Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football-Bowl Predictions?

Comments

• Options
    I agree. The SEC teams all schedule a patsie or two. You'd be stupid not to do it. A team like Mississippi State knows that it will need six wins to get into a bowl, and that's not happening in the SEC. So, they need some games against Conference USA, Mountain West, etc. But if you want to be considered for a National Championship, you have to put at least one and maybe two tough games on the schedule in addition to the conference games. For example, if Boise State could have scheduled another tough game in addition to the Georgia game, they might have been higher in the BCS standings when they were undefeated. Heck, why not a game in the Big House against Michigan? A big payday for the Broncos, and a chance to beat a big boy in their house. But, I don't think the Big Ten schools want to risk it. At least not most of them. If OSU hires Urban Meyer, the first thing they ought to do is schedule a four year home and home series with the Gators. Ohio and the rest of the Big Ten schools have a ton of talent in their areas. I know they can compete. They just need to be willing to risk a bad loss here and there and take a chance. Michigan plays Bama next year. I'd love to see a Big Ten-SEC showdown. Heck, I'd love to see the Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 get in on it too. Take those schools and leave three open weeks at the beginning of the season and let them beat up on each other. No Tennessee Martins or Fresno States. Just the big boys taking each other down before conference play gets started.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can only go by what I see and what I read. The 2011 current strength of schedule rankings place Bama and LSU at 1 and 2 in difficulty. The only Big Ten team in the Top 25 is Nebraska at #20. Wisconsin is at #49. South Carolina is #22. Not my numbers. These are the real numbers. The Power Rankings show Michigan State as the best team in the Big Ten, slightly behind South Carolina. Not my opinion, just the opinions of experts and computers. So, I reiterate, if the Big Ten wants to be taken seriously, they must play challenging games outside of their conference. For Wisconsin, their most challenging non-conference game was Northern Illinois. For South Carolina, it will be against Clemson. Clemson vs Northern Illinois. Do we see a disparity there? Michigan State got hammered by Notre Dame in its biggest non-conference game. Other than that they won against Youngstown State, Florida Atlantic, and Central Michigan. Again, I give Ohio State credit. They at least went on the road to take on Miami. Although, my guess is that when they scheduled it, they thought it was Miami of Ohio... >>

Real numbers? What real numbers? Teamrankings.com? FWIW the website I'm almost certain you are quoting above also has Indiana at 37, Georgia at 57 and Arkansas at 24. Also, that very same service has the Big 12 as number 1 and the SEC as number 2 for Conference SOS Power Rankings. Not my opinion but that of the same source you used in your illustration. This service also does not factor in the non FBS games that both Alabama and LSU played. (Georgia Southern and Northwestern State). It just acts like it never happened so SOS Power Ranking is not diminished. Teamrankings.com is not hardly the definitive source or the official numbers. I do like the service just the same. It's just one of many.

I like following the CCR. It's a pretty interesting matrix. The strength of schedule ranking is determined by averaging the power ratings of every opponent on a team's schedule.

Currently the SOS only from this computer rating service has the teams dicussed in this thread at:

South Carolina 50
    Georgia 42
    LSU 12
    Alabama 39
    Arkansas 15
    Michigan 25
    Michigan State 51
    Wisconsin 68

The CCR (Congrove) is one of several computer services used in determining the BCS ratings.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have the Wolverines go into Gainesville and beat the Gators. >>

That's hysterical. I guarantee you Brady Hoke would agree to that in a heartbeat - if Florida would come up to Ann Arbor as part of a home & home.. But, since Florida hasn't played an OOC game outside the state of Florida in something like TWENTY YEARS, that ain't happening.

Besides, the last time Michigan played Florida, it was in Florida (Capital One Bowl) and the Gators w/Tim Tebow went down to defeat*.

As for Wisconsin being 5th best in the SEC, that's a joke. Are they better than Bama and LSU? No. But they at least as good as Georgia and probably Arkansas as well.

Tabe

* - I do agree that Michigan's OOC schedule the last few years has been very weak. I would love for them to set something up with Boise State or maybe USC.
  • Options
    Perhaps. But we will never know since they have played nobody.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Have the Wolverines go into Gainesville and beat the Gators. >>

That's hysterical. I guarantee you Brady Hoke would agree to that in a heartbeat - if Florida would come up to Ann Arbor as part of a home & home.. But, since Florida hasn't played an OOC game outside the state of Florida in something like TWENTY YEARS, that ain't happening.

Besides, the last time Michigan played Florida, it was in Florida (Capital One Bowl) and the Gators w/Tim Tebow went down to defeat*.

As for Wisconsin being 5th best in the SEC, that's a joke. Are they better than Bama and LSU? No. But they at least as good as Georgia and probably Arkansas as well.

Tabe

* - I do agree that Michigan's OOC schedule the last few years has been very weak. I would love for them to set something up with Boise State or maybe USC. >>

Tabe- Are you serious? Go look at how Georgia has fared in bowl games against the Big10. Georgia routinely plays Wisconsin, Mich State etc. in Capital One and Outback bowls. Its been complete and total domination by Georgia.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Georgia would beat any team in the Big Ten at a neutral site at least 7 out of 10 times. Maybe more.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Georgia would beat any team in the Big Ten at a neutral site at least 7 out of 10 times. Maybe more. >>

I highly doubt it, but don't choose to deal much in speculation. You claim Wisky hasn't beaten anybody and I simply say that neither has Georgia. There's no reason for me to believe they're any better than any of the top 5 teams in the Big 10.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Georgia would beat any team in the Big Ten at a neutral site at least 7 out of 10 times. Maybe more. >>

I highly doubt it, but don't choose to deal much in speculation. You claim Wisky hasn't beaten anybody and I simply say that neither has Georgia. There's no reason for me to believe they're any better than any of the top 5 teams in the Big 10. >>

The only one dealing in speculation is YOU. Despite the fact that the Big10 has fared extremely poorly against UGA and other SEC teams, you still want to make the claim that Wisconsin etc. are better?? Let's deal in facts. These are Georgia's last 5 games against the Big10:

1) UGA 24 - Michigan State 12
    2) UGA 24 - Wisconsin -21
    3) UGA 34- Purdue 27
    4) UGA 28- Purdue 25
    5) UGA 33- Wisconsin 6

For those of you keeping score at home, thats 5-0.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Even if LSU loses to Georgia, they still play in the national championship game.

Alabama beats Auburn on Saturday to set up the rematch.

I am one of the few who is really looking forward to an Alabama-LSU rematch. The only thing
    is what happens if an unbeaten LSU loses to Bama in overtime in the championship game. That would be interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>Even if LSU loses to Georgia, they still play in the national championship game.

Alabama beats Auburn on Saturday to set up the rematch.

I am one of the few who is really looking forward to an Alabama-LSU rematch. The only thing
    is what happens if an unbeaten LSU loses to Bama in overtime in the championship game. That would be interesting. >>

That would be interesting. But there can only be 1 champion and this is the system we have. I personally think that OK State is going to jump Bama in the polls if they beat Oklahoma, but we'll see. Auburn is so terrible this year, that it will work against Alabama even if they pummel Auburn. OK State has a shot against a much better opponent to finish the season and make a big statement.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should Wisconsin loose to either Penn State or Michigan State, looks as if Wisconsin will likely be line in to play a SEC team in a bowl game

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I highly doubt it, but don't choose to deal much in speculation. You claim Wisky hasn't beaten anybody and I simply say that neither has Georgia. There's no reason for me to believe they're any better than any of the top 5 teams in the Big 10. >>

The only one dealing in speculation is YOU. Despite the fact that the Big10 has fared extremely poorly against UGA and other SEC teams, you still want to make the claim that Wisconsin etc. are better?? Let's deal in facts. These are Georgia's last 5 games against the Big10:

1) UGA 24 - Michigan State 12
    2) UGA 24 - Wisconsin -21
    3) UGA 34- Purdue 27
    4) UGA 28- Purdue 25
    5) UGA 33- Wisconsin 6

For those of you keeping score at home, thats 5-0. >>

Ummm, deal in the past much? I believe the conversation was about this years teams, not past ones. Georgia beating MSU 3-4are years ago means nothing with a match-up they may have today.
  • Options
    Tabe- I agree, some of those games are old. But what else do you have to go by?

• Options
    I'd really like to see an SEC-Big 10 matchup. First game of the season, just match them up based upon the prior year's standings. Home and home. Obviously, the now bigger SEC would not match exactly, but it could be done. Match the LSU-Ga winner against whoever wins the Big Ten. Match Minnesota and Indiana against Ole Miss and Vanderbilt. The Big Ten would probably win a few games. It would force the Big Ten teams to match up against their SEC counterparts, which in the long run would make them stronger. If all of the BCS conferences would join in, and do it for 3 weeks or so, it would force teams to play legitimate opponents. I'm a huge SEC fan, but I'd love to see Clemson, Florida State, Va Tech, OSU, Wisconsin, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc on LSU's schedule over a 4-5 year span. And at the same time, if the Big Ten folks want to talk about their conference, if their best were to beat the other conferences on a regular basis it would really give them some respectability.
  • Options

<< <i>I think we still have lots to learn yet about Arkansas and especially Georgia. U of G lost both of their games at home to the best teams on their schedule up to this point. Their SOS is at best 42nd in the nation to this point.

Arkansas has home wins against Troy, Missouri State, New Mexico and Tennessee. They have road wins against Vanderbilt and Mississippi. They have only played three road games the entire season and were stomped by Alabama in one of them. There real quality win at home was against South Carolina. They also beat a decent Texas A&M team and Auburn team at home. I'm anxious to see them play LSU. Maybe they are really good, even great.

MJ >>

What did I learn today?

Arkansas is only good. They could be anywhere from number #5 to number to #15 good. Their resume is left wanting.

Man, LSU is impressive..........Jefferson played great. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tabe- Are you serious? Go look at how Georgia has fared in bowl games against the Big10. Georgia routinely plays Wisconsin, Mich State etc. in Capital One and Outback bowls. Its been complete and total domination by Georgia. >>

Well, we could go by Georgia losing to Central Florida in a bowl game LAST YEAR as opposed to them beating a Big Ten team 8 years ago when none of the current players were even close to being around.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tabe- Are you serious? Go look at how Georgia has fared in bowl games against the Big10. Georgia routinely plays Wisconsin, Mich State etc. in Capital One and Outback bowls. Its been complete and total domination by Georgia. >>

Well, we could go by Georgia losing to Central Florida in a bowl game LAST YEAR as opposed to them beating a Big Ten team 8 years ago when none of the current players were even close to being around.

Tabe >>

Well...if Central Florida was in the Big 10, you'd have a point. LOL..

• Options
    Florida-Florida State made my eyes bleed. Thank god the Lightning game was on so I could ignore the first half.
  • Options
    Is Alabama a lock for the BCS Championship game?

If LSU/Bama Championship does happen, the SEC will finally lose a BCS Championship game!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Is Alabama a lock for the BCS Championship game? >>

Yes. MJ
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    And if this was the year 1974 or 1988, then Alabama and LSU would both be entering the championship game at 10-0-1.
    That would be incredible.

You can thank the silly overtime rule for ruining that matchup.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LSU - Alabama is obviously the best matchup. If rematches are to be disdained the best game I see would be LSU - Wisconsin. Because of two Hail Marys Wisconsin is too far back. Why not declare LSU the champion and let Alabama play OSU for 2nd?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>LSU - Alabama is obviously the best matchup. If rematches are to be disdained the best game I see would be LSU - Wisconsin. Because of two Hail Marys Wisconsin is too far back. Why not declare LSU the champion and let Alabama play OSU for 2nd? >>

Just because some have disdain for a rematch is no reason to rewrite the rule book at the end of the season.

The enjoyablity factor of viewing a game should have zero in the discussion as to who are the two best teams.

As to the Wisconsin angle, Alabama was just one field goal away from perfection. That is the ol 'if and buts' arguement. The two Hail Mary's were complete. To stop them, recruit better DB's. That is what Alabama has done. We have the best high school kicker on his way to T-town next year.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    Get Better DB's?

Did you see the Plays- especially the Michigan State hail mary?

That was fairly well defended- luck had everything to do with that play- and it looks as if we have a Wisconsin MSU rematch-

• Options
    Yes better DB's

Alabama played MSU last year in the Capital One Bowl. Final score 49-7. Has nothing to do with this year, but better DB's always help. If your team gets beat twice in one year on a Hail Marys, you got to lay some blame somewhere.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    To me, the fact the Bama lost at home pretty much negates any argument of their claim to a title over LSU. Pit LSU against any other deserving 1 loss team, or even Houston. Bama blew the game at home, so it should be case closed on their title hopes.
  • Options
    Well, you didn't answer the question so it does not appear you saw the game winning Michigan State touchdown

In view of the fact that you brought up Alabama's 49-7 embarrassment of Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl, let's take a moment to look at the season for both teams. Many sportswriters predicted Alabama would repeat as national champs- it didn't happen. They had a terrific team and great talent, but some would argue a trip to the Capital One Bowl was just not where they should have been. I would even suggest it was a disappointment-

Last season Michigan State was not even on the radar screen and most of the publications had them somewhere between 30-40th preseason and would not finish ahead of Ohio State or Wisconsin and possibly Penn State, Illinois and Northwestern. Michigan State had a terrific season but no one can sit here and tell me that anyone expected that they would be matched against the defending national champ- Frankly, the match up really did not make any sense- Ohio State played and beat Arkansas in either the Sugar Bowl or Cotton Bowl. Alabama- Ohio State and Michigan State- Arkansas were better match ups- I am not saying Ohio State would have won- I just think it would have been a better game- I am not saying MSU would have beat Arkansas- just saying it would have been a better match up. Keep in mind Mr. Saban was the former head coach at Michigan State and did well there before taking the job at LSU

• Options

<< <i>To me, the fact the Bama lost at home pretty much negates any argument of their claim to a title over LSU. >>

Good thing its not up to you. However if the experts feel as though Bama is the second best team, I will not argue with them.

Coin,

No I did not watch that game, I did see sportscenter, so I saw a replay of it. Yes, one of the two Hail Mary's very unfortunate. Can you tell me that you would have not wanted better DB's? Just maybe, if they had better DB's, they would not have been in a situation where they could have been beat by a Hail Mary.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>To me, the fact the Bama lost at home pretty much negates any argument of their claim to a title over LSU. Pit LSU against any other deserving 1 loss team, or even Houston. Bama blew the game at home, so it should be case closed on their title hopes. >>

So Oklahoma State blows a game against an unranked opponent, but Alabama "blows" a game in overtime against the #1 team
    in the country, and that makes OSU more deserving ?
  • Options
    I think the Wisconsin DBs are pretty good- I thought they played well - especially against Nebraska, Illinois and Purdue.

So you did see the replay which is good because one has to concede there was luck involved.

There are those rare situations where luck trumps talent

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To me, the fact the Bama lost at home pretty much negates any argument of their claim to a title over LSU. Pit LSU against any other deserving 1 loss team, or even Houston. Bama blew the game at home, so it should be case closed on their title hopes. >>

So Oklahoma State blows a game against an unranked opponent, but Alabama "blows" a game in overtime against the #1 team
    in the country, and that makes OSU more deserving ? >>

Well, coupled with the SEC standard that a team that doesn't win it's conference shouldn't be playing in the championship game. I guess that doesn't count when they're not lobbying for a spot in the game.
  • Options
    I thought this was pretty cool. Blindly compare resumes and then see who you think is #2.

LINK
  • Options
    I went with D. Hard to judge teams from just four stats. Not a big fan of margin of victory either.

Just imagine the ruckus that would follow if we judged baseball players for HOF induction from only four stats, HR Runs RBIs and Avg.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>I went with D. Hard to judge teams from just four stats. Not a big fan of margin of victory either.

Just imagine the ruckus that would follow if we judged baseball players for HOF induction from only four stats, HR Runs RBIs and Avg. >>

Chose B. Seemed simple enough.
  • Options

<< <i>Chose B. Seemed simple enough >>

Of course it seemed simple. That was the intention.

I could cherry pick four stats that would make Dale Murphy seem better than Mickey Mantle.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I heard one of the so-called experts on ESPN talking about the championship and it's not right to have a re-match for the championship. I just don't understand this logic. It should be the two best teams and whether it's a re-match, two teams from the same conference, or whatever shouldn't matter. Just the two best teams. If we don't have a playoff then we have to come up with another way to figure out the two best. We have a system, flawed as it is, and thus LSU and Alabama are deemed the two best teams. I don't care that they already played because that's irrelevant to them being the best or not.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember way back in 1971 when the final poll ranking had Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado (all teams from the Big 8 Conference) in slots 1, 2 and 3 respectively. CU lost to OU and NU during the regular season. OU lost to NU 35-31 in a great Thanksgiving day game. All three teams dominated throughout the entire season and bowl games. NU was undefeated, OU had one loss and CU had two losses.

#1 NU beat #2 Alabama in the Orange Bowl 38-6.

#4 OU beat #5 Auburn in the Sugar Bowl 40-22.

#3 Michigan lost to #16 Stanford in the Rose Bowl 13-12.

#6 CU beat Houston in the Blue Bonnet Bowl 29-17.

The final rankings issued after the bowl games were finished had NU #1, OU #2 and CU #3. This is the first and only time that three teams from the same conference were ranked #1-3 at the end of the college football season.

NU had Johnny Rodgers, OU had Gregg Pruitt and CU had Cliff Branch on their 1971 teams, three great players.

In one CU football game CU received the opening kickoff. Cliff Branch was one of the fastest football players, ever. He fielded the opening kickoff in the end zone and ran it out to return it instead of kneeling for a touchback. He ended up running 100+ yards for a touchdown, through and around the defenders. When he completed his 100+ yard run, in full football gear, through and around defenders a grand total of 11 seconds had run off of the clock [maybe the guy running the clock was slow starting it, but still even 12 or 13 seconds would be amazing]. Cliff Branch returned alot of punts and kickoffs for touchdowns in the NFL also and he was one of the fastest players in the NFL for years.

1971 was one heck of a good year for college football in general and for the Big 8 in particular.

OU had and CU had Cliff Branch (who had a great NFL career with the Raiders)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Chose B. Seemed simple enough >>

Of course it seemed simple. That was the intention.

I could cherry pick four stats that would make Dale Murphy seem better than Mickey Mantle. >>

I don't disagree, but the exercise was to use those numbers to pick your choice. Who in their right mind would have chosen D, seriously? Somebody who knew that they wouldn't like the obvious answer, I suppose. There's definitely a few teams worthy of consideration for the championship game versus LSU, assuming they (LSU) remain undefeated. Regardless of my opinion, I simply continue to lobby for a team that won their conference championship, or heck, at least played in the game. Why? Because the SEC powers-that-be told us that these were things that should be expected of a team in the championship game. Either they still agree with this stance, or they're hypocrites.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    Who exactly has Alabama beaten again? Three Div I teams with winning records. Penn State lost to every ranked team they played. Arkansas is the only impressive win on Alabama's resume. If OK St wins against Oklahoma they deserve to play LSU. Alabama had their chance at home and failed.

Like any fans, SEC/Alabama fans will use whatever argument currently works to justify their position. Have to agree that you need to win your conference championship to play in the BCS title game.

Now none of this says that OK St or someone else is better than Alabama but without a playoff there is no way of finding out.

Robb
  • Options
    8 teams in a playoff would be good. Seed them and top 4 play at home first week of December. Four teams left and games could be incorporated into the bowl games. Two games on or about Jan. 1 and Championship two weeks later. Then the complaining could come from whoever is rated #9.

Ralph

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have to agree that you need to win your conference championship to play in the BCS title game.
    >>

I don't get this argument. In no other sport do you have to win your conference championship game so why should it be that way in football!?
  • Options
    Good point. Should wild card participants be eliminated? Why were the Packers allowed into the playoffs last year? They didn't even win their division.

Ralph

• Options

I agree with this. I'm an SEC guy, but I'm sick of hearing Bama fans say "its gotta be the two best teams"...as if its written in stone that Alabama is one of them. First of all, there is an unbeaten team out there. You're not unbeaten AND you lost AT HOME IN YOUR BACKYARD. That is why no one outside of Birmingham/Tuscaloosa wants to see a rematch. Next- Alabama your offense is anemic and your Quarterback wouldn't start at most other Top25 schools. He is great at handing off to Richardon, completing passes to wide open receivers, and nothing else. Lastly, OK State has better wins on their resume than you do. Voters should celebrate OK State's quality wins, not celebrate Alabama's quality loss. I don't think I've ever seen a team brag more about a loss than Alabama has this year.

• Options
    I accept that the two teams at the top of the final BCS standings will play for the national championship.

I accepted this before the first kickoff.

I accept that if Alabama ends up third in that poll, we will play in the Sugar Bowl (more than likely).

I would love to see a playoff in lieu of our current system, until then I accept what we have.

I firmly believe that we would see more all-SEC championship games if we had a playoff.

I accept that with our current system, we may have another non- conference champ playing in the BCS championship game. or at least I hope.

I accept that if Bama is fortunate enough to have the privlege of playing LSU, and actually wins, some will act if the sky is falling.

I accept that if Bama does in fact win, I will be one happy person. I mean really really really HAPPY!!

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have to agree that you need to win your conference championship to play in the BCS title game.
    >>

I don't get this argument. In no other sport do you have to win your conference championship game so why should it be that way in football!? >>

Well, because they have a playoff in all other sports to my knowledge. This championship is really about voting/perception. Teams often rise and fall based off from what people believe a performance means, and the reality is we will usually never know the truth. Teams start the season ranked based upon a guess of how good people think they will be. It's really as valid as a magic 8 ball, considering the fact that many voters are swayed based on regional interests and other factors.

That being said, this argument was used frequently by the SEC over recent years, especially in '06. I simply say what's good for the goose should also be good for the... elephant.
  • Options
    Dirt, I too would love to see a 8 team playoff.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    BTW, the only team that has a chance to beat LSU is Alabama. Now if Georgia beats them, I may have a little egg on my face after my prior comment.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Dirt, I too would love to see a 8 team playoff. >>

8 team playoff would be good. 4 would even help. Hell, a plus one would be an improvement.

As for who can beat LSU, I think Ok St. would be an interesting match-up. Basically polar opposite of LSU. Great offense, no defense. But if they lose this weekend, there's nobody else really capable IMO. Stanford has Luck, and a great QB can get you far, but just not sure they could compete. Ugh, who knows? Funny things is, we've done all this talking and maybe LSU gets destroyed (not likely ), OSU crushes OU, and maybe we're talking about a Bama OSU match-up. image
  • Options
    I look at LSU as unbeatable. But, I thought Nebraska in 1983 was unbeatable. And Miami in 1986. And Miami in 1992. And Miami in 2002. And Ohio State in 2006. Yet, all of those teams lost (well, Miami in 2002 didn't really lose, but you get the point). So, LSU could win big or lose big. I hope they run the table, but stranger things have happened.