Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever bought back a coin that you recently sold?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have sold some coins recently, to scale back the collection, including two coins that are not unusual, rare, or difficult to obtain, in theory, but they are really nice examples for what they are. When I look around the market, there are few coins out there with the attributes of these otherwise common coins. I have expressed to the dealer that if they are not sold in "x" period of time, that I would like to buy them back, at a level, and he is willing to return the coins back to me.

Have you ever repurchased a coin that you sold so recently?

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I sold almost my entire collection in early 2007. Among those coins was a complete set of ChAU (55-58 today) Barber half dollars in a Dansco album. I wish I could get those coins back, but it
    ain't gonna happen---the set was quickly broken up.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes from a different person than I sold to and bought back cheaper.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have repurchased a few from folks I sold to. Did buy a coin from a dealer and traded it to a board member. Said board member eventually consigned it to Heritage where that same dealer bought it back and I almost bought it from him a second time. What goes around sometimes comes around.image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sure have.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes. And usually re-sold for a greater profit the next time. It's a wonderful hobby and business.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Yes. For less money in each instance.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but you can make me an offer.... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, but you can make me an offer.... image >>

I haven't sold it to you, yet? image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes image >>

Liz Coggan once told me that if I liked it once, I'll like it again !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, not here
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No... because I do not sell coins..just acquire them and keep them. imageCheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. It's called seller's remorse.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. When I sell a coin, it's either because I shouldn't have bought it in the first place, or more likely, my collecting habits have changed and it doesn't fit. Ie., I first acquired PF 65 Barber coinage because finding nice mint state examples was too frustrating (especially for the half). Once I got the MS examples, the PFs were sold.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have...

I don't think its unusual to have a change of mind especially for nice examples that you described.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    No, but I do have some sellers remorse at first but then get over it.
    I do make it a point to really think it through so as to not regret selling something.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A B&M dealer I frequent was robbed this year. About a month later, I was in his store, and a guy comes in to sell coins. The owner looked at them, asked if he had more, and the guy went back out to the car. Meanwhile, the police are called, as he was selling the same coins back, still in their 2x2's and boxed, that had been stolen earlier. The person selling them had bought them off CL, but gave up the person who had sold them to him.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only sold a few of the coins that I have ever purchased... Reason being after viewing them in hand decided they weren`t the quality or the look that I look for... Therefore I would never buy them back...

ABimage
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but only 3 or 4 times.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago when I first dabbled as a vest pocket dealer I sold an 1875-CC Twenty Cent piece in Choice AU. I sold it, bought it back a couple months later and sold it again. Today I wish I owned it because it was better than anything I've seen since I've been trying to collect a set of Twenty Cent pieces.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file