Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Paper envelope toning... I still have the envelope it sat in for years...

EDIT: TrueView added

• Tim

Nice! I like that one. 👍

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2022 2:17PM

@LJenkins11 said:
    1843, WB-29, Center Dot, AU50

Nice coin! Amazing date for die cracks. This is the "baseball die crack" of the cracked up 1843s. Do you know how many reeds it has? EDS -144 reeds, LDS - 145 reeds.

3 rim nicks away from Good
    edited September 20, 2022 10:54PM

My first attempt at cell phone photography (well, my gf helped with the cellphone). Both coins are mid to late die state 1855/54 coins cherry picked off of eBay.

Coin#1 - photo exaggerates the wiping on this coin but captures much of its toning.

Coin#2 - photos fail to capture most of the colorful toning on this coin. The obverse is more darkly and evenly toned than it appears here.

I'm gonna have to tinker with lighting angles to get a better representation of these coins' overall toning and color. Though each coin has been messed with to a degree (Coin#1 - wiped, Coin#2 - dipped) I believe they will both straight-grade, with coin#2 having better non-abraded surfaces and less wear. What do others think here? Any lighting suggestions to bring out color or is it try, try again until one gets it correct.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Color / white balance is one of the big weaknesses of taking photos with a cell phone.
    Trying using sunlight or incandescent and a white or grey background.
    If you are lucky, one of these combinations will yield close to the actual color.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@LJenkins11 said:

Nice coin! Amazing date for die cracks. This is the "baseball die crack" of the cracked up 1843s. Do you know how many reeds it has? EDS -144 reeds, LDS - 145 reeds.

Due to the holder ring insert I have no way to verify.

@LJenkins11 said:

@Barberian said:

@LJenkins11 said:

Due to the holder ring insert I have no way to verify.

I realize that and I must have deleted my comment that it's impossible without removing the holder ring. My apologies. A pronged holder would at least enable one to estimate the coin's diameter, which also changed with collar die changes.

Better yet, one can still determine the die state by looking for die lines at the bottom of the reverse shield. I cannot see this well enough in the photo to decide. Anyway, the die states have the same roughly estimated rarity, so there isn't much incentive to check other than knowing.

Again, it's a nice, original-looking coin.

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    Whew - there's a tough group to assemble.

Thank you Rhedden! If memory serves, I recall you are an expert Seated Quarter fellow. You have your share of rare dates as well! More tough Seated Quarters than dimes.

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be interested to hear thoughts from fellow Seated set builders as to how you would rank the comparative rarity of each denomination.

• brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your comment. I first saw that example on Gerry's site a few weeks ago, and the reverse die cracks are definitely much more spectacular than on mine. Interesting to contemplate the production conditions in the New Orleans mint in 1838/39.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@rhedden said:
    Whew - there's a tough group to assemble.

Thank you Rhedden! If memory serves, I recall you are an expert Seated Quarter fellow. You have your share of rare dates as well! More tough Seated Quarters than dimes.

Yeah, it's not even close between quarters and halves here. My Seated 25c are in great shape, and once I find a certain P-mint in a PCGS holder, the set will be complete in PCGS holders - mostly F12 through AU, with many MS63-67 pieces in the later dates. I can almost count my Seated 10c on one hand, and the only nice ones I have are proofs. At the time I started collecting Seated material, the dime varieties had already been well-described and had an active following, so I never took an interest in them.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins!

Nice coin. The extra 6 is easily visible. I believe the 1866 "6 in dentils" is die marriage WB-1, though. Undoubtedly a typo.

One of my 1866-S with Motto (WB-3) has a similar heavy patina as shown in the seller's photos below.

• justindanjustindan Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRGeyer great 1850 O.

edited October 18, 2022 7:56PM

@TPRC said:
    Just a couple of circ half dimes that are fully original. Personally, I think the grades are pretty much identical, but the '38 graded 45 and the '53 graded 50

FYI, this is a nice 1838 V-1 EDS, before the rust pits on the arm show up.
    The main die marker is the repunched star 3.
    I can also see the parallel rust lines in the field right of the arm that are visible on other EDSs.

This one has the hubbed date and arrows with the pointed 5 flag;
    about half the 1853 obverses use this hub, which makes them very hard to attribute to a specific die pair.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you kindly!!!

Tom

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching that coin at GC. I was sorely tempted. Congratulations.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nederveit2 said:

OUCH!!!! Sweet!

Tom

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nederveit2 said:

Photoshop flip?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the valuation of Seated has gone up again in CoinFacts? nifty!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

The coins above arrived and they're, ahem, not nice.

The 1855 was indeed a 55/54 as I had surmised, but the date area is so worn and corroded that I could barely find the diagnostic characters. I was able to clearly see the underlying 8, and the doubled flag on the first 5 "looks right" and lends some support for the overdate. However, seeing the 4-bar on the 2nd 5, everyone's favorite diagnostic, is a tug of war between pareidolia and reality. I've looked at it enough that I believe reality wins, which is reassuring. Anyway, the underlying 8 is all that's needed to verify the overdate. I paid 3X what it's worth on the eBay market.

The 1840-O WB9 is better but shows hairlines from past wiping or cleaning. Probably paid 50% more than the price for a problem-free common die marriage (R2-R3), but this isn't exactly a common die marriage (R4) and true baseball die crack 40-Os and 41-Os are popular die marriages.

I'll grit my teeth and keep them both.

@JRGeyer said:
    The march continues in my Seated Half Dime collection. Three new additions, the '48 and '53-O courtesy of the Great Collections auction this past weekend:

Some more good ones! My attributions for the die pairs:

1854-O V-5 The characteristic obverse cracks are visible at S6 and S8, and the reverse has the shallow O and weak ERI.

1853-O V-6 This has the repunched mint mark, same as the V-1 no arrows reverse. It has a slightly concave and ragged upper left edge. There should also be repunching visible in the lower inner curve of the O, but toning is there which makes it hard to see from the photo.

1848 V-5 Obv. date center, Rev. cool bisecting die crack E1 - C. Normally a bisecting crack is enough to make it a Top 100 half dime variety, but in this case the Top 100 spot was stolen by the V-9, which has the same reverse crack, plus a far right date.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRGeyer said:
    The march continues in my Seated Half Dime collection. Three new additions, the '48 and '53-O courtesy of the Great Collections auction this past weekend:

The 1854-O half dime is very tough to find in AU or better. I think it gets overlooked because other 1854-O denominations are plentiful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file