Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who is/was the Omega man??

Any theories from experts here? Haven't heard anything about this for years?? And for those who don't know what I am referring to, it's a term coined for the master counterfeiter who made thousands of fake High relief $20 Saints years ago. A very fascinating story that I haven't seen mentioned in a while.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charlton Heston image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You beat me to starting this thread! Wow, what a mystery! I caught the last 15min of the tv show. I checked the tv listings until 2am and it does not look like the show will air again today. image Neat to see Fred W. On there.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any theories from experts here? Haven't heard anything about this for years?? And for those who don't know what I am referring to, it's a term coined for the master counterfeiter who made thousands of fake High relief $20 Saints years ago. A very fascinating story that I haven't seen mentioned in a while. >>

...aside from a fantastic counterfeiter, i couldn't tell ya. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any of these fakes?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Are the fakes made if gold? How did he make such nearly indistinguishable saints? Inside job?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were 1907 HR DE coins the only ones that he made or were there other rarities as well?

<< <i>Were 1907 HR DE coins the only ones that he made or were there other rarities as well? >>

...great question! best to microscope ALL of them. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of those mysteries that likely will not be solved, unless the individual left a diary somewhere.... Cheers, RickO
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He did $3 gold as well.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

• Signing his own work. Almost as balzy as sending ten 1933 Double Eagles to the mint for authentication and expecting to get them back!!!

imageimage
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Signing his own work. Almost as balzy as sending ten 1933 Double Eagles to the mint for authentication and expecting to get them back!!!

imageimage >>

Not really. He signed his work and yet here we are unable to identify him. We know who at least one of the counterfeiters in China is, and yet he's safe and sound in his own country still issuing his product.

Sending those 1933 Double Eagles to the government with the hope of getting them back borders on stupidity. It would have been to have melted them and collected the $20 grand from the bullion.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sucks getting burned. The ruination of the hobby, the Omega man nearly is.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is/was the Omega man??

D.B. Cooper? image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a pic of the omega mark:

• I heard it was Ben Bernanke!!! image
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer I knew who was the only person I've met who might know, died several years ago. Also, someone like JJF might have known or had suspicions, and he's dead as well. I'm not sure if this is knowledge that would have been passed on.

I'd pay $1,000 for a copy of QDB's personal memoirs where he outs every crook and scam he's ever seen, but every person I know who knows him personally says that this is the one book he'll never write.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I found this information.

Omega Man Counterfeiter
    In the early 1970’s, ANACS (American Numismatic Association Certification Service) noticed an unusually high number of “high relief” coins entering the market. High relief coins are coins that are struck multiple times to produce extremely clear, concise contours. Suspicious that an unusually high quality counterfeiter could be the culprit, they began careful examination of the coins. If it weren’t for a minute “omega” symbol in the claw of the eagle on the coin, they would have never known they were counterfeits.

Like paper money, coins are often counterfeited. In almost all cases, they are very easy to spot, especially by expert coin examiners such as ANACS, using high magnification lenses and microscopic equipment. These counterfeit coins are often molded rather than struck with a press such as those used by United States mints to produce American coinage. The molded varieties always leave tell-tale signs that they are a fake. Bubbles and unusual markings that could not possibly be produced with a coin press are dead giveaways that they are fakes. The Omega coins on the other hand, are indistinguishable from the real thing.

The counterfeiter was dubbed the Omega Man. It is believed that his coins are identical to the real thing except for the omega symbol that he arrogantly leaves as his trademark. The symbol is not visible to the naked high and can only be seen under high magnifcation. In most cases the omega symbol was placed near the eagle's claw on the back of the coin but in at least two cases the symbol was placed within the upper loop of the "R" in the word "liberty" on the front of the coin.

It is believed that the Omega Man has created over 20,000 fake 1907 ultra high-relief United States $20 gold Double Eagle coins worth well over $300 million dollars. His forgeries are of such a high quality that collectors will pay in excess of $1,000 for a single counterfeit coin (the real coins retail for nearly $100,000).

The Omega man also counterfeit other US coins including a large quantity of $3 gold pieces, dated 1874, 1878, and 1882 (with the 1882 version being the most prevelent). He is also counterfeited $10 gold pieces, the 1913-P and 1926-P, both of which have the “Omega” placed upside down within the upper loop of the “R” in “Liberty” in the Indian’s headdress.

The identity of the Omega Man is still unknown.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Charlton Heston image >>

Hmmm always think of him as Mosesimage

<< <i>Here's a pic of the omega mark:

image >>

...that's an excellent pic, chris. image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

maybe thats why he had us fooled all this time

• << <i>

image >>

I'll never forget Robin Williams referring to C. Heston in a stand up bit as "Guns and Moses".

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Daniel Carr? image
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • The true "Omega Man' (in film) was Vincent Price "The Last Man on Earth" - Heston...ugh...when has Tony Zerbe scared anyone? (Zerbe/21 Proofs/coin related) image

Read the book.

Eric
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While doing some research I came across the post below. It contains some misinformation. This is what I read in an article by the authenticator who detected them. I have made corrections in (CAPS):

[Quote] Omega Man Counterfeiter

In the early 1970’s, ANACS (American Numismatic Association Certification Service) noticed an unusually high number of “high relief” coins entering the market. (NOT TRUE, one or two were sent to ANACS after the DC ANA.) High relief coins are coins that are struck multiple times to produce extremely clear, concise contours. Suspicious that an unusually high quality counterfeiter could be the culprit, they began careful examination of the coins. If it weren’t for a minute “omega” symbol in the claw of the eagle on the coin, they would have never known they were counterfeits.(ALSO NOT TRUE, although the first coin sent had an unusual toning it sat around for a while as a no decision. When a second came in they both sat around and were put on the back burner and worked on as time permitted.)

Like paper money, coins are often counterfeited. In almost all cases, they are very easy to spot, especially by expert coin examiners such as ANACS, using high magnification lenses and microscopic equipment. These counterfeit coins are often molded rather than struck with a press such as those used by United States mints to produce American coinage. The molded varieties always leave tell-tale signs that they are a fake. Bubbles and unusual markings that could not possibly be produced with a coin press are dead giveaways that they are fakes. The Omega coins on the other hand, are indistinguishable from the real thing. (TRUE, at the time these coins were far ahead in quality than any counterfeits in the market.)

The counterfeiter was dubbed the Omega Man. It is believed that his coins are identical to the real thing (NOT TRUE, these coins were finally declared counterfeit when the authenticator raised the power of his scope and detected defects he had never seen on a genuine US mint coin! He described the defects as intertwined microscopic worms - wormy tool marks - that resulted when the fakers touched up defects on the die.) were finally except for the omega symbol (The Omega was named by Charles Hoskins ANACS director when the authenticator pointed out that both specimens had what appeared to be a "lint mark" inside the claw.) that he arrogantly leaves as his trademark. The symbol is not visible to the naked high and can only be seen under high magnifcation. In (ALL CASES) most cases the omega symbol was placed near the eagle's claw on the back of the coin but in at least two cases ($3 gold) the symbol was placed within the upper loop of the "R" in the word "liberty" on the front of the coin.

It is believed that the Omega Man has created over 20,000 fake 1907 ultra high-relief United States $20 gold Double Eagle coins worth well over $300 million dollars. His forgeries are of such a high quality that collectors will pay in excess of $1,000 for a single counterfeit coin (the real coins retail for nearly $100,000).

The Omega man also counterfeit other US coins including a large quantity of $3 gold pieces, dated 1874, 1878, and 1882 (with the 1882 version being the most prevelent). He is also counterfeited $10 gold pieces, the 1913-P and 1926-P, both of which have the “Omega” placed upside down within the upper loop of the “R” in “Liberty” in the Indian’s headdress. (NUTS! the mark in the "R" is a hub mark found on $10 Indians.)

The identity of the Omega Man is still unknown. [/Quote] (TRUE)

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The identity of Omega is one of the greatest mysteries in numismatics and I suspect it will never be solved.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Omega Man Counterfeiter

Wow, didn't know that many were produced.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still a mystery... although someone must know the answer. Of course the old adage applies here...'Two can keep a secret if one is dead.'.....Cheers, RickO
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Insider2

While doing some research I came across the post below. It contains some misinformation. This is what I read in an article by the authenticator who detected them. I have made corrections in (CAPS):

In the early 1970’s, ANACS (American Numismatic Association Certification Service) noticed an unusually high number of “high relief” coins entering the market. (NOT TRUE, one or two were sent to ANACS after the DC ANA.) High relief coins are coins that are struck multiple times to produce extremely clear, concise contours. Suspicious that an unusually high quality counterfeiter could be the culprit, they began careful examination of the coins. If it weren’t for a minute “omega” symbol in the claw of the eagle on the coin, they would have never known they were counterfeits.(ALSO NOT TRUE, although the first coin sent had an unusual toning it sat around for a while as a no decision. When a second came in they both sat around and were put on the back burner and worked on as time permitted.)

Like paper money, coins are often counterfeited. In almost all cases, they are very easy to spot, especially by expert coin examiners such as ANACS, using high magnification lenses and microscopic equipment. These counterfeit coins are often molded rather than struck with a press such as those used by United States mints to produce American coinage. The molded varieties always leave tell-tale signs that they are a fake. Bubbles and unusual markings that could not possibly be produced with a coin press are dead giveaways that they are fakes. The Omega coins on the other hand, are indistinguishable from the real thing. (TRUE, at the time these coins were far ahead in quality than any counterfeits in the market.)

The counterfeiter was dubbed the Omega Man. It is believed that his coins are identical to the real thing (NOT TRUE, these coins were finally declared counterfeit when the authenticator raised the power of his scope and detected defects he had never seen on a genuine US mint coin! He described the defects as intertwined microscopic worms - wormy tool marks - that resulted when the fakers touched up defects on the die.) were finally except for the omega symbol (The Omega was named by Charles Hoskins ANACS director when the authenticator pointed out that both specimens had what appeared to be a "lint mark" inside the claw.) that he arrogantly leaves as his trademark. The symbol is not visible to the naked high and can only be seen under high magnifcation. In (ALL CASES) most cases the omega symbol was placed near the eagle's claw on the back of the coin but in at least two cases ($3 gold) the symbol was placed within the upper loop of the "R" in the word "liberty" on the front of the coin.

The Omega man also counterfeit other US coins including a large quantity of $3 gold pieces, dated 1874, 1878, and 1882 (with the 1882 version being the most prevelent). He is also counterfeited $10 gold pieces, the 1913-P and 1926-P, both of which have the “Omega” placed upside down within the upper loop of the “R” in “Liberty” in the Indian’s headdress. (NUTS! the mark in the "R" is a hub mark found on $10 Indians.)

When quoting a person it is polite to quote him or her by name.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Originally posted by: Zoins

Originally posted by: Omega Man Counterfeiter

Wow, didn't know that many were produced.

This is probably BS put into numismatic history by the producers of a TV show!
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Originally posted by: Insider2

When quoting a person it is polite to quote him or her by name.

Thanks Capt. Okay, I did not wish to embarrass anyone here so to be polite:

123Cents posted the above misinformation he found on the Internet.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes...always cite your sources, otherwise it's not creditable or as my instructors used to say...it's plagiarism.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file