Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Sorry to everyone for all my posting this morning. I'm doing the acetone soak + rinse with distilled water thing on my JH set and I'm bored while I soak. Soaking about 12 minutes on each one in acetone, then rinsing and air / fan assisted drying. Boy, what a difference, my coins are alot shinier without all that white crap on them! >>

Acetone is great for removing organic matter. My FiTrades were pretty dull. Lots of smudges. Almost as though someone tried to wife off fingerprints. Acetone made em shine. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    I'm curious as to what tool do you use to move them from dip to rinse to dry?
  • Options

<< <i> ........... If given the chance should i buy one set myself ? What does my fellow forum members think? Your response is sincerely appreciated.
    Joe >>

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up". image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    >>

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up". image >>

ferris we love you!!!!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm curious as to what tool do you use to move them from dip to rinse to dry? >>

Cheap thin white cotton gloves available in bulk pack. I have an acetone glove, a rinsing glove and a second rinse glove and let the coins dry fan assisted on a clean, dry white cotton towel.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

That's what I do and it works great.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I ordered a set from APMEX...never got an e-mail, just logged into my account and searched ATB and ordered a set of PCGS BU. Was this the norm or could you only order if you got an e-mail from them? Meaning will my order get canceled since I wasn't on the special e-mail list? >>

Apmex will send you an email eventually. Seems those eligible to buy can get their set before they ever get the alert email. I think if your order is completed, you are good to go. >>

That does seem to be the case. I ordered last night after midnight and received my alert email from apmex this morning at 0900.
  • Options
    Does anyone ever get the feeling that they are being a nuisance to their family when asking them for the 9th time if they want another set of 2010 ATB Coins? My sister just went off the hook on me about the whole thing. Who ever knew that I would need family counseling over Pucks image
  • Options
    I unsubscribed to their relentless spam and was able to order a set last night ( I did put in an alert last Dec.). should I still get an email?
  • Options
    seahawkfanseahawkfan Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Apmex is down to 1100 sets so not many left.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    Thank you to all the forum members who answered my questions. You guys/gals ROCK!!! imageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    Is APMEX allowing more than one set per household, anyone try yet?
  • Options

<< <i>Is APMEX allowing more than one set per household, anyone try yet? >>

No, and Yes
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone ever get the feeling that they are being a nuisance to their family when asking them for the 9th time if they want another set of 2010 ATB Coins? My sister just went off the hook on me about the whole thing. Who ever knew that I would need family counseling over Pucks image >>

I'm thinking about starting a group therapy program, where each successful step will be named after an authorized mint distributor. Stage 1 is the GC. Hello my name is smirk and I'm a puck-a-holic.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, same thing happened to me with my brother.....time to back off and definitely stay away for future releases!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone ever get the feeling that they are being a nuisance to their family when asking them for the 9th time if they want another set of 2010 ATB Coins? My sister just went off the hook on me about the whole thing. Who ever knew that I would need family counseling over Pucks image >>

I'm thinking about starting a group therapy program, where each successful step will be named after an authorized mint distributor. Stage 1 is the GC. Hello my name is smirk and I'm a puck-a-holic. >>

I don't have a problem. 10 sets and counting. Whats the problem?

Some say I have a drinking problem. Get drunk......fall down..........no problem!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    The problem is when everyone is at work and no one is around to sign, trips to local pickups if arranged interfer with little league, soccer, other kid activities etc etc.....
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Get drunk......fall down..........no problem!!!!!!!!!

I think you meant :

Get drunk......fall down..........pick yourself up..........stop drinking..........no problem!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    notification for the morning crowd::

<< <i>The official "Guess When APMEX sells out" game...

date and hour of day.

Winner gets..... $1 worth of BU 2009 (P) Log Cabin Cents, unsearched by anyone.

ANY EDIT of the post containing your guess disqualifies you.

Guessing stops whenever I notice than they are down to 375 sets left. >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Down to 921 sets at 1348 est
  • Options
    895 @ 2:02pm EST

going fast now.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry to everyone for all my posting this morning. I'm doing the acetone soak + rinse with distilled water thing on my JH set and I'm bored while I soak. Soaking about 12 minutes on each one in acetone, then rinsing and air / fan assisted drying. Boy, what a difference, my coins are alot shinier without all that white crap on them! >>

Do the cops ever knock on / knock down your door 'cause your place smells like a meth lab? image

Curious, do the TPGs detect this process when grading your coins? Do they consider it cleaning or is it undetectable? I've got a bust half that has some PVC on it and wonder if I should try the acetone trick.

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Got the Dear Bob letter too, and ordered. Didn't think I'd get the alert as I just signed up on the 7th for it. More expensive than DG but still under melt and in PCGS holders too.

Cheers!

Bob

PS: now, on to the 2011s and another mother of all threads...
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    867 at 2:20EST. They're movin'!

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

Do the cops ever knock on / knock down your door 'cause your place smells like a meth lab? image

Curious, do the TPGs detect this process when grading your coins? Do they consider it cleaning or is it undetectable? I've got a bust half that has some PVC on it and wonder if I should try the acetone trick. >>

Took this pic right after I finished cooking my coins when I heard a knock on my door -

No, to my knowledge, "dipping" is allowed and not considered cleaning by the TPGs. I've dipped a gold piece 2 1/2 from 1854, silver from 1892 and a few other coins before submission. All came back with flying colors.

I assume that a percentage of pucks have been dipped prior to submission for grading to the TPGs.

The difference in appearance in the 'as received' vs. 'after dip' is remarkable in my JH puck set.

Funny thing is, it made my one dog in the set stand out even worse as a dog. The appearance of the other four coins improved considerably.

To dip or not dip, that is the question.
  • Options

<< <i>notification for the morning crowd::

date and hour of day.

>>

04/16/2011 @ 9pm
  • Options

<< <i>The problem is when everyone is at work and no one is around to sign, trips to local pickups if arranged interfer with little league, soccer, other kid activities etc etc..... >>

Little League?????Why can't they just understand this is a life or death situation!!!image
  • Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    04-19-11 @ 1406
  • Options
    Anyone know who Apmex is shipping through? I thought it was USPS but now can't find any reference to that.
  • Options
    APMEX: 760 at 3:41PM EST.

They moved ~100 in the last hr.
  • Options
    Wish AMPEX would start shipping. They have waited long enough on this whole project,just want to the the last one out.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, to my knowledge, "dipping" is allowed and not considered cleaning by the TPGs. I've dipped a gold piece 2 1/2 from 1854, silver from 1892 and a few other coins before submission. All came back with flying colors.

I assume that a percentage of pucks have been dipped prior to submission for grading to the TPGs.

To dip or not dip, that is the question. >>

Acetone is not a dip and it is not dipping. It is removing the impurities, oils, fingerprints, etc from the surface of the silver. It is cleaning without the rub, it breaks down organic materials.

Now Dip on the other hand is an acid substance that removes a thin layer of the metal and also removes mint luster if used too much.

Acetone dipping is fine. Dip is left for Rickoimage
  • Options

Apmex sell out guess: April 17 @ 10:00 am CDT (Oklahoma time). Thanks MsM.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I looked at my alert status and I am marked as of 9/17 for the pucks and never received an email from them.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No, to my knowledge, "dipping" is allowed and not considered cleaning by the TPGs. I've dipped a gold piece 2 1/2 from 1854, silver from 1892 and a few other coins before submission. All came back with flying colors.

Acetone is not a dip and it is not dipping. It is removing the impurities, oils, fingerprints, etc from the surface of the silver. It is cleaning without the rub, it breaks down organic materials.

Now Dip on the other hand is an acid substance that removes a thin layer of the metal and also removes mint luster if used too much.

Acetone dipping is fine. Dip is left for Rickoimage >>

I did not know that! I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info! Good to know! image
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know who Apmex is shipping through? I thought it was USPS but now can't find any reference to that. >>

Yes USPS registered.

Joe
  • Options

I'm still waiting for my eligibility email - never received it. Yet somehow I was able to order on the first day. Go figure. image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    notification for the afternoon crowd::

date and hour of day.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Acetone dipping is fine. Dip is left for Rickoimage >>

I did not know that! I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info! Good to know! image >>

I appreciate the info as well!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mere, a paltry, an insignificant, a measely, an fortunate few, only 695 left!!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>A mere, a paltry, an insignificant, a measely, an fortunate few, only 695 left!! >>

sellout prediction 4/17 08:31am
  • Options

<< <i>A mere, a paltry, an insignificant, a measely, an fortunate few, only 695 left!! >>

Guess that blows my next Fri @ 9pm prediction outta the water.

When the going gets tough, puckers buy up! image
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sellout prediction = 9:17am ET - I got my APMEX notification 12 hours after I made my purchase.

Good idea for a contest!

Maine_Jim
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    10:25 am on the 19th will be sellout someway or another.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> ........... If given the chance should i buy one set myself ? What does my fellow forum members think? Your response is sincerely appreciated.
    Joe >>

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up". image >>

chik chik......chika chucka
  • Options
    with the sales rate, they may have had 17,000 alert me's

583 left

• Options
    Any predictions for when PB sells out and announces it on their website?

That will be the end of the AP 2010, mint directed, 5 oz puck fiasco.

I got to hand it to the un-opened Apmex box for sale on fleabay guy back in early Jan., '10 from CU, who sold his sealed Apmex box for some insane amount of money, over $3,000?

To me, that started this entire ball rolling.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any predictions for when PB sells out and announces it on their website? >>

If they would eliminate that W-9 form and need for my SSN I would ensure they sold another set.image
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Thanks for the contest MsM!!!
    I'm guessing sellout will occur on 4/17 at 1:15 EDT image
  • Options
    I guess 8:15PM PST today....April 16.
    Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file