Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a picture of a coin that you know you paid too much for... and you just don't care

MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Not easy to image but I did the best I could

Comments

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    <------- See that coin.

Nice coin in the OP image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Wild looking Dime image
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Not easy to image but I did the best I could

>>

WOW!! Awesome Merc!!!

-Paul
  • Options
    I could see over paying for that dime. Depends how much over.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Wish I could say I didn't care.

Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Mr D,
    that Merc is AT

Just foolin...I love it

See my icon for a coin I paid too much for and just don't careimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    That Merc dime is amazing!!!
    I've got a few coins that fall into this category, trying to find some images of them.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of a few.

imageimage
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like every coin in this thread, but it's hard to beat MrD's Mercury dime. What a stunner! Congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    If that Merc is NT than a lot of the coins that people on these boards poo poo as being AT are probably NT also. If that coin was in a non PCGS holder everyone would be disparaging it. I am not calling it either just commenting. image
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

The 1826 CBH is a sure fire +. The other 2 are super nice, but may not get the extra grade.
    TahoeDale
  • Options

<< <i>...image >>

Now that is nice!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scotland - Thistle Noble, ca. 1588 146/8d

This piece is an extremely rare and one year type. The coin was worth eleven merks or 146 shillings and 8 pence. Curiously the design is a throwback to earlier English nobles of the 14th century. These pieces were not popular, and were called in and quickly replaced by the sixth coinage. the legend around the periphery of the obverse of the coin is IACOBUS 6 DEI GRATIA REX SCOTORUM or James 6 by the grace of God, King of Scots. The legend on the reverse FLORENT SCEPTRA PIIS REGNA HIS IVOA DAT NUMERATQUE or "Sceptres flourish with the pious, Jehovah gives them the kingdoms and numbers them".
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I'll give you three image

image >>

You have excellent taste
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if I did, but might have. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...image >>

Now that is nice! >>

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 2:55PM
    Edited to get rid of photobucket, but same coin and pix.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2017 7:16AM
    sold this large cent a long time ago so decided to edit with the thread getting resurrected
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off the top of my head....

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I paid MS 63 money for this AU 58.

I'm so buried in this coin, I may never sell it.

1896-S - PCGS 58

This coin is scheduled to be professionally imaged.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought this in 2004 when it was the first MS-65 ever certified for the variety. It is still finest, tied with one PCGS-65.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A DB$ I really like.

imageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A DB$ I really like.

imageimage >>

OUCH!!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is logically impossible to overpay for anything one buys since one cannot pay more for an item than it is worth to him at that point in time. One can pay more than any so-called "market value" (and many time I have) but that isn't the same thing at all.

Edit to add: Here's one that I didn't mind paying well over market for--and quite a bit more than I could probably recoup if resold.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I paid for this coin bothered me at the time, but as the years go by it bothers me less and less...

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Do catdogs dream?image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, click on the link in my sigline...I think they all qualify. image

But here's the one that immediately came to mind when I read the title of this thread -

• Options
    Ever responder here appears to have presented credible accounts, with one exception. image

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid too much for this, but I'm not sure when I'll see another early half anywhere near as nice as this ... They don't come any better struck than this one ..

imageimage

This is now one of the plate coins that appears on the Coin Facts site.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Dont own it anymore but it sure is a beauty :-)

" YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Orville, I hadn't seen the original thread in '06. That is an absolutely amzing story and a wonderful piece of history! Congrats to both Tradedollarnut and you! image

Here's one that I paid too much for but just don't care:

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the Norweb 1795, I always wondered who bought the coin. I was blown out of the bidding rather early in that auction. A great provenance that went for about double what I thought. Congratulations to the winners and proud owners.
  • Options
    Go to Search, type in my name under Author and look at any picture I have ever posted.

Actually I have an MS-64 Sesqui I overpaid for, but in the long run what the heck. We can't take these coins or the money with us, so enjoy them while you can. We pass this way but once.

I apologize for not having a picture of the coin.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJ in your own words Stella! That`s a serious Walker... image Congrats...

ABimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file