Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The beginning of the end for incadescents..."Traditional incandescent bulbs on their way out st

PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
Just 100W for now...but the rest will follow...

"Traditional incandescent bulbs on their way out starting Jan. 1"

Grading might get a bit more interesting/creative!

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next we'll see an influx of antique light bulbs for sale on eBay.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought professional graders used Halogen lights.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I thought professional graders used Halogen lights. >>

I thought halogens were waaay to harsh to grade by.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the new LED lights? Anyone try those yet?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My coin desk lamp is an LED. I like it.
  • Options
    I wonder if the government will tax these like gas image
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    If true, it's way past time to get rid of these things, though I will say they should still make these for special applications--and that I prefer incandescent light. They do gobble up a ton of energy, though.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Those old bulbs basically produce more heat than light. Very inefficient. I've started replacing many bulbs throughout the house to CFL/LED. Still have a ways to go though.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we buy them all up now? Maybe they'll be colletor items here shortlyimage I don't use them anyways, they're way to hot & cost more to run.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those old bulbs basically produce more heat than light. Very inefficient. . >>

So if you are currently heating your home, would there be no inefficiency? Food for thought.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife comes home with "boxes" of em' . Looks like they will last the rest of our lives.image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    The mini flourescents contain mercury. As of now, there still is no official recycling effort to prevent them from ending up poisoning landfills for years to come. The recycling costs should be included in the purchase price instead of dumping those costs on taxpayers years after the profits have been booked. Though the mercury released is a small percentage when compared to the mercury released from coal fired power plants, that is not an excuse to not deal with the problem.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mini flourescents contain mercury. As of now, there still is no official recycling effort to prevent them from ending up poisoning landfills for years to come. The recycling costs should be included in the purchase price instead of dumping those costs on taxpayers years after the profits have been booked. Though the mercury released is a small percentage when compared to the mercury released from coal fired power plants, that is not an excuse to not deal with the problem. >>

LEDs will address the mercury problem in CFLs. From the article:

<< <i>"The long-term solution will be LEDs," predicts Home Depot's Paulsen, noting they're mercury-free and last up to 25 times as long as traditional incandescents. Paulsen says LED prices are falling fast. >>

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've already started to swap out all types of bulbs in favor of LED at my household.
  • Options
    I have a few LED's in lieu of halogens. Boy, they can be brutally expensive though! And, they're just LED's!!!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted two links to articles in an earlier thread about CFLs. It would seem that the CFL is going to be a transitional technology while LED lighting continues being developed.

Linky 1

Linky 2 >>

• Options
    In Texas in July, we don't want to heat our homes!
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought professional graders used Halogen lights. >>

I HATE Halogen lights. They are too darn bright for me.

Over the years I've not fooled very often, so I can live without Halogen lights.

It's it a shame that the government finds it necessary to dictate to people what they should buy when it not harmful like drugs or other bad stuff? I've got no use for "BIG BROTHER."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I switched several years ago to CFL's all through the house, and I have a couple of LED lights but I still don't see the output/price being very favorable for them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The mini flourescents contain mercury. As of now, there still is no official recycling effort to prevent them from ending up poisoning landfills for years to come. The recycling costs should be included in the purchase price instead of dumping those costs on taxpayers years after the profits have been booked. Though the mercury released is a small percentage when compared to the mercury released from coal fired power plants, that is not an excuse to not deal with the problem. >>

<< <i>"The long-term solution will be LEDs," predicts Home Depot's Paulsen, noting they're mercury-free and last up to 25 times as long as traditional incandescents. Paulsen says LED prices are falling fast. >>

>>

Does this then mean by "In the long term" that currently or previously there is/was a problem ? In short , that problem exists ? I remember when the CFL's were introduced and the advice if one got broke was close to Hazmat work.
    Lighting at our house isnt under my jurisdiction, she wants the old kind and she gets what she wants , one of the many keys to a happy home : )
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Does this then mean by "In the long term" that currently or previously there is/was a problem ? In short , that problem exists ? I remember when the CFL's were introduced and the advice if one got broke was close to Hazmat work.
    Lighting at our house isnt under my jurisdiction, she wants the old kind and she gets what she wants , one of the many keys to a happy home : ) >>

Nowhere close to Hazmat. There are people that wish to squash the move to CFL's and use scare tactics in order to blow it out of proportion. The amount of mercury is miniscule. If you think breaking one of those is bad, how about breaking one of the traditional thermometers!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I have enough to last me for the rest of my life so I am not concerned.
  • Options
    The chances of me breaking a thermometer Vs breaking a CFL bulb though are not in the same league though. Im neither for them or against them , i dont think they give as good a light watt for watt though.The information i heard was if say i broke one , im supposed to leave the room and not breathe whatever came out.Cant pick it up with bare hands , which shouldnt be done with any glass but we've all done it.In light of that isnt it safe to say there is a higher hazard with CFL than the old bulbs ?
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i recently read that these new swirl bulbs can and do create health problems just from the thing being on! image

GE, they bring good things to.............................image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Wikipedia, it appears you don't want CFLs breaking anywhere in or around your home. If one breaks on your carpet, it may be time to replace it:

<< <i>Special handling instructions for breakage are currently not printed on the packaging of household CFL bulbs in many countries. The amount of mercury released by one bulb can temporarily exceed U.S. federal guidelines for chronic exposure.[55][56] Chronic however, implies that the exposure continues constantly over a long period of time and the Maine DEP study noted that it remains unclear what the health risks are from short-term exposure to low levels of elemental mercury. The Maine DEP study also confirmed that, despite following EPA best-practice cleanup guidelines on broken CFLs, researchers were unable to remove mercury from carpet, and agitation of the carpet — such as by young children playing — created localized concentrations as high as 25,000 ng/m3 in air close to the carpet, even weeks after the initial breakage. Conventional tubular fluorescent lamps have been in commercial and domestic use since the 1930s with little public concern about their handling; these and other domestic products, such as the mercury-in-glass thermometer — now banned by many countries for medical use — contain far more mercury than modern CFLs.[57] >>

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the dangerously powerful EPA.....always looking out for us citizens!!!! image

1.Before cleanup
    *Have people and pets leave the room.
    *Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
    *Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
    *Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb.

2.During cleanup
    *Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
    *Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

3.After cleanup
    *Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
    *If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

EPA Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm stocking up on these wonderful Edison incadescent creations! image
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been stocking up on incandescents.

I can't seem to get a CFl to last more than two or three months. Definitely not worth the money to me.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a few LED's in lieu of halogens. Boy, they can be brutally expensive though! And, they're just LED's!!! >>

Yeah, but they last close to forever.

On another note, I read somewhere that incandescents will still be available from Canada. So besides buying your pharmaceuticals there, you can add light bulbs to the list.
  • Options
    How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb ?

Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a bunch - make me an offer. Better yet, I should break them up so someone ELSE doesn't waste energy. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, a lightening strike on my parents farmhouse three weeks ago resulted in the curly-cue bulbs exploding, literally, the incandescent bulbs still work...image
  • Options

<< <i>FWIW, a lightening strike on my parents farmhouse three weeks ago resulted in the curly-cue bulbs exploding, literally, the incandescent bulbs still work... >>

That's irrelevant. Somebody has already decided for you what kind of light bulbs you will be allowed to use. I'm sure those doing the deciding are really smart people, so it's probably okay. image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the dangerously powerful EPA.....always looking out for us citizens!!!!

You know, clean water. Trivial stuff like that.
  • Options

<< <i>From the dangerously powerful EPA.....always looking out for us citizens!!!!

You know, clean water. Trivial stuff like that. >>

This photo gives me vertigo.
    Quick , call OSHA !
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I've tried several LED bulbs and the cheap ($18) EcoSmart found at Home Depot have been the best, and brightest (for the money) so far.
    They produce a subdued, bright and even light that works great for coin grading.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can I still use my kerosene lamps?
  • Options

<< <i>can I still use my kerosene lamps? >>

Another fours years of this in 2012 we might be glad of those , id be keepin'emimage
  • Options

Iam not only keeping them but buy a few more every week. I don't care what they say.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    All I know is I'm stocking up on incandescents. Hopefully a lifetime supply plus maybe some for the future black market.
    I hate those curly fluorescent bulbs and hate having these things foisted on me by the government even more ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>Iam not only keeping them but buy a few more every week. I don't care what they say. >>

they want to put outlets in your house to monitor and regulate your usage. image

those LED`s are a lil pricy. i think i`ll hold off on them.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love incadescents...............I've tried squiggly bulbs thoughout the house. Wherever, I turn them on I feel like I'm Amish for several seconds. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Lighting at our house isnt under my jurisdiction, she wants the old kind and she gets what she wants , one of the many keys to a happy home : ) >>

Nowhere close to Hazmat. There are people that wish to squash the move to CFL's and use scare tactics in order to blow it out of proportion. The amount of mercury is miniscule. If you think breaking one of those is bad, how about breaking one of the traditional thermometers! >>

READ the freakin instructions on what you have to do if one of those cork-screwed POS with mercury in them breaks in your house. Immediately, you must establish cross ventilation in your house for 15 minutes minimum. You're instructed to leave the room that the broken light is in as well as your house until sufficient cross-ventilation is accomplished (pick up those kids and pets!). Then, you have to glove and mask up to pick up remnants and place them in sealed containers for disposal. These are the MINIMAL safety requirements.

These lights being mandated rank right up there with 1099's for coin sales in terms of government interfering in our lives. Only in this case, government actually jeopardizes our lives.

i'm buying and stockpiling the old lights by the gross.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new "white LEDs" are actually made with similar tech to CFL, which is why the efficiency is not as good as most people expect. A very few of the high end LEDs are true tri-color LEDs, but the majority are blue LEDs with blue-excited fluorescent material glopped over them. This is why they have heatsinks, because they are not very efficient, often less so than CFL. I'm hoping to find a good tri-color LED lamp one day but so far no consumer products use them, too expensive still. Even the "white LED" lamps are pretty expensive, but at least they are coming down to where they are at consumer level pricing.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>All I know is I'm stocking up on incandescents. Hopefully a lifetime supply plus maybe some for the future black market.
    I hate those curly fluorescent bulbs and hate having these things foisted on me by the government even more ! ! !

HH >>

Those curly things do not fit in my overhead lights at all. What am I supposed to do change the light fixtures as well. That's stupid, my light

bulbs have been up there for 10 years without being changed and when they do have to be changed it will be with the old style bulbs for sure.

when all you people start to realize how stupid an idea this is I might be able to sell you a bulb or two at a slightly higher price when you cant

get any thanks to government red tape. I am sick and tired of progressives telling me what to do. It started in the 60's with seat belts.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    CFL are manufactured in only 1 place, and big brother says we must use them... image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options

<< <i>I have been stocking up on incandescents.

I can't seem to get a CFl to last more than two or three months. Definitely not worth the money to me. >>

...i'm not surprised since they're made in china. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

...i remember reading in the ANA grading book, i believe, that coins should be graded by the light of the incandescent

light bulb. SO THERE! image
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...i remember reading in the ANA grading book, i believe, that coins should be graded by the light of the incandescent

light bulb. SO THERE! image >>

I've talked to many of the people that wrote that book.
    Ken pointed out that it was written before many of the new types of light bulbs out there existed and that some of the ones that are out now are "just as good" as incandescent.
    Personally, I don't think that CFL is any good for grading coins.
    I do like LED though, you guys should try it, you may like it better.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    I've been very happy with the LEDs I've installed in my house. I purchased them at Home Depot and the label is EcoSmart. Doing a little more research, I have found out that they are made by a company of out Florida. Not China! go USA!
  • Options
    I already have some CFL's merrily going along for years now. The energy savings can be quite noticeable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file