Home Precious Metals

GOLD AND SILVER, ECONOMIC NEWS, COINS, 2016

Comments

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PC, You need to travel outside the country a bit more. You're beginning to sound like derryb. imageimage >>

I get around more than most... I'll be visiting Brazil in a few weeks. My first time in 10 years. Will be interesting to see how it has changed. Would love to be there now to see how the gov't shutdown is perceived there. IT will probably be over by the time I get there.

<< <i>Govt by definition is dysfunctional, and while im sure the Founding Fathers may not be completely happy with some of the liberties being taken against the Constitution, I bet they are extremely happy with the discourse, form and manner, and overall performance. Our G is far, far from dysfunctional, especially when compared to Russia, China, India, Brazil---the so-called bricks of the Earth. >>

While I agree that it is working as designed, this time is different than any previous times I recall. Refusing to negotiate and being unable to find common ground when there actually should be plenty of common ground is not a good thing, in addition to the president being vindictive about the shutdown (OK, they can shutdown all non-essential agencies, but the Obamacare website is somehow essential?). There is an extra level of insanity and arrogance (on all sides) in Washington that hasn't been present before.

<< <i>And while the economy may not be what we have been accustomed to over the last 30 years, (impossible to repeat this growth without a population bulge), it is very sound. Are you not selling houses in Phoenix? Are prices not rising? Do you not see ANY new construction? While I do see lots of vacant commercial property in my area, I also see lots of new construction--both residential and commercial throughout my travels. >>

The economy is actually not in good shape. The US doesn't make anything anymore. The labor participation rate is abysmal, the true unemployment rate is high, and those who do have work are being cut to part time status due to Obamacare. The business climate is hostile with a barrier of 50 employees being one that you do not want to cross, and you best not hire anyone full time. Not to mention if you want to be a gun manufacturer or be involved in certain industries. God forbid someone who'd want to build a power plant or refinery. There is no economic engine to be kick-started.

Sure RE in Phoenix has been selling but mostly to investors. Investor demand can dry up quickly and it actually has already started to. There are a lot of indications that the RE market is slowing down both locally and nationally. It will take a few more months of data to confirm this.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy Rodgers says that there's going to be a worldwide food shortage[/]

I'll take Jimmy's bet on that. The USA and Canada will not have a food shortage. People in the arid regions, or area of overpopulation may suffer, but then again, didnt they suffer even before any financial crisis or iPhones?

Every year I hear about some drought or disease wiping out the food supply, yet every year people are fed. FWIW, the average American could use a reduction food consumption by about 400 calories per day. Imagine if we could just send those extra calories to Africa or Asia. Imagine the reduced medical burden on this country.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

The US doesn't make anything anymore.

I hear this all the time, but what it is that you would want us to produce here?

There are a lot of indications that the RE market is slowing down both locally and nationally

I sure hope so because it was getting over heated again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little backing and filling.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US doesn't make anything anymore.

Why do people say this? It's the most ridiculous thing to say, and it's repeated so often. Millions of Americans make billions of things per day.

Many of those things are useful for the people who buy them, and some of them are profitable for the manufacturer to produce.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A large portion of American manufacturing jobs are no longer performed in America by Americans. There are plenty of jobs servicing and fixing things that were imported.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>The US doesn't make anything anymore.
    I hear this all the time, but what it is that you would want us to produce here?
    Why do people say this? It's the most ridiculous thing to say, and it's repeated so often. Millions of Americans make billions of things per day. >>

Everything. Textiles, tools, equipment, electronics. Sure there are niche and small-time manufacturers for everything here, but try sourcing anything made in America and it will be a challenge to do so. Manufacturing is a key component of any economy.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The Obamacare Act is really such a major source of cognitive dissonance. Of all small businesses, 97 percent of them have less than 50 employees. Of the remaining small businesses, 96 percent of them offer health care at present. That leaves one tenth of one percent or .0012 businesses affected by it.

I believe that providing 30 million people with health care with be a job creator, not destroy. The CBO estimated (neutral, but not always all that right) a 100 billion dollar savings from reduced costs from it.

All I am saying is that from an economic view, it is a non starter. Let's argue about other influences on the economy.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>New $100 bill >>

Love the line, "The Federal Reserve, which has not been affected by the shutdown."
    Why would a private bank be affected by the government shutdown?
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "The Federal Reserve, which has not been affected by the shutdown."

Daddy want's his money

They might not be affected by the shut down but the FRB may still have some bidness to take care of.
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Automotive, Farm Equipment, Machinery and Engines, Aerospace, Defense, Technology, Bio-Tech, Medicine, Medical Supplies and Equipment, Entertainment Industry, Booze, Furniture, Chemicals, P&G type products, Levi's, Harley-Davidson.

We still do OK here. Yes we do some outsourcing to other countries but it's a world economy now, no longer our own playground.

Many great companies here. Think about it. Then look at the rest of the world and see how many truly great companies they have by comparison.

John

Edited to add: Martin Guitars, Steinway Pianos.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

Did You Know...

In 2012, manufacturers contributed $1.87 trillion to the economy, up from $1.73 trillion in 2011. This was 11.9 percent of GDP. For every $1.00 spent in manufacturing, another $1.48 is added to the economy, the highest multiplier effect of any economic sector. 1

Manufacturing supports an estimated 17.2 million jobs in the United States—about one in six private-sector jobs. Nearly 12 million Americans (or 9 percent of the workforce) are employed directly in manufacturing.2

In 2011, the average manufacturing worker in the United States earned $77,060 annually, including pay and benefits. The average worker in all industries earned $60,168.3

Manufacturers in the United States are the most productive in the world, far surpassing the worker productivity of any other major manufacturing economy, leading to higher wages and living standards.4

Manufacturers in the United States perform two-thirds of all private-sector R&D in the nation, driving more innovation than any other sector.5

Taken alone, manufacturing in the United States would be the 10th largest economy in the world

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The Federal Reserve, which has not been affected by the shutdown."

Daddy want's his money

They might not be affected by the shut down but the FRB may still have some bidness to take care of. >>

They are making some noise, SWHTF when they want it paid in something other than USD. The Chinese will make sure the fans are running, too.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taken alone, manufacturing in the United States would be the 10th largest economy in the world

Some context might be a bit more meaningful. How does this compare to 10 or 20 years ago?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Taken alone, manufacturing in the United States would be the 10th largest economy in the world

Some context might be a bit more meaningful. How does this compare to 10 or 20 years ago? >>

Allow me to add some context to your context. How does the world compare to the world 10 or 20 years ago?

I guess what I am saying is a percentage of the total pie decline is to be expected when competition increases. No?

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭
    Whenever you're out shopping, look for made in the USA... I don't know how many times I've seen a made in the USA that's just a tad more expensive. I choose the slightly more expensive item. That's, of course, just my opinion image

I don't know how many times I've seen a made in the USA that's just a tad more expensive.

I dont believe you. Everyone knows that nothing is made in America.image

<< <i>I don't know how many times I've seen a made in the USA that's just a tad more expensive.

I dont believe you. Everyone knows that nothing is made in America.image >>

inflation is made in America

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    I know my socks don't last like they used to. Get heel holes within a month. Thing may be made cheaper in China, but they don't last, so you end up buying even more.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    I had to resurrect this thread from the archives??image

Maybe late 2015?

I've pulled up an article from late 2009 when he was publishing from Ft Dix

JUST click on hyper link shiftCTRL Group and it should take you there
    Do I believe BLS @ 1% inflation, or do I believe John Williams @ 8.5% inflation?

Well, considering that BLS changes their definitions whenever the politicians are feeling any heat at all, I'd have to go with John Williams.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Do I believe BLS @ 1% inflation, or do I believe John Williams @ 8.5% inflation?

Well, considering that BLS changes their definitions whenever the politicians are feeling any heat at all, I'd have to go with John Williams. >>

Maybe better to not exclusively follow opinions of either those two or others who throw numbers out there, single numbers that are intended to summarize an entire economy??

Instead, maybe better to estimate inflation rate, for example, by an evaluation of change in prices of things that individual buys (recognizing that some of those price changes are not soley caused by "monetary inflation/deflation", but rather also by things like changing supply and demand, the seasons, the weather, events and "news", etc)

I see prices as relatively stable, and overall lean much closer to 1-2% Y/Y for the things my family buys, yes some items are up 10% or more, but meanwhile other prices are down.

<< <i>yes some items are up 10% or more, but meanwhile other prices are down. >>

Problem for most Americans is the necessities are up 10% or more and the luxuries are down. When one can barely afford the necessities, luxuries are irrelevent.

<< <i>

<< <i>yes some items are up 10% or more, but meanwhile other prices are down. >>

Problem for most Americans is the necessities are up 10% or more and the luxuries are down. When one can barely afford the necessities, luxuries are irrelevent. >>

Can you give us an example or two of a Necessity that is up 10% so far this year? Bonus if you include a link to a one year, and a multi-year chart that we can look at

<< <i>

<< <i>

Problem for most Americans is the necessities are up 10% or more and the luxuries are down. When one can barely afford the necessities, luxuries are irrelevent. >>

Can you give us an example or two of a Necessity that is up 10% so far this year? Bonus if you include a link to a one year, and a multi-year chart that we can look at >>

Stop looking at your charts and actually go into a grocery store. Other inflated "neccessity" prices include medical care, prescription drugs, and property/income/usage taxes. Those that receive any of these necessities at no cost are doing so at the additional (inflation) cost to someone else. Providing entitlements to one group is done at the additional expense of another group. In a growing entitlement enviornment the result is growing additional costs to someone else. While Baleyville may be expempt from this reality, the remainder of the country is not.

Heresay has it that health insurance has virtually doubled while the deductibles have quadrupled. But that's not really a necessity unless you actually need it.

I knew it would happen.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heresay has it that health insurance has virtually doubled while the deductibles have quadrupled. But that's not really a necessity unless you actually need it. >>

I'm changing my forum ID name to "heresay."

Thanks "UnAffordable Care Act." Just found out my plan is going up 25% this year to $960/month. For a $11,500 annual fee I get 2 physicals for me and my wife and a $10,000 deductable. Maybe it’s time to raise the deductable to $20K or just go w/o insurance? I’ve had this plan for 4 years and it has been going up 6-14% each year. But this jump was a shocker. Hey, but I can still get to “keep my old” plan….lol. Who would have thought 5 years ago when I was first paying $430/month in late 2009 that this would become a 2nd mortgage payment? Guess I should be happy that my costs didn't double?

.... guess what I am saying is a percentage of the total pie decline is to be expected when competition increases. No?

We didn't shrink the majority of our piece of the pie via competition. We exported it lock, stock and barrel starting with the NAFTA craze. And those additional profits earned overseas haven't made their way back to the mainland (ie repatriation). Short term it was good for executive bonuses and shareholder profits. Long term though we've lost those industries forever.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    Remember, it's not really health insurance. By definition, it's a tax. This will become painfully obvious when people try to get the services of a doc.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Remember, it's not really health insurance. By definition, it's a tax. This will become painfully obvious when people try to get the services of a doc. >>

That makes me feel better. My health insurance is still $770/month but the extra $190 is a tax. Phew. I thought I was in trouble. image
    Ah, health care costs, is it? The demographics, policy trends, and general human nature all have indicated for some years now that health care expenditures will tend to rise... yet some folks actively avoid investing some (any?) of their capital in the sector? image

<< <i>Ah, health care costs, is it? The demographics, policy trends, and general human nature all have indicated for some years now that health care expenditures will tend to rise... yet some folks actively avoid investing some (any?) of their capital in the sector? image >>

While premiums may be rising 24% per year, I doubt you'll see HMO profits any where near that amount. The ACA may just force tens of millions of current policy holders to just go w/o....they'll be in good company as this becomes the next "boom"...........shucking your health care. If the HMO's have no one to care for....I'd guess the rates would have to come down???? image

<< <i>If the HMO's have no one to care for....I'd guess the rates would have to come down???? image >>

Surely the banks have the foresight to already have "medical" loans on the shelf, ready to go. Now that their loans have educated about everyone in the country, time to facilitate some healing.

• Thanks "UnAffordable Care Act." Just found out my plan is going up 25% this year to $960/month. For a $11,500 annual fee I get 2 physicals for me and my wife and a $10,000 deductable. "

RR this is really nuts!!!!!!!
  • I know all of you are waiting on pins and needles to hear my latest opinions so here you go.

We are seeing very high inflation in the lower products and service areas as this is where all the digital money is being created and given out.

Most of the QE the Fed has created is going to buy U.S. debt in new auctions, nearly 4 trillion, that debt should be added to the nation debt as it will have to be paid back by the treasury so the current account national debt should read 21 trillion and not 17 trillion.

A big time art dealer is saying that the drug lords, Russian billionaires, Chinese billionaires, and most everyone else with big money are desperate to by anything of hard asset value. Paintings are selling over 100 million; big diamonds over 50 million, racecars are selling at 1 to 5 million for new ones, and higher for old ones. Bitcoin is trading at $450 to $900 and Richard Branson has jumped in the middle of this electronic money.

Gee makes one think why Bitcoin would go to $900 and gold would go down????

The next recession should start in the 1st quarter of next year, it has been over five years into the cycle.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "The next recession should start in the 1st quarter of next year..."

Just about in time for the mid-term election cycle.

Dr. Hunter S Thompson, Fear and Loathing, Campaign trail '72: "When the goin' gets weird, the weird turn pro."

The next recession should start in the 1st quarter of next year, it has been over five years into the cycle.

I thought that the business cycle had been dispensed with, permanently. Can't they just keep pumping more "money"?

I knew it would happen.
    American Boondoggle Meets Chinese Methods

"BYD stands for “Build Your Dream.” And maybe that’s what they’re trying to do in China. But here they’re building a nightmare, lushly funded by hapless American taxpayers – and they paid Chinese workers in California $1.50 per hour to do it."

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>American Boondoggle Meets Chinese Methods

"BYD stands for “Build Your Dream.” And maybe that’s what they’re trying to do in China. But here they’re building a nightmare, lushly funded by hapless American taxpayers – and they paid Chinese workers in California $1.50 per hour to do it." >>

Interesting how things are just swept under the rug... and projects pushed through just for politically correct reasons. Electric vehicles good for the environment? Hmmm... perhaps not... when one compares all of the hidden costs like the increased road maintenance, disposal of old batteries, etc.

Just heard also about an US utility being fined one million dollars.... because of their wind farms killing eagles and other birds. But wait... the wind farms are economical and environment friendly, right??
    ----- kj

<< <i>Interesting how things are just swept under the rug... and projects pushed through just for politically correct reasons. Electric vehicles good for the environment? Hmmm... perhaps not... when one compares all of the hidden costs like the increased road maintenance, disposal of old batteries, etc.

Just heard also about an US utility being fined one million dollars.... because of their wind farms killing eagles and other birds. But wait... the wind farms are economical and environment friendly, right?? >>

What's more interesting is to look at industries with little to no government involvment vs. those that Washington demands to be a part of. Take technology where the free market continues to give us better devices at cheaper prices. Then consider health care or energy. The free market best determines the correct allocation of resources. Once captured by the government, it's resources have to be siphoned off to feed the beast. Just another form of taxation.

Industry does need some oversight. It's not like they'll always do the right thing, although industry will find good solutions and execute them 100X faster and better than government ever will.

On the other hand, government wastes beaucoup resources, and it needs both oversight and major cutbacks.

I knew it would happen.
    The best example is probably the proposed mileage taxes that require GPS tracking to administer. This is because owners of fuel efficient cars are allegedly no longer paying enough taxes. But I thought the whole point was to encourage "environmentally friendly" practices and promote use of hybrids and electric vehicles. The reality seems to be that they want the ability to track and monitor the whereabouts of anyone, with the extra tax revenue as an added bonus.

<< <i>The best example is probably the proposed mileage taxes that require GPS tracking to administer. This is because owners of fuel efficient cars are allegedly no longer paying enough taxes. But I thought the whole point was to encourage "environmentally friendly" practices and promote use of hybrids and electric vehicles. The reality seems to be that they want the ability to track and monitor the whereabouts of anyone, with the extra tax revenue as an added bonus. >>

The effort to require automobile GPS tracking most likely has nothing to do with mileage taxes. "Use" taxes are already collected at the pump on every gallon purchased. If those taxes become not enough because of fuel efficiency why not just simply raise them. There is most likely a hidden agenda with GPS in automobiles and it is probably similar to the need for GPS in cellular phones.

US dumps rest of its stock, GM bailout ends up costing taxpayers $10.5 billion

did ya see that on any of the bootlicker news shows?

<< <i>US dumps rest of its stock, GM bailout ends up costing taxpayers $10.5 billion

did ya see that on any of the bootlicker news shows? >>

The media should talk about this a the cost to save union jobs.

<< <i>

<< <i>US dumps rest of its stock, GM bailout ends up costing taxpayers $10.5 billion

did ya see that on any of the bootlicker news shows? >>

The media should talk about this a the cost to save union jobs. >>

If sales and production can't save jobs then they should disappear. Government can best save jobs by staying out of the markets.

Letting the market best determine where to allocate resources will also save taxpayer money. "Malinvestment" is a result of sticking noses where they don't belong.

If sales and production can't save jobs then they should disappear. Government can best save jobs by staying out of the markets.

Bingo! We have a winner.

I knew it would happen.
    They used to claim the yuan was undervalued. Now it is surging to long-time highs. Buy your Chinese goods now!

Yuan at 20-Year High

IF this won't spark a little inflation, maybe this will, as the initiatives pick up steam and spread across the nation:
    Fast Food Workers Across Country Protest Federal Minimum Wage

All I know is that even though I make many multiples of the minimum wage, if they get a $5 wage increase, I will get one too.
    Excellent presentation on the true state of the economy:

In search of a recovery - monkeys dressed up in fancy costumes.

"Right now, today, investors all over the world are confronted by markets that have been dressed up for the amusement of the crew in charge of the ship, and nobody seems to recognize what they are looking at."

To those here who continue to disagree and believe we are in full economic recovery. . .well, I wish you were correct.

Camden, NJ......it's not Baleyville

Another article by Matt Taibbi.