Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow I asked someone to make an offer on BST and he blocked me.

2»

Comments

• Options

I was going to block both of them, but I clicked on my own name by accident......

......now I've blocked myself and can't PM myself to asked to be unblocked.

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    JSssonJSsson Posts: 891
    Both parties should just move on and agree to block one another and not deal with each other again. It isn't worth the grief and you can always find others to deal with.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    2 forum members accidentally blocked themselves because of this debacle. Which one should we block because of this?-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make an offer, any offer, step right up folks, Carny barkers and coin dealers....
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently made what I thought was a fair offer to a seller on ebay.Rather than get a respectful and simple decline,I got an almost immediate email back informing me that my offer was "ridiculous."

The coin item was being offered for about 2 x retail buy it now or make an offer.My offer was about 60% of what I saw as the real retail price should be.I wanted the seven day return privilege but stated that I would be willing to pay the seller a $20 restocking fee if I found necessary to return.

I mean,if one is that easily offended with an offer why bother putting make an offer out there? Maybe he wants to sell to collectors who are mostly clueless about real coin prices.

I've taken my ridiculousness to the point of not wanting to buy anything from this ebay seller.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Anyone can block anyone else, whether they have good reason to do so or not. It's not worth the time to discuss it.

I'm much more troubled by the fact that one of the parties publicly posted the contents of a communication the other party intended as private, presumably without permission.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer should always price his merchandise and then I'll play or pass. If he isn't sure what it's worth, he should research it first. When he asks for offers, how else would he know what's an acceptable offer if he doesn't know what it's worth?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'm much more troubled by the fact that one of the parties publicly posted the contents of a communication the other party intended as private, presumably without permission. >>

Yup, so to answer that person, that is what the problem is.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to do everyone a favor by hijacking this thread. What good is the buddy feature. What rights does a "buddy" have that the rest of people don't have? --jerry >>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    You should have had a price on the coin if you wanted to sell it. Let this be a lesson to you. If you had, then requested the counter-offer, I doubt this (or, for that matter, any reasonable) buyer would have balked. Not pricing your coin, though, looks very weird, I have to tell you. Sorry...
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never made an offer to a "make offer" thread.
    I doubt I ever will. >>

And I am also blocking the OP, just for the fun of it. image
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I'm much more troubled by the fact that one of the parties publicly posted the contents of a communication the other party intended as private, presumably without permission. >> >>

There's no doctor patient privilege here. I've never fully understood why some members get their undies in a bunch when people post PMs. If you don't want it broadcast then 1) don't write it down and 2) certainly don't write it down on the Internet. To expect privacy in a PM - especially when it's potentially controversial - is silly.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< I'm much more troubled by the fact that one of the parties publicly posted the contents of a communication the other party intended as private, presumably without permission. >> >>

There's no doctor patient privilege here. I've never fully understood why some members get their undies in a bunch when people post PMs. If you don't want it broadcast then 1) don't write it down and 2) certainly don't write it down on the Internet. To expect privacy in a PM - especially when it's potentially controversial - is silly. >>

Some of the folks here could use some couch time in a doctor-patient relationship. image
  • Options
    I only block forum members that don't know what "Private" means in Private Message.

• Options

<< <i>I only block forum members that don't know what "Private" means in Private Message. >>

Again, there's no "private" on the Internet. If you don't want your PRIVATE messages displayed on the forums, then don't say anything stupid to someone you don't know. The person in question posted the PM to defend him/herself against the OP. Which is worse, starting a thread complaining about a person or that person posting a PM to defend him/herself?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

There's no doctor patient privilege here. I've never fully understood why some members get their undies in a bunch when people post PMs. If you don't want it broadcast then 1) don't write it down and 2) certainly don't write it down on the Internet. To expect privacy in a PM - especially when it's potentially controversial - is silly. >>

I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that a private message should remain private. Notice that I used the words "believe" and "should", as opposed to "expect" and "will". And I feel that, in the absence of serious threats or something along those lines, it's very bad form to post private messages.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I only block forum members that don't know what "Private" means in Private Message. >>

Again, there's no "private" on the Internet. If you don't want your PRIVATE messages displayed on the forums, then don't say anything stupid to someone you don't know. The person in question posted the PM to defend him/herself against the OP. Which is worse, starting a thread complaining about a person or that person posting a PM to defend him/herself? >>

"Private Messages" are not verifiable.

For example. PerryHall, do you remember this PM sequence (below)?

RYK

Date Posted: Jul/06/2008 11:11 AM
    Her fleece was white as snow.

Robert

Delete

Bottom

PerryHall

Date Posted: Jul/06/2008 11:09 AM
    Mary had a little lamb.

Delete

Bottom

• Options

<< <i>

Again, there's no "private" on the Internet. If you don't want your PRIVATE messages displayed on the forums, then don't say anything stupid to someone you don't know. The person in question posted the PM to defend him/herself against the OP. Which is worse, starting a thread complaining about a person or that person posting a PM to defend him/herself? >>

Did the OP name names or did he keep the other parties identity private?

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's your coin. Price it. >>

Then why doesn't everyone who sells to me price their stuff I make offers all day long?
    Yes I'm a dealer , but sometimes you'd like an offer. I not quite sure on asking price, but the right coin
    or trade may just fill the bill. >>

He doesn't want to make an offer because he might 'leave money on the table'. If you give a price that is lower than his offer then he'll feel like he got the better end of the deal. He who blinks first usually looses (a little).
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    One more thing you might not be realizing. Asking the buyer to start the negotiations by making an offer is giving you, as the seller, a distinct advantage you otherwise shouldn't have, that being, the power of acceptance, and the ability to bind the buyer to contract. In the beginning, the buyer should have that power and ability over you, as the seller. Again, I'm sorry, but in this situation, I'd have walked from you, too...
  • Options

<< <i>Did the OP name names or did he keep the other parties identity private? >>

I'll grant you the OP did not name names, but apparently the offended party took this thread a challenge/threat/whatever and chose to defend him/herself. The OP lost any expectation of privacy when he started this thread IMHO.

Whenever something like this gets started people almost always say "there are two sides to every story" and "I'll wait to hear the other side." Well, we got the other side from the concerned party and now we can make our judgments.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Did the OP name names or did he keep the other parties identity private? >>

I'll grant you the OP did not name names, but apparently the offended party took this thread a challenge/threat/whatever and chose to defend him/herself. The OP lost any expectation of privacy when he started this thread IMHO.

Whenever something like this gets started people almost always say "there are two sides to every story" and "I'll wait to hear the other side." Well, we got the other side from the concerned party and now we can make our judgments. >>

The other party could have presented his side without disclosing the contents of a PRIVATE message.
  • Options

<< <i>The other party could have presented his side without disclosing the contents of a PRIVATE message. >>

Why not show all the evidence? I'll say it one last time: don't say stupid things in a PM. I understand that it's a courtesy not to post PMs, but if I were the concerned party and someone started talking junk about me I would have done the same thing. I guess that means I won't be getting PMs from any of you image
  • Options

<< <i>Some people don't have the time or inclination to haggle.
    I am one of them. No offense I just don't care for it.
    Tell me how much you want for it. If I agree I'll buy it if not I'll walk.
    That's just the way I am. image >>

if you have something for sale, price it.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The other party could have presented his side without disclosing the contents of a PRIVATE message. >>

Why not show all the evidence? I'll say it one last time: don't say stupid things in a PM. I understand that it's a courtesy not to post PMs, but if I were the concerned party and someone started talking junk about me I would have done the same thing. I guess that means I won't be getting PMs from any of you image >>

Something said in a PM isn't "stupid", simply by virtue of it being included in that PM. But your above post appears to be saying that.

I would have PM'd you, but, based on your view of private messages, felt I would be better off just posting it here.image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they blocked you for something as simple as this you are probably better off. >>

....i agree! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow I asked someone to make an offer on BST and he blocked me. >>

Sorry, I had to. You have bad breath. Quit eating those anchovy sandwiches and I'll unblock you. image

Seriously, though- that seems odd. How do you block somebody anyway? You mean the PM "ignore" function? I only used that once, and I guess the person I used it on was also ignoring me, so it was nothing but silence and I don't really know how that works. PMs just go into the void?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow I asked someone to make an offer on BST and he blocked me. >>

Sorry, I had to. You have bad breath. Quit eating those anchovy sandwiches and I'll unblock you. image

Seriously, though- that seems odd. How do you block somebody anyway? You mean the PM "ignore" function? I only used that once, and I guess the person I used it on was also ignoring me, so it was nothing but silence and I don't really know how that works. PMs just go into the void? >>

....image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

...i just thought of something after reading the posts..................IT'S APRIL FOOLS DAY!!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You listed an item on the BST, someone PM'd you expressing interest, you asked them to make an offer regarding price, and they blocked you.

Do I have that straight? >>

Yes it was for trade and I said offer me a trade in gold,silver, key coins or cash or combo of above.
    and because I didn't set a price on my item, they blocked me because I can't PM them back.
    Edit.
    Plus they said since you can't answer a simple question.....
    I was replying basicly make an offer it's another way of saying what would you pay? >>

You should publicly THANK them for saving you the headaches of having to deal with a PITA buyer, I am sure other sellers would love to have a PITA buyer voluntarily block themselves from creating the typical drama you get from this type of buyer.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smitty, I see no reason not to expect an offer if someone is seriously interested. To block you for simply asking interested parties to make an offer doesn't make sense. I'd be grateful not to have to deal with the person who blocked you. He obviously wasn't serious.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>If someone has something to sell, and states "make me an offer", why not just throw out a lowball number and play a quick game of "price tennis"? >>

<< <i> Thought did go into it. Either someone wants the lot, and I avoid all the work of listing each coin individually along with solo pics, or nobody offers me fair value, and then I have to do all that dreaded work. With offers of $80, $125, $150, and $300....this board seems to just be full of rip-off artists. I will take the time to image and list each coin seperately on ebay now. I will provide the link when its done. The total of these 49 coins will exceed $2,000. Some of you will feel like fools. One guy PM'd me and told me this stuff is just worth melt. An 1807 DBH in G4 is worth $6? I didnt know that! Seated dimes in EF grade are worth $1.25? Wow! The 1994 POW silver commemorative proof is worth $15? The 1807 large cent with slightly porous planchet in VG8 is worth 5 cents of copper? Now you tell me who the scam artist is. >>

<< <i>The only "lack of respect" displayed in this instance were a few PM's telling me my stuff was worth melt only. And offers of $80, $125, and $150. ANYONE familiar with U.S. type coins could take just a quick look at the group photo I displayed and know that there are several coins in that lot worth $150 EACH. So please dont tell me about respect. Im not some "new widow" as obviously some of you hoped I was. An offer of $80? Thats a disgrace, and you know it. >>

<< <i>If you PM me with an offer of $150 for approximately $2,000 worth of coins, yes, I will call you a wannabie thief again.image >>

imagewell, there you go
  • Options

<< <i>I'm trying to do everyone a favor by hijacking this thread. What good is the buddy feature. What rights does a "buddy" have that the rest of people don't have? --jerry >>

Be careful Jerry the buddy feature activates your webcam so your "buddy" can check you out examining your coins in your skivvies. image

Old saying: Friends are friends, but buddies sleep together. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file