Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2017 9:07AM

(above image) 1840 10C F-103 "chin whiskers" R3 according to Fortin (above image)

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1840nd_103page.htm

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Just scored this one to upgrade my PC55... this new one is from Dick Osburn's personal collection, from the 2014 Heritage ANA sale. The deal was too good, so I couldn't pass up the upgrade opportunity...

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

1869-S is a difficult Seated half to find nice. Good job getting that one! I bought the 1852-P out of the Osburn collection. It's a strictly graded NGC MS63 with nice eye appeal. I bought it in the secondary market from a dealer who won it in the sale. Since that time, it's increased in value dramatically, so I made out well on that one.

• Options

PCGS XF45 (blue label holder)

• Options

PCGS VF25

• Options
    DoubleJCoinsDoubleJCoins Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Pcgs AU53

Feel Free to Check out my eBay Listings
    stores.ebay.com/DoubleJCoins?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2017 8:43AM

No posts in over three days? Unacceptable! :smile:

Let's get the thread back on track. Special thanks to Mike Printz for selling this one to me.

Slabbed by our hosts as an XF45:

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

New purchase from Gerry Fortin today (on hold). PCGS F12. Once this arrives, I will FINALLY have a dirty, original 1849-O quarter in a PCGS holder, which replaces a scratched VG that I have had for the last 9 years. It's not close to the drop-dead awesome XF from Doug's Iowa collection shown on the previous page, but it fits the bill for my set. I am trying to acquire all of the scarce and rare dates in crusty, unmolested condition, even if it means dropping down a bit in grade. Most 1849-O quarters in VF to AU grades are dipped, washed, too bright, retoned, etc. because they have been considered a key date for so many years, and there has always been a temptation to mess with them.

• Options
    tdiaz1979tdiaz1979 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Ron, congrats on your new 49-O quarter. Such a tough date!

Doug

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tdiaz1979
    Beautiful photo presentation :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot's of beauties posted here in the past few days.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

This one's a common date quarter, but I thought it had a really attractive appearance. Sort of a warm, "well-aged" patina that is a little crusty and colorful at the same time.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

Cary - Wonderful eye appeal.

Pics for this PM, just crossed into Paesan's Stash, PC12:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this AM, this toughie journeyed 200 miles east to become my type coin (thanks Doug), PC6:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2017 6:30AM

I grade that 1870-cc VG08. Nice acquisition! People who see this coin and do not collect Seated quarters might not know how hard it is to find this coin in ANY grade without damage or cleaning. I would estimate the population of 1870-cc Seated quarters at 80 to 100 pieces. I know there are at least 73 of them around, as I have 73 photos of them on my hard drive. (It was 72 yesterday-thanks for posting! :) ) 1871-cc and 1873-CC No Arrows are the two Seated quarter date/mm combinations that are scarcer than 1870-cc. I'm not counting varieties like 1840-O WD Large O.

• Options

Here's a common date half dollar for those of you waking up from your Sunday afternoon nap...

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking 70-cc for the grade

• Options

Ron - 73! Nice reference library.

Cary - Thanks for the eye opener.

Jim - I agree. Not quite in your grade range, but still rare enough.

Zoins - What a beauty, thanks for posting.

Pics for this PM, from Doug's collection, PC35:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

the toning on the reverse is BEAUTIFUL!

• Options

Pics for this PM, from Doug's collection, PC30:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from Doug's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Very nice Vern!

Doug

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Please tell me mine isn't some rare expensive half dime. I sold it in a lot of 12 coins on eBay and got robbed and paid 90$ for the whole lot from what I remember

• Options

Slabbed by our friends ATS:

• Options

Watchbelieve - I don't think you have to worry about your half dime .

Cary - Good looking half.

Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection, PC30:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Man those 50's and 60's S-mint quarters are a bear. What a great, original piece that 61-S is!

• Options

Cary - Couldn't agree more. Doug's has his collection in the registry as the Iowa Collection.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from Doug's collection, PC35:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC25:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2017 9:40AM

Here's an EXTREMELY rare variety: the 1843 "Shattered Reverse" Seated Quarter. Briggs mentions it in his book, but he has no photo to go with it. Not sure how many there are of these out there, but I've only ever seen one other example. Mine is slabbed by our hosts as an XF40:

• Options

Cary - Nice find, good looking qtr.

Pics for this PM, from Paesan's Stash, PC25:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Couple of new purchases from David Kahn, both PCGS XF40.

• Options

@rhedden said:
    Couple of new purchases from David Kahn, both PCGS XF40.

Great mid-grade pieces, Ron.

• Options

pocketpiece - Our friend Holed will be jealous.

Ron - Two beauties, congratulations.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Now I know why it's such a challenge to find nice looking circulated quarters. Doug and Ron and Lenny appear to be hoarding all of them. :D

• Options

Cary - They certainly have their share.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC25:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, from Doug's collection, PC!12:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, from Doug's collection, PC!12:

Doug may want to crack that coin, acetone it and resubmit for grading. There is some untreated PVC at the bottom margin of the middle arrowhead and just above the period after "DOL" on the reverse. It will get worse and spread if untreated. Also, the coin looks F15 to me so he would probably get an upgrade out of this as well.

• Options

I'm quite sure the 1864-S would upgrade to F-15 as well. I don't know if the green specks are PVC that would come off with acetone for sure, though. I usually see PVC on the high points where the coin contacted the PVC flip. These little green spots are sometimes not PVC. If acetone is in the works, I might put a little on a cotton swab and just touch it to the green spots to see if it's removable.

• Options

In my experience, what I've seen happen is that the high points of a coin tend to get treated by the cotton swab method while the fields and crevices aren't treated as thoroughly. The "treater" thinks he's gotten rid of all of the visible PVC, but he misses a tiny, virtually invisible amount in the protected areas that, over time, starts to grow after the coin has been re-slabbed. I've seen green corrosion areas on copper that weren't PVC, but I don't know if I've ever seen green corrosion areas on silver that were anything except PVC.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2017 12:00PM

Also, with no slight against Doug and Lenny who both have great Seated Quarter collections on the PCGS Registry, everyone needs to go check out Ron's set listed on Gerry Fortin's website. Just a ton of eye candy and a truly remarkable accomplishment. Don't miss out just because it isn't listed here on our host's website.

• Options

You could be right about missed PVC spots. I was just think about a couple of half dimes I have, which had little green spots that did not respond to acetone. With any luck, the spots on the 1864-s will come right off on the cotton swab.

Thanks for the mention on my set. I more proud of the work it took to get all those photos up there than I am of the coins themselves!

• Options

I know what you mean, Ron. Taking all those photos can be a chore, especially if one is attempting to get some uniformity to the images. 100+ coins, both sides, plus cropping, etc. Makes for a very, VERY long and tedious day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file