Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football-Bowl Predictions?

Comments

• Options

I'll be honest with you- I care 0 about seeing an AL rematch with LSU. AL had their shot AT HOME and lost. If an undefeated Boise, Stanford, or OK State is out there, give any of the 3 a shot. Its the right thing to do. And I would see great value in finding out if Kellen Moore and his band of 1-star slow receivers could move the ball against LSU. Part of me thinks they could. It would be the ultimate test of Boise (GREAT coaches / mediocre athletes) against LSU (Mediocre at best coaches / GREAT athletes). >>

Somebody's got a case of the my team's in the East and blows.
  • Options
    Oklahoma State was totally satanic in their win against Texas Tech today.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if TCU can pull the upset.

Oregon should beat Stanford tonight.

LSU still has two tough games ahead of them.
  • Options
    I'll call the Oregon-Stanford game a coin flip. I really don't see either being much better than the other. I'm pulling for Stanford. I'm rooting for LSU, and if LSU is fortunate enough to make it to the title game, I want Alabama to have already played. I'd rather see Stanford or Oklahoma State (especially Stanford).
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i'm going with the under and Stanford -3.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bye bye Boise!!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I've spent a few minutes watching the Oregon Stanford game and those few minutes reinforce the reason I don't watch college football: teams don't win because they posess skill, teams lose because they posess a lack of skill. Teams don't score because of a strong offense, they score because of bad defense and blown coverage. I'll stick to watching the pros. Sloppiness and gimmicky plays irritate me.

Oregon is walking all over this game because the Stanford defense can't tackle.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oregon is walking all over this game because the Stanford defense can't tackle. >>

Stanford is too slow. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Any chance that Oregon jumps Alabama by season's end? Bama has Auburn (which is dropping like a rock) and Georgia Southern left to play. Oregon has USC, Oregon State, and the Pac-12 Championship Game (assuming they win those other two). They each have one loss (both lost to LSU) and one win over an otherwise undefeated team (Arkansas and Stanford). I think Bama has played a tougher schedule, but a Pac-12 title might get Oregon over the Tide. Any chance?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Teams don't score because of a strong offense, they score because of bad defense and blown coverage. I'll stick to watching the pros. Sloppiness and gimmicky plays irritate me. >>

I will send you a copy of any Bama or LSU game. Just about every player on the field on both D, will be playing on sundays.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    Bama's road to the Sugar Bowl is still open. LSU has two games and OSU has one game left against top ranked teams.

If LSU stumbles against Arkansas, Bama could still make it in the SEC Championship.

What a crazy season so far!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Any chance that Oregon jumps Alabama by season's end? Bama has Auburn (which is dropping like a rock) and Georgia Southern left to play. Oregon has USC, Oregon State, and the Pac-12 Championship Game (assuming they win those other two). They each have one loss (both lost to LSU) and one win over an otherwise undefeated team (Arkansas and Stanford). I think Bama has played a tougher schedule, but a Pac-12 title might get Oregon over the Tide. Any chance? >>

Do you see Oklahoma St stumbling against at Iowa St or at home to Oklahoma? For sure the game at Stillwater will be tough. No Big 12 Championship game this year helps OSU if they get through the next two weeks.Two wins by OSU and they are playing for a National Championship no matter what Alabama or Oregon does. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Don't rule out a Bama/OSU game. Arkansas is solid and Georgia is peaking. LSU loses to either, then Bama may back into the Sugar Bowl.

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Don't rule out a Bama/OSU game. Arkansas is solid and Georgia is peaking. LSU loses to either, then Bama may back into the Sugar Bowl. >>

True dat. MJ
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I'll just say as a former Stanford guy, tonight's humiliation in front of an ESPN national audience has me too embarrassed to admit being associated with that campus.

All of the sudden the grand prize in the "suck for Luck" sweepstakes doesn't appear all that intriguing anymore.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    This weeks rankings will be

1. LSU
    2. Oklahoma State
    3. Alabama
    4. Oregon
    5. Arkansas

Here are two of the craziest scenarios I see.

#1. Arkansas beats LSU and OU beats Oklahoma State. All those Top 5 teams end up with 1 loss. Who is #1 ???
    LSU roasted Oregon but just slipped by Alabama.
    Arkansas beats LSU but lost to the Tide.

#2. OU beats Oklahoma State giving a rematch between the Tide and LSU. The Tide win the Sugar Bowl 9-6 in overtime.
    Who is crowned national champion ? Both LSU and the Tide have 1 loss, and both by the same score to the same team.
  • Options
    Crazy scenerio #3

OSU wins out, LSU gets upset by Georgia in the SEC Championship game, Alabama wins out.

Likely Sugar Bowl would be OSU/BAMA. If Bama wins then we would be national champs, but not SEC champs, that would be Georgia.

Then every debates, 'how can you be national champs without winning your division'

Who wants a playoff? I do!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Crazy scenerio #3

, LSU gets upset by Georgia in the SEC Championship game, ! >>

Mark Richt wins an SEC championship game ?
    I said "scenarios", not fantasies. image
  • Options
    Mark Richt has won it before. It's a home game for Georgia (which is why it needs to be rotated). There are a number of nice venues that could host the game such as the Superdome (New Orleans), Dolphins Stadium (Miami), Raymond James Stadium (Tampa), and any of the other stadiums in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, or Mississippi. With A & M coming in, even Houston would be a nice place to play.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well Wisconsin lost the only really loseable game on their schedule, and surprize surprize OU chokes again.

LSU vs Bama in 2 weeks is the game of the year no doubt. I wonder if the guy that posted a month or so ago that UGA was as good as LSU still holds that opinion? >>

Well first of all, I didn't use those words "Uga was as good as LSU" (and I've corrected you numerous times already, but I guess you like repeating yourself). That being said, Richt and UGA pounded the Tigers the last time they met in the SEC championship, when UGA again was supposedly an inferior team. JaMarcus Russell was all over the headlines leading up to the game, but at some point in the first half, he had to be helped off the field by several staff members after a big hit. Whatever. If UGA beats Auburn next weekend, I expect UGA will be 10-14 point underdog going into the SEC championship, but I see no reason it wouldn't be a good game. I doubt UGA would be able to stop LSU's running game, but I also think that Murray will throw the ball with more success than any other QB has had against LSU this year. >>

I just pointed out what you said earlier. All I said was that Alabama/LSU would be a great game, and you said that LSU was not in their class and as good as Fla, UGA and not even as good as SCAR. I am actually surprized you came back to this thread. I see you cannot still admit you were wrong.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll just say as a former Stanford guy, tonight's humiliation in front of an ESPN national audience has me too embarrassed to admit being associated with that campus.

All of the sudden the grand prize in the "suck for Luck" sweepstakes doesn't appear all that intriguing anymore. >>

yeah it was something that i had on TV but was doing other things after a bunch of mistakes by the defense and why, why, why wasn't a time-out called by Stanford when Oregon was going for it 4th and 7??????????????????????????????????????

and yes Oregon is much faster, i had really underrated them especially on a soggy turf.

coaching or lack of and a few key injuries to both offense and defense, were exploited by Oregon.

Luck is a very very good QB. if he is on an NFL team with a good line, he will do very well.

just think "JaMarcus"
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Crazy scenerio #3

, LSU gets upset by Georgia in the SEC Championship game, ! >>

Mark Richt wins an SEC championship game ?
    I said "scenarios", not fantasies. image >>

Edmundfitzgerald- God you are a giant idiot. Do you even watch college football? Richt has been to the game 3 times and won 2 of them. Fact, not fantasy---

2002: UGA 30 / Arkansas 3
    2005: UGA 34 / LSU 14
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Well Wisconsin lost the only really loseable game on their schedule, and surprize surprize OU chokes again.

LSU vs Bama in 2 weeks is the game of the year no doubt. I wonder if the guy that posted a month or so ago that UGA was as good as LSU still holds that opinion? >>

Well first of all, I didn't use those words "Uga was as good as LSU" (and I've corrected you numerous times already, but I guess you like repeating yourself). That being said, Richt and UGA pounded the Tigers the last time they met in the SEC championship, when UGA again was supposedly an inferior team. JaMarcus Russell was all over the headlines leading up to the game, but at some point in the first half, he had to be helped off the field by several staff members after a big hit. Whatever. If UGA beats Auburn next weekend, I expect UGA will be 10-14 point underdog going into the SEC championship, but I see no reason it wouldn't be a good game. I doubt UGA would be able to stop LSU's running game, but I also think that Murray will throw the ball with more success than any other QB has had against LSU this year. >>

I just pointed out what you said earlier. All I said was that Alabama/LSU would be a great game, and you said that LSU was not in their class and as good as Fla, UGA and not even as good as SCAR. I am actually surprized you came back to this thread. I see you cannot still admit you were wrong. >>

I was wrong about LSU not being as good as Alabama.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Also- Rexvos, did you actually go to LSU or just a fan?

• Options
    Wow on Iowa State. Chaos. MJ
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Great to see my alma mater Iowa State beat OSU on ESPN tonight!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    GO DUCKS!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>Great to see my alma mater Iowa State beat OSU on ESPN tonight! >>

That was one heck of a comeback. I got home from the ice rink when it was 24-14 OSU.
    Didn't ISU almost do this to Nebraska in 97 ?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow on Iowa State. Chaos. MJ >>

Those who love chaos need Arkansas to beat LSU.
  • Options
    Alabama still has a shot!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options

<< <i>Alabama still has a shot! >>

Would love to see a one loss Bama team beat an unbeaten LSU team in overtime at the Super Dome.

That way we'd have two one loss teams that both lost to each other in the other teams home stadium.

Would love to see the computers work that one out.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Not really interested in seeing an LSU/Bama rematch. First take was painful to watch. Great D's, but...
  • Options

<< <i>Not really interested in seeing an LSU/Bama rematch. First take was painful to watch. Great D's, but... >>

Agree. MJ
  • Options
    i hate USC
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>Not really interested in seeing an LSU/Bama rematch. First take was painful to watch. Great D's, but... >>

Defense wins championships! Case Closed!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    OK... so here's a few scenarios. All are based upon Alabama beating Auburn. Tell me what you think:

1) Arkansas beats LSU barely. So both teams are 11-1. So is Alabama. Who goes to the SEC Championship Game?
    2) Same scenario... Then, Georgia wins the SEC Championship Game.
    3) Arkansas beats LSU convincingly. Who goes now?
    4) Same scenario as #2, but based upon #3.
    5) LSU beats Arkansas. Then loses to Georgia.
    6) LSU beats Arkansas. Then Georgia destroys LSU.

Here's how I see it:
    1) LSU goes to Championship Game, based upon their body of work.
    2) The two teams not picked play a rematch for the National Championship. Wow, that seems odd....
    3) I'd have no freaking clue.
    4) I'd say the same as #2.
    5) LSU still gets in. As a one loss team, they'd have wins over Oregon, Arkansas, Alabama, West Virginia, Florida, Auburn, etc... Better than any other 1 loss team.
    6) LSU probably still gets in. Kinda like Oklahoma in 2003.

Oddly, I think Alabama's best situation is to see LSU win this week. While it assures Bama no chance of the SEC Championship Game, it would eliminate one more 1-loss team. That would basically leave Bama to contend with Oklahoma State, Stanford, Virginia Tech, and Boise State. Bama wins all of those arguments. The only chance I see for any of those teams getting in would be if Alabama loses to Auburn. So, I pretty much see an All-SEC final. I just don't know which two teams. OK... chime in.
  • Options
    I believe that if Ark wins, the highest ranked BCS school goes to the SEC Champ game.

Oddly, LSU who is undefeated probably has the toughest road to the BCS Champ game.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    I'm not sure. My feeling is that if LSU were to lose to Arkansas by a narrow margin, they would still be the highest ranked BCS school of the three.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my thought are this.

Alabama beats Auburn and gets in the title game for sure.

winner of LSU/ Arkansas game beats UGA and goes.

So either

LSU vs Bama

or

Ark vs Bama.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

Defense wins championships! Case Closed! >>

I'm not sure which case was closed. That being said, we know who wins the game already as LSU beat Bama this year. No need to watch that match-up again.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure which case was closed. That being said, we know who wins the game already as LSU beat Bama this year. No need to watch that match-up again. >>

Well, for $%its and giggles, I'll watch if Bama is fortunate enough to get past Auburn. I would say it would not be a fore gone conclusion.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    The idea that a national champion is not also the champion of their conference is tough to swallow. I'm sorry, but if Alabama can't make it the SEC championship, there is no room for anyone to argue that they belong in the BCS championship. This logic played out already in 2007 when LSU was put into the BCS championship ahead of UGA, when UGA wasn't in the SEC title game.

This year, If LSU beats both Ark and UGA, then for god's sake find another conference champion to pit against them. Alabama had their shot at LSU (AT HOME) and lost. I'd much rather see the Pac10 champ (if its Stanford), or even an unbeaten Houston team get a shot.

• Options
    I think in 2007, LSU and UGa were probably the best two teams in the country. Georgia just had the bad luck of not winning the SEC East. I think they were actually ahead of LSU at the end of the regular season, but since LSU got to play an extra game, they beat the East champion, which gave them some more points to push them over Georgia. Had the Bulldogs played Ohio State, the results would likely have been about the same. This year, it so happens the top three teams in the country are in the same division of the same conference. So, only one of them can possibly represent the division. A little different scenario.
  • Options
    If LSU wins it's last two games, and Alabama beats Auburn, then they clearly both belong in the national championship game.
    Both schools will have proven that they are the best two teams. And the national championship game deserves the best
    two teams in college football. It's that simple.

Here's an interesting fact about Oregon. In the past 3 years, here are their combined stats against decent teams like Ohio State
    and Boise State, LSU, and Auburn. Compared to their stats against everyone else.

Against these four good teams Oregon averages 17.8 points per game.
    Against these four good teams Oregon averages 95.0 yards rushing per game.
    They average 299.0 yards per game.

Against the rest of the teams the past 3 years Oregon averages............

45 points per game
    280 rushing yards per game
    495 total yards per game.

• Options
    For the fourth year in a row, the Iron Bowl has national championship implications. The level of college football in this state is impressive.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Also, the Litlle Statebof Alabama has a chance of producing the third straight Heisman trophy recipient....small state....only 4.8 million people
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am a Pac 10... errr 12... guy but at this point I would rather see LSU v. Bama rematch. That's the two best teams. I WISH Boise hadn't tripped up because I would LOVE to see them get a shot. Maybe another year.... Same for Oregon and/or Stanford. Would have loved to see them not lose but you gotta win!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>The idea that a national champion is not also the champion of their conference is tough to swallow. I'm sorry, but if Alabama can't make it the SEC championship, there is no room for anyone to argue that they belong in the BCS championship. This logic played out already in 2007 when LSU was put into the BCS championship ahead of UGA, when UGA wasn't in the SEC title game.

This year, If LSU beats both Ark and UGA, then for god's sake find another conference champion to pit against them. Alabama had their shot at LSU (AT HOME) and lost. I'd much rather see the Pac10 champ (if its Stanford), or even an unbeaten Houston team get a shot. >>

I 100% agree with this IF you concede that this 'National Championship' is legitimate. But it's not- it's an utter, laughable fraud that no self-respecting sports fan can take seriously. Voting for the teams that will get to play in the championship game? It's like figure skating with shoulder pads.

No, I take that back- actually it's worse. At least in figure skating nobody is ranked BEFORE they take the ice. I can see taking the league trophy seriously, because at least that has some air of legitimacy. But the BCS?

Take two decent teams, I don't care which, and put them on T.V. at some point in the middle of January to play a game. Winners get to lift a miniature glass football over their heads and tell the world how 'nobody believed in them'. Rinse and repeat in 2013.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The idea that a national champion is not also the champion of their conference is tough to swallow. I'm sorry, but if Alabama can't make it the SEC championship, there is no room for anyone to argue that they belong in the BCS championship. This logic played out already in 2007 when LSU was put into the BCS championship ahead of UGA, when UGA wasn't in the SEC title game.

This year, If LSU beats both Ark and UGA, then for god's sake find another conference champion to pit against them. Alabama had their shot at LSU (AT HOME) and lost. I'd much rather see the Pac10 champ (if its Stanford), or even an unbeaten Houston team get a shot. >>

I 100% agree with this IF you concede that this 'National Championship' is legitimate. But it's not- it's an utter, laughable fraud that no self-respecting sports fan can take seriously. Voting for the teams that will get to play in the championship game? It's like figure skating with shoulder pads.

No, I take that back- actually it's worse. At least in figure skating nobody is ranked BEFORE they take the ice. I can see taking the league trophy seriously, because at least that has some air of legitimacy. But the BCS?

Take two decent teams, I don't care which, and put them on T.V. at some point in the middle of January to play a game. Winners get to lift a miniature glass football over their heads and tell the world how 'nobody believed in them'. Rinse and repeat in 2013. >>

wow, showing some true colors there with that whining rant.

Sure it would be better if an inferior team gets to play in the national championship game because....they don't get the shot often enough?? What an argument.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Take two decent teams, I don't care which, and put them on T.V. at some point in the middle of January to play a game. Winners get to lift a miniature glass football over their heads and tell the world how 'nobody believed in them'. Rinse and repeat in 2013. >>

wow, showing some true colors there with that whining rant.

Sure it would be better if an inferior team gets to play in the national championship game because....they don't get the shot often enough?? What an argument. >>

Two points:

1) I'm not 'anti college football'. I'm 'anti national championship', at least as the championship format is currently constructed. I think it's a screaming joke, and I can't understand why anyone would take it seriously. Or, in your case, bristle with anger when the format's legitimacy is questioned.

2) There is no way you can even reasonably assured that the two best teams are going to face each other in the 'national championship game' when one of the primary factors that determines the participants is a subjective 'ranking system' that is imposed on the eligible teams BEFORE they ever suit up to play their first game of the season.

I'll discuss the merits of the bowl system, but as far as all this 'true colors' nonsense goes you'll have to find someone else to play along. I don't do flame wars, and I won't waste my time trading insults with people who deliberately misread my posts. If that's the kind of online activity that excites you you'll have to find another partner.