always be. They are going through bad times now but will be back and I will always be a Cowboy fan. I will never bash them as you have bashed the Niner's. I would like to have a new Owner and coach and QB. But whoever the have or will ever have I will ALWAYS be a Cowboy fan!
  • Options
    Hey DIMEMAN...Tony Romo

That is all.
  • Options
    What about Romo?
  • Options

<< <i>What about Romo? >>

Remember this thread of yours? You kinda sound like me there.
  • Options
    Yes, I remember that thread. The difference is that Romo did if fack cost the Cowboys those games. If it is true it's not bashing.

If you go by the numbers for the season like they did on Sports Center......Romo was a top 5 QB this year. WRONG!! he couldn't even get the Cowboys in the playoffs. I know it's not always his fault, but those games mentioned in the thread were all his.

The Cowboys need new and better players in lots of places including Romo. I would trade Romo for Kap in a heartbeat!!! Just send him over!image

They think you are a whinner now. A year of Romo in SF would have all the 49'er fans jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge!

I will stick by my prediction that Dallas will never get to a SB with Romo as QB. He has had 7 years now and is just not a true winner.
  • Options
    You crazies got nuttin on us Buffalo Bills fans as far as dissappointment goes. But I will forever stick with 'em.

So cheer up and enjoy the sport. As long as a left nad wasn't bet on the game, no harm anywhere.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now it's official...19 failed seasons in a row and counting.

Again nobody cares nor remembers which team lost in the Super Bowl. People only remember the winners. >>

not necessarily true. Case in point - I will always remember that the Vikings and Bills are 0-4 in the SB. And being a Rams fan living in the middle of Niners country, now I will always remember the one that they lost! image
  • Options

<< <i>They think you are a whinner now. A year of Romo in SF would have all the 49'er fans jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge! >>

You think you've seen bad QB'ing? We had to stomach a half decade worth of Alex Smith. Before Harbaugh came along and turned Alex Smith into a half way palatable QB, he was the biggest pile of crap in the NFC. He lost his starting job multiple times to various backup journeymen and was shopped around to other teams without any takers. Romo with a broken shoulder would be an upgrade over the pre-2011 Alex Smith. Heck, the 2012 version of Mark Sanchez would've been an upgrade.

True he had to endure a carousel of offensive coordinators and head coaches who were clueless about offense, but his fundamentals were ungodly awful. If the team took Aaron Rodgers in that draft, Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be where he is today but he wouldn't have been as bad as Alex Smith was.

If he decides to leave the team he better end up in one with a good offensive minded head coach with a strong offensive system to coddle him. Anything less and the 2005-2010 era Alex Smith will make an encore appearance.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    WTCG, if you were a Cleveland sports fan you would have jumped off the cliff a long time ago... take a breath. lol
  • Options
    Take a deep breath, and look at these.

• Options
    Personally, I will NEVER forget the one Super Bowl the Rams won. I could care less if it was 13 years ago. Do I want them to win another? Absolutely. But that will never take away the great joy I experienced back in '99.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Knowing Justin Smith was crippled and a few others not 100% from a few weeks back which was kinda the steep downturn of their defense.

It seems like Harbaugh refused to change overall strategy from a defensive team who scores enough to win to a weak defensive team who needed to score early and often to win.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope WTCG is playing Chicken Little with tongue firmly planted in his cheek.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take a deep breath, and look at these.

image >>

That was last year already--WTCG lives in the HERE & NOW!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Happy victory parade day in Baltimore. Meanwhile in the Bay Area today it's...it's...Tuesday.

Kyle Williams earned his spot going down Broadway last year, this year we have one coordinator and at least one defensive player who deserved a spot in the Ravens parade.

Unbelievably there are people here who think this team is perfectly fine and that no changes are necessary. No trophy = your team is not fine. Dump the dead weight then bring in reinforcements to improve the team, make good draft picks and refine the offense. Fix the overrated defense, especially the horrible secondary.

Time to drop the curtain on this wrecked season. And yes, if I hear "there's next year" again I will hurt someone.
  • Options
    Just to rub it in apparently, the SF Giants beat the 49ers in a charity golf tournament today.

• Options

<< <i>Happy victory parade day in Baltimore. Meanwhile in the Bay Area today it's...it's...Tuesday. >>

HEY!! You guys got free Jell-O Pudding today, so quit your crying!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Happy victory parade day in Baltimore. Meanwhile in the Bay Area today it's...it's...Tuesday. >>

HEY!! You guys got free Jell-O Pudding today, so quit your crying!!

image >>

We'll pass. Don't need the diarrhea. Got plenty of that from the people who think this season was a success.
  • Options
    Hey you are 5 and 1 in SB's. Could be worse........you could be a Buffalo Bill's fan who lost not 1 not 2 not 3 BUT 4 IN A ROW!!!image

And to the NFC East....and were crushed in the last 2 by the Dallas Cowboys!!image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey you are 5 and 1 in SB's. Could be worse........you could be a Buffalo Bill's fan who lost not 1 not 2 not 3 BUT 4 IN A ROW!!!image

And to the NFC East....and were crushed in the last 2 by the Dallas Cowboys!!image >>

Cowboys and 49ers fans share the same problem...they both have a huge faction of fans who keep talking about those same 5 Super Bowl wins, all won when 1/3 of the country wasn't born yet. Would be nice to win one this century. All that past glory talk is sentimental and sweet but for both teams it's time to move on.

Only ones worse are Raiders fans who talk about their 3, all won before half the country was born.
  • Options
    Cleveland... so there.
  • Options
    Well if it is any consolation, there's always next year. You already have all the pieces in place to make another run.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best teams always take steps towards greatness before achieving it...SF got to the NFC title game last year, to within 5 yards of a Super Bowl
    win this year with a QB who had started a grand total of 10 games prior to that, so if you are a SF fan who knows how to sensibly gauge the talent
    of your team, you got to feel pretty good right now about your team taking the final step next season.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I admit I feel for this guy, it sucks getting to the Super Bowl and losing regardless of past glory.

The Niners didnt play at the level that they could have and should have, I think the first half was a complete waste of playcalling and bad football and they lost the game because of it.

I know I will get crap for saying this but w/e Im still pi$$ed off at my Patriots, I feel that they just layed down in their past 2 Super Bowl appearances and in this years Championship game. I FEEL everything WTCG is typing and thats as honest as I can be even though I dont type it.

So to WTCG rant all you want if it makes ya feel better, Believe me after awhile you will find other things to get annoyed at image
  • Options
    Cleveland...

CLEVELAND!!!

Nobody else can complain... not Buffalo... not Chicago... not Fargo... CLEVELAND sports fans have it worse than all y'all. Cleveland sports fans listening to 49ers and Patriots fans moan about their teams is like an Ethiopian having to listen to an American complain about having their steak overcooked. I mean really...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cleveland...

CLEVELAND!!!

Nobody else can complain... not Buffalo... not Chicago... not Fargo... CLEVELAND sports fans have it worse than all y'all. Cleveland sports fans listening to 49ers and Patriots fans moan about their teams is like an Ethiopian having to listen to an American complain about having their steak overcooked. I mean really... >>

I understand but in all honesty Cleveland fans should not expect a winner from the Brownies, they are pathetic. At least the Pats and Niners have chamionship calibre teams to have high expectations for, when they fall short its frustrating.
  • Options
    So right before the final kickoff, Flacco went up and down the Ravens sidelines telling the players that if the Ginn broke free, to just rush the field and tackle him.

That would have been weird....

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    The ref then is allowed to decide if the play should be considered a touchdown, if he hadnt it would have been 12 men on the field and a personal foul, both of which would have been enforced 20 yards from the spot and One second would be back on the clock.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i>The ref then is allowed to decide if the play should be considered a touchdown, if he hadnt it would have been 12 men on the field and a personal foul, both of which would have been enforced 20 yards from the spot and One second would be back on the clock. >>

Turns out something similar happened in a college game a long time ago. Refs awarded a TD.

Dickie Meagle tackle (with video)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cleveland...

CLEVELAND!!!

Nobody else can complain... not Buffalo... not Chicago... not Fargo... CLEVELAND sports fans have it worse than all y'all. Cleveland sports fans listening to 49ers and Patriots fans moan about their teams is like an Ethiopian having to listen to an American complain about having their steak overcooked. I mean really... >>

I understand but in all honesty Cleveland fans should not expect a winner from the Brownies, they are pathetic. At least the Pats and Niners have chamionship calibre teams to have high expectations for, when they fall short its frustrating. >>

Personally I feel it's a lot easier to be a fan of a team that his historically lousy. You go into a season with little to no expectations of success, nothing to lose and if your team goes better than 5-11 it could be considered a good season. Anything better than that would be icing on the cake on a really successful season. When you're a fan of a historically overachieving team like the 49ers in the 80's and 90's or the Patriots in the 2000's, expectations are set high and any season that does not end with a Lombardi trophy and parade is considered a failure. To a 49ers fan (and probably Patriots fans too), it doesn't count if the team makes it to the Super Bowl. It only counts if the team wins it.

I still remember in the 80's and 90's if the Niners won a game by a field goal or by less than a touchdown the sports talk shows would get lit up by frustrated fans disgusted because the win wasn't pretty enough. If they lost a game the newspapers featured columns on who should get traded or cut. I still recall in 1989 after the Niners lost to the Rams 13-12 early in the season there were writers calling for Joe Montana to be cut. After the 1990 NFC Championship game Roger Craig was let go probably mostly due to fan and media pressure. The crowd was that tough and personally I prefer it that way.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I feel it's a lot easier to be a fan of a team that his historically lousy. You go into a season with little to no expectations of success, nothing to lose and if your team goes better than 5-11 it could be considered a good season. Anything better than that would be icing on the cake on a really successful season. When you're a fan of a historically overachieving team like the 49ers in the 80's and 90's or the Patriots in the 2000's, expectations are set high and any season that does not end with a Lombardi trophy and parade is considered a failure. To a 49ers fan (and probably Patriots fans too), it doesn't count if the team makes it to the Super Bowl. It only counts if the team wins it.

I still remember in the 80's and 90's if the Niners won a game by a field goal or by less than a touchdown the sports talk shows would get lit up by frustrated fans disgusted because the win wasn't pretty enough. If they lost a game the newspapers featured columns on who should get traded or cut. I still recall in 1989 after the Niners lost to the Rams 13-12 early in the season there were writers calling for Joe Montana to be cut. After the 1990 NFC Championship game Roger Craig was let go probably mostly due to fan and media pressure. The crowd was that tough and personally I prefer it that way. >>

The 49ers are considered one of the best all-time teams, by some, BUT they were only really good for 15 years. It's thus been longer than that short period of time since they were relevant in the NFL. I would not put the 49ers in the same class as the Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots, Broncos, and Packers who had longer stretches of being good. The 49ers had an incredible 15 years, where they won a ton of super bowls, but that's it in their history. They have been pretty mediocre since '95, until last year, I believe... and also pre 1980 they were nothing. Beyond that Nor Cal has not had much sports success, besides the A's, until the Giant's winning 2 of the last 3 series. Basically a lot of mediocre sports in Nor Cal throughout history.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    That was a funny clip, but the author spelled the name wrong. It's Dick Moegle.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I still remember in the 80's and 90's if the Niners won a game by a field goal or by less than a touchdown the sports talk shows would get lit up by frustrated fans disgusted because the win wasn't pretty enough. If they lost a game the newspapers featured columns on who should get traded or cut. I still recall in 1989 after the Niners lost to the Rams 13-12 early in the season there were writers calling for Joe Montana to be cut. After the 1990 NFC Championship game Roger Craig was let go probably mostly due to fan and media pressure. The crowd was that tough and personally I prefer it that way. >>

Anyone who thinks that any team/GM/owner lets fan sentiment get in the way of a player getting released is either delusional, ignorant, or a combination of both. Roger Craig was let go in 1990 because he just wasn't as good as he once was, period, and it had nothing to do with 'tough' fans. He averaged just over 3 yards a carry, and three years later he was out of the league.

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    I wonder if anybody ever got a photo of that tackle from the sidelines signed by both, neither of them have passed on yet? Id buy one (:
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options