Home U.S. Coin Forum

How is the upcoming collapse in the U.S. Dollar going to affect prices of rare US coins?

How is the upcoming collapse in the U.S. Dollar going to affect prices of rare US coins?

Comments

• mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Gold and silver will rise even more yet, Rare US coins im guessing are not going to loose or gain value due to most of the people that can afford the real "rare" coins have been planning on the collapse for years and are set and the people that are affected by the collapse probably couldn't afford the rare ones in the first place.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think scarce pieces would flourish. The rest, not so much.................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Who are you and how did you hijack Anaconda's account?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the US dollar collapses people are going to have better things to be concerned about than rare coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How is the upcoming collapse in the U.S. Dollar going to affect prices of rare US coins? >>

Gee....I hadn't heard that the US dollar was about to collapse? What should I do with my US dollars??? How about my US Savings Bonds, stocks, rare coins???image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    It could be a double edged sword so to speak.

High prices on coins tend to bring coins out of the woodwork for sale.

But with the dollar falling,prices on essentials would be affected..food,gas... money would be tight to allocate on collectibles for the average collector/investor.

With that in mind,the ones with money would look for the dip in prices of such coins to purchase.

The people with the finances will always buy during economic instability because it poses a better opportunity to buy.

Rob
    Rob
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will not collapse
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rare coins will be purchased with the Yuan or gold or silver..... Cheers, RickO

• << <i>will not collapse >>

Agreed...the stock market on the other hand...
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can say for certain that the Germans don't think it will collapse. VW is building a 1.5 billion dollar facility in our area, and Wacker Chemie, a chemical supplier will be building a
    1.5 billion dollar facility to provide ultra pure polysilicone to the solar panel industry. I live in the southeast Tennessee region of the country. Shag
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MODULATOR: We need a new forum focused somewhere between COINS and PRECIOUS METALS. I suggest "GOTTERDAMERUNG!"

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are you and how did you hijack Anaconda's account? >>

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semi-keys having precious metal content will track higher along with bullion but will lose much of their numismatic premium.

Rare US coins will continue to be rare US coins and will continue to be sought when they come onto the market. I guess that means that they will hold their own but they may not keep up with bullion on a percentage basis.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Define collapse. In relationship to what? The Euro? Lol

If the Yuan is the only thing going up, how is that a 'collapse'?
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins are a luxury.

If more and more of the population needs more money (in what ever form or denomination of dollars, etc) for day to day survival, the more collectible coins will drop in price. Who cares about a little copper coin dated 1909 with a small 's' below the date, when one is concerned about how to pay for a sick daughters health care, getting tomorrows food to eat, making next house payment, etc.

Not sure what is meant by currency 'collapse', but if more and more individuals are having a rough go of it, there will not be as much of a collecting base, there will be less demand and a greater supply of dates/grades, and prices will drop accordingly.

Except for the really high grade and mintage rarities. Those will still be in demand for the very few who have the means to obtain and hold these.
    ----- kj
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Adrian is concerned with hyperinflation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692

<< <i>Define collapse. In relationship to what? The Euro? Lol. If the Yuan is the only thing going up, how is that a 'collapse'? >>

First of all, I didn't say the dollar is collapsing, I implied that it is going to collapse.

To answer your question....I define collapse as the value of the dollar going way down relative to most other currencies.....the (purchasing power of the) dollar collapses.....it becomes a weak currency, one that people don't want relative to other currencies.

Interestingly....a year or so ago a dollar bought you 575 Costa Rican Colones....now it buys 516 colones. That isn't a collapse but when the dollar buys 100 colones, and one fifth of the Euros that it buys now and one fifth of the Yuan that it buys now, I'd call that a collapse.

Some might also call it hyperinflation.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is so "fiat".image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I suspect the condition of the dollar will cause lame websites that lack a logical business case with eccentric owners that have muddled histories to never get off the ground, but that is just a guess and I have no one in mind.
    If my implication that the collapse is inevitable distracts you from the question of how a collapse in the US Dollar is going to affect prices of rare US Coins, then just make believe the question is:

How would a collapse in the U.S. Dollar affect prices of US coins?

<< <i>So I will stick my neck out and go the complete opposite direction, the dollar is not going to collapse, the value will fluctuate and that is what we will see but you won't see a collapse.
    First off I have always had a theory that when impeding doom is well advertised it won't happen because there will be forces alerted to stop it, it won't be a surprise because there was time to do something about the problem. Second where would you want to invest your money.......you mentioned the Yuan, you want to invest your money in China, can you trust China.....you want to invest in Costa Rica.......you trust them with your money.......I notice that you moved from there and it was a short stay....you trust the Gov't of China and Costa Rica...........ok how about Europe which particular country do you trust the most. Botomline, the people of this country will fix this country's problems via the gov't and not the other way around. And no matter how screwed up this country is after the fix it is still the safest and strongest country out there to invest one's money and anyone who says other wise is fooling themselves. >>

I don't think the people are going to fix the problems through government; elected leaders will be reluctant to slow governmental spending because it makes a downturn worse. And raising taxes means you don't get re-elected - it even causes some leaders to even lie about it to get elected ("Read my lips...no new taxes")

Now you're asking me what I think is going to happen in a collapse. I'm not really sure. I was hoping to get some ideas from some of you.

But my suspicions are that if we get hyperinflation, which I'm convinced we will, rare coins prices will go through the moon, like everything else. That's part of the problem. After your $1,000 coin goes to 10K, you have to pay taxes on 9k when you sell it. If everything else has also gone up in value to the same degree, you're not ahead, but that's the point that makes me believe that rare coins ARE AND WOULD BE a good place to put your money, if you believe a currency collapse is going to happen, and even if it doesn't.

Having said that, one of the reasons people bought rare coins in the 1970s and 1980s was as a hedge against inflation.....most of the books touting investing in silver, gold and rare coins touted them as hedges against inflation, and people bought into that and prices rose for rare coins, dramatically in some years when inflation was highest.

So, my suspicions are that the rubber hits road in realizing that many other people are going to invest in rare coins as a hedge against inflation......and truly rare coins coins like classic early (pre 1836 US coins in as high of a grade as you can afford (not common coins) will indeed perform well in a currency collapse, way better than overall inflation.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If my implication that the collapse is inevitable distracts you from the question of how a collapse in the US Dollar is going to affect prices of rare US Coins, then just make believe the question is:

How would a collapse in the U.S. Dollar affect prices of US coins? >>

Because the number of collectable coins is limited, they move in relation as does gold or silver bullion IMO during inflationary times (or collapsing times, which acts just like inflation). Coin prices will rise in price, but probably stay the same comparing the prices in relative terms, or to other limited resources like gold, oil or food costs.

Coin prices will rise in relation to a falling dollar, but probably stay static compared to other commodities.
    I like to think of the prices of truly rare coins being like the watemelon seed between the fingers.....the more buyers, the tighter the squeeze....and hence the likelier propulsion is.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ardian has sold the business for a tidy profit and is now running for Congress. image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ardian has sold the business for a tidy profit and is now running for Congress. image >>

I don't know he just doesn't seem like the Teaparty type?image >>

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Kindly explain your opening assertion.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    Foreign demand might be the biggest factor in determining prices because the middle class in this country is largely going to be wiped out.

As an investment, I don't like anything that Bernanke can produce. Therefore, I prefer holding rare coins than cash. Even if rare coins do poorly, I expect they'll fare better than cash.
  • This is an interesting question. Only time will tell though. Perhaps they will just do another bailout or create a "new type of currency"

are we going to go around the supermarket trading our gold bullion for bread? I doubt it
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>will not collapse >>

Agreed...the stock market on the other hand... >>

thats been coming for a while. ( and is over do ) jmho
    Inflation calculator

With 1.1% inflation, you may expect coins to keep up with inflation. But since we are in the habit of using historical prices, like auction records, to determine if a coin is a "Good deal" without factoring in inflation specifically, I don't think inflation itself drives an increase in coin prices. The fear of inflation drives people to pay prices higher today than yesterday. A high bid from one collector might be his own fear of a higher inflation than others might think.

In a hyperinflation scenario, no one trusts the money, so no one will sell you anything anyway. You'll have to barter.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...we're screwed! image............image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Warren Buffett once said, " You never know who's swimming naked until the tide goes out"
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I will not affect anyone unless they are in another country and using a foreign currency

then it becomes an currency exchange issue and a value of current holdings issue

it may return to market items (like proof gold) that have been heading to Asia for many years

as far as the collapse of the US dollar - I feel it will be a gradual slide and will have marginal affects on most americans

<< <i>Inflation calculator

With 1.1% inflation, you may expect coins to keep up with inflation. But since we are in the habit of using historical prices, like auction records, to determine if a coin is a "Good deal" without factoring in inflation specifically, I don't think inflation itself drives an increase in coin prices. The fear of inflation drives people to pay prices higher today than yesterday. A high bid from one collector might be his own fear of a higher inflation than others might think.

In a hyperinflation scenario, no one trusts the money, so no one will sell you anything anyway. You'll have to barter. >>

I think if you do some research on commodity prices (sugar, cotton, copper, etc.) you'll see that the inflation rate is higher than 1.1%. The same government that tells us our inflation rate is low also tells us the unemployment rate is 9% however, they only count people in that number who are collecting unemployment. - they don't count unemployed people whose unemployment "insurance" has run out.

<< <i>

<< <i>I like to think of the prices of truly rare coins being like the watemelon seed between the fingers.....the more buyers, the tighter the squeeze....and hence the likelier propulsion is. >>

But with your upcoming business venture don't you want to believe this will be true? >>

I think it would be more accurate to say that I chose to start the business I chose because I think rare coin prices are going to skyrocket.

<< <i>Kindly explain your opening assertion. >>

While there is a huge amount of information on the topic of the impending currency collapse, I think this website can probably do a better job at it then I can:

http://www.stansberryresearch.com/pro/1011PSIENDVD/PPSILC38/PR
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    your commodity price analogy is not very accurate for long term - possibly if you go back say 3 years

look at the values of commodities during the end of the civil war - in the 1860's and then do an annual inflation rate for the last 150 years

• << <i>

<< <i>Who are you and how did you hijack Anaconda's account? >>

image >>

On the contrary, this seems to be exactly the kind of provocative topic
    Mr. Snake would address. image

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
    That is indeed correct. No one has hijacked my account.

And yes, I do like to provoke, in a positive way.....to make people think and more importantly, to have them challenge my thinking. If I am wrong about something, I want to know and the best way is through polite argument and discussion.

Mr. Snake
    I posted a similar question relative to quantitative easing (2) here

<< <i>What is your definition of rare coins? >>

If you're asking me what coins I would recommend in anticipation of hyperinflation, then US Coins made before 1936 in PCGS and NGC holders, primarily MS 65 and better....HOWEVER, only coins that I would classify as "incredible, exceptional or worthy", "worthy" being problem free eye-appealing coins of unquesioned originality.

In my opinion, those coins are going to go up the most.

I think if you have the bucks to focus on coins minted before 1836, I think you'll even be better off.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually all things collapse, even you will....So why worry about it?
    Link to Adrian's Fear Factor

It is very interesting video and read (if you exit early you get the text).

It suggests that the US will lose its reserve currency status. Only to be replaced with what? A pan-Arabian currency backed by oil reserves?

Yes, inflation is reported way too low - I don't mean to show acceptance of "Official" number.

• US coins are priced in dollars. There will he no effect (other than bullion), on coins, since they are not bought internationally (for the most part). However, it may indirectly change prices by causing inflation and inflating prices.
    O conner numismatics in another thread recommended selling coins near term.

Thinks they are going to go down unless your a long term player.

I would like to see a debate between these dealers.

• ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    if the dollar completely collapses, the values of our coins will be the least of our worries, , the threat will come from people. desperate people. those that did not or could not prepare for the worst, your neighbors, friends, family, desperate people that have nothing to lose. if it all goes to hell, it will be bad. on a brighter note... there are lots of people in this country that do not want to see that happen.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
    This should answer your question and give you some additional interesting information:

http://www.fi.edu/pieces/knox/

• << <i>

<< <i>Inflation calculator

In a hyperinflation scenario, no one trusts the money, so no one will sell you anything anyway. You'll have to barter. >>

I think if you do some research on commodity prices (sugar, cotton, copper, etc.) you'll see that the inflation rate is higher than 1.1%. The same government that tells us our inflation rate is low also tells us the unemployment rate is 9% however, they only count people in that number who are collecting unemployment. - they don't count unemployed people whose unemployment "insurance" has run out. >>

This is not true. Unemployment is based upon the number of pepole who are actively looking for work, regardless of collecting unemplolyment.

Why would you only want to look at commodity prices for measuring inflation anyway. Do you purchase no services? Do you not pay housing expenses?

merse

<< <i>Eventually all things collapse, even you will....So why worry about it? >>

I don't worry about hardly anything....ever......

However, if you can prepare for something (like getting an education to prepare for having a career) and end up better off, then that is what you should consider doing.
  • The US economy, although flawed, is the envy of the world and will continue to be the dominant reserve currency for the foreseeable future.

merse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file