Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964-D Peace $: PCGS said...

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
...no to grading them as fantasy pieces...image

Got mine in the mail today...beautiful work!

Cheers,

Bob

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look close and see if you can make out the undertype date. THEN, ask them if they will grade is as a 1924 (or whatever) altered surfaces...genuine.

cause, the surfaces sure be altered!! image

Dont sweat it.

In the grand scheme of things, if the piece gets into ANY slab or never gets into any slab...its IS what it IS and in the future its legend will grow. They will be talking about these for a hundred years.
  • Options
    Got mine today, too. Nice work. I think PCGS is missing the boat for not grading these, but what do I know?
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a CU shareholder: Grade them, guys. They deserve to be in the finest slabs in the industry.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    My personal thought is that with the controversy raised by some that they could be passed in the future as something they are not I'd love to see them in slabs that clearly define exactly what they are. Overstrike fantasy coin or whatever you want to call it.

I've got two and they're very cool fringe collectible pieces. That's kind of my thing.

Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My personal thought is that with the controversy raised by some that they could be passed in the future as something they are not I'd love to see them in slabs that clearly define exactly what they are. Overstrike fantasy coin or whatever you want to call it.

I've got two and they're very cool fringe collectible pieces. That's kind of my thing. >>

image Even though I only have one.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original subject notwithstanding, I'd love to see PCGS grade counterstamps and tokens.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..........please PCGS , pretty please with sugar on top

...I seen little teeny tiny guitars , gold flake, painted coins, coins from the bottom of the ocean, tokens, medallions, little baby thingies - all in slabs

........ if not ; I'm going to have to spend my 150$ grading fee's for a custom built holder
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to add my voice in agreement with the previous posts in this thread. I would send in a number of items that PCGS does not currently service if they were to change policy and offer these services to their customers. HM
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..........please PCGS , pretty please with sugar on top

...I seen little teeny tiny guitars , gold flake, painted coins, coins from the bottom of the ocean, tokens, medallions, little baby thingies - all in slabs

........ if not ; I'm going to have to spend my 150$ grading fee's for a custom built holder >>

I'm not sure how to read that, but my 15 or so CWT's will go to NGC due to lack of a good alternative....and I don't think those are in same category as painted coins or little baby thingies.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what are the slabbing options for these? Is ANACS the only TPG putting these in plastic?
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I seen little teeny tiny guitars , gold flake, painted coins, coins from the bottom of the ocean, tokens, medallions, little baby thingies - all in slabs... >>

I agree. They've put worse things in slabs.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

...I seen little teeny tiny guitars , gold flake, painted coins, coins from the bottom of the ocean, tokens, medallions, little baby thingies - all in slabs... >>

I agree. They've put worse things in slabs. >>

I agree with both of you!! Please with sugar on top!! pretty pretty please! image

You have to add more sugar to the koolaid to get the job done!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Does PCGS Slab the Amero's?

What about the Denver Mint 100th Anniversary Coin?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

........ if not ; I'm going to have to spend my 150$ grading fee's for a custom built holder >>

What he said!!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options

<< <i>Does PCGS Slab the Amero's?

What about the Denver Mint 100th Anniversary Coin? >>

Only ANACS (as far as I've seen), in a special D. Carr slab for the Denver Centennial's (I must have the only 2 graded by them, I think...just the silvers, still looking for a satin brass version).

edit to add: I only say I must have the only 2, as I've never seen/heard anyone talk about them having theirs graded.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my matte today and what a beautiful coin it is. The previous die marker is almost invisible. Great coin, Dan!!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It'd be nice if PCGS only slabbed coins and NGC slabbed all the other stuff. I don't mind having my coins in PCGS slabs and my medals, HTTs, non-coins, etc., in NGC slabs (I'm not interested in any other TPGs). I tend to view NGC as a lesser TPG after they made their business decision to slab almost anything. I appreciate the protection their slabs offer my non-coins, but that's the extent of my loyalty to them. I'm sure NGC will eventually slab these Peace dollars. I expect PCGS wishes they didn't slab some of the non-coins they have in the past. Expecting them to slab something because they made a mistake in the past... well, that's just not good business sense.

It's really funny how easily people will change their "ethics" when there's money to be made. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

Who makes custom holders? I'll need 2...
  • Options
    Mike, you might want to check out Haug. I am considering one of their custom holders for my 64's.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, you might want to check out Haug. I am considering one of their custom holders for my 64's. >>

Really nice holders... could get very costly very quickly.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, no grading these guys please. What next, Franklin Mint?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    The original guesstimate, for the Haug holders, wasn't that bad....and it looks like he could have a bundle of orders for these.
  • Options
    .some of use die hard fantasy Dollar fellers are commissioning a guy to make the 5 piece holders , I would prefer a PCGS holder - not for resale , but for peace of mind ; protection and the

fact that I have some 400 PCGS slabs already and I think there is no finer holder .

The holders were getting made are in the design stage , but will look super top notch with the insert wording engraved under each coin - cost will be around 150$ .

Notsure is the driving force of this custom holder design and endeavor , so if your interested - P.M. him without delay ...........

I saw a PCI or was it whoever bought ICG (?) with a graded D.Carr dollar , so I'm saying there are two services at this time slabbing them .
  • Options
    ..yes- thats the feller were contracting to do the holders; I'm thinking the more folks that sign on to getting them , the cheaper they will be
  • Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about these? Anyone ever use them?
    holder
    Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I'm suprised, theyd be getting some $$$ by doing it.
  • Options
    apparently their moral ethics outweigh the dollars and cents
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...no to grading them as fantasy pieces...image

Got mine in the mail today...beautiful work!

Cheers,

Bob >>

Perhaps Accugrade can help you........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I've taken several business ethics courses; I've never heard of a business moral course. I'm amazed at how quick collectors are to cut their own throats. Thankfully David Hall still sees PCGS as his baby... he has a business plan, he's successfully implemented his plan and won't be swayed to ruin the reputation of PCGS by allowing a few collectors to sway him away from a very successful plan. I applaud him for his personal and business fortitude.
  • Options

<< <i>I've taken several business ethics courses; I've never heard of a business moral course. I'm amazed at how quick collectors are to cut their own throats. Thankfully David Hall still sees PCGS as his baby... he has a business plan, he's successfully implemented his plan and won't be swayed to ruin the reputation of PCGS by allowing a few collectors to sway him away from a very successful plan. I applaud him for his personal and business fortitude. >>

No offense, but PCGS's misleading "First Strike" business would FAIL the Business Ethics Course that I took in College. That said, they sure do make a lot of money offering the extra label and they sure do sell for more than a slab that doesn't have it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've taken several business ethics courses; I've never heard of a business moral course. I'm amazed at how quick collectors are to cut their own throats. Thankfully David Hall still sees PCGS as his baby... he has a business plan, he's successfully implemented his plan and won't be swayed to ruin the reputation of PCGS by allowing a few collectors to sway him away from a very successful plan. I applaud him for his personal and business fortitude. >>

No offense, but PCGS's misleading "First Strike" business would FAIL the Business Ethics Course that I took in College. That said, they sure do make a lot of money offering the extra label and they sure do sell for more than a slab that doesn't have it. >>

How offensive! image In one of my previous postings, I supposed PCGS wished they could take back a few of the coins they've graded. It's like any business model, some failures succeed... The McRib? image As far as whether it would fail the business ethics course... we'd have to know if they stayed true to the criteria set aside and published for "First Strike" designation. If they didn't stray, then it would pass the business ethics course, whether we agree with their definition or not - as long as they stayed true to their published definition.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No offense, but PCGS's misleading "First Strike" business would FAIL the Business Ethics Course that I took in College. That said, they sure do make a lot of money offering the extra label and they sure do sell for more than a slab that doesn't have it. >>

How offensive! image In one of my previous postings, I supposed PCGS wished they could take back a few of the coins they've graded. It's like any business model, some failures succeed... The McRib? image As far as whether it would fail the business ethics course... we'd have to know if they stayed true to the criteria set aside and published for "First Strike" designation. If they didn't stray, then it would pass the business ethics course, whether we agree with their definition or not - as long as they stayed true to their published definition. >>

Yeah, I was just referring to the fact that the label is a bit misleading in title alone. They can define it however they want and I agree, buyers should perform due dilligence, but with die changes throughout the minting process, it really is hard to know what is and isn't a real "First Strike". Anyway, in my opinion, there is just as much grey area in Carr's 64 Peace Dollar. He obviously defines what it is in his published description, so I don't think that PCGS would be looked down on as long as they put "First Fantasy" on the Label. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a CU shareholder: Grade them, guys. They deserve to be in the finest slabs in the industry. >>

That makes two of us.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be the first time PCGS graded a coin not minted or released legally by the mint.

A description of the 1823 1C restrike.

"Joseph Mickley is associated with this pre-Civil War concoction, struck from muled Mint large cent dies allegedly sold as scrap metal by the Mint. The dies were rusted and broken."

"The rusted and broken dies were initially sold by the Mint as scrap metal. Numismatist Joseph Mickley eventually purchased the obverse die and muled it with an 1813 reverse to produce examples of this conditionally rare date prior to the Civil War."

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Just FYI, the custom holders don't get cheaper just because I have to make a bunch of them. It really is a time/materials thing. So if one person wants a 5 medal holder and another wants a 6, that's fine by me. The extra hole doesn't cost any more to make. And if I have to get payment from each person and ship to each person, there isn't really a quantity discount. It's still a bunch of single orders.

I am not going to comment further about our holders on this thread as to avoid the advertising complaints. However, anyone interested can just contact me directly. The link was provided by amiller.
  • Options

<< <i>It wouldn't be the first time PCGS graded a coin not minted or released legally by the mint.

A description of the 1823 1C restrike.

"Joseph Mickley is associated with this pre-Civil War concoction, struck from muled Mint large cent dies allegedly sold as scrap metal by the Mint. The dies were rusted and broken."

"The rusted and broken dies were initially sold by the Mint as scrap metal. Numismatist Joseph Mickley eventually purchased the obverse die and muled it with an 1813 reverse to produce examples of this conditionally rare date prior to the Civil War."

image >>

If the DCarr Peace dollars make it into the Redbook, I expect PCGS would probably slab them... you might want to lobby Whitman. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of don't blame them for not wanting to grade them, interesting though they are.

Who needs a slab for something like that, anyway?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    If the DCarr Peace dollars make it into the Redbook, I expect PCGS would probably slab them... you might want to lobby Whitman. image >>

I don't pretend to know the reasoning why some varieties of coins are slabbed or not slabbed, or what is included or not included in the Red Book. I'm just saying.........
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, you might want to check out Haug. I am considering one of their custom holders for my 64's. >>

Really nice holders... could get very costly very quickly. >>

Thanks amiller and llafoe, I did and they are. Will consider... I got a USPS notice for a signature required package on my door today, I think the 64's are here - just got to go pick them up.
  • Options

<< <i>Just FYI, the custom holders don't get cheaper just because I have to make a bunch of them. It really is a time/materials thing. So if one person wants a 5 medal holder and another wants a 6, that's fine by me. The extra hole doesn't cost any more to make. And if I have to get payment from each person and ship to each person, there isn't really a quantity discount. It's still a bunch of single orders.

I am not going to comment further about our holders on this thread as to avoid the advertising complaints. However, anyone interested can just contact me directly. The link was provided by amiller. >>

.......bummer

then I guess each individual could design their own unique holder
  • Options
    won't be swayed to ruin the reputation of PCGS

..........thats a very bold assumption to make ; not that he won't be swayed - but that in doing so, the reputation of PCGS would be ruined.

.what the heck are "moral ethics" then ? and why cant a business CEO have them ??

I guess no one told me ANACS reputation has been ruined or that D.Hall has assigned a board member to speak for him ............
  • Options
    The following is along the lines of what I was envisioning (but with rounded corners), similar to the NGC multi-coin holder. Perhaps just two lines of text per coin to reduce the holder height. The font size, spacing, and exact wording need tweaked, but this portrays the general idea.

• Options

<< <i>The following is along the lines of what I was envisioning (but with rounded corners), similar to the NGC multi-coin holder. Perhaps just two lines of text per coin to reduce the holder height. The font size, spacing, and exact wording need tweaked, but this portrays the general idea.

Link >>

Yep, that's what I was thinking. But some want the inserts as well. So whatever anyone wants.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Here's a thought:

It's only a matter of time before some eBayer tries to sell one of these coins, representing it as something it is not. Hopefully, informed people will 'advise' such a seller and prospective buyers as to the truth.

If the coins were in a slab, then there would be no question as to the origination of the coin.
    Of course one could crack it out. It's not a solution, really.
    But selling one of these in plastic would help indicate its proper origin.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If I took a 2007 Roosevelt Dime and expertly altered a die so that the date read 2002 when struck over, should PCGS slab it? An altered date is an altered date no matter how professionally done and no matter how collectible it might be.

It's a fun piece, it's a fantasy piece, but it's still a genuine coin with an altered date no matter what method was used to change the date to 1964. And those don't get into PCGS holders.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good to see fake coins like this will not get into PCGS slabs
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The following is along the lines of what I was envisioning (but with rounded corners), similar to the NGC multi-coin holder. Perhaps just two lines of text per coin to reduce the holder height. The font size, spacing, and exact wording need tweaked, but this portrays the general idea.

Link >>

I like it.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>good to see fake coins like this will not get into PCGS slabs >>

Nonsense....$$$ talks, bs walks....PCGS has graded numerous so called "faked coins" or now called "fantasy coins" that were never officially produced by the Mint. If D. Carr's coins ever reach the same value, PCGS will also slab them.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>good to see fake coins like this will not get into PCGS slabs >>

Nonsense....$$$ talks, bs walks....PCGS has graded numerous so called "faked coins" or now called "fantasy coins" that were never officially produced by the Mint. If D. Carr's coins ever reach the same value, PCGS will also slab them. >>

There are plenty of tokens and medals worth a whole lot more than these fantasy pieces will ever be worth that aren't slabbed by PCGS. The value of the medal/token has nothing do to with what they slab and don't slab.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file