Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The 1952 Bowman Football Set Registry Collectors Thread

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I think Paul won the lottery...great cards, dude!!!
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Gee,that Ronzani looks familiar....glad the board likes it. It looks great enlarged.
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Received this one in the mail yesterday.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jake you certainly appear to be an expert at finding gorgeous cards in mid grade.

Congrats on another very nice card!

I got one deal in the makings right now other than that Im going to take a break to reload funds and "Enjoy" what cards I have for a bit, so not many scans from me for awhile but I will be keeping a look out for this thread!
  • Options
    Paul thanks for the kind words bud. I can certainly understand you needing a break with all the HEAVY hitting you have been doing. image

I will try to keep this thread going as much as possible.
  • Options
    Sp I received.

• Options

<< <i>Jake you certainly appear to be an expert at finding gorgeous cards in mid grade.

Congrats on another very nice card! >>

Ho Hum just quoting myself- for Jake landing yet another SPECTACULAR mid grade GEM!

Unbelievable image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jake you certainly appear to be an expert at finding gorgeous cards in mid grade.

Congrats on another very nice card! >>

Ho Hum just quoting myself- for Jake landing yet another SPECTACULAR mid grade GEM!

Unbelievable image >>

• Options
    Jake, I second Perkdog's motion! Good lookin' out on the '52 Bowman Larges. As good as the Rams' cards look, for some reason I had not appreciated the Crazylegs Hirsch rendition lately. I am most glad that you posted that here.

Just a month ago I was still buying PSA-graded cards (I'm selling most now, just ask) and picked up this one below from a set break. I read that Gordy Soltau was a sports broadcaster once his playing days ended. Some older collectors may remember this; I can't. The Soltau is not a card that I find particularly aesthetically handsome when compared to many of the gems that lace this handsome set.

Another disparate observation: of course the 49ers' team name derived from when gold prospectors descended upon northern California in droves in 1849. However, to me the 49ers' logo of yesteryear conjures more cowboy-esque imagery than that of a gold prospector.

-Keith

• Options
    Keith,thank you for the comments. Why have you decided to sell off your 52's? You have such a great set going there!!
  • Options
    I love that 49er logo. Not as much as the Cleveland Brown logo, which is.... I think that the 49er on these cards is a gold prospector who was awakened in the middle of the night and thought someone was attempting to steal his gold. Pretty sure he is pals with Yosemite Sam.
  • Options

<< <i>Keith,thank you for the comments. Why have you decided to sell off your 52's? You have such a great set going there!! >>

Well, thank you for that. Your question is certainly a timely one. The short and uninflammatory answer is: "I have had ongoing problems with an authenticator in the industry." (This is certainly a giant understatement).

On to cheerier things - I went back to this thread's opening post and added the Ollie Matson scan back into that post. The link had become broken. The Matson was the hardest card to sell from this set. I have to decide if I'm going to sell others now that some are asking about the Graham, Doak, Baugh, etc.

The 1952 Bowman Large are, in my opinion, the most beautiful football cards (and maybe sports cards) ever issued. You are certainly focusing on a worthwhile subject and procuring some attractive pieces. Nice work!
  • Options
    Hey Keith, Im just going to throw this right out there publicly..

You are among the most passionate collectors Ive seen on the boards here!

Your posts followed by a scan of one of your "Gems" are something I always look forward to and read not only once but a second time as well.

It is entirely none of my bussiness whichever road you chose however I hope to continue to see your presence here one way or another.
  • Options
    Finally found my scanner - so as promised here's a handful of my new purchases.

Bobby Walston
    Keith Flowers
    Jack Simmons
    John Badaczewski
    Bob Waterfield -- how this card is in a 7 holder ?
  • Options
    Yak, nice looking cards!

The walston is a great looking card, whats up with the "Nuclear" looking sky in the background on the Flowers card though? image

Agreed the Waterfield should at least be in a 7.5 holder if not an 8.
  • Options
    Perkdog: thanks for those remarks from yesterday. That means something to me.

Yak Diesel: dude - do you know what you've done here? Yesterday you straight-up dropped the most colorful, robust collage of dope sports artistry in one post that I have witnessed in recent memory. The fact that these cards are almost 60 years old yet maintain such an enduring design - and that these particular examples exude such brilliant color pushes this whole thing to the brink of replete incomprehensibility. Sick stuff.

Then there's the fact that I'm linked to two of the five cards that you posted:
    -Of course, we know that the Badaczewski is the one where you beat me at auction last month by just 50-some cents.
    -Who is the moron-in-full that parted with that Waterfield 7? (It was me image ). That Waterfield is so strong that I would consider making that my computer monitor wallpaper.

These 1952 Bowman Large cards are just ridiculous. I guess that if any collector doesn't care for the look of 1952 Bowman Large cards.... well, they aren't wrong, they're just wired differently than us. image

I sold that Waterfield 7 to Yak-Diggity when I upgraded to this Waterfield 8 below. However, I cannot definitely say that my Waterfield 8 looks any better than Yak's Waterfield 7. Nice job, Yak.

• Options
    Another SP, prolly the finest looking mid grade card I own, Im really happy about the centering on this card!

• Options
    Wow! Perk that's avery strong 6. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw that card in a 7 or 8 holder. Am I missing something??
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! Perk that's avery strong 6. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw that card in a 7 or 8 holder. Am I missing something?? >>

Thanks Frank, it will be resubmitted. Ahh check that- it will be CRACKED and then submitted image

If it does get justice and 7 holdered Im going to be a very happy Man.
  • Options
    Good luck and let me know the results
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck and let me know the results >>

Will do Frank- Thank You.
  • Options
    Im pretty pumped as I just landed this classic Doak Walker card. His best "looking" card in my opinion...

• Options
    P-Money, well the beat goes on with you scooping up both another short-print example and a beautiful Doaker! Congratulations. I rarely see a Schweder in any grade. It appears that you won't need to vie for my Doaker 7 now. That Doaker card is one of those memorable images of which this 144-card issue has many of. It appears that the Doaker is taking some pre-game warmup tosses since he's helmetless. The articulation, color, vividness, and detail of the scene right down to the contrast and color of the blades of grass make this one a standout. Nice job!

You're right - the '52 Large Doak Walker is the best looking Doaker ever made. I think that can be said for many players that were fortunate enough to have their likeness grace the artistic '52 Bowman gems! image

Perkdog - you appear to be like me when I was building my Football HOF Rookies Set last year. It's like you're dispatching bounty hunters to the farthest reaches of the galaxy to find the Millenium Falcon.

• Options
    image I like that Keith! The refference to Star Wars is very funny!

Yes I figured since you were up in the air about letting go of your Doak Walker I would save you the frustration of giving it to much thought and scoop this one up.

I admit Ive lucked out in finding some of these cards, I do plan on taking a small break for a bit now but will keep checking in this thread to see how everone is doing.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Sure Paul...I have heard that before. Small break=until another great 52 Large becomes available. Nice Doak by the way!
  • Options

<< <i>Sure Paul...I have heard that before. Small break=until another great 52 Large becomes available. Nice Doak by the way! >>

I know Ryan image

This time I meen it though! image
  • Options
    I have taken about a million "breaks" .....although well intended, they never seem to last long. I have never been able to go cold turkey for too long. Of couse I have no self control! Let's do an over/under guys...how long will Paul's break last? I will go under 21 days. I know I couldn't go that long.
  • Options

<< <i>I have taken about a million "breaks" .....although well intended, they never seem to last long. I have never been able to go cold turkey for too long. Of couse I have no self control! Let's do an over/under guys...how long will Paul's break last? I will go under 21 days. I know I couldn't go that long. >>

image Well I was actually going to try a little longer than that however mark it here and I will give my word to post a scan if I break down and pick something up!

C'mon wish me luck anyways! image
  • Options
    Ok Ok I had to bring this thread back up! I know I said I was going to wait on a new purchase but this was just a small one image

I been trying to find a decent Tittle to add to my set but have had no luck so I snagged this one pretty cheap and I like it. Hopefully I can find a nicer one sometime though..

• Options
    Paul ....nice Tittle....so how many day break was that? LOL image
  • Options

<< <i>Paul ....nice Tittle....so how many day break was that? LOL image >>

I knew it would only be a matter of minutes before you sniffed this thread out!

"Lurker"

Good to see you Ryan!
  • Options
    Paul....

All I know is that you better get yourself a better sponsor in cardaholics anoymous...because he sucks! He was only able to get you through a week without falling off the proverbial wagon. Jeesh, I would have been able to keep you away longer than that.

No self-control..thats your problem!

Am I the pot or the kettle?????? hmmm.....probably the pot!

• Options
    What have you been dabbling with lately Ryan?

How is your 51 set coming along?
  • Options
    Paul, this is one of those healthy addictions that you want to have. image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The below card is a new addition to my 1952 Bowman Large Registry. Like another card I bought recently, the Heath is one that I committed to buy a long time ago and had nearly forgotten about. Otherwise I've been paring off some from my set lately. Much of what I've sold from this set were graded sub-8.

Anyway, you gotta love the vibrant color pop on these picturesque 'Skins cards:

• Options
    Nice card Keith!

Im at a standstill with my set right now, Im considering selling a few of my high grade cards so I can continue on with my set in a less pricier fashion.
  • Options
    Paul, yes I can understand you taking a breather. At times you've built this legendary set at a torrid pace, and it's fun to watch! It looks like you're up to nearly 30% completion already. Your set is one of the nicest to view, replete with scans and comments.

--------------------------------------------------

Yak, I wonder what it will take to put your set on the Registry?
    By now, you've probably got more nice '52s than ever so I'm sure it wouldn't take much to push you over the top and get it going. So how would you feel if I gave you a 1984 Fleer Alan Wiggins for doing it? It's even got three of its four corners. Or what about a vintage C-3PO figure with loose limbs?

Well, even if you don't do it soon that's OK. I know that you and your wife have put energies into moving into another home recently anyway. The anticipation of registering your set of gems will give us one more thing to look forward to around here. Just know that you could be losing out on this raw Wiggins that's only creased in two areas. image

--------------------------------------------------

Does any collector of this set have a favorite pairing of these '52 Bowmans?
    Here are two Larges from my collection, both Browns - quarterback and receiver, both HOFers, and color contrast with the same bizarre "brown leprechaun" logo. Note that the leprechaun is wearing different-colored pants too. Thank goodness for the logo; I didn't know what a "brown" was until I bought the Graham. What an invaluable learning experience this is. Believe me, you just can't get detailed and deeply cerebral sports card logo commentary like this just anywhere, you know. image

• Options
    Anybody in here have and extra Marchetti, Lary, or Mclhenney for sale?
  • Options
    Hmmm, I was never a big fan at Wiggins. How about a Ron Kittle and it has to be centered, PLEASE .
    That might get me motivated and finally list my set image

I never noticed the difference in the leprechauns before scans. Do all the Browns have cards have yellow or White pants ?

• Options
    <<I never noticed the difference in the leprechauns before scans. Do all the Browns have cards have yellow or White pants ?>>

I had a few minutes to check collectors' scans on the 1952 Bowman Large Set Registry. Nine Browns-attired players (which I believe is all of them) were studied with respect to the color of the leprechuan's pants:

# 2 Otto Graham - 6 cards viewed, all Yellow
    #14 Paul Brown - 6 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 26 Tommy Thompson - 5 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 50 John Sandusky - 5 cards viewed, all White
    # 62 Walt Michaels - 4 cards viewed, all White
    # 86 Dub Jones - 5 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 105 Lou Groza - 4 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 111 George Ratterman - 5 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 128 Dante Lavelli - 6 cards viewed, all White

As such, no variations within any of the nine individual cards was observed for these relatively small sample sizes. Though I don't expect to see it, if anyone has a card that has an exception to the color stated, show it here.

Also of note, I read that the Browns' "leprechaun" is actually known as the "Brownie Elf". I like the name "leprechaun" though. Can you believe that Paul Brown would coach a team with such a logo?...Sheesh. Thankfully, in the mid-'60s, Art Modell phased out the leprechaun, believing it to be "too childish". It must have worked for them though with all the championships that the Browns won, and four of the nine guys stated above were inducted into the HOVG. Gosh, what a laughingstock logo though. No wonder the Browns are the only NFL team with logoless helmets today! image

Thanks to JMDVM, Cardscanner, JT, and Skittles for having most or all of the 144-card set scanned on their Registry. Nice. A specific reason to look at these artistic cards is always a treat.

This was obviously legitimate subject matter for advanced academic study. I don't even expect a Master's Thesis for this. I mean really...in 2010, is there anything more relevant to everyday people than a discussion on the color of a defunct 60-year-old leprechaun logo's pants color as illustrated on bubble gum cards? Nothing immediately comes to mind. image

• Options

<< <i><<I never noticed the difference in the leprechauns before scans. Do all the Browns have cards have yellow or White pants ?>>

I had a few minutes to check collectors' scans on the 1952 Bowman Large Set Registry. Nine Browns-attired players (which I believe is all of them) were studied with respect to the color of the leprechuan's pants:

# 2 Otto Graham - 6 cards viewed, all Yellow
    #14 Paul Brown - 6 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 26 Tommy Thompson - 5 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 50 John Sandusky - 5 cards viewed, all White
    # 62 Walt Michaels - 4 cards viewed, all White
    # 86 Dub Jones - 5 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 105 Lou Groza - 4 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 111 George Ratterman - 5 cards viewed, all Yellow
    # 128 Dante Lavelli - 6 cards viewed, all White

As such, no variations within any of the nine individual cards was observed for these relatively small sample sizes. Though I don't expect to see it, if anyone has a card that has an exception to the color stated, show it here.

Also of note, I read that the Browns' "leprechaun" is actually known as the "Brownie Elf". I like the name "leprechaun" though. Can you believe that Paul Brown would coach a team with such a logo?...Sheesh. Thankfully, in the mid-'60s, Art Modell phased out the leprechaun, believing it to be "too childish". It must have worked for them though with all the championships that the Browns won, and four of the nine guys stated above were inducted into the HOVG. Gosh, what a laughingstock logo though. No wonder the Browns are the only NFL team with logoless helmets today! image

Thanks to JMDVM, Cardscanner, JT, and Skittles for having most or all of the 144-card set scanned on their Registry. Nice. A specific reason to look at these artistic cards is always a treat.

This was obviously legitimate subject matter for advanced academic study. I don't even expect a Master's Thesis for this. I mean really...in 2010, is there anything more relevant to everyday people than a discussion on the color of a defunct 60-year-old leprechaun logo's pants color as illustrated on bubble gum cards? Nothing immediately comes to mind. image

image >>

Glad my scans were helpful. Unfortunately PSA censored all my scans of the leprechauns without pants......
  • Options
    While recently paring some of my more expendable '52 Larges, I noted that their closing prices were higher than expected relative to some other issues that I had sold.

Well, every year I go to visit my Grandmother in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Before my last visit, Grandma knew that I had poured what she deemed to be excessive expense and emotion into vintage sports cards since my previous visit. She couldn't understand this. So I decided to bring just one card during my upcoming visit and see what she thought. During my stay with her, I showed her the chosen card on the last day. She marveled at how beautiful the card was stating that, "That is really nice" and even gasped. My wife concurs that it also the most beautiful card she's ever seen.

Grandma probably still doesn't endorse my hobby. But she sure hasn't criticized it any longer since I shared the sweeping panoply of vivid color on the subject pictured below. That is a familar card to those that collect this set, and appears below. The grade is nearly irrelevant; the art on some of these 1952 Bowmans is almost out of this world.

• Options

Anyone out there still working on this set?

• Options
  • Options

Yeah, still working on it, but not like the old days. I was trying to get everything in PSA 7 or above, and it just was too much. So, I'm about halfway through both the small and large sets, with all of my small cards raw and all of my large cards PSA graded. It isn't on the registry. I am purposely not registering it so I won't be tempted to compete. I am picking up nicely centered (or at least reasonably nicely centered) PSA 4-6 cards, and they look ok. I anticipate finishing my Topps/Fleer/Phila run from 1956-present within another couple of years, so when that happens (hopefully), I can really devote my energies to finishing up the Bowman beauties.

Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

Great to hear your still grinding out such a massive set, both the Large and Small is a big deal. I'm making a fool out of myself starting the Large set AGAIN, I've started and quit this set like 4 times. This time around I'm not doing it in 7-8 grade like before, I'm actually doing it all over the place ranging from 4's through 8's, I'm selecting some very nicely centered lower grade SP's to fill in the blanks, I'm hoping this time around I can get this set finished. I'm only around 20% but I literally started it back in November. The old days here are gone, not so many familiar faces and not much posting.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭

Those two cards show exactly why I am not chasing the high grades anymore. A 3 and a 4, and they are gorgeous!

Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Anyone out there still working on this set?

Hey Perkdog! I'm still out here! Haven't had an opportunity to do much with thi 52 Large set. Over past 3 years I bumped Spencer,T.Rote,O'Donahue,Ulrich to 7s but have the following I have not been able to bump from 6 to 7: Justice,Ecklund,Christian,Conerly Schweder,H.Johnson, Dillon,Johnston,Romanik, Lansford
    As for the small, I need to bump Vitamin Smith,Kuharich,Kasten,Wozniak, Dillon,Stydahar,Hogan,Soltau

Good luck in your quest.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2017 7:05PM

Hey JMDVM, you got a great collection of these cards for sure. I don't know if you had any bids going but a 7 Schweder just smashed for $1600+ on ebay and the Christian went for over a grand which was got some serious action as those cards they are tough as nails to get. Watching ebay lately I see alot of other '52 Large have gone way down in price, but it's still the best looking football set ever in my opinion though.