Home U.S. Coin Forum

How is the upcoming collapse in the U.S. Dollar going to affect prices of rare US coins?

Comments

• ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692

<< <i>

<< <i>It's a little concerning that some folks with a pile of metal seem to kind of "hope" for a SHTF scenario, so they will be able to profit from it >>

I have yet to see anyone here hope for a SHTF scenario. Can you provide a link to any such statement? Just because someone buys life insurance doesn't mean that they want to die. >>

Excellently put. It is truly amazing what some people think from the clear words they read.....imagine if this were a conversation.....????
    "if the US dollar declines in value in relation to other assets, including rare coins, the prices of those assets measured in terms of US dollars will RISE" how's that? did i get it right?

Can you handle the truth?
  • I believe rare coins are like art works in that they are holders of wealth and despite financial systems... will retain their values. What were one of the things that the Nazi's look for when they invaded countries, works of art and anything of value.

Right now, the Euro's and US Dollar's have been planned and designed from the start to FAIL ... to make way for a one world currency ahead of the one world rule which will include a one world religion and governing body.

The one world currency will be the SDR (Special Drawing Rights) that is partially gold backed, to make it the only apparently stable form of currency and to entice the populace under the purposely crushed currencies to adopt them - including the US.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/5050407/US-backing-for-world-currency-stuns-markets.html

And the US Postal system has ALREADY adopted the SDR!

http://www.prisonplanet.com/u-s-postal-service-starts-quoting-sdr-to-dollar-conversion-rates-and-imf-endorses-replacing-dollars-with-sdrs.html

Bye bye US Constitution and US sovereignty when we are under this system. And hello criminal tyrants running every aspect of your life, that is - for as long as they choose to let you have your life.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you handle the truth?

so now there's one [the] "truth" about "the economy" and "the dollar" that I should "handle"?

hey, you wanted a conversation, you're getting one! image

I'll admit I misunderstood your usage of "collapse," if you'll meet me halfway and agree you might have misused the word "collapse" in your first post, as clarified by your and others' later posts.

And yes, I'll agree there is survival and prosperity after extreme economic and political disturbances and currency revaluations

On the PM forum, I've pointed out (to mixed catcalls) in response to doom-and-gloom posts, essentially, that Rome and London and Berlin are still there as great cities, just that different individuals are "in charge" and different kinds of people have different kinds of "power", even though their "empires" have collapsed, sometimes more than once.

the US dollar has survived far worse challenges than our current one, IMO this time it's not "different", and the markets and laws of supply and demand will continue to straighten everything out, sometimes with help by and sometimes in spiteof efforts of groups of people with vested interests in certain outcomes.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one more thing: I believe that a lot of these recent "crises" were "engineered" to achive "parity" among world currencies, starting with the US dollar vs the Canadian and Aussie dollars, to be closely followed, in order, by the Swiss franc, the Euro, the British pound, and then, with a few "reverse splits", some of the more exotic currencies.

I believe I'll live to see the day when there is a global currency, at least for international business transactions, if not necessarily for local transactions

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read all 116 replies. Perhaps just to torture myself since I'm too squeamish to pull out my fingernails.

Rob790, I'm not surprised that you're paranoid given your reliance on prisonplanet.com. image Leave the country now! Go off the grid! You can survive!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Oh just wonderful, now I have had the Cr*p scared out of me.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
    The 6 things we should do is as follows:

1. Leave the country

2. Run around in circles saying the sky is falling

3. Scream at the top of your voice that the end is near.

4. Convert all your money to cherry blintzes.

5. Gain as much weight as you can now, because it looks like
    you will not be eating anything but grass, tree bark and roots for
    a very long time.

6. Since there will be a gas shortage, eat a lot of gassy foods now.

Anyone got a thousand dollar bill, to buy a Micky D burger?
    Camelotimage
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 6 things we should do is as follows:

1. Leave the country

2. Run around in circles saying the sky is falling

3. Scream at the top of your voice that the end is near.

4. Convert all your money to cherry blintzes.

5. Gain as much weight as you can now, because it looks like
    you will not be eating anything but grass, tree bark and roots for
    a very long time.
    I agree. So much doom and gloom! What is a wise old bear to do? Shag
    Bear, I agree. So much doom and gloom. What's a wise old bear to do? Shag
    6. Since there will be a gas shortage, eat a lot of gassy foods now.

Anyone got a thousand dollar bill, to buy a Micky D burger? >>

• << <i>I just read all 116 replies. Perhaps just to torture myself since I'm too squeamish to pull out my fingernails.

Rob790, I'm not surprised that you're paranoid given your reliance on prisonplanet.com. image Leave the country now! Go off the grid! You can survive! >>

I quotes several sources and as far as your personal feelings about prisonplanet - are you telling me that the Post office is NOT using SDRs now?
  • The weak dollar is an illusion purported by speculators in the EURO currency who will eventually learn that a currency cannot stretch itself across an entire region and remain stable. Weakest link will kick in. A comparison of the dollar to an average of the EURO and GBP is a more realistic approach IMO. The Yuan is without question the powerhouse right now, however staying power has not been established. A bubble formation is without question there. And even if it proves to be a staying force, it does not mutually exclude the dollar rising again. Continued trade agreements with China will insure both countries benefit from each other and as more Chinese are exposed to wealth, better trade agreements will be pushed for to sustain healthy relations. I dont think China has staying power though. They are going through something similar to the american industrial revolution. However their revolution is not based on innovation like the AIR was, which also benefited the rest of the world. It is based on manpower that borders enslavement conditions. It will see some limits at some point. So either way the dollar has the world surrounded and will one day see a rebound. I am more concerned whether Americans will have enough of them to benefit from them. By way of increased taxes and lost jobs and of course lost wealth in a crashing stock market scenario we may not have any of the strong dollars in our possesion.

• << <i>I just read all 116 replies. Perhaps just to torture myself since I'm too squeamish to pull out my fingernails. >>

You're not getting off that easily....did you watch both of the one-and-a-half hour videos recommended? (One of them was characterized as mandatory watching for all forum members.)

If not, do you have pliers?
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know whether you are very uninformed on these matters, just trying to stir people up, or both. As TDN wrote, the Euro is far worse off than the $, the Pound isn't doing very well, either. I have degrees in these matters and deal with them all of the time. >>

History suggests otherwise. The Euro started at par against the dollar. The dollar has lost 30% against the euro since the inception of the euroland currency in 1999.

The euro has Portugal, Spain, Greece and Ireland as sink bombs. The US has California, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, NY, Michigan , Arizona etc etc that are fiscal disasters. The Dollar stinks, the Euro stinks and the Sterling stinks. 24/7 five days a week they trade against each other in a Stink Off.................

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dollar stinks, the Euro stinks and the Sterling stinks. 24/7 five days a week they trade against each other in a Stink Off.................

That comes very close to being a quotable quote, MJ.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    I'm in China as I type. They have their own set of issues but it sure ain't debt.................MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Hm.
    If I didn't know any better, i'd call this a 'political thread'.
    I must be wrong about that.

<< <i>Hm.
    If I didn't know any better, i'd call this a 'political thread'.
    I must be wrong about that. >>

You should see the Precious metals forum. It's turned into Mrs Hershberger's Current Events class..................MJ
  • I certainly didn't intend for it to be a political thread.

I do think that the discussion of the liklihood of having a currency collapse as a part of a discussion about it's affect on rare coins prices is beneficial to the community. That question, the question of whether or not the discussion is beneficial to the community is probably one focused on by those in charge of this forum.

Also, it seems to me that if the tenor of the thread is one of chin stroking thoughtfulness rather than arrow slinging meanness, I think it's more likely to be thought of as beneficial.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, we could all move to Uganda.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I certainly didn't intend for it to be a political thread.

I do think that the discussion of the liklihood of having a currency collapse as a part of a discussion about it's affect on rare coins prices is beneficial to the community. That question, the question of whether or not the discussion is beneficial to the community is probably one focused on by those in charge of this forum.

Also, it seems to me that if the tenor of the thread is one of chin stroking thoughtfulness rather than arrow slinging meanness, I think it's more likely to be thought of as beneficial. >>

i agree with you.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    The sky is falling crowd never ceases to entertain me,couple of quick points; People who take all they need to know about a currencies strength from a daily exchange rate are fools and I for one don't want economic analysis from someone who can't determine AT or cleaned coins through what must be considered a lower level of analysis. I really don't want financial advice from someone who has complained about not having any money, failing business, unemployed on the same public forum. just my 2c
    Some day, the Government will begin to take care of our Nation and the people.

We do not need Cheap Chinese imports or shirts made in Bangladesh . The mere

thought of people not wanting our money infuriates me, after what we did to

rebuild the world. A time is coming when it will be each Nation for itself. I intend

to support making this Nation first and our dollar the reserve of the World.
    Camelotimage

<< <i>The sky is falling crowd never ceases to entertain me,couple of quick points; People who take all they need to know about a currencies strength from a daily exchange rate are fools and I for one don't want economic analysis from someone who can't determine AT or cleaned coins through what must be considered a lower level of analysis. I really don't want financial advice from someone who has complained about not having any money, failing business, unemployed on the same public forum. just my 2c >>

I might agree 100% with you ....if only I could understand you. I have tried but I just can't.

<< <i>Some day, the Government will begin to take care of our Nation and the people.

We do not need Cheap Chinese imports or shirts made in Bangladesh . The mere

thought of people not wanting our money infuriates me, after what we did to

rebuild the world. A time is coming when it will be each Nation for itself. I intend

to support making this Nation first and our dollar the reserve of the World. >>

I hope you're right about our government taking care of Americans....we certainly, as you pointed out, have taken care of many other nations.

But, for now, take care of yourself....buy rare US certified coins.

• << <i>

<< <i>The sky is falling crowd never ceases to entertain me,couple of quick points; People who take all they need to know about a currencies strength from a daily exchange rate are fools and I for one don't want economic analysis from someone who can't determine AT or cleaned coins through what must be considered a lower level of analysis. I really don't want financial advice from someone who has complained about not having any money, failing business, unemployed on the same public forum. just my 2c >>

I might agree 100% with you ....if only I could understand you. I have tried but I just can't. >>

That may have been a shot at me or someone else like me. I happened to have work as a currency trader for a small firm for 6 years, im NFA registered and all that, who lost our biggest client and so we went under due to poor expansion attempts during better times. I then survived about 18 months of unemployment by selling off my collection of mostly dreck. I tried to get my feet wet in the ebay consignment business of coins and bullion and made a terrible mistake which I posted about here on the forums. Some members came to my aid in the way of buying some coins from my remaining collection. But I also took a beating about my stupidity in the thread detailing what happened. Though it was never my intention to use it as a selling point as the idea was pushed by a few members and in the end I only sold about 6 lowball coins here and a medium ball coin, pricewise. In any case, I suppose if my post in some way constitutes financial advice, I do fit the other criteria of being unemployed, failed business, and having no money. Maybe he is talking about someone else who also fits those but even so I read this whole thread and saw very little that constitutes financial advice other than you pushing the idea of rare coins during hard times, which considering this is a coin forum is not out of bounds. Maybe I am a little paranoid in thinking it is me as I am pretty much a meaningless member here, but a recent stab at my Peace dollars in another thread by the same author made me think it was directed mostly at me. (I only own 2 of those Peace dollars anymore so I didnt take it too hard).
    Maybe that's why i didn't understand him. I think if you're going to slam someone, at least name them.
  • An apology to Crypto here as I jumped the gun of assumption. I have been a little on edge I guess after being judged fairly hard in private about my ordeal by someone who had originally started out being very helpful. My mistake.
  • From CNBC.com:

The Fed's QE2 Traders, Buying Bonds by the Billions...

"To critics, it is a Hail Mary play — an admission that the economy’s persistent weakness has all but exhausted the central bank’s powers and tested the limits of its policy making. Around the world, some warn the unusual strategy will weaken the dollar and lead to crippling inflation."

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this interesting, it is as if no real money exists, it is all ....ether...

<< <i>But depending on daily market conditions, Mr. Frost can decide not to buy certain bonds if they are already in short supply. As offers to sell Treasuries flash on a bank of trading screens, a computer algorithm works out which ones to accept. The computer compares the offers from Wall Street against market prices and the Fed’s own calculation of what constitutes a “fair value” price. The real work is done by three traders who are referred to during the operation as trader one, trader two and trader three. They sit at a long table against the wall, tapping at seven screens. >>

• It wasn't easy enough for our government to just print money....they had to make it even easier by making it by the billions with key strokes.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again - I fail to see the problem with issuing new dollars to buy back government debt .... where's the inflationary force?

The actions of the current and previous administration were admirable - they prevented a world wide depression. As far as inflationary forces go, show me even one item other than precious metals that costs more than it did prior to the crash.
  • cotton.....sugar...copper.....
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    A collapse of the dollar would make foreign goods more expensive. But the market for US coins is domestic. The price of US dollar denominated goods for domestic consumption should not change. Perhaps some foreign speculators would jump into the market but beyond that why should foreign exchange rates have any impact on the market? Yes there could be some inflationary impact from the rise in energy prices and the cost of imports, but if our money became "worthless" overseas why would anyone run to invest their money in US coins that have a thin market abroad?

CG

<< <i>cotton.....sugar...copper..... >>

Copper and sugar are indeed a tiny bit above where they were prior to the crash. So 98% of everything costs less now, and 2% costs more. But the dollar is crashing. Hmmmm.
  • wheat, oil, Colones....
    Oil? Really?
  • Today's Wall Street Journal:

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--A senior economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond Tuesday said the U.S. central bank should be wary about injecting more stimulus into the economy because it could spark inflation.

"The provision of further monetary stimulus at this point in the business cycle is not without risks," the head of research at the regional Fed bank, John Weinberg, said in a speech in Frederick, Md.

Richmond Fed President Jeffrey Lacker, who was unable to give the speech for personal reasons, is part of a minority of officials at the central bank who are skeptical of the Fed's latest attempt to boost the economy by buying government bonds. The $600 billion program, which started in mid-November of 2010 and is set to run until June, is meant to aid the economy and boost jobs.

Weinberg argued this may no longer be necessary--and could even be dangerous. The U.S. economy's soft patch is over, with consumer spending set to grow at a solid pace this year, helped by an improvement in the jobs market, he said. Using monetary policy to encourage job creation, moreover, can be risky.

"Historical experience, including the inception of the Great Inflation of the 1970s, suggests that central banks should be careful not to steer monetary policy off course by targeting the unemployment rate," he said.

Despite the opposition, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke looks set to have the necessary support to continue the bond buying this year. Fed Vice Chair Janet Yellen said Saturday that, together with some $1.7 trillion in purchases of mortgage and government bonds in 2009 and the start of 2010, the central bank has helped create around three million jobs.

• I think your position.....

...is defensible.
    Inflation is good. Our entire economic system is built upon it

Oil? Really?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inflation is good. Our entire economic system is built upon it

I don't understand. Please explain.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

<< <i>Inflation is good. Our entire economic system is built upon it

I don't understand. Please explain. >>

Controlled inflation is wonderful, everything works smoothly with such - deflation is the devil, it messes things up. Without real inflation of 5-6% per year being reported as 2-3% per year, how do you expect us to be able to pay our social security obligations in 30 years?
  • You're probably gonna tell me that your kid is writing a report and that I'm doing all his research...ok, here you go for oil:

• If this is how you explain how inflation is good...

"Controlled inflation is wonderful, everything works smoothly with such - deflation is the devil"

then that explains why you listen to Laura.
  • "how do you expect us to be able to pay our social security obligations in 30 years?"

My guess, is that you guess that my answer will be 'inflated dollars'.
    Lies, damn lies and statistics.

The peak oil price before the crash was $145. The current oil price is apprx 40% less. Which is more important to the health of our economy - sugar or copper a few percent higher than before the crash or oil one third less?

<< <i>If this is how you explain how inflation is good...

"Controlled inflation is wonderful, everything works smoothly with such - deflation is the devil"

then that explains why you listen to Laura. >>

Listening to Laura has made me millions of dollars. I could have listened to you instead, but I'm not sure I could get my mind around your train of thought sometimes.
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    Rising commodity prices driven by growing international demand from countries that do not produce those commodities (China, India etc) would weaken the currencies of all importers (China and India included) not just the US.

Arguably rising commodity prices should negatively impact the price of rare coins as Americans would have fewer dollars left to indulge a hobby if they have to spend more of their income on gasoline, bread, clothing etc. At the highest tiers of US incomes, the super rich would be able to continue to spend as they please.

CG
    Let me just say this about that. Having said that,

I shall return to my status as an immutable stone.
    Camelotimage
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Controlled inflation is wonderful, everything works smoothly with such

I've witnessed inflation for most of my life, but I don't remember ever seeing "everything working smoothly". Not even close.

deflation is the devil, it messes things up.

I'm not convinced that deflation messes things up any worse than inflation.

Without real inflation of 5-6% per year being reported as 2-3% per year, how do you expect us to be able to pay our social security obligations in 30 years?

Simple. Redefine the obligations.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file