Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stephen Tanenbaum killed

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just heard that exonumia dealer Stephen Tanenbaum was killed in New York this morning by a madman who stabbed several people, killing three, and then hit and killed Tanenbaum while driving away.
Geez.......
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad.........

Crazed Murder Suspect
    Caught After Subway Stabbing Horror

MIDTOWN - A madman suspected of four Brooklyn murders caused chaos on a packed subway Saturday when he stabbed a straphanger in the neck, police said.
    Maksim Gelman was being hunted after a vicious killing spree on Friday left his stepfather, an ex-girlfriend and her mother dead in Sheepshead Bay. Another man was killed when he was hit by Gelman's car as the lunatic fled the scene.
    Police said officers tracked Gelman, 23, to a No. 3 train at 8.45 a.m. Saturday after a passenger told cops on a platform that he had knocked a newspaper out of her hands, yelling, "Do you believe what they're writing about me?"

Gelman's girlfriend Yulena Bluchenko, one of his alleged victims.(Facebook)

Two police officers found Gelman on a train pasing between Penn Station and Times Square.
    "They observed that Gelman, armed with a large kitchen knife, had stabbed a 40-year-old male passenger in the left side of his neck," said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.
    "Officer (Terrance) Howell jumped on Gelman and brought him to the ground, knocking the knife from his hand."

Gelman, who Kelly said was born in the Ukraine but is a US citizen, was arrested and was being questioned Saturday afternoon. Another knife was found on his person.
    The injured passenger, who has not been named, is in stable condition at St Luke's Hospital, said Kelly.

Hero police officer Terrance Howell, who tackled the knife wielding Maksim Gelman on-board a subway train.(NYPD)

The incident left the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 train service paralysed for most of the morning, and caused passengers to be traumatised.
    Straphanger Hyun Jo, 35, was two cars behind the stabbing.
    "The train kept starting and stopping," he told DNAinfo.
    "Then people started flooding back through the train, masses of people were coming down from the front.
    "Their faces were pale, they were walking through with ashen faces."
    Gelman, who Kelly said is a "heavy drug user," started his rampage started early Friday when he allegedly stabbed his stepfater, Aleksandr Kuznetso, multiple times in Sheepshead Bay

The bloodstained knife police said Maksim Gelman used to stab a straphanger.(NYPD)

He then drove to the home of his former girlfriend, Yelena Bulchenko. Police said he stabbed her mother, Anna, and waited for Bulchenko to come home. He chased her into the street, killing her and slashing the jacked sleeve of a neighbor who tried to intervene, police said.

He then jumped into his car, smashing into another vehicle. He stabbed that driver in the chest, leaving him in stable condition. He then sped off, hitting and killing pedestrian Stephen Tanenbaum.

At least another two people were hurt during the rampage, and police fear there could have been more.

"It's so horrendous and bizarre, we have no reason that we can give you why he did it," said Kelly

Madman Maksim Gelman's violent rampage spanned nearly 28 hours and two boroughs.

Friday:

5:09 a.m. - The body of Gelman's stepdad Aleksandr Kuznetsoz, 54, is
    discovered at his E. 27th St. home.

8:12 a.m. - Driving his stepdad's Lexus, Gelman allegedly struck a
    41-year-old crossing guard at the intersection of Ocean Avenue and Avenue S,
    breaking his leg.

4:20 p.m. - Yelena Bulchenko, 20, Gelman's ex-girlfriend, and her mother,
    Anna, 56, are murdered at their E. 24th St. home.

4:30 p.m. - Fleeing the murders, Gelman stabs Art DiCrescento, 60, and
    steals his 1995 Pontiac Bonneville, according to cops.

4:32 p.m - Driving the Bonneville, Gelman is accused of running over
    60-year-old Steve Tannenbaum at Avenue R and Ocean Ave, killing him.
    :00 p.m. - A man resembling Gelman is spotted near Ave. R and E. 18th St.,
    triggering a massive police search.

9:15 p.m - The stolen Bonneville is found abandoned on E. 15th St. in
    Flatbush.

Saturday:

12:55 a.m. - Gelman allegedly hails a livery cab driven by Fitz Fullertan, 55,
    at Rochester Ave. and St. John's Place in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

1 a.m. - The livery cab crashes on St. Mark's Ave. after Gelman and Fullertan
    struggle, cops say.

1:05 a.m. - Gelman is accused of assaulting Shelden Pottinger, 25, in front of
    an Eastern Pkwy. church and stealing his Nissan Maxima.

9:00 a.m. - It's unclear how Gelman spends the overnight hours, but Gelman
    climbs up from subway tracks and boards an uptown No. 3 train at 34th
    St-Penn Station.

9:05 a.m. - The suspect knocks a newspaper bearing his photo out of a
    woman's hands and stabs a 40-year-old straphanger. (Photo: Santos/News
    9:07 a.m. - Gelman is arrested.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/12/3398344/police-man-kills-4-in-stabbing.html

CRAZY!!!! This guy NEEDS A MAJOR JAILHOUSE BEATDOWN for killing 4 innocent people!!! %$@!!@#~!###!!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I read about the incident online, saw the name of the person killed and hoped it wasn't Steve the dealer, though the name, age and area where it happened made it seem possible and I feared the worst.

Shocking, and very sad.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    terrible.....

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Really terrible. Steve was an exonumia dealer and expert extrordinaire. Beyond words.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, very sad indeed. So sorry for their families, God bless.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tragic
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OMG! I sold him a piece at FUN! He was a great guy who was happy to share his knowledge with you. He was often at a table next to Ernie Latter and it was one of the few tables I would spend a lot of time sitting. This is just awful.image
    I was just thinking about how we were chuckling because I usually buy something from him, and instead he was buying from me. Life can be cruel sometimes.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy! My prayers go out to the families.
  • Options
    The whole incident was beyond sick....May the villian die horribly in jail.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So very sad.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I'm heartbroken. Steve was one of my earliest influences, a dealer that was happy to sit and teach an 11 year old kid about tokens and medals. He was a great guy away from the bourse too -- funny, smart, always a character.

His ex partner called me tonight and has promised to pass along shiva and funeral information, which I will post here when I get it.

Rest in peace, Steve, and thanks for everything.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear the news..........
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a terrible loss! Steve was truly an expert numismatist as Julian mentioned. He was also a nice and honest person. I will be praying for his family as they cope with this.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Stephen.

My prayers go out to his family.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    tragic loss, im betting the gun manufacturers were relieved to hear that this idiot's weapon of choice was a knife
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know Mr Tanenbaum but knew of him.

Such a senseless loss. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    terrible, crazy story. Not one person would have blinked if the cops opened up on this guy when they had him.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoyed engaging in conversation with Steve whenever I saw him at shows. The man had a genius IQ, and was one of the great collectors of our time. Steve was originally from my hometown, and was a former member of the Rochester Numismatic Association. What a tragic loss.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    My condolences to Mr Tanenbaum's family and friends. May Mr Tanenbaum rest in peace.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is so upsetting.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Senseless murders. I feel sorry for all of the victims and their families. I hope the perpetrator winds up like Walter Breen and Jeff Dahmer did while in prison.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    May God be with him and his family. We will keep them in our prayers.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    image RIP
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    Condolences to the families and friends of all the victims, and may the victims themselves rest in peace.
  • Options
    Steve was a wonderful friend, always had a smile, and would share his years of knowledge with all who asked - we have lost a great dealer and friend image - This is tragic. My prayers to his family and friends
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many crazy people on the streets who should be institutionalized. Look at that nut in Tucson.

For many years there was one crazy guy who used to come into the coin shop where I worked screaming about "SATAN!" and threatening to burn the place down. The police said there was nothing they could do about him until he hurt somebody.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Oh my! So sad. Steve was one of the good guys!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a crazy way to go. Very sad.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I hope the perpetrator winds up like Walter Breen and Jeff Dahmer did while in prison ****seems that there is an honor among thieves (or criminals in general) child molesting and homosexuality is not very popular.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope the perpetrator winds up like Walter Breen and Jeff Dahmer did while in prison ****seems that there is an honor among thieves (or criminals in general) child molesting and homosexuality is not very popular. >>

Apparently, cannibalism isn't very popular either.

I didn't know this dealer but I hope the killer gets swift justice and I wish the best for his family.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is terrible. Steve was a long time expert in tokens and medals. This is a terrible loss for the coin collecting community.

As a friend, I am heartbroken and shocked.

From The Civil Wat Token Society Hall of Fame page:

Stephen L. Tanenbaum

Steve Tanenbaum is considered by many to be the most knowledgeable active person in the field of Civil War tokens. He has been relied upon for many decades as a consultant, editor, and contributor to numerous CWT works. After beginning his CWT collecting journey in 1972, he became a full-time dealer for tokens in 1981. Steve has handled, purchased, and built some of the greatest modern-day collections, although he always considers himself a collector first. He has discovered hundreds of new varieties, previously unknown die states, and odd mint errors. Steve has been elected to eight terms on the Board of Governors, and also filled two partial terms by appointment. He has served as Vice President of the Society since 2004.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw the story on the national news. Tragic and sad. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Horrible. image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    News Video of the scumbag! image

RIP Stephen Tanenbaum!! image

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an incredible and devastating loss. I have done a lot of business with Steve over the years, and he was one of the most honest and reliable individuals which whom I have ever had dealings within numismatics. I shared a FUN table with him for a couple years and always looked forward to seeing him at the major shows.

It is ironic. At the last FUN show Steve and I noted that one of the major dealers among the old guard was starting to show his age. He commented that more and more of us, “the old guard,” were gradually passing from the scene. I never would have expected Steve would be one of them this soon. It just goes to show how fragile life is and how we should be thankful for every day.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Absolute waste! I will avoid sharing my thoughts on what should be done with this animal. My condolences to his family and I hope he is at peace.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely he will be coddled in a mental institution.... street justice is the best way to handle these cretins. Cheaper too. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    In a previous post, I mentioned about the guy who treated me like crap and my wife great. I did not want to reveal the guy's name or the whole story, but that guy was the late Steve Tannenbaum.

In reality, he semi-jokingly told me that my wife Lisa had a better eye than I did. It was a semi-joke because it was the truth. I knew the details, and she knew awesome eye appeal.

My wife is beside herself right now, as am I. My condolences go out to his family and all of our numismatic colleagues.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in shock. That is unbelievable. To die in such an utterly senseless way with decades left to live.

I knew Steve well. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of many, many often obscure areas of numismatics. He was super honest (as others have mentioned) and was the #1 go-to guy in the nation for answering questions on exonumia.

He quietly built world-class collections in about 30 areas (his number, not mine) of numismatics. He devoted his life to collecting and dealing in this area. I believe prior to going full-time as a token & medal dealer decades ago, he was an executive high in the ranks of the Xerox Corporation.

I spoke to him quite often, bought & sold coins on a reqular basis, and had numerous 5 hour phone conversations about coins, medals, colonials, running a coin business, collecting philosophies, inventory management, etc. over the years.

I simply cannot believe it.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats very sad news. my condolances to him and his family. i wish them well
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    Just horrible!!!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    Senseless violence. Police should be able to act before people get murdered. My prayers go out to everyone who was hurt or killed and their families.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I did not know him but from reading the comments here it is clear he was well-liked and respected. My condolences to his friends and family.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never met Steve Tanenbaum or most of the people on this forum, but news like this is very difficult for me to understand. My condolences to his family and everyone here who knew him.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Likely he will be coddled in a mental institution.... street justice is the best way to handle these cretins. Cheaper too. Cheers, RickO >>

I'm hoping any drug situation removes that possibility.

He didn't look so "wild eyed" on CNN today.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file