Home U.S. Coin Forum

1962-D "Wildly" Toned Franklin Half Dollar From My Son Justin's Collection

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
Error holder too (the coin is a 1962-D, not a 1962-P). It looks like it was purchased by Justin from an auction in September, 2005. Since that time, Justin became a chemistry major at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and is studying, among other things, "thin film interference." He hopes to fully understand the natural toning process and the forces which transform a simple tone-free surface into something numismatically atristic. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Error holder too (the coin is a 1962-D, not a 1962-P). It looks like it was purchased by Justin from an auction in September, 2005. Since that time, Justin became a chemistry major at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and is studying, among other things, "thin film interference." He hopes to fully understand the natural toning process and the forces which transform a simple tone-free surface into something numismatically atristic. Wondercoin.

image >>

Looks EZ Baked to me....but, I love the colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty colors, but I think NGC blew it on that coin.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldbully: Then, the up to (8) years tuition I am paying will have been even BETTER well spent!! image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Goldbully: Then, the up to (8) years tuition I am paying will have been even BETTER well spent!! image

Wondercoin >>

Dear Wondercoin,

You've got a major point in this discussion!!! image

GB
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was baked or atd after being slabbed?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd like to know what the guys at NGC were smoking.

Congratulations to your son doing a chemistry major. Our country desperately needs more grads with technical training/skills.

Mkman- It was that "wild" back in 05 at the time of the auction. I also seem to recall that a second coin surfaced (not quite as wild as this one though in my view) and was also auctioned off a short time after the sale of Justin's coin (by a different auction house if memory serves me right). That coin sold in very spirited bidding and then I seem to recall it found itself in a major Franklin dealer's inventory with a huge asking price. I do not know what ever became of that coin? Perhaps a board member here might know.

Wondercoin

P.S. I just looked and could not find anything in the Heritage archives.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Who cares if it's AT, if you think it's pretty and you like it that's all that matters." I learned that right here on this board. Thanks CU!image

Bear had one years ago that might have been similar. I can't remember for sure.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    Stman- Absolutely!

When Justin bought this coin in 2005, he was just 13 years old. He LOVED this coin and made the decision on his own to purchase it. He spent a huge sum of money for it as a 13 year old kid. Today, on his Summer break from college, he pulled his coin out of the bank, admired it, and snapped some pics of it. I asked him if I could post his pics so that the coin forum could engage in a healthy discussion about the coin (which I knew would be coming). He was fine with that. He realizes he owns a "controversial" coin. But, he still enjoys it greatly all the same. I asked him today if he would consider selling it and he said, flatly, "no."

Wondercoin thanks for the extra info. This coin is wildly colored like the one
    Aurora borealis has, his is pcgs slabbed

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

• << <i>Mkman- It was that "wild" back in 05 at the time of the auction. I also seem to recall that a second coin surfaced (not quite as wild as this one though in my view) and was also auctioned off a short time after the sale of Justin's coin (by a different auction house if memory serves me right). That coin sold in very spirited bidding and then I seem to recall it found itself in a major Franklin dealer's inventory with a huge asking price. I do not know what ever became of that coin? Perhaps a board member here might know.

Wondercoin

P.S. I just looked and could not find anything in the Heritage archives. >>

I recall R&I having some intense Frankins a few years back. According to Rick, they came from a mining town with a high concentration of sulfur in the air.

<< <i>

<< <i>Mkman- It was that "wild" back in 05 at the time of the auction. I also seem to recall that a second coin surfaced (not quite as wild as this one though in my view) and was also auctioned off a short time after the sale of Justin's coin (by a different auction house if memory serves me right). That coin sold in very spirited bidding and then I seem to recall it found itself in a major Franklin dealer's inventory with a huge asking price. I do not know what ever became of that coin? Perhaps a board member here might know.

Wondercoin

I recall R&I having some intense Frankins a few years back. According to Rick, they came from a mining town with a high concentration of sulfur in the air. >>

I've seen two of the three coins that, "were from a mining town". Let's just say that I'm not interested in purchasing them at any price above graysheet for their grades.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mkman- It was that "wild" back in 05 at the time of the auction. I also seem to recall that a second coin surfaced (not quite as wild as this one though in my view) and was also auctioned off a short time after the sale of Justin's coin (by a different auction house if memory serves me right). That coin sold in very spirited bidding and then I seem to recall it found itself in a major Franklin dealer's inventory with a huge asking price. I do not know what ever became of that coin? Perhaps a board member here might know.

Wondercoin

I recall R&I having some intense Frankins a few years back. According to Rick, they came from a mining town with a high concentration of sulfur in the air. >>

I've heard that story before.....gotta love the stories like that..... image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Mitch, thanks for the give away!! image

Nice coin.... I like it with or without controversy!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Looks like it's got a shot at FBL.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that was from 'a mining town', I would wager all the canaries in that town died......image Cheers, RickO
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats AT all the way..................
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a "Wow!", controversial coin.

Wondercoin, what is your philosophy on purchasing such a coin as this? (I know your son purchased this particular example) Specifically, a wild toner blessed by a major TPG that is atypical for the date/mm? Only if you think it is MA? NT? Dont worry, be Happy?
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Highly suspect color and therefore undeserving of the obvious "bump" for color gradewise.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations to your son doing a chemistry major. Our country desperately needs more grads with technical training/skills. >>

Amen!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Is there a chance that he has some pix from when he bought it? Side by side comparisons would be interesting.
    Paul
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Congratulations to your son doing a chemistry major. Our country desperately needs more grads with technical training/skills. >>

Amen! >>

Nerd image

...as the son and brother of chemistry majors, I'm allowed to say that.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    Cool coin..i love it!
    But as cool as the coin is, it pales compared to young Justin..
    I have had the oppty to spend a bit of time with him and cant imagine
    anything but fantastic in his future..
    Bruce Scher
  • Thats a really sick coin!!! NT all the way!
    Thanks Bruce (and others). Justin finished up his first year with about a 3.7 gpa, which is especially impressive for all the Chemistry and Math classes he had to take (6 in all) during his first year (Jeremy should know)! I trust your son is doing well at Stanford ... talk about another kid we all can be very proud of (and let's throw Jeremy into that group even though he dislikes Justin's coin)!! And, Bruce... my daughter is now over at Univ. of CA, San Diego and has been doing great. She has had a goal to help people with eating disorders since she was a kid and so she is a psychology major over there. Anyway, back to coin talk ...

I was speaking last night with one of the top Franklin collectors and what was interesting from the conversation was that he mentioned that he had only heard of 2 or 3 "wildly" toned Franklins of this caliber coming out of that "mining town" after all these years. Which has me personally wondering ... if true, why is that the case? Anyone with information on this?

AngryTurtle... great question. Throughout my (20)+ years of collecting nicely toned Washington quarters, I have, here and there, stepped out and purchased (either through auction or privately) a coin that I just was not 100% sure about, because the coin "spoke to me" at the time (I think Bruce could probably comment on this point too). Five years, ten years later, the coin might still be singing a sweet song to me in the collection, or "speaking a different language" if you know what I mean! If you look at the 1959-P Washington Quarter thread on the US Coin Forum now, you will see a coin I recently posted from my collection that in no way shape, or form fits the bill for what a 1959-P dated quarter should look like (color-wise). Now, five to ten years later, that coin still "sings a very sweet song" to me in my personal collection. I have one or two others that I don't understand why I even bought them ten years back as they are speaking a different language to me today (even though they are still slabbed as top pops by PCGS or NGC and for some reason I can't seem to part with them to this day... perhaps my daughter will be able to figure that "problem" out when she completes her studies!!) You mature as a collector - right? And, this isn't to say Justin made a mistake at all buying this particular coin when he was a 13 year old boy, because I asked him just yesterday if he wanted to sell it (and possibly use the funds towards a neat new car like nearly all 19 year boys aspire to get) and he told me he still loved his purchase and wanted to keep it. Who needs a car on the UCSB campus anyway!!

Wondercoin
    "Is there a chance that he has some pix from when he bought it? Side by side comparisons would be interesting."

pmac - Justin left the auction sticker on the coin. It looks like it was the Sept. 2005 Superior sale. I am not sure I have that catalog any more. Perhaps someone on the boards does and can send me a pic of the coin from the catalog.

Wondercoin
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who cares if it's AT, if you think it's pretty and you like it that's all that matters. >>

There's a bit more to it than that. AT vs. NT matters, as does the slab and whether it looked like that when it was slabbed.

Regardless, it is a very vibrant Frankie, especially for being slabbed.

Thanks for sharing it!
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    PawPaul hasn't replied? Did he slip on his drool trying to reply! LOL
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Mitch,

Since your son's name is Justin, is the Justyz Collection on the slab something he added as a 13 year old or is the name in red letters part of NGC's Slabbing?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

<< <i>

<< <i>Who cares if it's AT, if you think it's pretty and you like it that's all that matters. >>

There's a bit more to it than that. AT vs. NT matters, as does the slab and whether it looked like that when it was slabbed.

Thanks for sharing it! >>

I see you chose to only quote part of what I said. The rest of what I said kinda says my feelings on the subject.

<< <i>PawPaul hasn't replied? Did he slip on his drool trying to reply! LOL >>

My understanding is that he got the boot from the PCGS boards.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having some understanding of the various chemical makeups for the different colors displayed, how some colors are of thicker or thinner crusts than others, their progress of formation when oxidation takes place. From green to red patina, there are natural external influences that cause coins to tone the way they do. Becoming familiar with how natural toning takes place helps the viewer accept or reject the toning.
    Personally, I couldn't say one way or another with 75% accuracy but I do know that toning such as the OP's coin is possible. If I were able to say it was AT, than I better be able to back it up with some sound reasoning so others will know why I would make such a statement.
    I also want to add that it's impossible to tell unless you have the coin under some high magnification to see how the toning progressed in the molecules of the metal. Which could show several layers of colors on the surface, in the various ways the coin is tilted, another way to tell if it's natural.

How's that for my 2 cents?

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks for sharing it! >>

I see you chose to only quote part of what I said. The rest of what I said kinda says my feelings on the subject. >>

The part I quoted from you appeared to be a quote from someone else since you had it in quotes and since I just felt like addressing that, I thought it was appropriate.

However, I don't mind replying to your comments as well:

<< <i>"Who cares if it's AT, if you think it's pretty and you like it that's all that matters." I learned that right here on this board. Thanks CU! >>

Are there any AT situations that stand out? If so, I'm interested to hear of them as I'm always interested to hear of sophisticated AT that fools the TPGs.

<< <i>Bear had one years ago that might have been similar. I can't remember for sure. >>

I'm not familiar with Bear's coin and you didn't comment further so I didn't have any comment here; however I am curious to learn more. Was it a slabbed, proven AT, coin?
    Zoins, You took my post way too serious. Did you not see the little winkie? I know you like to debate these things, but yes, I have seen many folks on here through the years not care if a coin is AT just as long as they think it's "pretty." And the statement I wrote has been said many times through the years, hence, me saying I learned it right here. Do you really think I'm that naive? LMAO Wait. don't answer that because apparently you do.
    stman, I'll work on being less serious image

I actually wasn't replying specifically to you but just commenting on the general statement. There was also no desire to imply you believed the quote you had provided. image

However, if Bear's coin was similar in toning and proven AT, I'm curious to hear of it. Perhaps, Bear will comment as well.
    Zoins, I said.......

<< <i>Bear had one years ago that might have been similar. I can't remember for sure. >>

I said might have been similar, I can't remember for sure. Sorry, no juicy details. image

Heck, I'm not saying the OP coin is AT, and I certainly didn't say Bears former coin was either. Now would I touch either one? L NO! image

Please don't ask me why not. Heh Heh

<< <i>Sorry, no juicy details. image >>

Too bad. It might be fun to have a catalog of controversial coins and their stories. Imagine if there were a Numismatic Enquirer image
    Ron: Neither. At my request, Justin simply edited out the serial number when he posted the pics of his coin and replaced it with the name he gave to his collection of coins.

Good post Leo!

Wondercoin

Wondercoin, do you know how much your son paid for that coin?

Off topic, pawpaul got banned? Anyone know why? Wow doubt we will see him ats seeing how much
    he dislikes ngc.

• frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Here's another 1962-D NGC MS66* that sold in a Jan. 2006 Heritage auction. Wonder if this came from the same "mining town"?

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope Justin had a chance to read sunnywood's posts on toning. They were fascinating and solidly science based.
    Franklnlvr - Thanks for finding that Heritage coin. Hard to say if there is a connection as Justin's coin is so much more vibrant and colorful.

Wondercoin
    Mkman123 - I do not recall the cost off the top of my head. And, there is no easy way to pull up old Superior prices.

Wondercoin

We tracked down the auction catalog from the sale where Justin purchased his 1962-D Franklin. That sale had a near complete collection of lovely toned Franklin Half Dollars in it. That top pop 1960-D Franklin in the sale pictured here (Lot 3956) fetched more than $6,000 in the auction. Justin's coin in "spirited bidding" fetched a little over $3,000. Justin did not want to pay over $2,000 (which was all the money he had at that time), but you know how that goes. Dad chipped in the difference. I guess Justin owes me 33% of the sales price whenever he sells it! Glad I had him do the research!! image

Wondercoin
    The more I look at that coin the more I like it.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I was speaking last night with one of the top Franklin collectors and what was interesting from the conversation was that he mentioned that he had only heard of 2 or 3 "wildly" toned Franklins of this caliber coming out of that "mining town" after all these years. Which has me personally wondering ... if true, why is that the case? Anyone with information on this?

Wondercoin >>

W.C. - Your Franklin friend is right, there were 3 "mining town" coins. They are however, dated 1960-D and not the coins in your post. There are a couple of strings where these coins were specifically disussed, including the story behind them.

When your 1962-Ds came out, I recall 2 of them surfacing. I'm pretty sure I had the other one in hand and took some pics of it. I'll dig into my old computer and see if the pic is there.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
    "W.C. - Your Franklin friend is right, there were 3 "mining town" coins. They are however, dated 1960-D and not the coins in your post".

Thanks for that information! I would love to see the other 62-D if you can dig up scans. So, no canary died in the town where Justin's coin came from ... what a relief! image

Wondercoin
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Wondercoin- Nice coin!!, i bet if placed for sale a few would be interested in taking the coin home with them. Getting the wallet out and adding to what ever my son is interested in buying seems to happen on a regular basis around my house. LOL I think most of the time i cause that by suggesting something nicer or better. I am glad that i am able to do that for my son.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Real toning or not it looks nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file