Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice, original look on that 1842-O half. Even the large date is difficult to locate in XF or better with nice surfaces.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

This WB-05 '61-O DET I saw this morning available at hjbltd.com Halan Berk's site.
    Pardon my ignorance, the '61-O is only a slightly better date?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Here's one that just paused under the camera, raw:

A dime to go with your half dime... tilted a bit to see some of the color:

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I would but my wife doesn't like to be photographed on the toilet. SORRY. lol

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rhedden,

that is really a nice 53 no arrows

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@LJenkins11 said:
    XF45

Quintessential candidate for a Guess The Grade contest.
    And a reconsideration for that matter.
    Gorgeous coin!

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't used to like the Seated Lib design, but it's grown on me over the years.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent looking 1859-O half dollar. Congratulations.

• Options

I recall having an 1862-S half in somewhat worse shape that I took to a coin shop to sell in 1994. Back then, Seated 50c were considered unpopular and not worth collecting by date. I think I got $12 for it. He looked it up on the greysheet to see if it was a better date, and it's had the "common type" price in F-12, just like most of the other coins in the series. I seriously think there were only a handful of people out there who even knew which dates were scarce back in those days.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, TruViews play with the color too much. If you want pics that will look just like your coin try putting a couple of lights at 10 and 2, at about the same height as your camera (phone). The lighting is the key.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0ronron said:
    I stepped way out of my comfort zone on this purchase, this is my very first seated liberty and my first real "coin" purchase. I have a lot of slabbed bullion and it is pretty and nice but this is the first I bought on eye appeal/toning alone. I feel that toning brings great individuality to the coin rather than blast white. The seller did not do a great job photographing the coin with its strike all the way through face to shoulder so that was kind of a disappointment when I received it and started trying to photograph it for hours on end in every kind of light (with my android) and these are the best I could come up with. In hand this coin has the most vibrant greens that turn in to electric blue in the sunlight and that blemish is not noticeable. Overall I am pleased with this coin and feel the grade is appropriate given the condition. Should I send it in to CAC?

Do you think I should send it in for a true view or have someone here picture it for me... any suggestions?

I suspect it will be rejected because it has mottled toning similar to that of improperly dipped/washed coins.

Keep this in mind, though, a former PCGS grader posted his only post here to tell me how idiotic I was in suspecting cleaning for sharp breaks in toning on a SLH. :o

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    Finally located an 1849-O quarter that matches my set. The True View shows the actual detail level on this one, but it makes the toning look questionable. My photo shows the actual color of the coin, which is natural, but my camera's focus mechanism is on its death bed, so it's blurry. Can't win!

Love the 49-O quarter! A high grade for this issue!

• Options

One of the nastiest coins in the set to locate with acceptable surfaces, never mind CAC approval. Your typical certified 1849-O quarter received a mercy grade despite the surfaces.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file