Home U.S. Coin Forum

There isn't a forum member alive who remembers circulating silver coins.

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
It boggles the mind when you think about it! Time marches on and all of that.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Huh? They were still circulating when I was a child.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Your Kids will say the same thing about copper coins
    and yes i do image
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Anyone in their mid- to late 50s should remember them.

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Wrong bucko!image
    Becky
  • I remember them. 5 pop bottles would give me a nice silver dime.

I'm old, but not that ancient!!!!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• BobSavBobSav Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    All my folding blue coin albums were filled with pocket change.

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am 54 and remember silver circulating when I was a kid. Even into the 1970's you would occassionally still find silver in your pocket change.

A few years ago I received a Franklin half dollar in change at a pizza parlor.

My father in law, 91 years of age, remembers gold coins circulating.
  • Mostly all my change when I was a kid was silver coins.
    What are you talking about!!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember them quite clearly, and I'm only 55.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoot, I found over a dollars worth (face value) of circulating silver just this last yearimage
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I recall very well circulating silver and war nickels. I am 56. I have a whole roll of war nickels I collected from change. Even one 1943/2. Like Bob Sav said, alot of it is in the folding blue coin albums. I can recall spending a dateless standing liberty quarter for a hamburger at Tastee Freeze in 1964. I was collecting coins by then and the thing was worn almost smooth and i didnt think it was worth keeping. I can recall spending dateless buffalo nickels and silver Roosies for a 5 cent Wahoo bar from the Good Humor truck at school. I can recall getting yelled at by my dad at a grocery store because we got an old worn out walking liberty half in change and I made a little scene wanting to keep it. I recall pilfering silver and war nickels and wheat cents from my dad's change dish, too. Fond memories image It wasn't that long ago, my friend.

Wow, this is my 500th post too. A nice topic to record my 500th post.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember getting Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Standing Liberty Quarters, Walking Liberty Halves, Morgan and Peace Dollars in change for face value and I'm only 63. Silver coins were still in circulation when I was in college.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 40% halves were still readily circulating well into the 1970's (I just turned 50). And yes I know people still snag these and some 90% silver even today, but I'm talking about circulating, not oops someone cashed in some at a bank where they were quickly scooped up.
    I was visiting an old collector/dealer last week who told me about seeing Barber halves in circulation in the 50's. I guess that explains why most of these are so worn out image
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a 16 oz. bottled RC cola for one silver dime and two copper pennys. About one in three sodas had the RC logo underneath the cork liner of the bottle cap that was good for a free soda. I also remember a McDonalds hamburger for 19 cents when they first opened. There was big fanfare when they put up there first "over 1 million sold" sign. Oh, and they were real beef burgers back then!

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    When we wanted to know if anyone had any change larger than a nickel we asked if anyone had any silver.

Steve
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a proposterous statement to make.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It boggles the mind when you think about it! Time marches on and all of that. >>

I remember them. I also remember being very young and having a penny, and noticing it was different from pennies I had seen before. It had a building on the back.
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It boggles the mind when you think about it! Time marches on and all of that.

Sounds like another wonderful graduate of our modern public school system.

By the way, I distinctly remember spending silver coins at the 1964 New York Worlds Fair. (I was all of 14). That was the same year I went to my local bank to get some of the new 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars - as I recall, they were silver, also.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong, oh Don Kiyote...I spent plenty of silver;Mercs, Barbers, walkers, Frankies, SLQs...etc. They were all still circulating when I was a kid.

Cheers,

Bob
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am 56 and remember how funny the new clad coinage sounded when you dropped one on a hard surface.

Now it is the other way around. When you drop a silver coin on a hard surface, it sings instead of thuds. image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute. Apropos the OP's assertion, how do we know all you respondents are actually alive.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It boggles the mind when you think about it! Time marches on and all of that. >>

Nonsense. I remember spending 90% when I was a kid. Heck I remember using large cents at the penny arcade! image

<< <i>Wait a minute. Apropos the OP's assertion, how do we know all you respondents are actually alive. >>

THANKS! image Now I have 12 bruises on my arms from pinching myself to make sure I was still alive! image
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Why the heck would you say that?!?!
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was born in 1964.I remember getting lots of silver from pocket change in the early 70's.
    Trade $'s

<< <i>I am 56 and remember how funny the new clad coinage sounded when you dropped one on a hard surface.

Now it is the other way around. When you drop a silver coin on a hard surface, it sings instead of thuds. image >>

I remember dropping coins on the kitchen table to see if I had any silver... I haven't done that in 35-40 years! What a shame! image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reports of my demise have been grossly exaggerated.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>

Nonsense. I remember spending 90% when I was a kid. Heck I remember using large cents at the penny arcade! image >>

Okay, New Year's Eve is over... step away from the bottle! Those weren't large cents, they were game tokens! image
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why the heck would you say that?!?! >>

Just making snowballs for others to throw.
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    I too remember silver in circulation.

Got a silver quarter in change just last month. image

A proof no less.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...WOW!!! what a way to attract posts!!!! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • I was in the service when they stopped minting silver coins, and I hope I have a few years left!image
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAAAT!!! You must be of the Logan's Run group. I would almost bet more coin collectors remember circulating silver coins than don't(like I said almost). Another 30 or so years and you could be right.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, mostly to get a discussion started, but I'm also curious what it was like back then!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

<< <i>

Eh, mostly to get a discussion started, but I'm also curious what it was like back then! >>

It was like today, but it was then.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first 17 years of life that's all we had. You might have been closer to being right if you'd said that no one remembers circulating silver dollars.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I remember waiting at the gate in the rain for the 1964 worlds fair to open.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was highly alarmed when comic books went from 10 cents up to 12 cents. That's how it was then.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Not only silver, but SLQ, Mercs, Walkers, silver dollars, Buff nickels and an occasional Barber piece! We only took out the silver we needed to fill the holes in our Whitman™ folders. We should have kept more silver, but hindsight is always 20/20.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Totally untrue! Do the math. image
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    i wasnt alive when they stopped minting circulating silver coins, but many stopped circulating (in the mid 70's) when i came across them. image

BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was highly alarmed when comic books went from 10 cents up to 12 cents. That's how it was then. >>

The cost of a Twinkie two pack was 12¢ when I was a kid.

Russ, NCNE
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Born in 72, had I known about the 72DDO cent, I would have been buyin all the OBW rolls I could, LOL.
    So far in the past 10 years, 2 40% Halves, 2 silver Washies, 1 Winged Liberty dime, 3 silver Rosies.
    I always check my change .
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to review your arithmeticimage
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    My father's friend, who was a dentist, told my father, to start pulling silver coins out of circulation. A trip to Fla. in 1968 was the beginning of pulling silver and the beginning of a collector.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was highly alarmed when comic books went from 10 cents up to 12 cents. That's how it was then. >>

The cost of a Twinkie two pack was 12¢ when I was a kid.

Russ, NCNE >>

YES! If I had as much as 12 cents on me, it was a tough choice deciding to buy the twinkies or penny candy... and baseball cards were a nickel a pack with bubble gum. image
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eh, mostly to get a discussion started, but I'm also curious what it was like back then! >>

Just like today, but with less electronics and rules!
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a child, my parents took the family to Las Vegas. I remember the dollar slot machines, which all had Morgan and Peace Dollars.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

That about broke my heart, too, but then we always had the used comic book store--6 cents with a cover and 5 cents without. Was truly a wonderful 25 cent expenditure at the time. (2 or 3 used comics, an RC Cola and a small bag of candy)
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file