Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964-D Peace $: PCGS said...

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Are we forgetting these things are counterfeit U.S. coins? I'm suggesting that might explain the reason Don Willis and gang aren't too excited at the prospect of putting their PCGS mark behind them. Why don't you ask him? He's around here, I understand. image >>

I don't think it's been firmly established that these are counterfeits. They are original $1 coins which have been modified to look like... gee, $1 coins. They are not made to look like $10 or $20 coins. There was one coin taken out of circulation to "make" each new one (actually, more than one was taken out per each coin "made" when mistakes/errors are counted in the tally). Taking some new material and creating a lookalike $1 coin would be counterfeiting, but there are no new/additional coins being introduced to the current population of dollar coins. Many agree that, although it is a fine legal line that has been skirted, the line has not been crossed. >>

Following your logic, an added mint mark is not counterfeit. You took a 1916 Mercury dime out of circulation and put a "D" on it. All is good, right? >>

I agree with you, but 1916-D dimes do exist.

Let's use a different example. 1873-S Seated dollars are listed in the mint report as having been struck, but none are known today. It is presumed that they were melted after the standard dollar was discontinued by the Mint Act of 1873.

If you take a Seated dollar and alter it into an 1873-S Seated dollar, by whatever means, it is an altered coin.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a photograph of an authentic 64-D Peace? What are the diagnostics? DC's 64-D is well documented with images and descriptions. If the Chinese make copies, they would almost certainly be making copies of the DC version. Do you really think with all of the publicity given to DC's example, one would ever be confused with or authenticated as the US Mint produced 64-D Peace dollar?

• << <i>If you take a Seated dollar and alter it into an 1873-S Seated dollar, by whatever means, it is an altered coin. >>

It's an altered 1873-S, but a counterfeit 1873-S, too. Years ago, there was a scam involving $10 notes. These were $1 notes altered with $10 corners. These were counterfeit $10 notes. At least, that's how the FBI saw it...
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good point. Those are not legal tender U.S. coin designs.
    A Peace dollar is. >>

Ahh...but a 1964-D Peace dollar isn't.

Now, if the US Mint gave the 1964-D Peace dollar legal tender status, then DC's fantasy pieces would be counterfeit.

Cheers,

Bob

<< <i>

<< <i>Good point. Those are not legal tender U.S. coin designs.
    A Peace dollar is. >>

Ahh...but a 1964-D Peace dollar isn't.

Now, if the US Mint gave the 1964-D Peace dollar legal tender status, then DC's fantasy pieces would be counterfeit.

Cheers,

Bob >>

A Peace dollar is not a legal tender U.S. coin design? That is what I said. Are you denying it?

1923-D and 1930-D Mercury dimes are counterfeits BECAUSE they bear a legal tender U.S. coin design and were not issued by the U.S. government. The non-existant date/mint mark combinations just make it very easy to prove.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    So if a true real 1964 D Peace Dollar did exist today would PCGS slab it?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i>So if a true real 1964 D Peace Dollar did exist today would PCGS slab it? >>

Yes, PCGS has stated they would grade a genuine example. IIRC they will do it for free as well, just for the chance to view it (and probably marketing purposes as well).
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are NOT real coins and do NOT deserve to be in PCGS holders.

Please help keep PCGS at the top of the coin world and stop with asking for all this JUNK to be put in their holders!!image

<< <i>Please help keep PCGS at the top of the coin world and stop with asking for all this JUNK to be put in their holders!! >>

So, you are the self-annointed maven on what is junk?
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>on a side note, check out this auction.

Auction >>

.......the D.Carr Matte's are not proofs

there are two sides to the issue and there is little hope of having a truce between them .

and I must be wrong ; as I thought it was quite clear that it's against the law to have a real 1964 Peace Dollar as they were all melted and none exist -

I must be wrong as how could PCGS say they will slab one if there illegal to own .......?

<< <i>there are two sides to the issue and there is little hope of having a truce between them .

and I must be wrong ; as I thought it was quite clear that it's against the law to have a real 1964 Peace Dollar as they were all melted and none exist -

I must be wrong as how could PCGS say they will slab one if there illegal to own .......? >>

What law might that be?
    there was a link to a write up some feller wrote up on the 1964 U.S peace dollars ,

and in it was a copy of a document that stated since they all were melted - it was no legal to own them ...

I may have incorrectly deduced that meant it was ILLEGAL to own one and hence against the law .....

I'll go try and dig up the paperwork .....

• << <i>

Auction >>

.......the D.Carr Matte's are not proofs >>

That eBay seller is only copying Daniels description from the website. Daniiel advertised them as matte proof; check it out.
    Now that being said, whether they are or not is a completely different issue.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

<< <i>

<< <i>there are two sides to the issue and there is little hope of having a truce between them .

I must be wrong as how could PCGS say they will slab one if there illegal to own .......? >>

What law might that be? >>

From Coinfacts:

"Were it legal to own, the 1964-D Peace Dollar would become one of the most valuable of all United States coins."

On PCGS web site an article by Ed Reiter

"A major reason for that, it would appear, was a press release issued by the Mint on May 31, 1973. In it, the bureau declared that since the '64 dollars were never officially issued, any such coins found in the possession of private individuals "are the property of the United States, which is entitled to recover [them]."

"Right after the ad appeared, I had an offer of five pieces at $5,000 each," Cohen said, "and I'm convinced it was legitimate. But then the government came out with all the publicity that the coins were illegal, and I never heard any more. The people evidently got scared."

From wikipedia with reference from Marotta, Michael E. "The Peace Dollar". Coin-Gallery Online. Retrieved June 25, 2006 and "1921-35 SILVER DOLLAR PEACE". Archived from the original on 2007-04-08.. CoinSite.com. Retrieved June 25, 2006.

Although rumors persist that some examples still survive, owning them is illegal, making it unlikely that anyone who does own one will ever come forth publicly.

Sounds like it's against the law.

<< <i>there was a link to a write up some feller wrote up on the 1964 U.S peace dollars ,

and in it was a copy of a document that stated since they all were melted - it was no legal to own them ...

I may have incorrectly deduced that meant it was ILLEGAL to own one and hence against the law .....

I'll go try and dig up the paperwork ..... >>

Thank you.
    TD

<< <i>

<< <i>

What law might that be? >>

From Coinfacts:

"Were it legal to own, the 1964-D Peace Dollar would become one of the most valuable of all United States coins."

On PCGS web site an article by Ed Reiter

"A major reason for that, it would appear, was a press release issued by the Mint on May 31, 1973. In it, the bureau declared that since the '64 dollars were never officially issued, any such coins found in the possession of private individuals "are the property of the United States, which is entitled to recover [them]."

"Right after the ad appeared, I had an offer of five pieces at $5,000 each," Cohen said, "and I'm convinced it was legitimate. But then the government came out with all the publicity that the coins were illegal, and I never heard any more. The people evidently got scared."

From wikipedia with reference from Marotta, Michael E. "The Peace Dollar". Coin-Gallery Online. Retrieved June 25, 2006 and "1921-35 SILVER DOLLAR PEACE". Archived from the original on 2007-04-08.. CoinSite.com. Retrieved June 25, 2006.

Although rumors persist that some examples still survive, owning them is illegal, making it unlikely that anyone who does own one will ever come forth publicly.

Sounds like it's against the law. >>

Thank you for the research.

With all due respect, I wonder how this claim of illegality compares to the Treasury Dept's claim that 1933 $20's were never released, and are therefore illegal.

I await the resolution of the Langbord case.

TD

• << <i>Sounds like it's against the law. >>

Unfortunately many people on this PCGS board is convinced that such story is not true or else we would have established that the so called "64-D Fantasy Dollar" is only a copy.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    These don't belong in any holders, and PCGS made the right choice.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• << <i>and in it was a copy of a document that stated since they all were melted - it was no legal to own them ... >>

If they were all melted, why would it be necessary to have a law making owning one illegal?

• << <i>

<< <i>

Auction >>

That eBay seller is only copying Daniels description from the website. Daniiel advertised them as matte proof; check it out.
    Now that being said, whether they are or not is a completely different issue. >>

I did go and look , and I did not see them described as proofs
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Auction >>

Now that being said, whether they are or not is a completely different issue. >>

I did go and look , and I did not see them described as proofs >>

Maybe you should go take another look, wait about an hour, then re-post your new search results
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>How is the 1964-D Peace Dollar really any different than a Hobo Nickel? Has anyone ever been prosecuted for carving a Hobo Nickel?

GrandAm image >>

Does any TPG slab Hobo nickels?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • .......i tried to wait an hour - but just can't hold out ...........

D.Carrs inserts , at least on the two I have for the " Matte" say nothing about it being a proof ,

his website however describes the sold out " Matte" as a proof !

I stand corrected;

the insert I guess did not have enough room to include the word "Proof".

The coins were burnished and sand blasted and are "proofs" according to D.Carr
  • Typo? Well, that depends.
    Maybe Mr. Carr's definition of proof is different than that of others. Maybe it will turn out to be like coin Doctors. Not everyone one seems to agree on that definition either.
    Call it what ya want, I think they look grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

• << <i>Call it what ya want, I think they look grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! >>

Of course, as long as you can sell it for more than what you paid for it, anything looks good!

I'm pretty sure we have lots of folks that are very pleased with their initial "Fantasy Dollar" investment right now. Hey, nothing wrong with that, you collect what you like right? But is that your new focus now folks? Collecting "Fantasy Coins"? Coins that were minted/ "overstrike" in 2010 but falsely dated much earlier? Now you guys are demanding PCGS to grade such pieces, what next? A PCGS registry for fantasy coins?

Heck no, I want in! I have a few silver dollars lying around, let me carve the bottom of my hammer with a rare date, carefully hammered it on the coin, and wala... my own fatasy dollar, haha! Wait, I must have 5 different hammers and apply sand blast, polish...etc to each hammer to create 5 different varieties too! Man, I gotta admit: this is fun! No worries folks, I'll do it on only 100 genuine dollar coins for each hammer to create artificially low mintage to satisfy your greed. I'll also will hammer on a few copper blanks to create a few trial versions, you know, just in case, one of these days when my silver fatasy dollars bring moon money, I can sell my trial collection for a nice sum and retire! Many thanks folks for your support, your greed gives me joy!
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the individual, or individuals that possess a real 64 Peace buck,
    purchased one of the Fantasy Overstrikes? Somebody somewhere has one.
    Sure would love to hold one.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How is the 1964-D Peace Dollar really any different than a Hobo Nickel? Has anyone ever been prosecuted for carving a Hobo Nickel?

GrandAm image >>

You mean other than the fact the a Hobo nickel doesn't use dies that imply that it was issued ny the United States of America, is worth $1 that is backed by the United States government, and with a date that would be considered very collectible if it was authentic?
    Wow, mudskippie, you forget your meds? Oh, and, not to be pedantic, it's "voilà!"

Cheers,

Bob
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this thread and it reminded me of the movie "Groundhog Day".image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i> Now you guys are demanding PCGS to grade such pieces, what next? A PCGS registry for fantasy coins? >>

Great job in overstating. I see nowhere in this thread where any demands to PCGS were made. Pleading, requesting? Yes. Demanding? Not even close.

<< <i>You mean other than the fact the a Hobo nickel doesn't use dies that imply that it was issued ny the United States of America, is worth $1 that is backed by the United States government, and with a date that would be considered very collectible if it was authentic? >>

So then the reason Joseph Mickley's various assortment of restrikes are slabbed by PCGS are because they are the result of using authentic mint dies. But his restrikes were not issued by the mint nor even supported or backed by the mint. They were all fantasy pieces and minted privately. I suppose if DC would have used authentic mint dies everything would be fine and we wouldn't have these threads.

<< <i>Wow, mudskippie, you forget your meds? Oh, and, not to be pedantic, it's "voilà!"

Cheers,

Bob >>

"Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
    Walla Walla, Wash., and Kalamazoo!"
    Walt Kelly

<< <i>I read this thread and it reminded me of the movie "Groundhog Day".image >>

I read this thread and it reminded me of the movie "Groundhog Day". image
    ..........I read this thread and it reminded me of the day I got stuck on a Merry-go-round at a carnival for what seemed like forever

and the kid on the horse next to me was watching Ground Hog Day on his DVD player
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I read this thread and it reminded me of the movie "Groundhog Day".image >>

I read this thread and it reminded me of the movie "Groundhog Day". image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>

I should look to see what I might have posted earlier in the thread and repeated it.
    Wonder if any of the pom poms would noticeimage

<< <i>"Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
    Walt Kelly

image >>

Would that be Charlie of the MTA?

<< <i>

<< <i>"Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
    Walt Kelly

image >>

Would that be Charlie of the MTA? >>

Nope. You're thinking of the Kingston Tripod.

Walt Kelly wrote that great comic strip "POGO!"

As in "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

TD moseyin' down to Fort Mudge.
    I know who Walt Kelly was, I just didn't string them together.

Pogo was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Pogo was like early version of "Bloom County."

Cheers,

Bob
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

My first thought was 'Did the horse move? I thought it was long since dead'

Either way, I bought dups for resale and now have a free set plus. I'm an eye appeal collector and have never seen a P$ as nice as these, not even close. The vision and skill of one man held in my hand. It makes me strive to be better, simple enough.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?

<< <i>

<< <i>

My first thought was 'Did the horse move? I thought it was long since dead'

Either way, I bought dups for resale and now have a free set plus. I'm an eye appeal collector and have never seen a P$ as nice as these, not even close. The vision and skill of one man held in my hand. It makes me strive to be better, simple enough. >>

Almost sounds like a life changing event.

• << <i>on a side note, check out this auction.

Auction >>

It would seem that the market for these is already evolving. Watching this one...
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

Auction >>

It would seem that the market for these is already evolving. Watching this one... >>

I'm surprised eBay is allowing these to be sold as Peace Dollars.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • PCGS stands for Professional COIN Grading service. Those are not coins! image

<< <i>PCGS stands for Professional COIN Grading service. Those are not coins! >>

Neither are SAEs or GAEs, but they grade. How about chop-marked coins? Post-mint damage, but they grade.

Cheers,

Bob

• << <i>PCGS stands for Professional COIN Grading service. Those are not coins! image >>

Sure they are. They're a Peace dollar and could be used, legally, for a dollar's worth of sales with a merchant. Just like you could take an ASE and theoretically spend it for a dollar's worth of goods. They have a denomination on them.

That said, I believe PCGS made the right call.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i>PCGS stands for Professional COIN Grading service. Those are not coins! image >>

Sure they are. They're a Peace dollar and could be used, legally, for a dollar's worth of sales with a merchant. Just like you could take an ASE and theoretically spend it for a dollar's worth of goods. They have a denomination on them.

That said, I believe PCGS made the right call. >>

Out of interest , what would happen if a person did try to tender this as legal currency as suggested above ?

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS stands for Professional COIN Grading service. Those are not coins! >>

Neither are SAEs or GAEs, but they grade. How about chop-marked coins? Post-mint damage, but they grade.

Cheers,

Bob >>

Silver and gold American Eagles are not coins?
    Are you sure of that?
    TD

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS stands for Professional COIN Grading service. Those are not coins! image >>

That said, I believe PCGS made the right call. >>

Out of interest , what would happen if a person did try to tender this as legal currency as suggested above ? >>

Well, that is a good question. Jeez, I have a hard enough time spending the presidential dollars sometimes. Good to point out the difference between theory and reality.

On a side note, I tried spending a perfectly fine $5 CAN note at a Subway restaurant in British Columbia once, and the person at the counter rejected it because it didn't have the right strip. I tried to point out that it was an older note, but they told me I was lucky they didn't confiscate it. It was a perfectly fine, series 2001 note......
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cheers,

Bob >>

Silver and gold American Eagles are not coins?
    Are you sure of that?
    TD >>

This is the first thing I've agreed with Cap'n on, when it comes to this 'fantasy restrike'...lol
    I'll come up with something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file