Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2010 Silver Proof sets!!!

I was looking at Proof roll prices for 2010 Silver Proof sets!

Proof penny rolls $16.00 per roll-------------.32 each
Proof nickel rolls- $35.00 per roll-------------.87 each
Silver Dime rolls- $ 218.00 per roll--------$4.36 each
Silver Quarters--$ 169.95 1/2 roll---------$8.49 each x5 = $42.45
Silver half rolls---$ 295.00 per roll-------$14.75 each
Sac. Dollar rolls---$81.00 25pc.roll--------$3.25 each
President rolls----59.95 20pc. roll---------$2.99 each X4 = $11.96

Each 2010 Silver proof set, broken into rolls is selling for $ 77.96 ?
2010 Proof sets still selling for $ 56.95 on mint site.
Should we load up?

It probably will not last. image

Comments

• Options
    huh?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a bargain compared to doing it the hard way. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are actual sales taking place at these prices?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Are actual sales taking place at these prices? >>

Yes! check Ebay
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are actual sales taking place at these prices? >>

Yes! check Ebay >>

Before you get too excited, net out the Ebay selling charges. Also remember that there is a cost for breaking the holders and putting the coins in tubes so that dealers can place them Dansco type albums for sale. Maybe 2010 will be be good Proof set year, but I would not bet the ranch on it. And if there is a "bubble" it might be just that, gone before you know it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Before you get too excited, net out the Ebay selling charges. Also remember that there is a cost for breaking the holders and putting the coins in tubes so that dealers can place them Dansco type albums for sale. Maybe 2010 will be be good Proof set year, but I would not bet the ranch on it. And if there is a "bubble" it might be just that, gone before you know it. >>

True, I just checked NN for mintage numbers for 2010 Silver proof sets ( 532,306 ) and Still for sale. anyone know if under 600K is low for silver proof sets? if so, they could do real well once they go off sale!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    You can always sell the proof singles at a premium.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>I was looking at Proof roll prices for 2010 Silver Proof sets!

Should we load up?

It probably will not last. image >>

Looks like the half dollars are going for the cheapest of all the coins, relatively. They are still more than what pre-1965 half dollars go for in relation to spot silver.

I remember the 1999 Silver Proof set. It has a nice premium these days, as it was the first year of the series and apparently not many paid attention to it until later. I believe the mintage on the 1999 was just over 800,000. I wonder if the same thing can happen to the 2010 Silver Proof set.
  • Options
    << I remember the 1999 Silver Proof set. It has a nice premium these days, as it was the first year of the series and apparently not many paid attention to it until later. I believe the mintage on the 1999 was just over 800,000. I wonder if the same thing can happen to the 2010 Silver Proof set. >>

Probably not. In 1999 there was no separate Silver Quarters proof set, so the only way to obtain silver quarters for that year was/is to buy the entire Silver Proof set. For 2010, collectors can obtain a silver quarters-only proof set, which reduces demand for the full set.

• Options

<< <i><< I remember the 1999 Silver Proof set. It has a nice premium these days, as it was the first year of the series and apparently not many paid attention to it until later. I believe the mintage on the 1999 was just over 800,000. I wonder if the same thing can happen to the 2010 Silver Proof set. >>

Probably not. In 1999 there was no separate Silver Quarters proof set, so the only way to obtain silver quarters for that year was/is to buy the entire Silver Proof set. For 2010, collectors can obtain a silver quarters-only proof set, which reduces demand for the full set. >>

I got to looking around and found that out, thanks. So the overall mintage of silver proof sets does not include the separate quarter sets.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was looking at Proof roll prices for 2010 Silver Proof sets!

Should we load up?

It probably will not last. image >>

Looks like the half dollars are going for the cheapest of all the coins, relatively. They are still more than what pre-1965 half dollars go for in relation to spot silver.

I remember the 1999 Silver Proof set. It has a nice premium these days, as it was the first year of the series and apparently not many paid attention to it until later. I believe the mintage on the 1999 was just over 800,000. I wonder if the same thing can happen to the 2010 Silver Proof set. >>

Edited to add the Preface that a low mintage was only half the story with the 1999 Silver Proof Sets.

".......the mintage on the 1999 was just over 800,000. I wonder if the same thing can happen to the 2010 Silver Proof set." - Personally, I dont think so as the 1999 Silver Proof Sets had the promise of big buck PR70DCAM coins whereas PR70DCAM for the 2010 seems to be a given grade since production techniques have changed.

Additionally, the 1999 Silver Proof Sets were the ONLY source for the State Quarter Silver Proofs and the State Quarter Series had really ramped up in the 2001/2002 time frame. Once the series completed, prices for that 1999 Silver Proof Set have come down dramatically. It was not unusual for the set to sell for $400, sometimes higher. Now that can be had for $150.

Proof set mintages are directly related to coin demand and since 1999 SHQ were only available in that set, coupled with its low mintages, fueled the demand.

I just don't see that for the 2010 Sets.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    There are only two coins that can`t be found from other sets, the silver Dime & the silver half. the 2011 sets this year where released ahead of the quarter only sets, I wonder if this will effect quarter only set sales?

• Options
    << There are only two coins that can`t be found from other sets, the silver Dime & the silver half. >>

Despite low mintages, most silver dimes and halves dated 2000 or later are worth little more than melt.

• Options

<< <i><< There are only two coins that can`t be found from other sets, the silver Dime & the silver half. >>

Despite low mintages, most silver dimes and halves dated 2000 or later are worth little more than melt. >>

And that's just what I buy them for. Cheap but mint state proof silver.
  • Options
    Lincoln Dollar Proof roll of 20 sells for $122.00
    Sacagawea Proof Roll of 20 sells for $100.00
    Jefferson nickle Proof roll of 40 sells for $22.00
    Lincoln Cent Proof roll of 50 Sells for $ 227.50

These Ebay sales from 2/20 & 21...

The 2010 Proof & silver proofs are selling great by the roll! image
  • Options

<< <i>Lincoln Dollar Proof roll of 20 sells for $122.00
    Sacagawea Proof Roll of 20 sells for $100.00
    Jefferson nickle Proof roll of 40 sells for $22.00
    Lincoln Cent Proof roll of 50 Sells for $ 227.50

These Ebay sales from 2/20 & 21...

The 2010 Proof & silver proofs are selling great by the roll! image >>

If those are average prices it seems like a good opportunity to get some 90% silver at way less than spot after you sell off the clad pieces. image
  • Options

If those are average prices it seems like a good opportunity to get some 90% silver at way less than spot after you sell off the clad pieces. image >>

True and this 2010 proof silver sells for a premium over spot!
  • Options
    If you buy 20 2010 silver proof sets @ $56.95 each = $1,139. If you can sell the clad pieces in rolls of 20 at:

Lincoln Dollar roll of 20 - $120
    Sacagawea roll of 20 - $100
    the three other Presidential dollars (at $70 per roll of 20) - $210
    Jefferson Nickel roll of 20 - $11
    Lincoln cent roll of 20 - $88

It comes out to $529 - $63 in eBay fees = $466. That leaves you with 26.6 ounces in pure silver for $673 or $25.30 per ounce!
  • Options
    2010 Silver Proof Sets ( Update ) Proof roll Prices Divided by piecs in each roll.

2010 Silver Proof set Cost $56.95

Lincoln cent----------------------4.40
    Jefferson Nickel-------------------.77
    Roosevelt Dime-----------------3.84
    Hot springs Silver Quarter----7.80
    Yellow Stone Quarter----------7.80
    Yosemite Quarter---------------7.80
    Grand Canyon Quarter--------7.80
    Mt. Hood Quarter---------------7.80
    Kennedy Half-------------------17.75
    Fillmore Dollar-------------------1.80
    Pierce Dollar---------------------1.80
    Buchanan Dollar----------------1.80
    Lincoln Dollar--------------------3.00
    Sac. Dollar-----------------------4.00

TOTAL $78.16

Just the silver in this set goes above spot for $60.59
  • Options

<< <i> Just the silver in this set goes above spot for $60.59 >>

Silver at spot of $34.38 makes the bullion value of the set $46.01 not anywhere near $60

Premium is much less with the Proof 2010 Quarters at $32.95 and a spot of $31.09
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    There are 41.625 grams of silver in a 2010 proof set. 5 x 6.25 x .9 = 28.125 for the quarters and 12.5 + 2.5 = 15 x .9 = 13.5 grams for the half dollar and the dime. Using 28.3495 grams per ounce I get 1.4628 ounces of silver. Using spot of $34.41 (current as of this post on 3/1/11 at 9:35 AM) I get $50.52 for the silver in the set. Add in the 5 dollars you can just spend, the current value is right at the selling price IMHO. $55.52 is pretty close.

I may have a few rounding issues, but I think this is pretty much on the money. If you think silver is going to hold its price, there will eventually be a premium over the intrinsic value of the set. I will keep the one I have for my proof set run, but watch at this continues on.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Save yourself all that math...try this...just put in the spot price and your done:

Mint coin bullion value
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Just the silver in this set goes above spot for $60.59 >>

Silver at spot of $34.38 makes the bullion value of the set $46.01 not anywhere near $60

Premium is much less with the Proof 2010 Quarters at $32.95 and a spot of $31.09 >>

You miss understood me. The Silver in this set sold recently on Ebay for $60.59... even though spot is cheaper!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some coins are worth collecting, despite market prices for precious metals or economic conditions.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are 41.625 grams of silver in a 2010 proof set. 5 x 6.25 x .9 = 28.125 for the quarters and 12.5 + 2.5 = 15 x .9 = 13.5 grams for the half dollar and the dime. Using 28.3495 grams per ounce I get 1.4628 ounces of silver. Using spot of $34.41 (current as of this post on 3/1/11 at 9:35 AM) I get $50.52 for the silver in the set. Add in the 5 dollars you can just spend, the current value is right at the selling price IMHO. $55.52 is pretty close.

I may have a few rounding issues, but I think this is pretty much on the money. If you think silver is going to hold its price, there will eventually be a premium over the intrinsic value of the set. I will keep the one I have for my proof set run, but watch at this continues on. >>

Why would you use the incorrect conversion from grams to oz? For Troy weight, it's 31.1034768 gm per oz.
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    Melt value for the 2010 Silver Proof set is $ 46.62 with Spot 34.92... Same for all five quarter full proof sets!!

• Options

<< <i>Melt value for the 2010 Silver Proof set is $ 46.62 with Spot 34.92... Same for all five quarter full proof sets!!

image >>

Well then ...... how can that be?? What about the silver half and dime in the pf set...

Try: 46.73 for the full pf set and $31.58 for the 2010 silver quarters (at 34.92 spot)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If these sets come back on sale at the original price, I'm buying.

Is there a good web site that alerts a user to a web page update?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Melt value for the 2010 Silver Proof set is $ 46.62 with Spot 34.92... Same for all five quarter full proof sets!!

image >>

Well then ...... how can that be?? What about the silver half and dime in the pf set...

Try: 46.73 for the full pf set and $31.58 for the 2010 silver quarters (at 34.92 spot) >>

All Silver Proof sets that have 5 Quarters in the set as well as the Half Dollar & dime, have the same
    spot price. the 2009 silver proof sets have an extra silver quarter!
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    By my calculations, for a brief period today, the spot value of the 2010 silver quarter proof sets broke $33 (they were selling for $32.95). Man, I wish I had loaded up on a few more of those sets.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Here's your answer as to the sales halt:

Price review
  • Options
    As of Friday I've got some 2010 silver proof sets on order that say in stock and reserved and credit card has been hit.

No shiping info.

I wonder if they will deliver sets??

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I ordered 4 of the 2010 silver proof sets on 2/28. They shipped 3/7. Maybe yours will ship by the end of the week?
  • Options
    Seems like the thing to do if you have misc. silver coin is to sell the old bags and rolls of silver coins and buy into these.

$57 US Mint cost with $48 in silver proof coins plus 5 proof dollars, along with proof cent and nickel.
  • Options

<< <i>Seems like the thing to do if you have misc. silver coin is to sell the old bags and rolls of silver coins and buy into these.

$57 US Mint cost with $48 in silver proof coins plus 5 proof dollars, along with proof cent and nickel. >>

If only the 2010 Proof sets were still for sales! US mint took them down, Most
    Likely to reprice!
  • Options
    Looks like these have been repriced (unless I missed something, or this has been posted elsewhere).
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like these have been repriced (unless I missed something, or this has been posted elsewhere). >>

Yep! up $8 bucks a set. I loaded up before the price hike. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like these have been repriced (unless I missed something, or this has been posted elsewhere). >>

Yes to both of your questions...And yes ... the "early birds did catch the worms"image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    If the proof clad coin prices hold up (i.e. we do not flood the market)

money can still be made at 64.95. Just not as much.

I also bought a bunch of these sets before the price increase. I haven't started to crack them yet. I will shortly.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Melt for these 2010 proof sets is now about $50.50
    The value of the none silver in these sets makes up
    the difference. If silver gets any higher these are going
    to be easy winners!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Melt for these 2010 proof sets is now about $50.50
    The value of the none silver in these sets makes up
    the difference. If silver gets any higher these are going
    to be easy winners!!!! >>

Taking out the $5.06 in FV coins, means silver will need to hit $38.775 for the set value incl. silver value to be equal to the original issue price. I haven't even bothered to calculate the required silver price for the new issue price.

• Options
    Looks like it is melting time. Get out your fondue pots.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be so quick melting the 2010 silver half and dime....they both are low, low mintage.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    With the reprice, I believe silver needs to hit about $45/oz before the silver content and clad face value = $64.95. Someone correct me if my math is wrong.

However, many of the proof coins do go for decent premiums. Namely the Lincoln cents, Lincoln dollars, Sac Dollars and to some extent the nickels.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    With the current and IMO brief glut of silver proof quarters in OGP on the market I don't see why anyone holding circulated bags of dirty, worn, underweight pre 1965 coins doesn't sell off the circulated stuff and buy into the full weight proof silver in OGP.

The proof silver will track the price of circulated bags but will likely provide a significant numismatic premium if silver drops back 25-50%.

To appreciate difference, stack 40 pre 1965 quarters against 40 proof quarters and compare height and then weigh both.

It will make you a believer................
  • Options
    The problem with modern silver proof quarters is that they are less desirable as barter items. The non-collecting public may have difficulty telling them apart from clad proofs, since the silver ones carry the same designs and dates. Most people are probably not even aware that silver quarters are still being struck.

The same holds true for modern silver proof dimes and halves, as well as modern silver commemorative dollars and halves.

<< Don't be so quick melting the 2010 silver half and dime....they both are low, low mintage. >>

So are many other silver dimes and halves struck in the past 10 years. It doesn't seem to make much difference, many of them are fetching junk silver prices.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with modern silver proof quarters is that they are less desirable as barter items. The non-collecting public may have difficulty telling them apart from clad proofs, since the silver ones carry the same designs and dates. Most people are probably not even aware that silver quarters are still being struck.

The same holds true for modern silver proof dimes and halves, as well as modern silver commemorative dollars and halves.

<< Don't be so quick melting the 2010 silver half and dime....they both are low, low mintage. >>

So are many other silver dimes and halves struck in the past 10 years. It doesn't seem to make much difference, many of them are fetching junk silver prices. >>

Telling silver proof quarters from clad is no problem for even a novice.

Add in OGP and its a no brainer.

All I'm saying is if you hold $100-$1000 bags of circulated 90% you'd be better off with full weight 90% proof or
    same thing for all the uncirculated rolls of 1964 kennedy halves.
  • Options
    what I worry about is someone silver plating the clad proofs and passing them off as 90% silver proofs. Only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what I worry about is someone silver plating the clad proofs and passing them off as 90% silver proofs. Only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already. >>

..................................................................................................................

If you were buying them basically for bullion content and in quantities i.e. $100-$1000 face, it would be easy enough do some random spot checks.

Most of these I've seen offered are still in OGP.

Is weight of clad and silver the same??
  • Options
    The whole bag could be silver plated or just two coins could be silver plated. In the OGP it really would get tricky.
    That is why pre 1965 silver is so popular...no way to fake it unless the whole coin is counterfieted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file