Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin show ethics

MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭
Let's say you are a patron at a coin show. You see another patron showing some coins to a few dealers looking to sell and shopping for the best price. Is it unethical to make the guy an offer of your own since you are not a dealer there and have not paid for a table?

Edit:

Now that I have a bunch of replies, I'll throw in my two cents. I have always thought this to be an absolute no-no. The few times that I've been at a dealers table when someone comes by looking to sell coins, I back off and often tell the dealer I'll be back later to make it clear that I'm getting out of the way of his deal. (Although I think it would be educational and entertaining to eavesdrop on the potential transaction.) Maybe he'll give me a break for my courtesy when I return. I assume the same applies if your at a B&M and somebody walks out after rejecting the dealers offer. I would not walk out to the parking lot to make my offer. I think that coin dealers need to earn a living and collectors need to respect this. It is just a hobby for me so it makes the choice pretty clear.
image Respectfully, Mark
«13

Comments

  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't do it right in front of the dealer who he's trying to sell to...but who's to stop you from asking him while he's walking around the show? Seems fine to me.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you walk off of the bourse floor with the seller and do not use any show tables then it should be fine.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    There are some shows that expressly prohibit dealing between two people who do not have tables. You can sometimes make an offer to another attendee, but never do it when you're anywhere close to a dealer's table without their specific permission and never do it in a way that undercuts or disrupts a deal that could be in progress.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I wouldn't do it right in front of the dealer who he's trying to sell to...but who's to stop you from asking him while he's walking around the show? Seems fine to me. >>



    This is not fine. I run a local coin show and as the promoter, I will give you one warning then ban you from the show. The dealers have paid to have the opportunity to both buy and sell coins to the public. When you as the lurker have made the same investment, you will be entitled to the same privilege. If the particular dealer the person is talking to isn’t interested in the coin, one of the many other deals may be.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.


    Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>I wouldn't do it right in front of the dealer who he's trying to sell to...but who's to stop you from asking him while he's walking around the show? Seems fine to me. >>



    This is not fine. I run a local coin show and as the promoter, I will give you one warning then ban you from the show. The dealers have paid to have the opportunity to both buy and sell coins to the public. When you as the lurker have made the same investment, you will be entitled to the same privilege. If the particular dealer the person is talking to isn’t interested in the coin, one of the many other deals may be. >>




    Ban enough people and you no longer have a show. I dont see the harm in making an offer AFTER the dealer has either lowballed or passed. Are you THAT anti-collector?
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have a table you are in the wrong
    That is a fact.

    It is unethical to say the least.

    Of course if you have no values, such as intergerity, do as you wish!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211


  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    try having a coin show without any dealers

    now that would be interesting!!!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211


  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭


    << <i>This is not fine. I run a local coin show and as the promoter, I will give you one warning then ban you from the show. The dealers have paid to have the opportunity to both buy and sell coins to the public. When you as the lurker have made the same investment, you will be entitled to the same privilege. If the particular dealer the person is talking to isn’t interested in the coin, one of the many other deals may be. >>


    I can see what you're trying to say, but do you really think you can prevent collectors from shooting the breeze at a show? I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of two collectors casually talking and a coin for sale just happens to come up in the conversation. If there is a "lurker" at the showing randomly asking anybody and everybody if they have coins to sell, then yeah, that guy is breaking the rules and should be banned. But if a sale takes place on the bourse floor (or outside in the hall, whatever) between two friends neither of those people should be banned.

    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I was shocked at one of my first shows to get yelled at over this practice.

    I saw a fellow collector shopping a couple coins and get 2 lowball offers in front of me. I patiently waited for the dealers to pass on the coins and asked if I could see them only to get yelled at "YOU CANT DO THAT!".

    I think it is unfair to assume at a coin show that dealers have a monopoly over any purchases that come in the door - I understand dealers pay a lot for their table, but I feel that this practice takes away any options for a private seller. A dealer is paying to be able to present their wares to the collecting public, not to set up a 'hotel buy'.

    What if no dealers are interested - is a collector still not allowed to buy the coin?

    I participate in other hobbies including firearms/historical items and this is a VERY common practice at these shows - everyone openly barters at both dealers tables and in the halls.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Also remember that a coin show can be successful without the presence of collectors (invitationals/ trade 'n grades, etc.) but there wouldn't be a coin show without the dealers.

    If a collector wishes to be offered coins for sale at a show and be offered the same privileges as a dealer has then they should consider renting a bourse table.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options


    << <i>try having a coin show without any dealers

    now that would be interesting!!! >>




    Without coin dealers, I can buy/trade amongst other collectors. Without collectors, you'd need to find a new source of income....and thats a fact Jack.image
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it a couple of times.

    But I have waited for the 'seller' to show it to two or three dealers before I have approached him.

    In my case, I feel I was totally ethical about it.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Dealers pay for the tables. If you want to be able to buy from the public, buy a table and make all the offers that you wish. If there were not any dealers paying for the table, then there would not be any coin show.

    It is the same as going in to someone's store and trying to do business with his customers.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

    eBaystore
  • Options


    << <i>Also remember that a coin show can be successful without the presence of collectors (invitationals/ trade 'n grades, etc.) but there wouldn't be a coin show without the dealers. >>




    What a very deranged viewpoint that is. Get 1 thing straight.....if there were no "end users" or as we commonly refer to them....collectors.....all the dealers could take their coins and spend them at face value (thats a Julian quote), and is spot on dead accurate.

    If there were no dealers, collectors could buy/sell/trade amongst eachother.....have a quick gander at the BST as an example.
  • Options
    Maybe dealers should stop trying to low ball everything... image

    This is the main reason I stopped going to my local B@M.. They will offer you 50% less than they are selling
    the same coin for in their showcase right in front of you...
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's change the conditions a bit. If the "lurker" actually rented a table and did not set anything out on it, but simply buzzed around the floor looking for failed transactions to make another offer, how would that be viewed? My guess is that he would not be invited to have a table at the next show.
  • Options
    If shows were fully open for collectors to buy among themselves, would prices suddenly become much more competitive? image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    even another dealer shouldn't broker a deal at a table other than his own unless he is given permission by the table's dealer.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,774 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I wouldn't do it right in front of the dealer who he's trying to sell to...but who's to stop you from asking him while he's walking around the show? Seems fine to me. >>

    image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options


    << <i>If shows were fully open for collectors to buy among themselves, would prices suddenly become much more competitive? image >>




    Ebay has done alot towards that! I realize that there is a ton of garbage on ebay, but there is also a ton of garbage on any bourse floor right in dealer's cases. The real delight is not on the "buying" end as a collector, but rather the "selling" end with ebay. I have sold numerous beautiful coins (slabbed and raw) on ebay for as much as DOUBLE what my local B&M or local show dealers have offered. We as collectors no longer have to put up with the lowball chit anymore. 15 years ago, if you wanted/needed to sell a coin, you had 2 choices....take it or leave it. Ebay has certainly leveled the playing field!
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>This is not fine. I run a local coin show and as the promoter, I will give you one warning then ban you from the show. The dealers have paid to have the opportunity to both buy and sell coins to the public. When you as the lurker have made the same investment, you will be entitled to the same privilege. If the particular dealer the person is talking to isn’t interested in the coin, one of the many other deals may be. >>


    I can see what you're trying to say, but do you really think you can prevent collectors from shooting the breeze at a show? I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of two collectors casually talking and a coin for sale just happens to come up in the conversation. If there is a "lurker" at the showing randomly asking anybody and everybody if they have coins to sell, then yeah, that guy is breaking the rules and should be banned. But if a sale takes place on the bourse floor (or outside in the hall, whatever) between two friends neither of those people should be banned. >>



    There is a difference between a couple buddies doing a deal between themselves. Nothing wrong with that, and that transaction looks and feels different. Also, if the guy with the coin leaves the show and you catch him out in the hallway, I have nothing to say. My interpretation of the OP's question is the parties don't know each other, and one attempts to buy the coin on the bourse floor. I cry foul.

    As for the show, I've never had to ask someone to leave. I have warned 3-4 people during the last seven years. This is not anti-customer. They are why we can be there. But if I'm not looking out for the dealers as well, guess what, they don't want to do my show and the customers that did no wrong are harmed (less competition, smaller selection etc.)
    Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.


    Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I was shocked at one of my first shows to get yelled at over this practice.

    I saw a fellow collector shopping a couple coins and get 2 lowball offers in front of me. I patiently waited for the dealers to pass on the coins and asked if I could see them only to get yelled at "YOU CANT DO THAT!".

    I think it is unfair to assume at a coin show that dealers have a monopoly over any purchases that come in the door - I understand dealers pay a lot for their table, but I feel that this practice takes away any options for a private seller. A dealer is paying to be able to present their wares to the collecting public, not to set up a 'hotel buy'.

    What if no dealers are interested - is a collector still not allowed to buy the coin?

    I participate in other hobbies including firearms/historical items and this is a VERY common practice at these shows - everyone openly barters at both dealers tables and in the halls. >>



    By the way, when I have delivered warnings I have always asked to speak with the person privately. Usually they don't know they've crossed a line, and deserve to be treated with respect, and not publically berated.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.


    Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I wouldn't do it right in front of the dealer who he's trying to sell to...but who's to stop you from asking him while he's walking around the show? Seems fine to me. >>



    This is not fine. I run a local coin show and as the promoter, I will give you one warning then ban you from the show. The dealers have paid to have the opportunity to both buy and sell coins to the public. When you as the lurker have made the same investment, you will be entitled to the same privilege. If the particular dealer the person is talking to isn’t interested in the coin, one of the many other deals may be. >>



    I strongly disagree with this.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised at the dealer responses. They can't stand to see two collectors dealing among themselves without a dealer middleman getting involved so he can profit from the transaction. If there are strict rules against two collectors dealing with each other, the show promoter should post a sign at the entrance to that effect. Then, the two collectors can go outside for a few minutes to conduct their business.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭


    << <i>If shows were fully open for collectors to buy among themselves, would prices suddenly become much more competitive? image >>



    They can. It's called e-bay. Pay the fees, put up with the hassle, and don't post to the board when a deal goes foul.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.


    Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of quandries! I have sat at dealer's tables on a number of occasions and after he passed on some items, asked for and was given permission to look next. Granted, I generally know these dealers. I've even had the dealer at the table say 'you might want to show these to him when I'm done', or something like that. I have also bought $thousands worth of coins from several 'vest pocket' dealers who frequent the same shows that I do, who had badges, but no tables.
    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me...in over 40 years of attending shows it has never occured to me that I should be trying to undercut the dealers who paid to be there.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options


    << <i>I'm not surprised at the dealer responses. They can't stand to see two collectors dealing among themselves without a dealer middleman getting involved so he can profit from the transaction. If there are strict rules against two collectors dealing with each other, the show promoter should post a sign at the entrance to that effect. Then, the two collectors can go outside for a few minutes to conduct their business. >>




    Doesnt surprise me either Perry, but it does disgust me.

    Hypothetical Exchange:

    Collector A : Any interest in this 1924 Saint in MS63 Mr. Coin Dealer?

    Mr. Coin Dealer : Blah, blah, blah, with the rising price of gold, blah, blah, everyone is trying to sell these now, blah blah blah, i'll give you melt for it cuz I have all this overhead, blah, blah, blah.

    Collector A : Well greysheet lists it at around $1350 bid, I was hoping to get close to $1250 at least.

    Mr. Coin Dealer : Blah, blah, blah, greysheet doesnt buy coins, I do, blah, blah, blah, I need to make a living and be able to afford my BMW and 6 vacations a year, blah, blah, blah, I'll give you melt + $50 and thats it.

    Collector A : Thanks anyway.

    Collector B : Hey, I need that coin, and want to pay $1250, here you go!

    Collector A : Ok, sounds good.

    Mr. Coin Dealer : FOUL!!! I paid $120 for this table, blah, blah, blah, and I should have the right to rip John Q. Public, blah, blah, blah, because im a "coin dealer" every 3rd Sunday here at this Holiday Inn, blah, blah, blah.


    See why I have such disdain for dealers in general?
  • Options


    << <i>Maybe it's just me...in over 40 years of attending shows it has never occured to me that I should be trying to undercut the dealers who paid to be there. >>




    Undercut? The dealer HAD 1ST SHOT and refused to pay the price the collector wanted. The other collector was ok with paying that same price. Where is the "undercut"?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,774 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I'm not surprised at the dealer responses. They can't stand to see two collectors dealing among themselves without a dealer middleman getting involved so he can profit from the transaction. If there are strict rules against two collectors dealing with each other, the show promoter should post a sign at the entrance to that effect. Then, the two collectors can go outside for a few minutes to conduct their business. >>




    Doesnt surprise me either Perry, but it does disgust me.

    Hypothetical Exchange:

    Collector A : Any interest in this 1924 Saint in MS63 Mr. Coin Dealer?

    Mr. Coin Dealer : Blah, blah, blah, with the rising price of gold, blah, blah, everyone is trying to sell these now, blah blah blah, i'll give you melt for it cuz I have all this overhead, blah, blah, blah.

    Collector A : Well greysheet lists it at around $1350 bid, I was hoping to get close to $1250 at least.

    Mr. Coin Dealer : Blah, blah, blah, greysheet doesnt buy coins, I do, blah, blah, blah, I need to make a living and be able to afford my BMW and 6 vacations a year, blah, blah, blah, I'll give you melt + $50 and thats it.

    Collector A : Thanks anyway.

    Collector B : Hey, I need that coin, and want to pay $1250, here you go!

    Collector A : Ok, sounds good.

    Mr. Coin Dealer : FOUL!!! I paid $120 for this table, blah, blah, blah, and I should have the right to rip John Q. Public, blah, blah, blah, because im a "coin dealer" every 3rd Sunday here at this Holiday Inn, blah, blah, blah.


    See why I have such disdain for dealers in general? >>



    Gecko----You nailed it.image




    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I'm not surprised at the dealer responses. They can't stand to see two collectors dealing among themselves without a dealer middleman getting involved so he can profit from the transaction. >>

    And I'm not surprised by the collector responses. They're too cheap to pay for a table, but they want to do business like the dealers who *have* paid (and whose willingness to pay those fees make the show possible in the first place, BTW).

    Posted by Julian:

    "Dealers pay for the tables. If you want to be able to buy from the public, buy a table and make all the offers that you wish."

    So... Julian doesn't know what he's talking about?
  • Options
    At Long Beach you can buy the "right" to act as a dealer without a table for a reduced fee. You get the ribbon on your lanyard but do not get a table. This is a way to openly allow vest pocket dealers to work a show.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭


    << <i>Also remember that a coin show can be successful without the presence of collectors (invitationals/ trade 'n grades, etc.) but there wouldn't be a coin show without the dealers.

    If a collector wishes to be offered coins for sale at a show and be offered the same privileges as a dealer has then they should consider renting a bourse table. >>



    You need to read Julian Leidman's tag line - "without collectors we can just spend our collections"
  • Options
    "but they want to do business like the dealers who *have* paid "


    WRONG!

    Im not saying its acceptable for another collector to butt in negotiations between a dealer and collector. But....if the dealer PASSES on a coin that a collector tries to sell them, then whats wrong with a nearby collector ponying up the dough and buying it? That dealer had his chance....he didnt want the coin....he is out NOTHING!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Maybe it's just me...in over 40 years of attending shows it has never occured to me that I should be trying to undercut the dealers who paid to be there. >>




    Undercut? The dealer HAD 1ST SHOT and refused to pay the price the collector wanted. The other collector was ok with paying that same price. Where is the "undercut"? >>



    Is he the only dealer at the show? Even if he was (in other words Sunday afternoonimage the fact remains that the two collectors would never have seen each other if not for the show THAT THE DEALERS PAID FOR.

    If the seller wants to put his coin on ebay and paid the associated fees involved with being put in touch with a willing buyer he can do so.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Maybe it's just me...in over 40 years of attending shows it has never occured to me that I should be trying to undercut the dealers who paid to be there. >>




    Undercut? The dealer HAD 1ST SHOT and refused to pay the price the collector wanted. The other collector was ok with paying that same price. Where is the "undercut"? >>



    Is he the only dealer at the show? Even if he was (in other words Sunday afternoonimage the fact remains that the two collectors would never have seen each other if not for the show THAT THE DEALERS PAID FOR.

    If the seller wants to put his coin on ebay and paid the associated fees involved with being put in touch with a willing buyer he can do so. >>




    True enough, however, you are putting the carraige before the horse. Those dealers would be out digging ditches or working in a factory, or doing some other line of work if it wasnt for the collectors who showed up in the 1st place. Looooong before there ever was the 1st coin dealer, there were thousands of collectors. Like sharks smelling the chum, dealers got involved to service those collectors. And some make a MIGHTY NICE living on it I might add. So for the 30 year coin dealer who has fed his family, put his kids through school, and has enjoyed countless other benefits all at the expense of the COLLECTORS....I seriously urge them to rethink their stance on a couple of collectors making a private deal AFTER that dealer has passed on any offerings. Its just good business sense.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>At Long Beach you can buy the "right" to act as a dealer without a table for a reduced fee. You get the ribbon on your lanyard but do not get a table. This is a way to openly allow vest pocket dealers to work a show. >>



    Now THAT I have a problem with.

    I think dealers should be more upset with this than the occassional collector trying to sell his three or four coins.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>But....if the dealer PASSES on a coin that a collector tries to sell them, then whats wrong with a nearby collector ponying up the dough and buying it? That dealer had his chance....he didnt want the coin....he is out NOTHING! >>

    As has already been stated, what's wrong with it is that there are other dealers at the show.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>But....if the dealer PASSES on a coin that a collector tries to sell them, then whats wrong with a nearby collector ponying up the dough and buying it? That dealer had his chance....he didnt want the coin....he is out NOTHING! >>

    As has already been stated, what's wrong with it is that there are other dealers at the show. >>



    That just doesn't make sense..

    If I go along with your argument, then the opposite should be true....

    That is, before a collector buys a coin from Dealer 'A', should Dealer 'B' through 'Z' be allowed to offer the collector their coin?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>But....if the dealer PASSES on a coin that a collector tries to sell them, then whats wrong with a nearby collector ponying up the dough and buying it? That dealer had his chance....he didnt want the coin....he is out NOTHING! >>

    As has already been stated, what's wrong with it is that there are other dealers at the show. >>




    By that logic, then is it permissible if the collector shopped it around to all 50 tables at a given show, and THEN sold it to another collector at a price HIGHER than any of those 50 dealers were willing to pay? As a dealer at a show, would you have a problem with this? What if it was a collector who had spent thousands of dollars with you in previous shows? Does he get preferential treatment? At what point do you say "yeah, I did pay for this table, but he IS a great customer of mine and did offer me the coin first, so I dont have a problem with him offloading it to another collector"? Or are you so greedy that you have the mindset that if you dont want the coin, that collector should be buried with it?
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>If I go along with your argument, then the opposite should be true.... >>

    No- that does not necessarily follow. If I said "horses are bigger than dogs", would you respond with "If I go along with your argument, then the opposite should be true."

    << <i>That is, before a collector buys a coin from Dealer 'A', should Dealer 'B' through 'Z' be allowed to offer the collector their coin? >>

    A collector at the show can choose to buy from whatever dealer he wishes to, and is not obligated to deal with any that he'd prefer not to.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that I have a bunch of replies, I'll throw in my two cents. I have always thought this to be an absolute no-no. The few times that I've been at a dealers table when someone comes by looking to sell coins, I back off and often tell the dealer I'll be back later to make it clear that I'm getting out of the way of his deal. (Although I think it would be educational and entertaining to eavesdrop on the potential transaction.) Maybe he'll give me a break for my courtesy when I return. I assume the same applies if your at a B&M and somebody walks out after rejecting the dealers offer. I would not walk out to the parking lot to make my offer. I think that coin dealers need to earn a living and collectors need to respect this. It is just a hobby for me so it makes the choice pretty clear.

    I also added the above into my initial post.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options


    << <i>Now that I have a bunch of replies, I'll throw in my two cents. I have always thought this to be an absolute no-no. The few times that I've been at a dealers table when someone comes by looking to sell coins, I back off and often tell the dealer I'll be back later to make it clear that I'm getting out of the way of his deal. (Although I think it would be educational and entertaining to eavesdrop on the potential transaction.) Maybe he'll give me a break for my courtesy when I return. I assume the same applies if your at a B&M and somebody walks out after rejecting the dealers offer. I would not walk out to the parking lot to make my offer. I think that coin dealers need to earn a living and collectors need to respect this. It is just a hobby for me so it makes the choice pretty clear.

    I also added the above into my initial post. >>



    You're confusing me a little with this post. If you're already at the dealer's table, you should be "entitled" to be there to finish your business (whatever that may be). The other person should have to wait.

  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>By that logic, then is it permissible if the collector shopped it around to all 50 tables at a given show, and THEN sold it to another collector at a price HIGHER than any of those 50 dealers were willing to pay? >>

    I would imagine you'd probably not find disagreement with that.

    << <i>As a dealer at a show, would you have a problem with this? >>

    Never been a dealer at a show, but even if I had been, it wouldn't bother me.

    << <i>What if it was a collector who had spent thousands of dollars with you in previous shows? Does he get preferential treatment? At what point do you say "yeah, I did pay for this table, but he IS a great customer of mine and did offer me the coin first, so I dont have a problem with him offloading it to another collector"? >>

    In that case, I'd probably explain to him just what Julian tried to explain to everybody here earlier in this thread- maybe the collector just didn't know.

    << <i>Or are you so greedy that you have the mindset that if you dont want the coin, that collector should be buried with it? >>

    That's an entirely nonsensical supposition and doesn't even begin to address the topic of this thread, except as an attempt to make dealers as a whole look bad.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    This thread has gotten all "chicken or egg" on us. Without the dealers there, there would be no show. Without the collectors there, there would be no show. Obviously dealers are going to see this one way and collectors another. Can't we just agree to disagree? image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>The few times that I've been at a dealers table when someone comes by looking to sell coins, I back off and often tell the dealer I'll be back later to make it clear that I'm getting out of the way of his deal. (Although I think it would be educational and entertaining to eavesdrop on the potential transaction.) >>

    Unless the dealer has made it clear that he wants some privacy, I think you probably don't have to worry about leaving the table as long as you allow the deal to be worked out. I've sat at dealer's tables many times in just such situations and it is educational, to be sure.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭
    >>

    You're confusing me a little with this post. If you're already at the dealer's table, you should be "entitled" to be there to finish your business (whatever that may be). The other person should have to wait. >>



    If I have selected a coin or coins to make an offer on, I will finish my deal (a polite dealer will ask the potential seller to hold on a minute). If, however, I am just scanning the dealers cases looking for something interesting, I will back off and give the dealer room to deal.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭


    << <i>This thread has gotten all "chicken or egg" on us. Without the dealers there, there would be no show. Without the collectors there, there would be no show. >>

    Dealers will pay hundreds of dollars to set up at a show, while collectors (not all, of course) whine about paying a five buck admission fee. I believe it would be possible to get dealers to pay a large enough fee to be able to put on a "dealers only" show. I do not believe you could do the same thing with just collectors.
  • Options


    << <i> >>

    You're confusing me a little with this post. If you're already at the dealer's table, you should be "entitled" to be there to finish your business (whatever that may be). The other person should have to wait. >>



    If I have selected a coin or coins to make an offer on, I will finish my deal (a polite dealer will ask the potential seller to hold on a minute). If, however, I am just scanning the dealers cases looking for something interesting, I will back off and give the dealer room to deal. >>



    I see. But just to make sure. Does this have anything to do with the original concept of "stealing" a dealer's potential business?

    As a side note, that is why shopping malls have the "no solicitation" signs. It's also for those reasons too, so that the average customer can't hawk his wares. Some of the hobby shows I go to also state that business cannot be conducted within their premises too.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>This thread has gotten all "chicken or egg" on us. Without the dealers there, there would be no show. Without the collectors there, there would be no show. >>

    Dealers will pay hundreds of dollars to set up at a show, while collectors (not all, of course) whine about paying a five buck admission fee. I believe it would be possible to get dealers to pay a large enough fee to be able to put on a "dealers only" show. I do not believe you could do the same thing with just collectors. >>



    a 'dealers only' show does happen at every coin show.

    it's called 'early set-up' where probably most deals are done between dealer to dealer when the public is not allowed in.

    at least this is true for all Canadian coin shows.

    I could be mistaken for US coin shows.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file