Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold or Apple

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or could have lost almost all of the investment in the same time, had the move in the underlying gone the other way?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with guitarwes. How did Apple do the last time Steve Jobs wasn't around? >>

technically that apple no longer exists. see, apple bought Next when they got steve back. but, what really happened though is Next took over apple. IOS is the NextStep API...the NextStep API has thousands upon thousands of developers for it...something the old apple never had. that's going to be hard to kill off in the next 10 years or so. also, i am willing to bet steve has a lot of ideas on the drawing board that he left certain people in charge of developing as technology advances. sure, it's a huge loss and there will be mis-steps without him. but it's not the same scenario as before.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Au was ~$880 end of 2008

AAPL was ~ $90

I asked that question back then and the reasoning was correct to buy AAPL
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ideas on the drawing board are one thing - providing the inspiration to execute the plan well and the impetus to move it forward are another.

I'm what they refer to as a "late adopter". I just bought my very first Apple product today, a new i-phone. If that's not a sell signal, I don't know what is.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

I own some of both, like both for the long term. I'm a buyer of both on their respective dips.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd settle for a home cooked meal and a slice of pie.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The ideas on the drawing board are one thing - providing the inspiration to execute the plan well and the impetus to move it forward are another.

>>

that's true and a fair assessment...but steve jobs did not deliver everything that equates to apples current success. contrary to popular belief, he did not invent the ipod. he bought that invention. he did not invent itunes, he bought it. his single greatest achievement, i think, is the nextstep api. most people don't know what that is. without it, there would be no ipad, iphone, or osx. when you have a solid api and many developers for it...it takes a long time for that to go away. it's not as if someone can go out and create something better overnight. it takes years of development and adoption to get that to happen. the windows api is why microsoft is still around today after all their failures to execute over the past decade or so.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apple refuses to get into my buying zone (like always)image >>

Even with all the carnage today still it refuses to go downimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

MJ >>

GOOG has been very impressive also. I think we know the leaders of the next rally.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    metals will continue to suffer as the eurozone fragments. The dollar is the temporary beneficiary. We all know by now that there is an inverse relationship between the dollar and gold. Keep in mind the fundamentals that speak for gold and speak against the dollar remain unchanged. Also keep in mind that the FED prefers not to have a currency that is stronger than its fiat competitors.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Au was ~$880 end of 2008

AAPL was ~ $90

I asked that question back then and the reasoning was correct to buy AAPL >>

That was my stock buy-in price lol, slightly over $90 but still, that was a good time to beefen up your portfolio.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

GOOG has been very impressive also. I think we know the leaders of the next rally. >>

You just blow up my spot! Yes, what he said...........grrrrrrrr.image

My post was coming. It need a pinch more salt.........MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Both have had about a 12% pullback from their highs.

Question. If you could only buy one and hold it over the next 12 months which would it be and why? Follow up question. What if you could only buy and hold one for the next five years. Which and why.

Gold is at around 1640 and Apple around 565.

MJ >>

As of today:

Gold is 1726 (~ +5%), and Apple is 536.88 (~-5%).

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Both have had about a 12% pullback from their highs.

Question. If you could only buy one and hold it over the next 12 months which would it be and why? Follow up question. What if you could only buy and hold one for the next five years. Which and why.

Gold is at around 1640 and Apple around 565.

MJ >>

As of today:

Gold is 1726 (~ +5%), and Apple is 536.88 (~-5%). >>

Yes, gold has an early six month lead. 4.5 years to go...............MJ
  • Options
    as far as equities go I'd be looking at the miners and particularly the ETF GDXJ. Keep in mind that most all equities will suffer in a mad dash to cash should the AMEX and NY exchanges get hit with a sudden case of the "bug out." Metals took a hit in the 2009 panic, it remains to be seen if this will repeat the next time. This will depend on the view of the dollar as a safehaven. If the dollar is viewed less as a safehaven at that time, metals should attract any resulting loss of dollar confidence.

The big question is "when is the next time."

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apple has some issues lately thats for sure. Even though steve jobs is dead there is still plenty of stupidity from the company in the way they interact with others. I think a lot of people felt he had a few screws loose and they might smarten up a bit without him but it doesn't seem to be happening yet.

The foolishness with samsung is continuing to hurt them and they way they responded in the UK to being ordered to apologize is probably going to lead to more trouble in court.

apology idiocy

Also samsung apparently makes some components for them and decided to bump up prices recently which will cut into margins.

dont poop where you eat apple

They have products which practically sell themselves but they are guilty of all sorts of foolishness .

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Apple has some issues lately thats for sure. Even though steve jobs is dead there is still plenty of stupidity from the company in the way they interact with others. I think a lot of people felt he had a few screws loose and they might smarten up a bit without him but it doesn't seem to be happening yet.

The foolishness with samsung is continuing to hurt them and they way they responded in the UK to being ordered to apologize is probably going to lead to more trouble in court.

Also samsung apparently makes some components for them and decided to bump up prices recently which will cut into margins.

They have products which practically sell themselves but they are guilty of all sorts of foolishness . >>

Or you just really have no clue what you're talking about and are distorting facts. Jobs was a genius and its laughable for you to suggest otherwise. Cute how you ignored the facts where Samsung has been found to have infringed in several countries across multiple design and utility patents. A Samsung exec has also flatly denied your pricing 'rumor' but clearly you're not one to check facts or think for yourself. Wonder how much longer Samsung will beat their head against the wall and follow HTC's lead after already giving up against Msft.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>gold and gold
    why? dollar destruction will not be reversed. >>

• Options
    Apple was up 7%......................today.

That must of been some kind of short covering. MJ
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    USLV was up 8.4% today.image
  • Options

<< <i>USLV was up 8.4% today.image >>

and Ugg's was up 8.5% (DECK) image

MJ
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that nice hard sell off then recovery plus the reduced fears of fiscal cliff really helped it out today.

looks like gold is winning for 2012. so far. until panic hits with the Mayan stuff. I know I'm heading to Tibet. image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>that nice hard sell off then recovery plus the reduced fears of fiscal cliff really helped it out today.

looks like gold is winning for 2012. so far. until panic hits with the Mayan stuff. I know I'm heading to Tibet. image >>

In the interest of accuracy Apple is crushing gold for the year. Gold has marginally performed better since I asked the question. MJ
  • Options
    Maybe Apple should be in charge of the currency?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

anyone buying the dip? image

• Options
    Dell

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First it was Goog vs. Gold, then it was Apple vs. Gold. So who's the next hot running giant to be compared to gold?
    The S&P has left Apple in the dust since last May. Just another GMCR.

Since this thread began:

Gold +2.5%
    Apple -14%
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Here is a good apple story.

over valued at $500? maybe but I'd buy it if I could get this deal

This must be why folks want to be in the 1% crowd image
  • Options

<< <i>First it was Goog vs. Gold, then it was Apple vs. Gold. So who's the next hot running giant to be compared to gold?
    The S&P has left Apple in the dust since last May. Just another GMCR.

Since this thread began:

Gold +2.5%
    Apple -14% >>

down 11.5% image

was 565 now 500...........MJ
  • Options
    Well with Apple pooping the bed after hours the barbarous relic widens it's lead on hipster tech..............MJ
  • Options
    Geez, the company only sold 48 million Iphones last quarter, and only made $13 billion in profits.. what a bitter disappointment!

• Options
    It was interesting to see the trading screen for Apple after the close, as the computers were jousting back & forth after their earnings came out. It was weird.image

Geez, the company only sold 48 million Iphones last quarter, and only made $13 billion in profits.. what a bitter disappointment!

So, maybe it's all downhill after 48 million units in a quarter?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, the company only sold 48 million Iphones last quarter, and only made $13 billion in profits.. what a bitter disappointment! >>

It could be dissapointing when the share price is $700 at a market cap of $650 BILL.

Barrick Gold sold 1.78 MILL oz of gold and 112 MILL lbs of copper last quarter....also has a proven/probable 120 MILL gold ounces in the ground ($200 BILL worth).
    And probably double that amount if you count all gold and copper reserves and resources. Dissappointing though that they didn't make much money.
  • Options

<< <i>It was interesting to see the trading screen for Apple after the close, as the computers were jousting back & forth after their earnings came out. It was weird.image

So, maybe it's all downhill after 48 million units in a quarter? >>

Probably. After all, how many more people need/want one, and how often will they need a new one? Eventually, the market will be saturated.

Kind of like, once someone has a hundred ounces of gold or five thousand ounces of silver, how many more ounces do they really need? image

• Options

They were discussing apple yesterday afternoon on CNBC . That annoying fast money show with all the permabulls and options geeks.

Heres a link hopefully cue to the 16 minute mark for apple

This guy is saying don't buy apple before the earnings , his position seems to annoy the rest of the herd and they go into attack mode . They take turns misrepresenting what he just said to attempt to make him look stupid. The blonde woman goes on a rant where she keeps saying why is your cost basis even relevant except for tax purposes?:Funny

They practically chased the poor guy off the air by the 20 minute mark. Then Gary kaminsky comes on and offers his opinion that mutual funds drove apple up by buying the stock to get themselves up to a certain weighting and that buying tapered off and thats why its declined , he then opines that apple needs to announce a buyback of shares to halt the slide. The blonde woman then stammers some nonsense , the other 3 crickets don't chirp even once and the host changes the subject.

The first guy went off script and they will probably lose his number . That blonde woman may be the dumbest person I have ever seen on CNBC , she makes that meat puppet Maria look like steven hawking in comparison.

• Options

<< <i>Geez, the company only sold 48 million Iphones last quarter, and only made $13 billion in profits.. what a bitter disappointment! >>

Price action often disappoints regardless of fundamentals. image

Good thing faith based fundamentals never disappoint.

• Options
    I watch CNBC all day as I work..................with the volume "off". I get so much more out of it that way.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I just think its interesting that when the guest on CNBC said he was bullishish long term on apple but don't buy before the earnings they ripped him apart. Today its down what $54 a share image

Step aside and let things play out was what he advised then buy afterwards.

Today after the open even that idiot Cramer couldn't put a positive spin on what happened. They just sit there and maintain how unfair it is that it dropped

If you are a short term trader you aren't listening to these idiots anyway except maybe to do the opposite of what they suggest . They are preaching to retail investors and deliberately giving them terrible advice.
  • Options
    Even after AAPLs massive decline, it has still outperformed gold over the last 2 years.

So how about now---over the next year, what will have a better return, gold or aapl?

• Options

<< <i>Even after AAPLs massive decline, it has still outperformed gold over the last 2 years.
    So how about now---over the next year, what will have a better return, gold or aapl? >>

This is ironic. First gold gets ambushed as being a lousy investment over 20, 30, 50 or a 100 years. Then when it does really well over the past 10 yrs
    everyone focuses on the previous 20-50. And even when the thread is about a one year comparison and gold is going to win that bet, a 2 yr comparison gets brought up.
    I guess it comes with the territority that after 12 consecutive years closing higher, that most people in the country dislike gold. After all, gold is the cause of all our problems. image

Over the next year? I'll take gold over apple again. And the same thing each and every year up to Dec 31st, 2016. No one ever said gold was the best investment of
    all time, or even for 1 yr, 2 yrs, or 10 yrs. But it is a rebalancer & extinguisher of sovereign debt and fiat. That's all it's been trying to do for the past 10 yrs, as well as the next 5 yrs.
  • Options
    After all, how many more people need/want one, and how often will they need a new one? Eventually, the market will be saturated.

Kind of like, once someone has a hundred ounces of gold or five thousand ounces of silver, how many more ounces do they really need?

I think that the more relevant question is, when only 0.01% of the population owns any gold or silver, how many more people will want to own it when the dollar continues crashing and their retirement savings and current earnings continue to deteriorate?

that meat puppet Maria

lol! There are days, though................

Even after AAPLs massive decline, it has still outperformed gold over the last 2 years.

So how about now---over the next year, what will have a better return, gold or aapl?

This thread's only 7 months old, and you already want a reset? So you concede?image

it is a rebalancer & extinguisher of sovereign debt and fiat. That's all it's been trying to do for the past 10 yrs, as well as the next 5 yrs.

It's that invisible hand thingie. It will win.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    This is about central banks that own tens of millions of ounces of gold and want more. And central banks that own thousands of tonnes of gold and want to bring it home
    for safer keeping. It's also about several billion Asians and Europeans that want to own gold for thier own security and savings. The Chinese as a nation are probably taking
    in 30 MILL ounces of gold per year. Joe Six Pack is sort of irrelevant in this discussion. China can pick Apple or Gold. I'd say they are picking both....or maybe Samsung and gold. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Even after AAPLs massive decline, it has still outperformed gold over the last 2 years.
    So how about now---over the next year, what will have a better return, gold or aapl? >>

This is ironic. First gold gets ambushed as being a lousy investment over 20, 30, 50 or a 100 years. Then when it does really well over the past 10 yrs
    everyone focuses on the previous 20-50. And even when the thread is about a one year comparison and gold is going to win that bet, a 2 yr comparison gets brought up.
    I guess it comes with the territority that after 12 consecutive years closing higher, that most people in the country dislike gold. After all, gold is the cause of all our problems. image

Over the next year? I'll take gold over apple again. And the same thing each and every year up to Dec 31st, 2016. No one ever said gold was the best investment of
    all time, or even for 1 yr, 2 yrs, or 10 yrs. But it is a rebalancer & extinguisher of sovereign debt and fiat. That's all it's been trying to do for the past 10 yrs, as well as the next 5 yrs. >>

Point is that even with all this QE over the last 2 years gold has still underperformed a company that makes overpriced gadgets. I dont get it.

• Options
    And even when the thread is about a one year comparison and gold is going to win that bet

Wanna bet? image

• Options

<< <i>And even when the thread is about a one year comparison and gold is going to win that bet

Wanna bet? image >>

Do you mean May 2013 for the previous 1 yr, or Jan 2014 for the next 1 yr?

Doesn't matter I guess. I'd bet for gold either way.

YUP. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apple for accessing information
    Gold for hedging inflation.
    Risk for reward and vice versa.
  • Options

Gold .............. but not right this second

• Options
    Point is that even with all this QE over the last 2 years gold has still underperformed a company that makes overpriced gadgets. I dont get it.

What's not to understand? Apple has an $85 billion/month wind at it's back, and gold is "outside the system". Apples vs. Oranges.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    "Stacking" AAPL from 2008 has not been a dissapointment for me at all...yet.