Home U.S. Coin Forum

There isn't a forum member alive who remembers circulating silver coins.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you need to review your arithmeticimage >>

I'll drink to that ... cost me $.70 to see a movie .. $.20 for a bag of popcorn... $.05 extra if you wanted butter...circa late 50's. Paid for with silver halves, quarter & dimes.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • I am not yet collecting Social Security and I can remember walking to my local bank and getting 5-10 silver dollars and whining when all they had was Peace dollars....always went back and exchanged them for Morgans
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    ~applying two fingers to the wrist~ yuppers, I can respond

When I was a little whipper snapper, that's all there was when you got change back in the form of a dime, quarter or half dollar. Back in the late 50's early 60's, half dollars were not exactly common currency but were available none the less. Let's just say you got two quarters instead of the big boy, but the halves circulated freely, unlike today.

Lot's of Buffalo nickels and Indian pennies, that's what we called them and Walking Liberty's were gotten in change, besides, they were just silver coins at the time, no big deal, just worth 50¢

Ahhhhhh...to be young again.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh....you wonder what it was like back then?

It was like: Seeing a whole roll of brand new silver dimes. $5

It was like: Sitting on a cold kitchen floor looking through your moms coat pocket, worn standing liberty quarters, walking lib half dollars, mid to late 30s quarters
    were seemingly everywhere. When you looked at a roll of nickels, edgewise, the rounded ones were the buffalos, the darker ones were the war nickels.

Yes, it was good to be a 'from circulation' junior collector during the early to mid sixties. I have spent morgan dollars at face value....and nothing was thought of it.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>When I was a child, my parents took the family to Las Vegas. I remember the dollar slot machines, which all had Morgan and Peace Dollars. >>

I had forgotten about the silver dollars in Vegas. I remember holding a small stack of 20 or so... they were so heavy and so impressive to me as a child. My grandfather used to give me a silver dollar about once a month. Lots of memories...
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There isn't a forum member alive who remembers circulating silver coins. >>

Sadly I have to say that you are wrong. I was 15 years old in 1964, and I had been spending silver coins since I was probably 5 or 6.

By 1969, silver coins were still in circulation, and I was pulling them out to get some tiny premiums from a few coin dealers. One guy in Philadelphia, PA was paying 8% over face.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    This man disagrees.
  • nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    When I was in 8th grade hot lunch with a carton on milk was 50 cents. Each morning my Dad would lay out a half dollar for us. Some days I would skip lunch and bring home a nice BU Franklin to keep.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver coins were common into the late 1960's and some could still be found as late as the early 1970's.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when we were watching "Kid say the funnest things" on TV silver was still in use.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... No clad when I was a kid... and would frequently get IHC's in change on my paper route, got a couple of Columbian halves as well, V nickels too. Cheers, RickO
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I was 15 years old when I saw my first clad coin,
    or "Funny Money" as we used to call it.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• I remember image I'm not old, but I recall someone throwing 30 silver pieces to the ground in some argument or other image Of course, the weren't slabbed....

Eric
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Why the heck would you say that?!?! >>

Eh, mostly to get a discussion started, but I'm also curious what it was like back then! >>

It was like today, but it was then. >>

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Why the heck would you say that?!?! >>

Eh, mostly to get a discussion started, but I'm also curious what it was like back then! >>

It was like today, but it was then. >>

image >>

What was it like back then? "People were always ^&%%$!! ....but the world was a beautiful place..." Sol, Soylent Green. (Eddie G. Robinson's 100th and final film).

Eric image
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...ah yes, the good ol' paper route. i remember it well. image got lots of silver coins along with many buff nickels,

merc dimes, walker halfs, standing liberty quarters, WOW! i miss those days! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get a nice new walking liberty half dollar each week if I did all of my work around the house, mow the lawn, burn the trash, clean up after the dog and feed the animals every day and on and on. I wonder how many rare coins were spent on candy?

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Got married in 1965. I was 21 the wife was 18. Do you know how many circulated silver coins were going in and out of the slot machines?
  • CherwoodCherwood Posts: 1,073
    He's trying to make a lot of us feel really old.

Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Heck man, I remember slapping a 1796 dollar down on the bar and buyin my friend Tom a beer. He needed a few drinks that night. They were the good old days let me tell ya.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I remember picking silver quarters out of my dad's change for my allowance ($3.50 per month). I was born in 1962, shortly after the Civil War.

Also, while this isn't the most bizarre thing that has happened to me, it is the most bizarre coin related thing that has happened to me --

I found a steel cent, within the past 5-8 years, on the floor of a supermarket in Dallas, that would have graded MS65 or better. I kid you not.
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image..........Maybe the silver coins of the 1800's. I still remember finding silver well into the 1970's. Shame we allowed others' to remove "real" money from us image

<< <i>Yep... No clad when I was a kid... and would frequently get IHC's in change on my paper route, got a couple of Columbian halves as well, V nickels too. Cheers, RickO >>

I had a local newspaper route, a Grit magazine route and collected for UNICEF... I'm feeling old again. I got to look through all the coins I collected. Very few people paid via check back "then" and NO ONE paid with a credit card or an ATM card!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember, but maybe I souldn't admit it.

When we went to Chicago, from our home in Wisconsin, to visit Grandma, she would give each one of us a walking liberty half. I sure wish I would have been smart enough to save them.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

<< <i>:Shame we allowed others' to remove "real" money from us image >>

I warned you not to date any of my ex-wives! image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when the price of a Pepsi went up from 10 cents to 11 cents because of the embargo on Cuban sugar. This was before the missle crisis.
    And yes, the pop with real sugar did taste better than this modern bilge made with high-fructose corn syrup!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>I remember picking silver quarters out of my dad's change for my allowance ($3.50 per month). I was born in 1962, shortly after the Civil War.

Also, while this isn't the most bizarre thing that has happened to me, it is the most bizarre coin related thing that has happened to me --

I found a steel cent, within the past 5-8 years, on the floor of a supermarket in Dallas, that would have graded MS65 or better. I kid you not. >>

Just be happy you were still able to bend over and pick up that coin at your age!

<< <i>I remember when the price of a Pepsi went up from 10 cents to 11 cents because of the embargo on Cuban sugar. This was before the missle crisis.
    And yes, the pop with real sugar did taste better than this modern bilge made with high-fructose corn syrup!
    TD >>

... and ironically, was healthier for you! image
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't a forum member alive who remembers circulating silver coins.

POTD!!!image
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au contraire mon ami.
    Along with transistor radios and Silly Putty® on the Sunday comics.
  • Geez, im 34 and I remember the occasional silver quarter when i was about 4-5 buying candy. Maybe not a pocketfull ever or even every day but they werent rare to see on a monthly basis. Probably stopped pretty quick when I was 6 though lol (1980). Maybe this post was meant for a barney forum(op avatar too?)
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone here remember when vending packs of one particular cigarette (I think it was Camel) had a penny
    change within the celpohane? That's right; they were 24-cents while the all the other brands were 25-cents.

Cheers,

Bob
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    KLYOTE--Time to remove foot from mouth--

As a kid of 8 in 1968, I remember going through my grandfathers cash register regularly picking out the silver quarters and dimes.

He and I aslo would go to the bank asking for rolls of quarters and halves and would pick out the silver and return them to the bank.

You can still get 40% silver halves from time to time even now.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

<< <i>Does anyone here remember when vending packs of one particular cigarette (I think it was Camel) had a penny
    change within the celpohane? That's right; they were 24-cents while the all the other brands were 25-cents.

Cheers,

Bob >>

...hey bob, i think it was lucky strikes. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    although it be rare...silver still circulates.

my son owns a used tire store ...he gets silver all the time...gives it to dad tho.

once he brought me 2 steel cents and 3 indian head cents.image
  • Very rare to find any silver nowadays. I hardly even bother looking now at my change
  • I think what he meant was officially circulate for want of a better term.Even in saying that 1964 was the last issue for silver coins it's not the best thought out comment.I would hazard to guess there are forum members who know people that were alive when gold circulated.If Gold went out of circulation in the 30's a lot of forum members grannys and soforth of course will have been around and a lot of them still are , i wish each and every one of them good health.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...hey bob, i think it was lucky strikes. >>

I believe you're correct...it was Luckys.
  • <<It boggles the mind when you think about it! Time marches on and all of that.>>

What boggles the mind is that you made such a silly statement.

My 1st whitman was filled with mercury dimes my mother pulled from the register, at the time I was 13 or 14.

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember sitting around the kitchen bar when I was a kid, sifting through them in 1965 and taking all the silver out. Fun times . .

Also . .heading down to Stimpson's Market to the gas pump with a Coleman 1-gal. fuel can on my handlebars and a silver quarter in my pocket. Gas was 24.9 and I got a gallon for my quarter. I got gas for the lawnmower and mowed lawns for money to send off to far-away coin shops to buy exorbitantly overgraded Lincolns for my Whitman folders. Never knew any better. I was PUMPED when that AG 1909-VDB arrived . . and I thought I was on top of the world.

Yeah . .we saw silver coins . . . . .and I just turned 54.

Drunner
  • Franklin was on the half when I was born. I definitely remember a Kennedy Half I had for church in the mid sixties.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    Not only was I alive and getting silver in change, but I remember gas was 25 cents per gallon. Kids now a days. GEEZ!
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Nice Kennedy, raycyca. Love the toning.
  • This thread is definitely a recap of how fast time is passing by... .25 a gallon gas? wow
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I can remember when even my blood circulated.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

<< <i>

<< <i>...hey bob, i think it was lucky strikes. >>

I believe you're correct...it was Luckys. >>

...yeah boy! just one of the many un-filtered smokes back then, along with chesterfields, pall malls and of

course camels. image

• << <i>This thread is definitely a recap of how fast time is passing by... .25 a gallon gas? wow >>

It's often pointed out that the current melt value of the same silver quarter will still buy you a gallon of gas , perhaps a case of the more things change the more they stay the same.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread is definitely a recap of how fast time is passing by... .25 a gallon gas? wow >>

It's often pointed out that the current melt value of the same silver quarter will still buy you a gallon of gas , perhaps a case of the more things change the more they stay the same. >>

In 1900 you could go into a store, throw down a double eagle and buy the finest Colt revolver made.
    Today, you still CAN.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Huh? They were still circulating when I was a child. >>

I remember the big to-do about the changeover to clad coinage, which happened when I was 6. I seem to recall adamant protestations that debasing our coinage would inevitably lead to the ruin of our country.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold hot dogs in 1974.
    There was not a day that went by that we did not get a silver coin!!!!!

A numismatic fail for the OP!!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file