Home Sports Talk

College Football-Bowl Predictions?

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
list the teams you think will surprise and those that will disappoint-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Surprise- Georgia Tech (They are better than predicted almost every year. Paul Johnson still doesn't get the recognition he deserves. With Tech, its about the coaching and the system, not the players.) Another surprise could be Mississippi State. Yes they have a brutal schedule, but I see them with a winning record and going to a decent bowl game this year.

Disappoint- Florida State. Everyone thinks FSU is on the way back up. I say they are still mediocre and will realize the Christian Ponder carried that team on his back the last 2 years. Without Ponder, they revert to a 7 or 8 win season. Auburn will be a .500 team this year- that may shock some people who don't live in this part of the country.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    have you looked at FSU's schedule?? Vanderbilt would have 7 or 8 wins with that schedule
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the Big Ten will be different with Nebraska and I really don't know how all of that will go with the coaching changes and players leaving early for the NFL Draft- Northwestern has a many returning players- I think they could be better than expected- I think this will be a defining season for their coach. I also think it will be a defining season for Zook at Illinois. He needs an 8 or 9 win season (or even better) and this could be the year.

I am not sure what will happen in the PAC10-

While I am not conceding yet, the SEC seems to be the best at the start of the season. That is even from top to bottom.

• Alabama's D is going to be nasty this year. I'm not making any predictions, just going to watch the games and enjoy.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am not conceding yet, the SEC seems to be the best at the start of the season. That is even from top to bottom.

We wil see Sept 3. PAC-12 number 1 versus SEC number 1. Can't wait.

GO DUCKS!!!!
  • LSU is not even #1( highest rated ) in the western division of the SEC. Alabama is ranked above LSU. How did the last game the Ducks had with SEC go?
    Scoreboard Malfunction

<< <i>While I am not conceding yet, the SEC seems to be the best at the start of the season. That is even from top to bottom.

GO DUCKS!!!! >>

LSU is the second highest ranked team in the SEC in the polls.
    In reality, South Carolina will be the 2nd best SEC team this year behind Alabama. Plus, this LSU team is basically a coin flip vs. Florida, Georgia, or Arkansas as well. I personally think Oregon beats LSU be 3+ touchdowns, regardless of who's playing. LSU just isn't that good this year and Jordan Jefferson has never been good.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Where is the Oregon - LSU game being played?

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "LSU is not even #1( highest rated ) in the western division of the SEC. Alabama is ranked above LSU. How did the last game the Ducks had with SEC go?"

The Ducks last game with a SEC team went just fine. We played the game and came out on the short end. Its now history and actually some peopls live in the past but not this guy.

The pre-season rankings are bunk and any true football fan should know this. I believe Auburn was ranked 22 last year and the Ducks were 12. What the heck happened to 1 and 2 that were the pre-season big boys.

I guess the point is that lets play the games and see what happens. For all I know the Ducks could go 0-12.

"GO DUCKS" and please do not run the table to 0 wins and 12 defeats. 7 Days untill we get it on.

Ken

• The LSU-OU is definitely the best game of opening weekend. I'm also interested in Boise St and Georgia. Can Georgia bounce back from a down year?
    Scoreboard Malfunction

<< <i>The LSU-OU is definitely the best game of opening weekend. I'm also interested in Boise St and Georgia. Can Georgia bounce back from a down year? >>

If they can go 1-1 in the first 2 games, then I think we're OK. If they win both, then look out.

• Alabama posted its starting lineup

Jack linebacker
    Courtney Upshaw 6-2, 265

Sam Linebacker
    Jerrell Harris 6-3, 242

Will Linebacker
    Nico Johnson 6-3, 245

Middle Linebacker
    Dont'a Hightower 6-4, 260

That is four future NFL'ers, Hightower and Upshaw are first round draft potentials for next year.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • I'm a huge Florida State fan, so I'm always hoping they will do well. I think they will go 9-3 losing to Oklahoma, Clemson and BC (they suck on Thursday night games). Beat V-Tech and play in the BCS. That's what I expect. 2012 looks fantastic as well with multiple 5-star DE's committed as well as the #1 QB in the nation being swiped right out from under Satan Saban's nose.

Also a big Michigan fan. Very excited about the normalcy of having brady Hoke (instead of D!ckRod). Looking for Michigan to finally snap the losing streak to MSU and OSU. ND and Nebraska at home are tough games. I'll be realistic and say yet another 8-4 season...maybe 9-3.

South of Heaven...North of Canada
    Oregon will have a great season - not so sure for Michigan 8-4 may be a tad optimistic

• Opening Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • It is safe to say, Auburn will not repeat.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • If you can win 48-7 and still not look good, then Alabama did that today. 5 turnovers. Even with 5 rushing TD's, Bama's running game did not look good. Still don't have a super dominate pass rusher.

On the bright side, no one, I mean no one has better LB's and secondary. Our D-line is good, not great. It was the first game so we have a lot improvements.

Scoreboard Malfunction
    The Ohio State defense is good-

Maybe Stanford is the darkhorse

• JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Goot on the win. Were you at the game?

• << <i>Congrats Goot on the win. Were you at the game? >>

No sir, couldn't really afford the trip so the TV had to do for this one. Going into the game I was just hopeful we would play you guys tight and thankfully we pulled it out. Obviously ND has the more talented team, but they were just way too careless out there with some of those throws and penalties. There is a lot of football left to be played this year, and I wish ND the best. Oh...and Michael Floyd is a beast.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>While I am not conceding yet, the SEC seems to be the best at the start of the season. That is even from top to bottom.

GO DUCKS!!!! >>

LSU is the second highest ranked team in the SEC in the polls.
    In reality, South Carolina will be the 2nd best SEC team this year behind Alabama. Plus, this LSU team is basically a coin flip vs. Florida, Georgia, or Arkansas as well. I personally think Oregon beats LSU be 3+ touchdowns, regardless of who's playing. LSU just isn't that good this year and Jordan Jefferson has never been good. >>

I am amazed at how little people know about college football on these boards. Even though Jordan Jefferson has been a complete trainwreck at quarterback, LSU wins with the athleticism of their o-line and d-line, and one of the best secondaries in the country. They physically manhandled Oregon tongiht, and anyone that follows the SEC should have seen it coming.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Aside from the defending national champs, the SEC west is looking like a monster again.
    Scoreboard Malfunction

<< <i>Aside from the defending national champs, the SEC west is looking like a monster again. >>

yep and Bama and LSU are mirror images of each other, unbelievable talent everywhere but quarterback.

<< <i>

<< <i>Aside from the defending national champs, the SEC west is looking like a monster again. >>

yep and Bama and LSU are mirror images of each other, unbelievable talent everywhere but quarterback. >>

Just because LSU managed to beat Oregon in week 1, don't kid yourself into thinking that there on the same level of Alabama. They aren't.

<< <i>

<< <i>

yep and Bama and LSU are mirror images of each other, unbelievable talent everywhere but quarterback. >>

Just because LSU managed to beat Oregon in week 1, don't kid yourself into thinking that there on the same level of Alabama. They aren't. >>

I certainly believe that they are. They beat them last year, I do not know if they will beat them this year but they very may well do it. Like Alabama they have great talent on both sides of the ball. If you cannot see that then clearly I cannot have a rational discussion with you about college football. They are certainly better than Georgia who you lumped them in with.
  • I'll say this for LSU, bookend tackles 6-6 330+, all three interior 6-3+, 300+. A lot of meat on the O-line for the tigers.

Should make for an interesting game. Both teams could easily be undefeated and potentially 1 vs 2
    Scoreboard Malfunction

<< <i>I'll say this for LSU, bookend tackles 6-6 330+, all three interior 6-3+, 300+. A lot of meat on the O-line for the tigers.

Should make for an interesting game. Both teams could easily be undefeated and potentially 1 vs 2 >>

exactly. I could not agree more.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    Tough to draw too many conclusions after one week. Let's give it a few before we getting too ahead of ourselves. Oregon looked bad more than LSU looked great. I didn't watch much else. Sorry to see Utah State choke away that game against Auburn. No matter how good or bad Auburn may be this year it would have been a HUGE win for the Aggies and I got a few USU Aggie alums in my family.
  • Well LSU jumped Bama in the pole, LSU #2 Bama #3. After beating a top 5 team the way they did, I can't fault the voters.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
    Oregon looked bad more than LSU looked great. Agreed

I thought the game was over after the LSU Special teams TD- that was a defining moment in the game. Oregon can not expect to win big games by committing costly turnovers.

What was the longest LSU play from scrimage? I thought it was 29 yards

I am not trying to take away from LSU- They played to win and deserved to win but did they manhandle Oregon? Not really- Oregon self destructed

• cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll say this for LSU, bookend tackles 6-6 330+, all three interior 6-3+, 300+. A lot of meat on the O-line for the tigers.

Should make for an interesting game. Both teams could easily be undefeated and potentially 1 vs 2 >>

I am a huge South Carolina fan and I am even afraid to say that this might be our year. We have the #1 RB in the SEC in Lattimore, the #1 WR in Jefferies and a 5th year senior QB and our defense isn't going to be bad. I specifically watched our freshman DE Clowney (#1 HS senior last year) and he is going to be a stud. He was all over the field. He kinda reminds me of Jullius Peppers but he has a long way to go to get to that level.

Also, adding Ellington to the team (basketball point guard) gives us a legitimate return game and he will be in for the Wildcat. Also, we have a favorable schedule this year. No Alabama or LSU. Our toughest games will be @Georgia (this week but we should win), @Miss St., @Arkansas and home against Auburn. It's not crazy to think we could be undefeated by the time the SEC championship comes. But then again, we are South Carolina and seem to screw it up. Remember Navy in 1980. we were #3 in the nation, undefeated and had go to Navy to win and beat Clemson the next week. The #1 and 2 teams lose and Navy beats us. We have never forgotten that game. Oh yeah, we play them in two weeks (first time since the 1980 game). We will either crush them or be disappointed again.

My prediction - USC vs Alabama in the SEC championship with the Ole Ball Coach winning. USC beating Oklahoma in the BCS Championship game.

Mark

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just because LSU managed to beat Oregon in week 1, don't kid yourself into thinking that there on the same level of Alabama. They aren't. >>

I certainly believe that they are. They beat them last year, I do not know if they will beat them this year but they very may well do it. Like Alabama they have great talent on both sides of the ball. If you cannot see that then clearly I cannot have a rational discussion with you about college football. They are certainly better than Georgia who you lumped them in with. >>

LSU's offense is still way too ugly to get to the BCS. Like last year, they have athletes everywhere, but no gameplan or rythem on offense. You could say that LSU wins with great defense.....but Alabama's defense is better than thiers too. I'm just not sure what kind of advantage LSU has over Bama that would cause me to think they could win. Coaching certainly not better either. I never said LSU was a bad team, but I just don't see them continuing to win with the offensive weapons they put on the field and lack of a real offensive gameplan. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the best thing that could happen in college football would be to have all non SEC teams simply fold and not play at all (or drop to the next lower level of play).

That way the quality of college football would not be tarnished or diluted by the inferior brand of football played outside of the SECimage
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I like watching SEC football. Outside of the NFL, they're the best teams money can buy.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand Cam Newton took a cut in pay to go to the NFL.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably the best thing that could happen in college football would be to have all non SEC teams simply fold and not play at all (or drop to the next lower level of play).

That way the quality of college football would not be tarnished or diluted by the inferior brand of football played outside of the SECimage >>

Yep, Georgia sure looked dominant this weekend image

Tabe

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably the best thing that could happen in college football would be to have all non SEC teams simply fold and not play at all (or drop to the next lower level of play).

That way the quality of college football would not be tarnished or diluted by the inferior brand of football played outside of the SECimage >>

Yep, Georgia sure looked dominant this weekend image

Tabe >>

This was technically a neutral site game and I don't know who was considered home vs. away.....but Mark Richt was 24-1 at home vs. non-SEC teams coming in to this game. I'll give Boise all the credit in the world for that win- they looked great. But if you're gonna try to point the finger at Richt or Georgia as some type of weak link in the SEC, I don't think you really want to go there.

• << <i>Probably the best thing that could happen in college football would be to have all non SEC teams simply fold and not play at all (or drop to the next lower level of play).

I note a little jealousy. Why be such a hater?

The SEC has won the last five years and has a very good shot at six in a row. Is it wrong to say that? Did I offend you by making a factual statement?

Is your anger rooted in the fact that the SEC has established itself as a premiere conference?

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LodiBrewFan.

No hater here. I am not a big fan of college football (prefer basketball and the NFL). I grew up in Denver so I rooted for the Colorado Buffalos and Air Force Academy Falcons as a kid. Both programs have had some success, but neither one will be viewed as a premier program.

The SEC is the dominant conference in college football. Simple truth, just sayin.

<< <i>I like watching SEC football. Outside of the NFL, they're the best teams money can buy. >>

It's a good thing Ohio State is always on the up and up huh RB.
  • I will concede that some of us SEC fans may have gotten a little too big headed for our own good. A lot of that is rooted in our deep pride associated with our teams and conference. I openly root for SEC teams when they play out of conference.

The pride we all take in our schools is really what makes this so much fun.

If I was overly terse in my prior post, just disregard. BTW, its bound to happen again before the end of the season. I mean nothing personally, just having a little fun on a message board.

In closing,

Roll Tide!
    Scoreboard Malfunction

<< <i>The Ohio State defense is good-

Maybe Stanford is the darkhorse >>

care to update your position on the OSU defense? 22 points by Toledo already
    no

• Good win for Alabama today. Happy Valley is always a hard place to play.

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Effing ND CHOKE!!!
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Effing ND CHOKE!!! >>

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here ya go Jeremy, a music video to lift your spirits:

Spirit-lifting music!

Tabe

<< <i>Good win for Alabama today. Happy Valley is always a hard place to play. >>

very good win. Very surprized by the Auburn win, will be very interested to see how Miss State responds Thurs night against LSU.
  • Just beat the razorbacks handly. Defense is looking speacial this year.
    Scoreboard Malfunction