Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

ok everyone, im all EXCITED!!!

Just got off the phone with a guy I was put in touch with through another guy I know. He is 60 years old and has a collection of
cards from when he was younger. When I was talking to him he was trying to describe what he had and what years.
He said he had 3 sets of the brown bordered cards from the 60's (1962) and another box full of extras. He said the 1st card
in the extra box was maris ( Maris is card #1) and he had 5 or 6 of them. Also described were 1961's and 1965's. Topps red/blue
back 1951 complete sets. 1950 and 51 bowman cards. 1952 bowman cards inc Mays. 1953 topps stuff. It goes on and on and on!!!
He named star card after star card ... I asked what condition was on most of this stuff. Now this coming from a guy that doesnt
know how to grade cards im sure, he says they look like they are in great condition for the most part. Most of the stuff looks sharp.

I will see this stuff Saturday and I cant wait! I will be going to his house to look things over. He is not 100% sure if he wants to sell
so we shall see what happens. If the condition and quality is there, I will make a big offer image

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook

Comments

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How great would it be if when you got there he pulled out binder after binder of 1988 Donruss. image

Edited to add: Great = great practical joke.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any hoarder of 62's is A-OK in my book!

Good luck with the woodies!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    That would be amazing! Looking forward to hearing how it went.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good luck! Hope the cards are what you are hoping for and that he accepts your offer!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    In my experience, 'not 100% sure I want to sell' is a code for 'I'd like to have this collection appraised for free'.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Good luck with the woodies! >>

This may be the only hobby in the world where you could say this to another man and be guaranteed that he won't be offended. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    nice--hope it turns out well for you.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show up to the guy's house with a bunch of fat slob virgins, videotape the encounter, and trash the guy's collection. Then offer him about 10% of wholesale for the lot. That my friend is a proven formula.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Good luck, I hope he doesnt ask for book value, many non-collectors or used to be's..... will over value the common 1950-60s Topps cards.... and undervalue the regional oddball rare stuff.

too bad it wasnt 1981.... you could have got all that for $300. image

I bought many a shoebox of 1950-60 cards for less than $100 back then, many partial sets with odd numbers of dups (I remember one collection had 8 1969 Clemente's and no Mays Aaron or Mantle). Another had 3 1953 Paiges, 2 Mantles and 2 Mays.

It always helped when you dad was a grocery store manager who loved to chat it up with customers about his sons collecting image
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>Show up to the guy's house with a bunch of fat slob virgins, videotape the encounter, and trash the guy's collection. Then offer him about 10% of wholesale for the lot. That my friend is a proven formula. >>

Tom,

What if he had an unopened case of 1977 OPC wax boxes. I beat you'd be really excited for that too!!! image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck...but just a feeling that he's just looking to show off...and unless you overwhelm him with an offer, he isn't gonna sell...but what the yell...to me it would be fun just to go there and see the cards, and who knows, make him a nice offer and see what happens...maybe you'll get lucky.
  • BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Wow ... Awsome..keep us posted
    1964 Topps Football
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Sounds like a great weekend in the making.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    So you're saying he has no 77 OPC?

Then it's all worthless crap.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck! Considering his age, sounds very much like he might be willing to part with his collection.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    The guy doesnt work. From the conversation, I dont think he knows what he has. I also dont think
    he knows about PSA grading. If the stuff he has is in great condition, I think with a big
    offer, he would jump on it. The way this whole thing got set up was from me pushing for me to
    get in touch with this guy. Once I got his phone number, I was fired up because I was told he had
    loads of stuff from the 50's and 60's. There were so many other things he was trying to describe to me..
    He has Play Ball cards, was talking about the tv style cards (55 bowmans).

I had a card store from 1990 to 1997 and I had collections come in all the time. I made some big scores.
    It was easy back then because with the store front, customers came to me just about every day selling.
    Its much harder today mostly because of the internet. People can sell things themselves online now.

I have a good feeling about this. Even if the stuff is as good as it sounds, a deal probably will not be
    completed tomorrow. He said he wasnt sure if he was ready to sell or not. I told him I would love to
    see what he had, take notes on his collection and go over it and then make him a offer. He agreed to that.
    My thinking was to just get him to allow me to come over and look at it, then go from there. My feeling is again,
    if his stuff is high end, a big offer will get accepted.

Sorry to say, it doesnt sound like he has any 1977 OPC image

I dont think I will get much sleep tonight!

Will be looking at this stuff around 11-1130 am central time zone
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is this....when someone thinks they have decent stuff, maybe even good stuff and you offer some good money....they won't sell because they think you are taking them and if you are already offering some good coin.... then this stuff is worth a fortune- that's the way alot of people think.

I hope this goes well for you.
    I agree. I wouldnt throw my best offer out right away. I figure most people for the most part try and squeeze more money out even if they like the 1st offer...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

I hope he has several of these LINK in high grade!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• pm sent
    PM returned
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Im 30 minutes into my hour and 45 min drive!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• I'm praying that you find a 6 figure collection!!! Bless the visit before you get there... Amen.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I'll be glad to take any nice Killebrews off your hands.

Good luck!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
    Good Luck Tom!!!

I got dibs on any Seaver rookies. image

Collecting:
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck, if you happen to see this post while you are there, take some pictures and share with us thanks.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

On my way back home now. I will give details when I get to my computer. Let me just say this though..
    The collection was unreal and this guy has no idea what he has.
    1963 Topps cards look like they just cam out of the pack. Some still had white stuff from the gum on them...
    Yes he had the Rose (looks like a easy 8!) And centered nice!

More when I get home
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Anyone know what 1962 bobble heads go for? He has the mantle and maris
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Buy anything?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know what 1962 bobble heads go for? He has the mantle and maris >>

If this is the right item, this Maris sold for $264

Auction
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    You've got me excited about the cards and the next post is about Bobble Heads.image
  • Come on something else besides that...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    Just got home. Will write up what went down, gonna take a few minutes...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Looking forward to it. image

Collecting:
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    i hope you have some pics to share as well!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Pics please!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    Ok guys, this is how it went...

Got there with my son and he let us in and we sat down in his dining room where all the boxes were.
    1st box he handed me were 1962's. He had probably 600-800 singles. He did not have sets. The singles
    in this box were broken down into 100's. Everything was there from Mantles, koufax, Maris, Clemente and
    multiples on everyone! Overall grade had a big range from vg/ex to some nrmt. I expected this on the 1962's
    with the brown borders. I did see a couple Witt, 1 may have a shot at a 8?!

The next 2 boxes I looked at were all mixed with 1961's,1962's and 61/62 Post cards. Ive never seen so many Post cards
    in my life! Post cards, mixed condition, didnt really pay much attention to those but he did have all the stars and multiples inc Mantle.
    The 1961's and 62 Topps in these 2 boxes were just mixed and in no order. Again lots of star power Condition anywhere from vg/ex to some nrmt.
    I was taking notes as I went along because we went into this knowing a deal would not be completed today. Today we agreed
    for me to look things over to get an idea what he had. On the phone he said he wasnt sure he was ready to sell but after talking
    with him today, I think he is ready and willing. Whats holding this deal right now, is he is going away for 2 weeks and when he gets
    back, he said he will be calling me.
    Anyways, here are some of the star cards I seen with qty..
    1961 topps yaz-2, koufaz-9, banks--2,musial-2, Marichal-2, clemente-4, mantle
    1962 topps koufax-4, maris 6, musial 4, clemente 4, mathews 7, banks 4, brook robinson 6, frank robinson 5, spahn 4
    g.perry, b.williams 5, mantle 2, mantle #318 5, aaron 5, mantle allstar 2,
    Also, I went through 2 more mixed boxes later and found many more of these cards and stopped adding to those totals!!!!

At this point I was excited but didnt see the high grade stuff I had hoped for until I got the box of 1963's in front of me.
    IM not sure but he may have seen my jaw drop! These cards are the nicest I have seen and I have handled many 1963's over the years.
    He had high numbers, semi high numbers as well. The Rose was sweeeeet! He had the Stargell a bit o/c. All the stars were there and
    these cards are pack fresh, clemente,banks,koufax,mantle was off in condition,2 yaz,mccovey,aaron it goes on and on and on.
    1963 Topps football looked the same. Many cards had the gum dust and were pack fresh! Again, loaded with stars and I see many 9's!
    1964's and 65's looked the same as the 63's, pack fresh in good qty loaded with stars. Cards were well centered and I see some 10's here for sure!

Other stuff of note that he had...

1965 topps embossed cards, pack fresh
    Topps coind, he had a good amount of these
    he had a box full of 50's stuff. 1951 topps blue and redbacks
    30-40 1952 topps cards for the most part looked exmt.
    he had a 1952 bowman willie mays that looked vg (o/c with a bit corner wear)
    1953-55 dorman mickey mantle postcard!

he had 2-3 hundred 1963 fleers.
    there were small amounts of 1958 and 59 topps with nothing big.
    He did have around 20-30 1957 topps that looked unreal pack fresh!

all years above, there were loads of all star cards,leader cards etc that had mantle, mays,koufax aaron etc (multiples!)

After I was done, I told him I was very interested in buying his collection and hoped we could talk about when he gets back
    but I wanted to make sure he was ready to sell. He said yes when he returns. He said he will call me when he gets back.
    The conversation and the time went by well. I have my fingers crossed on this because those 63,64 and 65's graded
    should bring in some huge money!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

I did not take pics. I wasnt about to put on a show in front of him.
    If/when I get this stuff, pics will be all over the place
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Great story. Thanks for sharing. Hope it works out for you. I'm sure you'll be disappointed if he decides not to sell. Just take a deep breath and if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, then perhaps it could down the road. At least he has your number.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think this guy realizes what the true value of his collection is, at least ballpark?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Sounds like a very positive experience. I hope it all works out for you.

<< <i>Do you think this guy realizes what the true value of his collection is, at least ballpark? >>

I did notice that he had a old price sheet on the 61's and 62's but it was old.
    I could tell he doesnt know anything about condition. Nothing was protected.
    I could also tell this stuff hasnt been touched in years! He did tell
    me his friend that he collected with when he was a kid sold his collection
    about 10 years ago for 8 grand. He said his friend had much more than him and
    had many more mantle cards.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Great job. Here's hoping for good news in a couple of weeks. image

Collecting:
    Just looked at my notes again. Here are some other things I had written down..

1964 topps...
    banks 7, mantle 3, berra 3, Tony C. rookies 5, aaron, yaz 3, koufax 2, AL Bombers 5, maris, moccovey 2, stargell 3
    1963 fleer...
    yaz, clemente 2, spahn 2, koufax 2, mays 2

1960 topps yaz rookie

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Maybe 4 or 5 grand if he is going off his friends price? Start at 3K.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    I will be offering more than 3K, I figure I could get around 3k alone if the Rose pulls a PSA8 which I think it will, the Mays 52 bowman and mantle dorman postcard alone..
    imageimageimage
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Did he initially tell you what he is looking to get for the cards?

or did he ask you for a figure?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...