Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does the year 1876 mean to you?

Thoughts?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 years before I graduated from High School.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    100 years before I was born.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    It is the year of the last Trade Dollar I bought.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

George Custer got a little too big for his britches in June of that year.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    This medal popped into my head

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    The Centennial which Gen. George Custer and most of the 7th Calvary missed by a week.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Wild west.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    The year the National League started.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    america's first 100 years. july 4th
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1876 (MDCCCLXXVI) was a leap year starting on Saturday.image & on January 3, 1st free kindergarten in U.S. opens in Florence, Mass ...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The year of colonial revival in furniture: Queen Anne and Chippendale furniture are made again for the first time since the war for independence.
    Tom

• Options
    Sitting Bull kicked Custer's a#$
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    United States Centennial. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    It means a long time ago
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massacre of Custer and the 7th Calvary and the news reaching the major cities on the east coast just in time to put a real damper on the Centennial celebrations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Centennial would be the big one.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admission of the Centennial State to the Union, Colorado.
  • Options

<< <i>Sitting Bull kicked Custer's a#$ >>

Several forumites are treating this as a joke but the American public though it was a major tragedy at the time. How would you feel if a unit of several hundred Marines were wiped out tomorrow in Afghanistan?

• Options
    Custer to McClelan when Mac and his staff wonderd how deep the river was and how to cross it, Custer broke formation rode

to the middle of the river, knelt his horse and said " Sir the river is this deep Sir"
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options

<< <i>Several forumites are treating this as a joke but the American public though it was a major tragedy at the time. How would you feel if a unit of several hundred Marines were wiped out tomorrow in Afghanistan? >>

Two different types of conflicts. In the current one which I support we are there for the support of the people of Afghanistan. Not to conquer or eradicate them. As opposed to the indian wars in which we conquered and basically eradicated a whole nation (actually many nations) Most other wars this nation was engaged in I supported both as a voter and as former military
  • Options
    These were all renegade reservation jumpers whom would not remain peaceful, were systematically killing and looting and had to be returned to
    the reservation for the peace of all the people as a whole. Custer and his men lost their lives in a valiant yet audacious attempt to bring them in.
    No more no less. Their loss was not in vain, the cry to put a stop to this madness did not go unheaded and it wasn't long before the renegades were
    put in submission.

As far as irradicating nations, the native americans spent their time killing and looting one anothers tribes for hundreds of years on this continent
    as enjoyment and revenge and it was time some new form of government was created that would halt such travesties from continually occuring to their
    families and friends. The Civil war was not kind but it seems to appear to have been necessatated in order to cure another ailment of disunity and slavery
    of which it did both. No Cryng here, both needed to be done and I for one am Proud to be an American and have no shame or ill will toward any of our
    expansionism. We are not imperialist and have not had nor yet harbor any inclinations of world domination.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    For me I think of double die obverse and reverse dies and die rotations.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to being the U.S. National Centennial Year, 1876 was the last year of the Type 2 $20 Liberty Gold Double Eagle.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    It was the end of reconstruction.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 100 years until the Bicentennial!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    28 times the year 67?
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was the end of reconstruction. >>

I was under the impression that reconstruction ended in 1877.... image
    Tom

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>George Custer got a little too big for his britches in June of that year. >>

That was my first thought!!image
  • Options
    There is a nice US Centennial Barber Medal on eBay right now - very interesting:

US Centennial Barber Medal

Rok
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>George Custer got a little too big for his britches in June of that year. >>

That was my first thought!!image >>

Yep, well said.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centennial Exposition
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The year reminds me constantly that I will probably never own one of the extant Carson City twenty centers.image even though I have a complete Unc. set of the rest of CC silver type for the year.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    It reminds me of the 1876cc holed quarter that I have on my keys
  • Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    The few 20C pieces that were made at Carson City - that I will NEVER be able to get to complete my 1876 CC set!
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    The year Colorado became a state (and why it's nickname is the Centennial State).
  • Options
    <<George Custer got a little too big for his britches in June of that year.>>

That was the month and year that my father had his third birthday. Grandfather had his 55th birthday in the following August.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sitting Bull kicked Custer's a#$ >>

Several forumites are treating this as a joke but the American public though it was a major tragedy at the time. How would you feel if a unit of several hundred Marines were wiped out tomorrow in Afghanistan? >>

Chill brother, nobody is saying anything about the troops. Custer had a cavalier attitude and had his eyes on the presidency and was hoping to make a name for himself by settling the Indian problem out west. He was warned by his scouts about what was waiting for him but he didn't listen and paid a heavy price.

I'll even answer your question. If several hundred Marines were wiped out tomorrow in Afghanistan because of the stupidity of a commander who had political ambitions. I would be mad as hell and I certainly wouldn't give the commander a free pass the way history has to George Armstrong Custer.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I think of the wild west.
  • Options
    Hi image

I think of the Statue of Liberty with its arm open to the public at the Centennial Expo. And electric light and the telephone too.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto to most of the above posts...I do think it is a cool enough date to work very hard at assembling this... image

ABimage

• Options

<< <i>Thoughts? >>

Means 100 years before the greatest discovery. Me! image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The centenial of our great nation ... and all of the history of the first one hundred years

From the proclomation of independance and the birth of an "official" nation, to the struggles with commerce, war, property and famine ... to the civil war in all of its horrible, soul seering consequences ... to a nation that was starting to rebound again ... finishing the first one hundred and pressing on towards the next.

The year makes me think of how important the first 100 years were to America, and all of the important and even trivial events that took place during that time.

For the comments regarding Custer, I paste the text from Curly for reconsideration, as it is the best stated summary I could hope to see

Chill brother, nobody is saying anything about the troops. Custer had a cavalier attitude and had his eyes on the presidency and was hoping to make a name for himself by settling the Indian problem out west. He was warned by his scouts about what was waiting for him but he didn't listen and paid a heavy price.

I'll even answer your question. If several hundred Marines were wiped out tomorrow in Afghanistan because of the stupidity of a commander who had political ambitions. I would be mad as hell and I certainly wouldn't give the commander a free pass the way history has to George Armstrong Custer.

IMHO, we might all be very thankful for the outcome, despite the fact we lost a number of good men that day. Custer could have had a very bad influence on our history had he survived and returned triumphantly

editted to ADD imageimageimage

super set there Aurora

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "last words" often attributed to Crazy Horse contains a terse implication of the guard. This widely published account directly contradicts the prior, witnessed statement made to the Post Commander:

“My friend, I do not blame you for this. Had I listened to you this trouble would not have happened to me. I was not hostile to the white men. Sometimes my young men would attack the Indians who were their enemies and took their ponies. They did it in return. We had buffalo for food, and their hides for clothing and for our tepees. We preferred hunting to a life of idleness on the reservation, where we were driven against our will. At times we did not get enough to eat and we were not allowed to leave the reservation to hunt. We preferred our own way of living. We were no expense to the government. All we wanted was peace and to be left alone. Soldiers were sent out in the winter, they destroyed our villages. The "Long Hair" [Custer] came in the same way. They say we massacred him, but he would have done the same thing to us had we not defended ourselves and fought to the last. Our first impulse was to escape with our squaws and papooses, but we were so hemmed in that we had to fight. After that I went up on the Tongue River with a few of my people and lived in peace. But the government would not let me alone. Finally, I came back to the Red Cloud Agency. Yet, I was not allowed to remain quiet. I was tired of fighting. I went to the Spotted Tail Agency and asked that chief and his agent to let me live there in peace. I came here with the agent [Lee] to talk with the Big White Chief but was not given a chance. They tried to confine me. I tried to escape, and a soldier ran his bayonet into me. I have spoken.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    "Sitting Bull just wanted the white men to leave his people alone. In 1868 in Laramie the white men made a treaty giving the Black Hills to the Sioux. The territory went north on the Platte River and east of the Big Horn Mountains. Sitting Bull Sioux felt the treaty was great. The Sioux could now live in peace.

Just six years after the treaty was signed gold was discovered in the Black Hills. Miners swarmed into the Sioux territory. Many Indians gathered into the camp of Sitting Bull. They danced the Sun Dance for many days. Sitting Bull danced until he had to be carried to his teepee. Sitting Bull dreamed the Bluecoats were falling from the sky into the Indians' camp. In the dream he saw the Indians win. His dream came true when General George Crook came into the Rosebud Valley with a thousand men. The white men were defeated.

Sitting Bull then moved the Indians to the valley of Little Big Horn River. Eight days later the Bluecoats attacked at Little Big Horn. The battle was led by Colonel Custer. In a very short time Colonel George A. Custer and all his men were dead. "

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/indians/famous/sitting_bull.htm

Seems like all was well until the discovery of gold.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last year the ill-fated double dime was made for circulation.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The year reminds me constantly that I will probably never own one of the extant Carson City twenty centers. >>

I hear ya!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...will have to wait 100 years for this celebration.

From the Winchester to moon landings. image
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe by 2076 Americans will be so self-loathing and give back the country to the left over Indian Nations, issue a tri-centennial coin commemorating the handover and everything will be perfect and just. image >>

...and now we are here. How in the world did we get to this point? I'm done with this thread.
  • Options
    Two things, really.

Custer/Little Big Horn

&

The introduction of the Winchester Model 1876 "Centennial Model" repeating rifle. Originally chambered in .45-75 WCF.
    Basically a larger framed, more powerful version of the famous Model '73 Winchester.

• Options

<< <i>I think of the Statue of Liberty with its arm open to the public at the Centennial Expo. >>

The Statue of Liberty was erected in 1886. Was there a different Statue of Liberty at the Centennial Expo?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file