Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wow I asked someone to make an offer on BST and he blocked me.

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it to much to ask for an offer these days?

I know it's not what most people want, but if you're
interested in something what's wrong with making an offer?

?????
Your thoughts?

Comments

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they were having a bad day? I dunno...
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people don't have the time or inclination to haggle.
    I am one of them. No offense I just don't care for it.
    Tell me how much you want for it. If I agree I'll buy it if not I'll walk.
    That's just the way I am. image
  • You listed an item on the BST, someone PM'd you expressing interest, you asked them to make an offer regarding price, and they blocked you.

Do I have that straight?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems a bit rash. I wonder why they didn't just decline and leave it at that?

Some inexperienced folks that end up with coins think they have treasure and are offended at the "real" value.
    Could be he's buried in it.

Ooops, I thought you were making the offer.

If you were asking for an offer, I'd guess reluctance for fear of offending... or fear of paying more than I might have been able to get it for.

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You listed an item on the BST, someone PM'd you expressing interest, you asked them to make an offer regarding price, and they blocked you.

Do I have that straight? >>

Yes it was for trade and I said offer me a trade in gold,silver, key coins or cash or combo of above.
    and because I didn't set a price on my item, they blocked me because I can't PM them back.
    Edit.
    Plus they said since you can't answer a simple question.....
    I was replying basicly make an offer it's another way of saying what would you pay?
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ???

Must be having a bad day ... or just isn't a very friendly sort.

???

On the flip side, I aksed someone today if he had some wiggle room on something he had on the BST ... and he gave me back a price I liked image

More on that one when I have her in hand image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's your coin. Price it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>seems a bit rash. I wonder why they didn't just decline and leave it at that?

Some inexperienced folks that end up with coins think they have treasure and are offended at the "real" value.
    Could be he's buried in it. >>

In this case it sounds as if it was the would-be buyer (not the seller) who got upset, because the seller asked him to make an offer.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    What a silly, silly thing to do.

Sheesh!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>It's your coin. Price it. >>

Then why doesn't everyone who sells to me price their stuff I make offers all day long?
    Yes I'm a dealer , but sometimes you'd like an offer. I not quite sure on asking price, but the right coin
    or trade may just fill the bill.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this case it sounds as if it was the would-be buyer (not the seller) who got upset, because the seller asked him to make an offer.

That's how I read it too, and based on which listing I think it is (because I saw it the other day and even bumped it - a rare day indeed for me),
    I can fully understand the Seller's request for an offer. It could be pretty hard to price IMO

If I was a buyer on that one, I'd have to know what I wanted to pay and work it from there

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they didn't like what you said,
    they could just ignore you,
    rather than IGNORE YOU. image
    LCoopie = Les
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    If they blocked you for something as simple as this you are probably better off.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my world, when an individual offers an item for sale regardless of position (collector/dealer) the refusal to state a value/sale price is a sign of lack of knowledge, or a fear of leaving money on the table. Do the best research possible on the item, and if you still don't know how or what to price an item, then don't offer it until such time as you do know. Or, put the item in an auction and let the market decide for you what it is worth. If you feel it is necessary to approach business in the way you've cited above, it also gives the me the impression that you feel entitled to have the superior position in all transactions. Furthermore, I consider the solicitation of private offers here to be no less than conducting a sealed bid auction. This venue is for buying/selling/trading. Usually auctions are frowned upon heavily here. E.O.R. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    You can "block" someone here?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can "block" someone here? >>

My thoughts exactly.

The seller should set the asking price.

--Jerry
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure you can.

Click on the lock above 'forum polls'

Then lower left 'ignore user'.

All my ignore users are long gone.
    A bunch of losers.
    On second thought, maybe they're not. image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sure you can.

Click on the lock above 'forum polls'

Then lower left 'ignore user'.

All my ignore users are long gone.
    A bunch of losers.
    On second thought, maybe they're not. image >>

Wow yet I don't even know where the 'forum polls' are imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • The following are the exact words from my PM with smitty's/

Nevermind... sorry you cannot answer a question...

Reply Delete Top Bottom

Smittys
    Date Posted: Mar/31/2010 7:36 AM
    The whole idea of an offer is you put what you're willing to trade on the table.
    I have mine, if we agree, then there's a trade.
    Guess it's another way of saying what are you willing to pay.

Reply Delete Top Bottom

waterzooey
    Date Posted: Mar/31/2010 7:21 AM
    Thats fine... I want to know how much you want... before I offer a trade I want a dollar amount you are trying to get

Reply Delete Top Bottom

Smittys
    Date Posted: Mar/31/2010 7:17 AM
    I'll consider an offer in trade Gold, silver, or key date coins, or cash, or combo of the above.
    Thanks,
    Smitty

Reply Delete Top Bottom

waterzooey
    Date Posted: Mar/31/2010 7:14 AM
    how much do you want for the barber set?

So rather than wait for a response or anything else I blocked him- Based on this conversation I have no desire to do business with him hence I blocked him... The problem is?
    Ok, found the "ignore user" feature. there is also an 'add Buddy" feature and I just realized that I have no Buddies. image
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    If someone has something to sell, and states "make me an offer", why not just throw out a lowball number and play a quick game of "price tennis"?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a price on your items. Otherwise, I will walk right by.... no price, no interest. Cheers, RickO
  • the very fact that this thread exists is evidence of why I blocked him... Childish and playing games... honestly- Blocking him is such a cataclysmic event that he must start a thread about it? Serious?

c'est la vie...

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, found the "ignore user" feature. there is also an 'add Buddy" feature and I just realized that I have no Buddies. image >>

Well that comes as no surprise! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>the very fact that this thread exists is evidence of why I blocked him... Childish and playing games... honestly- Blocking him is such a cataclysmic event that he must start a thread about it? Serious?

c'est la vie... >>

If you blocked someone, merely because he asked for an offer, your above post sounds at least somewhat hypocritical. I don't see how he overreacted any more than, if as much as you appear to have done.
    I'm trying to do everyone a favor by hijacking this thread. What good is the buddy feature. What rights does a "buddy" have that the rest of people don't have? --jerry
    Guess noone should ever put a make offer on anything
    and I'm not being childish just thought blocking was a bit
    extreme. However that is your choice. Plus I used no names
    just was getting peoples opinions on the subject.
    But in all honesty I do a lot of buying and selling on bst,
    and believe it or not with offers being made and being recieved.
    An easy no thanks works well too.
    Really surprised by a couple responses though.
  • themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    So much for the term "Private Message". With that said, I am no longer on the fence.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Sometimes you don't know what you want to get for an item. He (Smittys) was most likely unsure of what to ask for the set, which is why he asked you to make an offer. Some people cannot just set a "dollar amount" as you stated. It is not a crime. If you like it make an offer, or you can just walk past. No need to block the user.

I had no clue there was a "Buddy" system, I post, read the threads and communicate via PM's. image
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the very fact that this thread exists is evidence of why I blocked him... Childish and playing games... honestly- Blocking him is such a cataclysmic event that he must start a thread about it? Serious?

c'est la vie... >>

To the would-be buyer...Having now seen the exchange of messages, I'm with you on this. You flatly asked him how much he wanted, and you got a bunch of evasive doubletalk about trades, etc. in return. That tells me he's not seriously interested in selling it unless he can get someone to give away the farm in trade. No thanks. Right or wrong that's the impression I get.

To the seller...In short, don't waste someone's time. Price your item, and THEN state "trades considered". Otherwise it just looks like you're fishing for a sucker.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Ahh the joys of retail.

It's not the customers job to price the material.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To the would-be buyer...Having now seen the exchange of messages, I'm with you on this. You flatly asked him how much he wanted, and you got a bunch of evasive doubletalk about trades, etc. in return. That tells me he's not seriously interested in selling it unless he can get someone to give away the farm in trade. No thanks. Right or wrong that's the impression I get. >>

I agree 100%. I've always walked right on by anything that says, "make an offer." All the seller is doing is looking for a sucker.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    I feel so empty inside! Never blocked anyone nor have I buddies. imageimage
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never made an offer to a "make offer" thread.
    I doubt I ever will.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I havent found the pm thingy so I guess i,m unblockable.image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts are :

You probably won't be selling him any coins after this thread. image But don't take it personal.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand why a buyer would want a non-professional seller to price his own coins, but I don't see why he should think it's bad form for a seller to ask for an offer.

That said, just because a seller asks for an offer doesn't mean you have to give him one. And if you don't give him an offer, that doesn't mean the negotiations are automatically over. There are many ways to skin a cat.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe missed it but what was the coin or coin item?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand why a buyer would want a non-professional seller to price his own coins, but I don't see why he should think it's bad form for a seller to ask for an offer.

That said, just because a seller asks for an offer doesn't mean you have to give him one. And if you don't give him an offer, that doesn't mean the negotiations are automatically over. There are many ways to skin a cat. >>

I don't disagree with this perspective, but then I don't think it would be bad form either if a potential buyer asked the OP to provide a detailed description of every coin in that Barber quarter set in order to make a fair offer. How far does anyone think that kind of request would get?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

<< <i>In my world, when an individual offers an item for sale regardless of position (collector/dealer) the refusal to state a value/sale price is a sign of lack of knowledge, or a fear of leaving money on the table. Do the best research possible on the item, and if you still don't know how or what to price an item, then don't offer it until such time as you do know. Or, put the item in an auction and let the market decide for you what it is worth. If you feel it is necessary to approach business in the way you've cited above, it also gives the me the impression that you feel entitled to have the superior position in all transactions. Furthermore, I consider the solicitation of private offers here to be no less than conducting a sealed bid auction. This venue is for buying/selling/trading. Usually auctions are frowned upon heavily here. E.O.R. image >>

Ah jeez...............image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    well dang. I completely forgot to ask: Blocked you from What? image

The name is LEE!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand why a buyer would want a non-professional seller to price his own coins, but I don't see why he should think it's bad form for a seller to ask for an offer.

That said, just because a seller asks for an offer doesn't mean you have to give him one. And if you don't give him an offer, that doesn't mean the negotiations are automatically over. There are many ways to skin a cat. >>

Non-professional? Didn't Smittys say that he was a dealer?
    I would expect a dealer to price their items.

That said, I generally walk away from any/all "make an offer" on the BST as I don't want to offend with a potential lowball offer, nor do I like hearing the super high prices that some want. Just easier to ignore them all and go onto the next coin.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    server burp and a 2ble post

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Smitty's post clearly states make an offer so if you do not want to make an offer why bother pm'ing in the first place. he has lots of "make me an offer posts" and I see no problem with it.
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I sit here and read several of these posts that someone misunderstood why someone did something or didn't do something... I sit here in Kabul wondering if the person shooting at me knows me... knows why they're shooting at me... thinks that "I" asked them to make me an offer and got upset and are now shooting at me... thinks that "I" said something critical about PCGS and bammed me... thinks that "I" like modern coins. People get overworked a LOT over very, very little! I can find it in myself to forgive something so trivial when I put things into perspective... my reality.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I think the harder it is to price an item the more likely it is to be put out there as a make an offer, and the harder it is to have an offer made.
    The easier it is to price or value an item the more likely a price would be put on it but the easier it would be for someone to make an offer.
    If it is almost impossible for the seller to value/price an item and any to difficult for the buyers to be to put a bid in the more likely it ends up on Ebay where the market will take over and price or the item goes unsellable.

Both the potential buyer and the potential seller in this situation did an awkward circling around the BST floor and neither stepped forward since neither would budge from their position of "offer" or "price it" and thus no sale was made. Blocking the seller seems a little harsh since this is a forum of coin collectors and the BST is rather informal, thus bartering can and does take place. This is not Wal-Mart where if something is not priced a mistake was made by the seller and you should avoid shopping there in the future since they can't get their act together. In this forum the poster sets the rules for how the transaction will go. If the seller says "make an offer" and you ask them to set a price then don't be offended if they decline. If they set a price and you make an offer don't feel offended if they turn it down. But I've always felt that if I'm contacting someone else about their BST post, I should try my best to play by their rules, not impose my own.
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Dang

this all got so confusing,, I went and blocked myself.

Now what do I do????

• SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    Good Grief what a silly post. The person blocked the OP absurd but its no big deal. There is nothing wrong with asking someone to make an offer people buy and sell that way a lot. The OP did nothing wrong in my opinion and to be direct is better off that he was blocked it was bad form to say the least.
  • themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Two wrongs =

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file