Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2012 Topps Heritage thread

Comments

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I've got two cases coming, so i hope to be ripping this time next week. Will be happy to trade with any and all....whoever's left. All my chromes, relics, and black refs are for trade. Anyone needing to get the ball rolling early, let me know, got lots leftover from prior years.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Ripping one case, putting together the master set and probably the stickers. Probably will move the other stuff.

Will trade for SPs that i need as well as Needed Promo's from past years releases
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I will only be putting together one set this year. I hope..
  • Options
    I will be ripping one hobby case and one blaster case this year. Only looking for blue ink autos from any year (no minor league) so everything else will be available to trade (for blue ink autos. image )

It seems that every year here lately that we always have a retail sighting before Heritage hits the hobby stores. My prediction is that my local Wal-Mart will have it in stock this Tuesday. Topps has confirmed that there are no delays so this is the most likely scenario. Sure wish Topps could have legally done some type of Pete Rose promotion. Oh well!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Hey there,

Doubt you guys remember me from last year, but I will be looking for one and only one card from the set again this year...

1963 Topps #234 Dave Nicholson stamped buyback

In a year, I still have never seen a single copy of the 1962 high# buyback. I firmly believe that topps is full of it when they say that they buy back every card from the set.

Oh well, this year is a common, so they should be plentiful...image
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    I also have one case coming. I paid $585 for it months ago...so I'm not sure if I'm ripping or selling it. Either way, putting a master set together and selling off everything else.
  • Options
    Hello all,

I'm new here (although I posted a few messages in the '08 thread back then) and I'll be opening a case of Heritage again this year. Last time was in '08 but the baseballcard bug bit me again..image I hope to get as close to a master set as possible, only came one card short in '08.

Although I live on the other side of the pond (The Netherlands) I hope that I can help others with completing their sets and hopefully others will be able to help me too.

GOOD LUCK to you all this year and I'll be posting results of my boxes as soon as I busted them.

Richard
  • Options

<< <i>I also have one case coming. I paid $585 for it months ago...so I'm not sure if I'm ripping or selling it. Either way, putting a master set together and selling off everything else. >>

Awesome price! Just checked the completed listings on Ebay and people were even paying as low as $510-$515 a case halfway January (shipping included). Does anyone know what the buying price is for a Heritage case for shop-owners? Can't be that much of a profit with these selling prices... Good news for buyers though...image

Richard
  • Options
    Hey Richard...it seems like they are going for at least over $800 right now from what I've seen....

Actually...I just read your question more carefully...not sure what dealers were paying.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Richard...it seems like they are going for at least over $800 right now from what I've seen.... >>

Hi! Asking prices are $800-$850 now... I'm glad the dealer who sold me my case in '08 wanted to sell me a 2012 one yesterday for $725 plus $75 postage. I'm pretty happy with the price. Must remember thought to buy earlier next time though...

BTW Beckett posted some new 2012 Heritage pics on their website yesterday, cards look so beautiful this year again!!

Richard
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also have one case coming. I paid $585 for it months ago...so I'm not sure if I'm ripping or selling it. Either way, putting a master set together and selling off everything else. >>

Hobby or Retail, sounds low for Hobby....
  • Options
    I wouldn't trust the pre-sells at that low price. lots of people have gotten burned in the past on that....as always make sure its someone you trust.

my local guy can get me hobby cases for $690 dlvd. I think his buy prices on dealernet are in the 625 range. I think the buy prices direct from topps distribution channels is more than the 500 price you saw on ebay, thats why i don't trust people delivering on those prices.
  • Options
    Hobby...and that's nice thing about being on the buying end on eBay I guess...if the seller doesn't deliver...no harm. I get my money back. And if he does...I get a case super cheap.

The seller has 100% feedback and has over 1200 feedback...so I wasn't too worried.

It was also an auction...he sold some for near 800...and some for the price I got.
  • Options
    There is no way I'd trust that seller pre selling Heritage cases. Have you seen how many cases he has pre sold? It is obvious to me that while his feedback is great, he seems to be positioning himself to leave the country or something. Just my opinion and I could be wrong but that is what it has me thinking!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    As long as the eBay purchase is within the last 45 days, it shouldnt be an issue getting a refund
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Awesome price! Just checked the completed listings on Ebay and people were even paying as low as $510-$515 a case halfway January (shipping included). Does anyone know what the buying price is for a Heritage case for shop-owners? Can't be that much of a profit with these selling prices... Good news for buyers though...image

I'm one of of those guys that good a great price, but now am worried I will get it at all. So where have all the cases gone?
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome price! Just checked the completed listings on Ebay and people were even paying as low as $510-$515 a case halfway January (shipping included). Does anyone know what the buying price is for a Heritage case for shop-owners? Can't be that much of a profit with these selling prices... Good news for buyers though...image

I'm one of of those guys that good a great price, but now am worried I will get it at all. So where have all the cases gone? >>

people run scams in all aspects of life. it's easy for anyone to pre-sell anything on eBay and then ... poof ... dissapear
  • Options
    Some people will get their money back but I feel sorry for those who pre-bought their cases more than 45 days ago from this particular seller. I predict that there will be several people upset because they thought that they were going to get such a great deal. I also predict that demand will go up for cases once these people realize that they have zero Heritage coming their way.

Craig from Texas
  • Options

<< <i>Hobby...and that's nice thing about being on the buying end on eBay I guess...if the seller doesn't deliver...no harm. I get my money back. And if he does...I get a case super cheap.

The seller has 100% feedback and has over 1200 feedback...so I wasn't too worried.

It was also an auction...he sold some for near 800...and some for the price I got. >>

Well, not exactly; paypal will only rteimburse up to 60 days, so if you bought in early Jan, your 60 days are up! All you have left is ebays wonderful negoitiating program to settle the issue.
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options
    When buying cases, buying from someone you trust is always worth spending more imo.

Kind of like buying wax from Steve.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    This is a cautionary tale about buying wax from non-established dealers (i.e. someone with a storefront or a Dave and Adam's/Blowout/etc.):

About 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, there was a seller on eBay named "mama_bear**" Mama_bear** was blowing out cases of all of the newest wax at ridiculous prices, many times well below factory cost. Both collectors and dealers scratched their heads, trying to figure out when the house of cards would collapse and why it kept going on. At the beginning, people received their merchandise... but as you can see, at the end, mama_bear** eventually racked up a large amount of sales that they never fulfilled and tried to run off with the money.

This is mama_bear**'s eBay feedback. Toolhaus reports 147 neutrals and negatives in their eBay career before they were NARUed.

This is a post-mortem on another message board. There are some alternate theories to the scam theory, take from them what you will.

I'm not trying to knock buying wax on eBay, as the vast majority of the sales are probably successfully completed. However, there are some that are not, so you need to buy cautiously and always be sure to use a credit card when paying for a pre-sell on eBay because the credit card protection will last longer than the Paypal protection.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    If I don't get it....I'll take the refund and be on my way. It's a win-win in my book. My purchase was on 1/31...so I'll be well within the 60 day Paypal limit.

He's been a seller since 1999...maybe this is the Mom & Pop episode of Seinfeld...who knows.

He's pre-selling Gypsy Queen now...so it doesn't look like he's closing up shop after the Heritage release.

We will see I guess. I did use a credit card for the purchase as well.
  • Options
    Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me.

Craig from Texas
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me.

Craig from Texas >>

Craig, your not helping...
    Yikes, I'm screwed...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options
    I hope I'm on the front end of it...let the Gypsy Queens take the gaspipe.
  • Options
    Maybe you guys will be alright, i hope so. But let me add another cautionary tale: I bought pre-sells from LRCards 3 years ago. Now they weren't particularly cheep (675) and he was a well-reputed dealer at the time but we all know how that went - he went belly-up. Not truly a ponzi scheme, and I did just about 2 months ago get my money back because i joined in the bankruptcy case. But he got in the cycle of pre-selling product A to get cash to keep the business afloat, then presell product B, to keep the cash flowing in even more. A giant shell game i think.

Anyhow whenever i talk to my local dealer and he sees prices in the low 500s, he is convinced those must either be "fallen off a truck somewhere" or someone is scamming, because thats below the distribution costs. Now given this is an auction, maybe its ok.
  • Options
    When I bid on my case, I put a max bid of $650. I was somewhat surprised I won it at such a low price.
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options
    Hi hope we all get our cases...

About Heritage, does anyone know if Topps released a 2012 checklist recently or is the October one the most up-date-date?

Greetings,

Richard in The Netherlands
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I too bought several cases from LRCards. Luckily I paid with a credit card (via paypal). It was out of the 60 days so paypal wouldn't cover it, but my credit card (citibank) refunded the purchase in full within a couple of weeks. Always use a credit card through paypal when making a large purchase! That way you should be covered for 6 or 12 months usually, depending on your card.
  • Options
    Wow, I had forgotten about LR Cards. I had good success with him back in 2006 and 2007 (I think), and luckily I didn't buy anything from him in 2008 after he stopped replying to emails asking about pricing.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    It looks like topps is going to keep us in the dark on content up until the product hits. I wouldn't be surprised if the first time we see the definite checklist will be when
    the first packs are opened.

Keep in mind beckett has already opened this product so it is made, topps just doesn't want to tell us whats in it (or whats NOT in it).hmmm
  • Options
    Walt,

I have tried, practically begged, Topps and other authorities to offer a little nugget or gem on 2012 Topps Heritage. They are being tight lipped on the subject. In my opinion, this years product will either be exceptional or it will bomb. I don't think it will be in the middle at all.
    Meanwhile, I'll be checking the retail outlets this weekend as I have a hunch that we will have a sighting soon! Can't wait to analyze the odds so if anyone finds it first, please post a picture of the wrapper. Thanks!!!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Craig, that brings up an interesting point. How would you guys rank each year of Heritage?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    checked my Target today, none yet
  • Options
    2001 is obviously to me the best year because it provided the best value, best autographs, and because it was patterned after the most sought after Topps set of all time. As the years continued, Heritage slowly became more and more watered down. The value per box kept diminishing. For me, the low point was 2009. The autograph selection was very weak that year. 2010 and 2011 were OK but I felt thd product could have been better value wise. Hitting a Koufax or Aaron auto would have been nice but those autos were shortprinted. Don't know why I think 2012 will be a better year. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part. :0)

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Ordered mine today. Kind of an odd tale. Went to Dave and Adams and didnt see any on the site. I called the number and request an order and they said the presale sold out and they would offer more on release day. I asked "So you won't sell me 2012 Heriage right now?" The reply was "No". I bought from Blowout.
  • Options
    Josephcb09Josephcb09 Posts: 286 ✭✭
    My top 5 Heritage releases:

1. 2001
    2. 2005
    3. 2011
    4. 2002
    5. 2010
  • Options
    TOP 5 Heritage (skewed because i collect the blue autos):

1. 2005 - photography unmatched, decent autos (aaron, yogi, banks, feller, snider)
    2. 2003 - great autos (aaron, kaline and banks RC's!!!, mays, yogi, snider, rizzuto, irvin, ford, rizzuto)
    3. 2001 - iconic set, great autos (mays, rizzuto, snider) - great chrome set.
    4. 2002 - no less than 11 HOF autos including mays, ford, spahn, yogi, underrated and very tough chrome set
    5. 2011 - photography pretty weak, but not as bad as 08/09, great autos (hank and koufax)
  • Options
    I only bought '08 since I liked the design. Didn't like the fact they did a high-series and that kind of cooled down my enthousiasm for Heritage. But now is 2012 and hopefully no more high-series (and stamps and baseball dollars for that matter) this year!

BTW I was pretty happy with my '08 case. Best three cards were;
    #1: Clubhouse Collection Relic auto of Bob Gibson (05/25)
    #2: Bill Mazeroski auto (21/25)
    #3: Mickey Mantle Stadium seat relic

Does anyone like to share what their overall top three cards are that they have pulled out of heritage in the past, really like to know!!

Enjoy your weekend, just a few more days..image

Richard
  • Options
    Here are my Top 5 Topps Heritage pulls of all time. Sorry, I can not do just three! image

#5) 2008 Topps Heritage Real One Dual Autograph Al Kaline/Curtis Granderson SOLD $199.85

#4) 2011 Topps Heritage Real One Dual Autograph Stephen Strasburg/Bob Gibson SOLD $239.50

#3) 2011 Topps Heritage Flashback Autographed Relic Brooks Robinson 04/25 SOLD $241.35

#2) 2009 Topps Heritage #58 Conor Jackson SSP Variation SOLD $255.00

#1) 2008 Topps Heritage Chrome #C285 Jerry Hairston 0103/1959 SOLD $305.09

I am sure some of you are probably wondering about my number one pull. That particular card, although numbered to 1959, had some type of production problem and only a few made their way into packs.

For a list of ALL of my great pulls that I have pulled myself since 2006, including one pull that helped pay for my wife's wedding ring, look here:

MY Hall of Fame Page

Thank you for checking it out -- I am off to Wal-Mart (yes I am addicted to Heritage since I know it will not be there today).

Later!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    Craig,
    I really like the HOF page of best pulls. I wish I had thought to do that back when I started getting back into cards in 2000.
    Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    Thanks Robb! I wish I had started back in 1976! I just thought in 2006 that it would be something neat to do. It is interesting to see what some of my cards sold for. My all time best pull was in 1999-2000. I opened a box of 1999-00 Upper Deck Retro basketball, which was the last time I ever opened basketball, and pulled a Michael Jordan gold autograph redemption card numbered to 23. Sold it to a private collector in Arkansas for $7,115! image

Off to go find some Heritage -- c'mon Topps -- release it already! I need something to do this weekend! image

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Awesome cards Craig! $3k+ on the A&G Strasburg, nice..image

Richard
  • Options
    86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Heritage Addicts-- My best pull is nothing like those previously mentioned, but I do remember my first encounter with Heritage back in 01.
    I had really not put sets together in a long while due to the saturation of the market. For some reason, I went into a "hole in the wall"
    store of a man who bought and sold coins, and had some cards. On the counter laid an 01 Heritage Griffey. I recognized the '52 format
    immediately, and asked about it. He said that Topps had come out with a new series called Heritage, and were modeled after the 52's, and he had a couple of boxes in the back. He also shared about how chrome and autos. were included. Anyway, I bought one box,(wish I could
    remember how much it was). I also offered him a quarter for the Griffey, but he declined. In the absolute very first pack I opened about
    half way down, was a blue auto. of Pafko. Well I was hooked. The odds of doing that were next to impossible. That Pafko card now
    resides with the 23 other retired autos. in my friend's collection in Florida. An amazing set. At that time, there were only about 3 or 4 of
    us on this site for Heritage. This is by far the best place to buy, and or trade Heritage. In all the years on here, I NEVER had any
    problem with anyone. Also, the best source for information. Craig in Ohio
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I checked Target this morning and shelves are bare.

They usually have about 100 basters but down to around 25 or 30.

They should have delivery soon with Heritage hopefully.

Joe
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing Craig in Ohio!

I saw some previews of 2012 Topps Heritage and noticed that Yastrzemski signed at least 25 dual autos along with Adrian Gonzalez. I hope he signed some blue Real Ones and red Special Editions as well. I know his signature is not the cleanest looking signature but I have wanted him to be part of the Heritage autograph line up for a long time.

Still no sight of Heritage anywhere. Maybe tomorrow?

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    somewhere on the boards in the archives you can find the original 2001 thread. I actually though it looked terrible when I first opened it, but then I pulled my first
    autograph and saw the beauty of the original and I was hooked much like Craig. I also bought a few of the key cards from Craig back in the day. We have traded
    every year for 12 years now, and I was happy to locate the last 2002 chrome card he needed to complete his heritage chrome set, I do believe Craig has an entire
    run of them. More importantly he has been a great guy to get to know and trade with. I can also attest that if you are looking for a place to trade heritage or to
    learn about heritage this is the place. Ill admit we are a bit skeptical this year because topps has screwed us in the past, but when the product hits and people
    start posting scans, it will pick up. I would like to think that my heritage autograph collection is one of the better ones out there, but I can say that there are a few
    collectors here with some amazing sets, including a run of black chromes which are very hard to find.

Here is a list of some of my biggest pulls over the years, some money-wise, some memory-wise.

1) 01 Gil McDougald AU The card that got me hooked. The ROY in 51 was a Yankee and it wasn't Mantle! Just a beautiful set with a ton of big names.
    2) 08 Mantle/Brooks Robinson Dual Seat Card /10 Still the rarest heritage card I own and have pulled. I figure topps inserted maybe one of the 10 of
    these cards into all of retail packs.
    3) 01/02 Alex Rodriguez Two amazing pulls again from retail pulled almost a year from the day. Considering the autographs in 01 were easy to pack search makes
    the 2001 pull even more amazing.
    4) 05 Don Newcombe AU The best birthday present a long time heritage fan could get....found retail heritage on my birthday, pulled the Newcombe sitting on a bench around
    midnight.
    5) 07 Luis Aparicio Clubhouse Collection Auto Bat 11/25 Long time heritage collectors will agree that a pull like this is huge, these cards are very hard to pull. Again pulled
    from a wal mart pack, it is numbered to his jersey #11. Way cool.
    6) 11 Arod SSP After opening a ton of boxes last year I was disappointed in the outcome, but after someone here posted an early finding of SSP, one of them the Arod
    I had discovered that I had hit one. I posted it on ebay with a stupidly high BIN and it was hit by Keith Olbermann. Sold for 400
    7) 08 Joba/Amaris Ramirez dual autograph Actually not a dual autograph but two cards stuck together! Back in 08 Joba was hot so that was a nice extra.
    8) 04 Pujols/Musial dual GU Another great retail pull. I have thought of selling it many times, but it is still in my collection.
    9) 03 Tommy Lasorda Another retail pull, one of my favorite heritage autographs from the beautiful 03 set. Lasorda doesn't have many certified autographs.
    10) Ill save this spot for the future!

Waalt
  • Options
    i'll post a pic of my office wall later on....I have every heritage hof'er blue ink autograph (minus 3: 01 slaughter, 01 roberts, and 03 rizzuto....my white whale).

My best pulls?

2. 03 mays blue ink auto
    1. 02 mays relic auto #3/25

i can't remember any others right now!
  • Options
    Walt-

Is blue ink easier to find than red? I thought the red was # and the blue was not. Curious why the blue ink seems more popular. Is it because red has a tendency to fade more than blue?
  • Options
    blue is always less rare - usually around 100-200 copies. red is usually hand #d to 52-62, depending on the heritage year. 2010 marichal's were ALL red, so probably 100-200 of those out there (or more?) but no blues, and no #d of marichal.

I like the blue just because its less costly and it does show up better on the card.