Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heritages owns 30% of NGC

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    The coin collecting community is too tight and too transparent to enable an individual or company to get away with anything improper for a prolonged period of time. There's too many checks-and-balances. If you make too many or too major a misstep, your reputation or business will fail. I personally wouldn't care if there were only one TPG, one Auction House, etc, and they were all owned by one individual. If the TPG failed collectors, the TPG would fail... is competition good, absolutely, but we're not talking about automobiles, politics, etc.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for the last bombshell to get answered.

Good for you.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still waiting for the last bombshell to get answered. >>

You don't have Nancy Grace on speed dial?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only been in this hobby for a little over 3 years, and make of it what you will, but I won't buy coins (at least not expensive ones) in anything but PCGS plastic. Why? Because I have seen enough and taken enough personal losses to know that PCGS grading standards are tighter on most series, and resell better when the time comes.
    In fact, as far as accuracy in grading goes, I would have to say that PCI follows PCGS with NGC being third. I won't even consider ANACS. But that's just my personal experience, abbreviated as it may be.

My point was this: I rarely buy NGC graded coins, so the fact that HA owners own 30% of NGC is irrelavent to me. image
  • Options

<< <i>Forgive me for butting in, but Just as HRH was presenting a situation almost as a mental exercise to stir speculation and get imaginations burning, so too is this fellow. He's presenting a hypothetical situation which, if it either were true developed later, would demonstrate a conflict of interest. As no one is charging NGC with grade inflation or anything else that would strike an average person as irregular, I see no material relevance per se, only how a conflict might manifest if it were real.

For my part, if such a conflict were to surface, resulting in an uneven playing field for the buyer, it might more likely be expressed in more subtle ways--favorable placements of NGC coins in the catalogues, more prime-time spots for NGC coins being sold at auctions, more lengthy and flowery descriptions of NGC pieces, mutual trade-outs for advertising, etc. HRH seems to be making a concerted effort to avoid making the conflict charges, which is smart. A great many companies run aspects of their business in a way that raises eyebrows.

Note, my post isn't particularly "relevant" either. It's merely pure speculation on how a conflict of interest might be apparent if an entity chose to exploit it's position. >>

Let's see if we can't get a grip on what's really bugging some of us. Think of what justified the public's acceptance of the concept of independent, third-party grading, in the first place. Wasn't it the idea that such would likely go a long way in removing dealer-bias? And, now, some of those very same dealers, we're informed, own near-controlling interests in the TPGs. Something is ironic, there...
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

<< <i>Forgive me for butting in, but Just as HRH was presenting a situation almost as a mental exercise to stir speculation and get imaginations burning, so too is this fellow. He's presenting a hypothetical situation which, if it either were true developed later, would demonstrate a conflict of interest. As no one is charging NGC with grade inflation or anything else that would strike an average person as irregular, I see no material relevance per se, only how a conflict might manifest if it were real.

For my part, if such a conflict were to surface, resulting in an uneven playing field for the buyer, it might more likely be expressed in more subtle ways--favorable placements of NGC coins in the catalogues, more prime-time spots for NGC coins being sold at auctions, more lengthy and flowery descriptions of NGC pieces, mutual trade-outs for advertising, etc. HRH seems to be making a concerted effort to avoid making the conflict charges, which is smart. A great many companies run aspects of their business in a way that raises eyebrows.

Note, my post isn't particularly "relevant" either. It's merely pure speculation on how a conflict of interest might be apparent if an entity chose to exploit it's position. >>

Let's see if we can't get a grip on what's really bugging some of us. Think of what justified the public's acceptance of the concept of independent, third-party grading, in the first place. Wasn't it the idea that such would likely go a long way in removing dealer-bias? And, now, some of those very same dealers, we're informed, own near-controlling interests in the TPGs. Something is ironic, there... >>

It is my understanding that Heritage has no voting interest with its stock. And if that is correct, they don't have anything remotely close to "near-controlling" interest. I have no idea about dealer Kenny Duncan's position/voting power, as it pertains to his PCGS stock/position.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until a consignment agent at Heritage tells me they can walk all my coins into a higher grade holders at NGC there's no issue.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like nice coins. Some of them come in PCGS slabs while others come in NGC plastic. If I only bought one slab I would miss out on a lot of nice coins and my collection wouldn't be as nice in my opinion. I have a lot of PCGS coins that came with the NGC tags of the exact same grade ( I bought them that way. I do not cross). I believe both services have tightened up grading the past two years.

I'm looking forward to hearing what David's actual MO was for this thread because on the surface it's just plain shallow..............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Two questions, if I may....

Who is Kenny Duncan?

Should I be more or less concerned with his relationship with PCGS than I should be with Halpern & Ivy's with NGC (through Heritage)?

Just curious...>Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is Kenny Duncan? Should I be more or less concerned with his relationship with PCGS than I should be with Halpern & Ivy's with NGC (through Heritage)? >>

Principal of US Coins and a heavyweight in the industry...........MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Kenny Duncan is the owner of US Coins in Houston, TX.
    I think that you should be equally worried about him.

That being said, you shouldn't be worried about either one in my opinion.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>Two questions, if I may....

Who is Kenny Duncan?

Should I be more or less concerned with his relationship with PCGS than I should be with Halpern & Ivy's with NGC (through Heritage)?

Just curious...>Mike >>

Duncan is a passive investor in CU. He has no board representation or say in the company operations. Some have said he is a large submitter to PCGS.
  • Options

Who is Kenny Duncan?

Should I be more or less concerned with his relationship with PCGS than I should be with Halpern & Ivy's with NGC (through Heritage)? >>

He is the owner of US Coins Inc. out of Houston, TX. His company is one of the largest, most active dealerships in the country, and he is a very sharp, personable guy, who apparently has a large position in CU stock.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe both services have tightened up grading the past two years. >>

Just around about the time CAC showed up stickering their slabs. Now there's a coincidence! image
  • Options

<< <i>

Who is Kenny Duncan?

Should I be more or less concerned with his relationship with PCGS than I should be with Halpern & Ivy's with NGC (through Heritage)? >>

He is the owner of US Coins Inc. out of Houston, TX. His company is one of the largest, most active dealerships in the country, and he is a very sharp, personable guy, who apparently has a large position in CU stock. >>

Is there a reason you didn't answer the second part of my question, Mr. Feld. imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So, David, what's the reason for mentioning that now, as opposed to some other time during the past 5 years? I can't help but think that something large and/or interesting must be brewing. >>

That was my first thought too. Why mention it now? Something in the works?
    Lance. >>

I was thinking the same thing, also why mention it at all? It has nothing to do with pcgs ? The information is out there and has been all you have to do is look for it.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was reading Scott Travers' new book, The Coin Collectors Survival Manual

This is interesting to me - what did you learn that you didn't already know, if anything??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who is Kenny Duncan?

He is the owner of US Coins Inc. out of Houston, TX. His company is one of the largest, most active dealerships in the country, and he is a very sharp, personable guy, who apparently has a large position in CU stock. >>

Is there a reason you didn't answer the second part of my question, Mr. Feld. imageimage >>

Sorry, Mike. My feeling is that it is entirely your decision as to whether and/or how much you should be concerned about that.

Personally, I don't worry about that or the Heritage-NGC connection. I prefer to go about my business, trying to buy and sell nice NGC and PCGS coins.
  • Options
    Funny. I thought this was the "U.S. Coin" Forum, and that there was a rule that posts were supposed to be related to that. Evidently not.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out who Heritages is... image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still trying to figure out who Heritages is... image >>

Google is your friendimage
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aha! Jimmy and Steve are in the deli biz!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Who is Kenny Duncan?

So how come I've never heard of him or seen him at a show? Is he primarily a wholesaler?
  • Options

<< <i>Google is your friendimage >>

I've been waiting a long time for the right place to tell you this, and here it is. Mark, you're full of baloney! image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny. I thought this was the "U.S. Coin" Forum, and that there was a rule that posts were supposed to be related to that. Evidently not. >>

That's a good point. I think you should petition Don Willis to have Homerunhall bammed. image

• Options
    To echo what has already been said, it's a matter of ethics and integrity for any dealer who is significantly invested in a TPG.

I am 100% totally convinced that every single one of us image are sure HRH and all the other fine dealers are beyond reproach.

That said, there may be a small ethical problem with the appearance of a potential for abuse.

edit for punc.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same thoughts RYK but didnt want to be first to write them out.

Poor HRH...could you see him on the OFR? image

As to the original question Mr. Hall posted.....I dont think in the grand scheme of things it matters one bit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who is Kenny Duncan?

So how come I've never heard of him or seen him at a show? Is he primarily a wholesaler? >>

He and his company are set up at most major shows, and yes, he does primarily wholesale business.
  • Options
    I may be wrong here, as I have no interest in CU stock. I would guess that on the CU conference call there is little to no talk about what grades were given. And much more talk about how many coins were graded. image
  • Options

<< <i>So, David, what's the reason for mentioning that now, as opposed to some other time during the past 5 years? I can't help but think that something large and/or interesting must be brewing. >>

My first thoughts exactly!
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    .ethics and morals - two things that already got beat to death on the multiple D.Carr posts ;

and if the largest seller of U.S coins in the world is not related to U.S coins in some obscure way , then I'm a monkey's Uncle
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who is Kenny Duncan?

Is there a reason you didn't answer the second part of my question, Mr. Feld. imageimage >>

Sorry, Mike. My feeling is that it is entirely your decision as to whether and/or how much you should be concerned about that.

Personally, I don't worry about that or the Heritage-NGC connection. I prefer to go about my business, trying to buy and sell nice NGC and PCGS coins. >>

Being coy is no fun. image

Take a stand, Mark!

How about this...hypothetically speaking, of course:

There is no difference between the situations, IMO. If one is concerned (or unconcerned) with the Heritage/NGC arrangement, the one should similarly be concerned (or unconcerned) with the US Coins/PCGS arrangement.

That said, I do wonder the comparative % investment in the two arrangements and the impact this could or does have on voting issues (i.e. compare the 30% Heritage stake in NGC with a ??% US Coins stake in PCGS, and are the shares voting or non-voting). So if there is a significant inequality in this comparison, that would suggest a relative and appropriate concern (or unconcern) level.

• Options
    .....please correct me if my memory is wrong ; but wasn't one of PCGS's principles when they were formed that their grader's were forbidden to also deal in coins ..... ?
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    David does not grade coins for PCGS, nor does Kenny. Steve and Jim do not grade coins for NGC, either.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was reading Scott Travers' new book, The Coin Collectors Survival Manual

This is interesting to me - what did you learn that you didn't already know, if anything?? >>

As I only consider Scott Travers' books valid bathroom reading AFTER you've read the back of the last shampoo bottle! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>.....please correct me if my memory is wrong ; but wasn't one of PCGS's principles when they were formed that their grader's were forbidden to also deal in coins ..... ? >>

I know NGC strictly forbids graders to deal in the coin market both buying or selling. Im not sure if PCGS also followed that rule but if they did they sure dont now. Sorry PP i hope you can sit down now lol.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

Who is Kenny Duncan?

So how come I've never heard of him or seen him at a show? Is he primarily a wholesaler? >>

I have bought several coins from US Coins. Mostly pq higher end coins. Dont know about wholesale. Probably sells to whom ever shows up with the money. image
  • Options

<< <i>David does not grade coins for PCGS, nor does Kenny. Steve and Jim do not grade coins for NGC, either. >>

Doe's Julian grade coins for PCGS ?
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Mr. Duncan sells both NGC and PCGS... next argument? U.S. Coins Inc.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    No, I do not grade for PCGS. I have as many disagreements with the graders as anyone else.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow
    Just read this whole thread.
    I have thoughts/questions about why this was posted by DH.

Lets just say that stuff happens in EVERY business that would not like too much sunshine.
    Yours and mine.
    As long as the business keeps it in check for the most part, life is good.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>No, I do not grade for PCGS. I have as many disagreements with the graders as anyone else. >>

Arn't you on the board of directors or PCGS expert panel? I never understood this, if you don't really care for TPG coins?
  • Options

<< <i>David does not grade coins for PCGS, nor does Kenny. Steve and Jim do not grade coins for NGC, either. >>

But PCGS grades coins for Kenny and NGC grades coins for Heritage.
  • Options

<<Being coy is no fun. image

Take a stand, Mark!

How about this...hypothetically speaking, of course:

There is no difference between the situations, IMO. If one is concerned (or unconcerned) with the Heritage/NGC arrangement, the one should similarly be concerned (or unconcerned) with the US Coins/PCGS arrangement.

That said, I do wonder the comparative % investment in the two arrangements and the impact this could or does have on voting issues (i.e. compare the 30% Heritage stake in NGC with a ??% US Coins stake in PCGS, and are the shares voting or non-voting). So if there is a significant inequality in this comparison, that would suggest a relative and appropriate concern (or unconcern) level.

image >>

I can go along with that, Mike. I wasn't being coy - neither of those situations concerns me. And to my knowledge, neither stock position includes any voting rights.
  • Options
    I think HRH just wanted some entertainment tonightimage
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    This is good to know and I didn't know so Thank you Mr Hall.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know this but it's not very surprising.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I was not going to originally respond to this but it is intersting.

On the other hand is it a big deal?

Bowers often auctions of PCGS coins and the same with Stacks, they also offer NGC coins. Aside from maybe a discount on grading fees I would not think the grades are effected. Then again if I am buying sight-unseen (even with pictures) I look for the green bean on anything MS and over $1000 anyways or have someone look at the coin for me.

Generally I would not buy a MS63 or better dime in a NGC holder unless it is a very rare date in MS.

As for modern coins I would not buy them and circulated coins I think are correctly graded I have seen about 85% cross over and 95% with in one grade (ie PCGS40 vs. NGC45)

I am not sure it is a big deal but opening the can of worms many will disagee, it's just my opinion.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I don't get it. What is the point of this thread if not an attempt to cast the competition in a negative light?
  • Options
    I am an expert consultant, but I have never graded for PCGS.

David sometimes calls me and asks me my opinion on somethings.

eBaystore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file