Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football-Bowl Predictions?

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alabama may become the new #1 team

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Bama looks a little better then LSU, but LSU has had the tougher schedule so far, and thus will probably be ranked higher.
  • Options
    Illinois-Northwestern this Saturday- should be a fun game to watch

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Illinois-Northwestern this Saturday- should be a fun game to watch >>

It will be interesting to see how Dan Persa looks the first series. I agree it will be fun to watch.
  • Options
    Both QBs should be entertaining - Persa is talented and it would be great to see a full recovery from his previous injury. Illinois needs a complete game to silence the critics

• Options
    Barn Burner in Champaign ILL 38 NU 35

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barn Burner in Champaign ILL 38 NU 35 >>

That was fun. image AJ Jenkins had a hell of game but Northwestern defense is awful.
  • Options
    NU defense was fairly good against the Illinois running game-

• Options
    How about that Wisconsin quarterback?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wisconsin QB looked really good. Wisconsin certainly looks like a National Championship contender.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Wisconsin played very well- great and even gutsy play calling.

I am still surprised with the 3rd and 3 to go when the score was 14-13 in the second quarter- the deep play action fake- Wisconsin's passing game is significantly better than what I was expecting. They clearly are no longer a dark horse and should move up- its just alittle crowded at the top right now

They are the best in the Big Ten- no other team in the conference is in their league in terms of overall talent

• Options
    The Al/LSU game is gaining steam, so is the Richardson for Heisman buzz
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Wisconsin QB looked really good. Wisconsin certainly looks like a National Championship contender. >>

Who have they beaten that is in the top 10 ? Anyone ?

I know they looked good against Nebraska. But Nebraska couldn't beat OSU until OSU's starting qb got hurt.

Wisconsion looks good, like Boise looks good, but I'm not sure they've played anyone so far.
  • Options
    Russell Wilson is the real deal. I've watched him for three years at NC State. He carried a mediocre team to bowl games. This year they let him go to get another quarterback. They suck without him. I think he's got an excellent chance of leading the Badgers to the Big Ten title. That being said, the winner of the LSU/Alabama game should be considered a big favorite to win the whole thing, no matter who they play.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Wisconsin lost the only really loseable game on their schedule, and surprize surprize OU chokes again.

LSU vs Bama in 2 weeks is the game of the year no doubt. I wonder if the guy that posted a month or so ago that UGA was as good as LSU still holds that opinion?

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    LSU-Alabama will likely be the game of the year, but in terms of excitement, the Wisconsin-Michigan State game may be a tough act to follow

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wisconsin QB looked really good. Wisconsin certainly looks like a National Championship contender. >>

Who have they beaten that is in the top 10 ? Anyone ?

. >>

Wisconsin is done, no matter who they beat from here on out.
  • Options
    Now all we need is for Clemson to lose to South Carolina, and OU to beat Oklahoma State, and Stanford to lose, and
    we'll get that matchup that everyone is looking forward to.

Boise State vs. LSU or Alabama

• Options
    Done in terms of the National Championship, but not in terms of playing in the Rosebowl. Don't be too critical- there is alot for them to play for. The season some other Big Ten Teams is much more grim at the moment... starting with Illinois, Ohio State and even Northwestern.

The big winner in the Big Ten over the last two weeks is Penn State. The Michigan State- Penn State game is shaping up to be what I was hoping the Illinois-Wisconsin game would be.

• Options
    BTW, the teams that ultimately loose a game this season will likely not loose the way the Badgers did- last play- 44 yd TD pass that had to be reviewed. Not making excuses- just stating the facts

• Options
    Another BTW, With all the conference schuffling going on, was Boise State considered or did they make an effort to join the Pac 10 or the Big 12 or ?

• Options
    A one-loss Bama or LSU will still garner some attention. I am not saying that there maybe a rematch, but its not impossible.

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another BTW, With all the conference schuffling going on, was Boise State considered or did they make an effort to join the Pac 10 or the Big 12 or ? >>

no they did not
  • Options
    The LSU / Bama game was everything it was built up to be. Two great teams with extraordinary defenses, to bad one had to lose. As an LSU fan there is no team I have more respect for than Bama. Really there is no other team close to these two, no matter what anyone says. I knew it was going to be a great game, but I did not know it would be that tight. No reason for Bama to hang there head at all.
  • Options
    And with Bama dropping to only #4 in the poll, ahead of Boise State even, I think the rest of the country
    agrees with you.

OU can beat OSU. Oregon can beat Stanford. If that happens, you'll get your rematch.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Aside from the defending national champs, the SEC west is looking like a monster again. >>

yep and Bama and LSU are mirror images of each other, unbelievable talent everywhere but quarterback. >>

Just because LSU managed to beat Oregon in week 1, don't kid yourself into thinking that there on the same level of Alabama. They aren't. >>

I certainly believe that they are. They beat them last year, I do not know if they will beat them this year but they very may well do it. Like Alabama they have great talent on both sides of the ball. If you cannot see that then clearly I cannot have a rational discussion with you about college football. They are certainly better than Georgia who you lumped them in with. >>

LSU's offense is still way too ugly to get to the BCS. Like last year, they have athletes everywhere, but no gameplan or rythem on offense. You could say that LSU wins with great defense.....but Alabama's defense is better than thiers too. I'm just not sure what kind of advantage LSU has over Bama that would cause me to think they could win. Coaching certainly not better either. I never said LSU was a bad team, but I just don't see them continuing to win with the offensive weapons they put on the field and lack of a real offensive gameplan. Guess we'll find out soon enough. >>

i just had to bring this discussion back up. Clearly someone was clearly mistaken LSU.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    As an LSU fan, I will be rooting for Stanford and Oklahoma State and Boise State. Beating Alabama twice in one season will be difficult. I want no part of it.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>As an LSU fan, I will be rooting for Stanford and Oklahoma State and Boise State. Beating Alabama twice in one season will be difficult. I want no part of it. >>

agree. Bama is too good to fool around with.
  • Options
    Hats off to the Tigers. The second Int will geaux down in Tiger History!

I can only hope for a rematch. If were so lucky, it will be on hostile teritory
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Congratulations to the LSU Tigers, they have a great football team. If Bama doesn't get another shot, then I hope we keep the championship in the SEC.
  • Options
    Wow, Bama drops to #3 in the BCS.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    Boise State, Oregon, and Oklahoma have no chance of jumping a one loss Bama.

Stanford has a good shot of jumping Bama with a convincing win against Oregon. Remember, LSU toasted Oregon, and
    barely survived Bama, so if Stanford squeaks by Oregon, then there will be a debate.

Oklahoma State controls it's own destiny. Bama needs OU here.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boise State, Oregon, and Oklahoma have no chance of jumping a one loss Bama.

Stanford has a good shot of jumping Bama with a convincing win against Oregon. Remember, LSU toasted Oregon, and
    barely survived Bama, so if Stanford squeaks by Oregon, then there will be a debate.

Oklahoma State controls it's own destiny. Bama needs OU here. >>

Bama and LSU could also both lose in the meantime as well. Granted they are both great teams but both have chinks in their amour. Start at QB . Plus Alabama's special teams ain't so special. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LSU is in great shape at quarterback. Two guys that would start for 60-70% of the BCS division schools. I would not be surprised to see Lee get a shot in the NFL. Both Alabama and LSU were averaging nearly 40 points per game going into their battle. Their offenses are just fine. Their defenses are just so good that they made each other's offenses look bad. Neither of them has to face a defense like that again unless they meet each other again.
  • Options

<< <i>LSU is in great shape at quarterback. Two guys that would start for 60-70% of the BCS division schools. I would not be surprised to see Lee get a shot in the NFL. Both Alabama and LSU were averaging nearly 40 points per game going into their battle. Their offenses are just fine. Their defenses are just so good that they made each other's offenses look bad. Neither of them has to face a defense like that again unless they meet each other again. >>

this.
  • Options
    LSU Bleaux!!!

Can you say sour grapes.

One of the greatest defensive games I have ever watched. Just sad that we lost.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>LSU Bleaux!!!

Can you say sour grapes.

One of the greatest defensive games I have ever watched. Just sad that we lost. >>

You missed Alabama 7 Penn State 0 in the Sugar Bowl ??? 1977 ???
  • Options
    The goal line stand. I was six and really have little memory of that one.

Good game, and we won!!!!!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I remember a similar game in 1979 that was 14-7 when Barry Krause had a big game. I was there! And the previous year too when Bama beat the crap out of Ohio State and Woody Hayes. I still have my Bama Sugar Bowl pennant that I bought that day at the game. I support LSU, but when it is Bama against a Big Ten team I say ROLL TIDE!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Now all we need is for Clemson to lose to South Carolina, and OU to beat Oklahoma State, and Stanford to lose, and

Boise State vs. LSU or Alabama >>

Please tell me your not serious.
  • Options
    So who is going to win, Stanford or Oregon ?
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well Wisconsin lost the only really loseable game on their schedule, and surprize surprize OU chokes again.

LSU vs Bama in 2 weeks is the game of the year no doubt. I wonder if the guy that posted a month or so ago that UGA was as good as LSU still holds that opinion? >>

Well first of all, I didn't use those words "Uga was as good as LSU" (and I've corrected you numerous times already, but I guess you like repeating yourself). That being said, Richt and UGA pounded the Tigers the last time they met in the SEC championship, when UGA again was supposedly an inferior team. JaMarcus Russell was all over the headlines leading up to the game, but at some point in the first half, he had to be helped off the field by several staff members after a big hit. Whatever. If UGA beats Auburn next weekend, I expect UGA will be 10-14 point underdog going into the SEC championship, but I see no reason it wouldn't be a good game. I doubt UGA would be able to stop LSU's running game, but I also think that Murray will throw the ball with more success than any other QB has had against LSU this year.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>LSU is in great shape at quarterback. Two guys that would start for 60-70% of the BCS division schools. I would not be surprised to see Lee get a shot in the NFL. Both Alabama and LSU were averaging nearly 40 points per game going into their battle. Their offenses are just fine. Their defenses are just so good that they made each other's offenses look bad. Neither of them has to face a defense like that again unless they meet each other again. >>

this. >>

I don't really know how to respond to this. Anyone who thinks Jarret Lee will get a shot in the NFL is.....I don't know what they are. Lee was the Crimson Tide's MVP until he got benched after throwing his 2nd pick. As for the other piece of garbage who got into the fight at the bar with the Marine- he's your typical running QB who can't run a sophisticated offense. Hand off left, hand off right, and quick pitch. Its not rocket science. LSU's defense, offensive line, and RB's are why they are successful.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now all we need is for Clemson to lose to South Carolina, and OU to beat Oklahoma State, and Stanford to lose, and

Boise State vs. LSU or Alabama >>

Please tell me your not serious. >>

I'll be honest with you- I care 0 about seeing an AL rematch with LSU. AL had their shot AT HOME and lost. If an undefeated Boise, Stanford, or OK State is out there, give any of the 3 a shot. Its the right thing to do. And I would see great value in finding out if Kellen Moore and his band of 1-star slow receivers could move the ball against LSU. Part of me thinks they could. It would be the ultimate test of Boise (GREAT coaches / mediocre athletes) against LSU (Mediocre at best coaches / GREAT athletes).

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't watch a lot of SEC football. I watch OSU and Big Ten first and use the remote control and go from one game to another and stick with one if it is compelling. I saw LSU a couple times and they looked good... Really good. I could not see anyone beating them. I had not seen Alabama but when I saw they were favored I thought they must be really, really good. I watched the entire Alabama, LSU game. Seems all the experts who must know more than me thought that was a great game by two great teams. I had a different take. I don't think either team could beat Boise the way they played.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    First- a belated congrats to Northwestern for a compelling upset at Lincoln. This is why some of us watch and follow the sport

Oregon-Stanford will be huge and should be great.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So who is going to win, Stanford or Oregon ? >>

home field means a lot, more to Oregon...so for this one Stanford.

• Options

<< <i>I don't watch a lot of SEC football. I watch OSU and Big Ten first and use the remote control and go from one game to another and stick with one if it is compelling. I saw LSU a couple times and they looked good... Really good. I could not see anyone beating them. I had not seen Alabama but when I saw they were favored I thought they must be really, really good. I watched the entire Alabama, LSU game. Seems all the experts who must know more than me thought that was a great game by two great teams. I had a different take. I don't think either team could beat Boise the way they played. >>

I truly mean no offense, but that quite possibly could be the most ignorant statement I've heard or read about this college football season, or any season for that matter. It is very apparent that you do not watch much SEC football. And if you think neither LSU or Bama could beat Boise State, then it seems you dont watch much college football in general. The following is Boise St. schedule they've played so far this season:

Georgia
    Toledo
    Tulsa
    Nevada
    Fresno State
    Colorado State
    Air Force
    UNLV

Eight games into the season, and that is the extent of the competition they've faced. All Boise has is that Georgia victory. And even Georgia fans will tell you they're having a down year for them in a very weak SEC East, compared to how the East usually is. I just dont see where the ppl who believe Boise St. is in the same ballpark as top tier SEC teams come to that conclusion. B/c they throw up 50+ points sometimes? That's b/c they have a very, very good QB playing against cupcakes. After Georgia that schedule has been a joke. 7 straight "homecoming" type games. Boise's D let UNLV put up 21 pts on em last week, game before that Air Force put up 26. Dont get me wrong, Boise St. has a very good football program, something equal to a 2nd place big Big Ten team with potential of breaking thru to be a top tier one.
    I almost want them to make it to the BCS title game so once and for all they'll be exposed as the "darn good" team they are.
  • Options

<< <i>So who is going to win, Stanford or Oregon ? >>

Gonna be a good football game for sure, the Heisman winner and his squad pull it out tho
  • Options
    mcadams, as usual, you type without facts. Yes, I said Jarrett Lee might have a shot at the NFL. True, he did not have a good game against Alabama. He has however had 7 other games this season that would be considered very good. Perhaps I am mistaken. It happens. But, I don't think that suggesting that a 6'2" quarterback with a strong arm that had 14 touchdown passes and 1 interception while leading a team to 39 points per game going into the Alabama game might get a look from an NFL team is a stretch. Is he going to challenge Andrew Luck for #1 pick? No. But might he get drafted or at least get a tryout? I'll bet he does. And anyone that thinks that LSU's coaches are "Mediocre at best" clearly knows ZERO about college football. Or maybe it is just jealousy, since we know that the teams that win BCS National Championships from the SEC are the Big Boys like Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida (twice) and LSU (twice). I forgot to mention Georgia. Oh, no... I didn't forget. They haven't won a National Championship since 1980 (a questionable championship, since Ga didn't play Bear Bryant's Tide that year OR LSU). But, a team from Georgia HAS won the title since then. Georgia Tech won the title in 1990. Must really suck to have a second tier program in the SEC and be the second tier in your own state.... By the way, since LSU's coaching is so mediocre, explain how the Dawgs had a losing season last year, despite scheduling such brutal out of conference foes as Idaho State and Louisiana-Lafayette (in Athens, of course). You did give Central Florida a great battle in a lower tier bowl game before losing though. Impressive. mcadams, I guess you do know mediocrity. Braves, Falcons, Hawks, Thrashers (before they left town), and the Georgia Bulldogs have given you a lifetime of it. Enjoy :-)