Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The 1952 Bowman Football Set Registry Collectors Thread

As this seems to be one of the more popular vintage football card sets to collect, I thought it was high time to have a dedicated thread. I just started the 1952 Bowman Large Football Registry this summer, where most of my additions were cards that I already had for the Football HOF RCs Registry. I've since added a few more, and currently rank a humbling 21st out of 30 registry sets.

The set's bright colors, simple yet attractive design, high number of Hall Of Famers, and considerable challenge to complete it in high grade have all fueled my desire to make this my first Company Set Registry. Yes, a set so attractive that I will buy commons! image The cards of some teams, such as the Washington Redskins cards, virtually explode with those effervescent gold-and-maroon hues. L.A. Rams cards have the mega-cool color scheme goin' on too. What a timeless classic, and few cards embody "miniature art" better than this one.

Note that I intentionally named the thread to accommodate both 1952 Bowman Large and Small Registries.

NOTE: Edited months later only to repair the broken link to the scan.

Comments

• Options
    that really is a great card!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith your passion for Vintage Football shows with every post you make!

I do love these cards and have bought and sold many of them in my tenure as a Vintage Football guy, there is no question this set is my favorite. I consider myself a novice when it comes to collecting this set but I do know that no matter how you try or how much disposable income you have this set will drive you insane trying to complete it in 7+ grade, Ive said it numerous times that certain cards become available once every few years- sometimes longer.

The centering is a major problem with the majority of these cards too, even some PSA 8's are touched by bad centering as far as eye appeal goes. I got around 50% complete with a 6+ gpa and said forget it, I regret selling off the majority of my collection but it was the right thing to do for me. My 2 big cards - the Van Brocklin and Conerly were in 7 holders but had some "issues" to them such as poor centering on the Conerly and a touch of back damage and a tad undersized on the Van Brocklin, I was able to post a nice profit on both cards so it was worth it to me to liquidate them.

I plan on picking a few back up here and there in decent condition but definatly wont challenge you in your quest image When I do I will post some scans to your thread.
  • Options
    These are some of my favorites in the set- I have other "Favorites" as well and will post some more as this thread develops more.

• Options
    Check it - Perk-dizzle is in the hizzle! What's up, Paul?! You're coming in strong with these scans. In fact, what you've posted is quite a coincidence because I was going to post the Baugh next and your two other posts are cards that I hold in high regard. With cards this handsome, grades are almost secondary. Breaking it down:

#16 "The Giff" - Classic action pose with a poppin' background. Historically a significant "Top 250" card.
    #120 Deacon Dan Towler - Stellar complimentary Rams colors make this one of the set's better cards much like #25 Tank Younger and #137 Bob Waterfield.
    #30 Sammy Baugh - The hottest piece in the joint - not just the 1952 Bowman Football Set, but one of the most attractive football cards ever issued. Slingin' Sam's maroon jersey and helmet stripe on top of a backdrop of orange hues fading to ochre remind me of the pallet of color range found on a Rainier Cherry. Bowman definitely dropped one sick rectangle on us here. This is also one of my favorite players to collect as I have registered a Sammy Baugh Player Set.

Strangely, this most comely of Sam Baugh cards has something in common with that red carpet photo of Kim Kardashian in People Magazine that I surely never saw or ogling Lady Gaga in that last video that I certainly never replayed on YouTube. Truth be told, the commonality is that it's hard to stop looking at all three. image

Fabulous to see such activity in the set. I just added some more scans to my fledgling effort. -Keith
  • Options
    Here are a few others I wanted to post, the McElhenny is the type of PSA 5 I dont mind adding to my collection- its similar to my Gifford as far as centering goes which is most important to me as well as clean backs.

The Rote is a fun looking card, love the expression on his face along with the autumn leaves in the backround giving it that football weather atmosphere.

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Hi Paul.... good to see you back in the cardboard action.

Here are some of the my favs..at least ones that havn't been shown yet...

• Options
    Here is what box looked like, this has to be a very rare item. I stole the scan off of Ebay quite some time ago image

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd contribute to this. Here's my Rams team set (oh, these are the large versions):

Steve
  • Options
    The Bowman Rams cards look so sweet..they are some of my favorites.
  • Options
    Well, well, well...what a fine parade of scans we have going on here! It looks like there's two Top 250 Sportscards In The Hobby above - Gifford and Van Brocklin. All of those raw Rams cards collectively posted display that Rams color scheme beautifully, thanks.

Paul, I should have bought your Van Brocklin when I had the chance a few months ago. I was pleased to get the Graham from you though! You're right - the autumn leaves in the Kyle Rote background look more seasonal than the green-leafed backdrop on the Halas card. Halas must have shown up early for training camp two-a-days. Thanks for adding in what the box looks like - uh, what are the two players on the right side of the box doing? Dude, can you imagine cracking wax on 1952 Bowman Large? It would be a "must" to post on YouTube.

BDB, I clicked on your link. Is that an authentic Sammy Baugh jersey above your fireplace? Even a replica would be cool. (More Kardashian too?).

On the subject of Baugh and one of the more blazing cards in the set, I'll "sling" my Sam here:

• Options
    That is one hot looking 1952 Bowman Large Jim Lansford PSA 8 for auction over there at Andy Madec Sportscards' latest offering. Eye-popping color and POP 6, only two grading higher.
  • Options

<< <i>That is one hot looking 1952 Bowman Large Jim Lansford PSA 8 for auction over there at Andy Madec Sportscards' latest offering. Eye-popping color and POP 6, only two grading higher. >>

That is pretty much what you would call an "Elusive PSA 8" it will be worth what it gets which I guess will be somewhere in the 12-15K range, although I believe Davalillo needs one for his set so it could reach the 20K mark.

This card outside of PSA 8 is drastically over hyped AND over priced, I see psa 5's and 6's with QF in the $2500 range which is ridiculas, there are much tougher cards to find in the set such as the Schweder, John Lee Hancok and more than likely the Stydahar as well.

Great looking card though and a must have for a Registry collector who is looking for competition!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is one hot looking 1952 Bowman Large Jim Lansford PSA 8 for auction over there at Andy Madec Sportscards' latest offering. Eye-popping color and POP 6, only two grading higher. >>

That is pretty much what you would call an "Elusive PSA 8" it will be worth what it gets which I guess will be somewhere in the 12-15K range, although I believe Davalillo needs one for his set so it could reach the 20K mark.

This card outside of PSA 8 is drastically over hyped AND over priced, I see psa 5's and 6's with QF in the $2500 range which is ridiculas, there are much tougher cards to find in the set such as the Schweder, John Lee Hancok and more than likely the Stydahar as well.

Great looking card though and a must have for a Registry collector who is looking for competition! >>

On cue from Perkdog, here's two of my SPs from this great set:

imageimage
  • Options
    Let's keep this thread going. Here's my latest two additions:

imageimage
  • Options
    Here is few more from my collection, I have a bunch more I just need to get around to scanning...The Taliaferro card is a favorite of mine.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Here is a great looking Rams card! The card is much nicer in hand thean the scan, it looks like its missing part of the corner but its not image

• Options
    Thanks for sharing a copy of the elusive John Hancok (sic) card above. Also, the SGC 88 Walter Michaels card gets points in my book for one big reason - the player is depicted with the old school "Red Grange-style" helmet! I mean really, what makes a football card look cooler and more vintage than that? Fantastic.

The '52 Bowman Large Waterfield and especially Tank Younger card look terrific for the Rams color scheme. They're beauties, Paul! You know, it's funny. The Waterfield and Younger scans have now been posted on this thread at least twice but they're so captivating that it hardly matters. Looking at them could never get old.

Here's one from my collection below. Although "Concrete Charlie" represents my favorite team, I can see through any Eagles bias to know that most '52 Bowman Redskins and Rams cards look better in my opinion. Hopefully this should appear clearer than my earlier posts with this new scanner:

-Keith

P.S. The Message Board wouldn't let me spell John Hancok with the proper spelling, stating that it is a "forbidden word".
  • Options

Above are two cards from my collection that depict two Cleveland Browns HOFers. Wide Receiver Dante "Glue Fingers" Lavelli was Quarterback Otto Graham's battery-mate.

There's kind of an interesting story between Perkdog & I about this Otto Graham card. I'm almost sorry to place the scan here, Paul. image I know you're a good sport though, so I didn't hesitate. This might make you feel slightly better - I had the Lavelli reviewed twice and both times it came back an '8'. image

-Keith
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone notice the Large Jim Lansford in Andy Madec's recent auction?

Link

Went for over $10K!

Steve
  • Options
    The 1952 Bowman Large Football seems a special set worthy of focus. The artwork is just so remarkable. I'm uncertain which set is most aesthetically pleasing to me - the 1951 Bowman or the 1952 Bowman Large.

Based only on eye appeal, are the 1952 Bowman Large your favorite Vintage Football set? If not, is it in your Top Five? Here's mine...uh, at least today image :

#1) 1952 Bowman (Large)
    #2) 1951 Bowman
    #3) 1935 National Chicle
    #4) 1950 Bowman
    #5) 1955 Topps All-American
  • Options
    1952 Bowman Large by far is my favorite

In order...

1952 Bowman Large
    1951 Bowman
    1953 Bowman
    1950 Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1954 Bowman
    1955 Bowman

I dont really care for the AA set only because it was not a set made up of current players at that time, also I know this is blashpemy to some but I do NOT like the 57 Topps set whatsoever.
  • Options
    Here's my top five:

1-1952 Bowman Large
    2-1950 Bowman
    3-1951 Bowman
    4-Mayo Cut Plug
    5-1957 Topps
  • Options
    mine changes all the time..but currently

1951 Bowman
    1952 Bowman Large
    1948 Bowman
    1950 Bowman
    1955 Bowman
    1935 National Chicle...I can't put anything above my beloved Bowman!

By the way, does anyone know if BMW cards still has that ginormous 52 Bowman large find stashed away still..or are they all in general population now?
  • Options

<< <i>mine changes all the time..but currently

1951 Bowman
    1952 Bowman Large
    1948 Bowman
    1950 Bowman
    1955 Bowman

By the way, does anyone know if BMW cards still has that ginormous 52 Bowman large find stashed away still..or are they all in general population now? >>

PERSONALLY I believe he has it stashed. He is selling some High Grade Smalls on ebay, I bet he doesnt want to "Flood" the market with the Large cards, I talked with him extensivly last year and he was very evasive to me and wouldnt offer me any "big cards" I mean he found THOUSANDS of these and has yet to put them out there as far as I know.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>mine changes all the time..but currently

1951 Bowman
    1952 Bowman Large
    1948 Bowman
    1950 Bowman
    1955 Bowman

By the way, does anyone know if BMW cards still has that ginormous 52 Bowman large find stashed away still..or are they all in general population now? >>

PERSONALLY I believe he has it stashed. He is selling some High Grade Smalls on ebay, I bet he doesnt want to "Flood" the market with the Large cards, I talked with him extensivly last year and he was very evasive to me and wouldnt offer me any "big cards" I mean he found THOUSANDS of these and has yet to put them out there as far as I know. >>

-------------------------------------------
    I agree with you Paul...over time his supply of higher grade 52's will hit the market...and it will dfinately impact the "market value."
  • Options
    Interesting...didn't know that about BMW. Sounds like a good time to wait to buy to see what the market holds going forward? How do you think he will ultimately release them into the hobby?
  • Options
    First of all on the Lansford, it's pretty remarkable that popularity and condition circumstance cause a "common" to have the only "10" Grade Weight for our set. This might be the only forum in the world where Jim Lansford "ranks" twice as high as Otto Graham. image I believe that the other bookend, Van Brocklin, is the only "9" Grade Weight.

Wow, well what a scientifically meaningful study I've spawned. So collectors of 1952 Bowman Large also generally feel that it's the nicest-looking set. Imagine that! image Really though, I like seeing how everyone ranks their aesthetic faves and hope that even more will chime in.

Are BMW's subject Bowman Larges graded? If I were them, I wouldn't be aggressive about offering nice cards in a tough economy. I too would put the lesser ones on the block first.

• Options

<< <i>Interesting...didn't know that about BMW. Sounds like a good time to wait to buy to see what the market holds going forward? How do you think he will ultimately release them into the hobby? >>

I have no clue as this find goes back to 2002 and Ive seen articles that show him at a table holding 10 each of Gifford Rookies BOTH Large and small ( 20 total ) Oh and on that table shows 24 STACKS of cards each with a Large Jim Lansford on top.

Accorging to his article he found- 3,351 assorted Bowman Large cards along with 5,000+ more Bowmans 1950-1955, the only breakdown in his article of individual 52 Large's are as follows...

38 Norm Van Brocklins, 45 Grahams, 33 Giffords, 59 Charlie Trippi's and 22 Jim Lansford even though it clearly shows 24 on the table.

Again I dont know what his deal is other than he is a huge pain to deal with, he talked in circles with me for about 6 months when I was trying to deal with him- apparently $5000 of my money was no good for him. Someday I will run into him at a show and I will try to clear the air with him but until then he is a mystery man as far as Im concerned.

Edit- By the Way Brian I know you read these forums and if you can remember accordinging to our last email I did promise not to bash you and you can see I kinda kept my word. Feel free to email me if you got a problem with anything Ive said. image cb3302fan@aol.com
  • Options
    I picked up these 2 from Brian....I wonder if they were part of the Wichita Find??????

I would think that the release of these cards would be done in a very slow, random way over a long period of time. I would also guess that some have been cherry picked by the elite collectors and are already out in circulation.

I believe that many of these cards were graded by SGC.
  • Options

<< <i>Holy Smokes! >>

I saw that too...an "ugly" 9 IMO...well ugly might be too harsh, but not centered well enough to get me to pay that kind of dough.
  • Options
    Let's bump this up with another 'Tank' and a Tarasovic:

imageimage
  • Options
    Looks nice! To my eye, the Tank Younger is probably a Top Five beautiful card in the set. Despite the fact that I like this set's cards of professionally-uniformed players rather than collegiately-attired gridironers, the Tarasovic is appealing for the orange color, not to mention the overall smart composition common to most of this set's cards.

I added a card to my set tonight (depicted below). Well, how cute. Now that I've added the Ziegler, Perkdog and I occupy successive spots on the Registry and we even updated our sets on the same day. Isn't that just so...dear? image

I'm surprised that the reverse of Zigs' 1952 card reads that he was the Eagles' leading rusher in 1950 and 1951. So where the heck was "Big Boy" Steve Van Buren? Maybe he was slowing down.
  • Options
    Hi Keith, very nice Zeigler! As far as Van Buren goes he was winding down his illustrious career by 1950, he did play in 1951 but before the 1952 Season started he had a devestating knee injury that ended his career.

I finally got around to scanning and adding cards to my sets, here are some more of my '52's, I will post up some other Football in the Vintage Football thread as well.

• Options

<< <i>I finally got around to scanning and adding cards to my sets, here are some more of my '52's, >>

Hey Paul...does this mean that your back to building the great 52 Large set? Are the Graham and Nomellini cards the ones you said you were going after recently? Nice cards!
  • Options
    Perkdog, nice material! All of your late additions are NM condition or better, so...nice grades too! I most like the HOFers - Graham, Nomellini, Tunnell, and Joe Perry. I'm glad you've re-added an Otto Graham since you sold me mine a while ago. There was a nice grouping of PSA 7+ 1952 Bowman Larges that ended on eBay earlier this week offered open-auction style; I hope you were the beneficiary on some of those attractive offerings.

Over the weekend I set up a table at a small local card show (more on that later in the Sports Cards & Memorabilia forum) and sold my Gifford 4. I only sold it because the buyer paid me twice what I bought it for, and a PSA 4 is a replaceable grade. I'm sure not selling many cards into this rough economy. In fact, I've been regularly buying cards from this economy because this is probably a smart time to buy "on the dip". To that end, I'm on the creep for a Giff now.

For me, the Gifford, Graham, Van Brocklin, and Baugh are the four most special cards when considering the factors of beauty, value, and popularity (with nods to the low POP commons and others like the Matson, Marchetti, Van Buren, etc.). Congrats on newly landing one more of the four, Paul. Classic stuff.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I finally got around to scanning and adding cards to my sets, here are some more of my '52's, >>

Hey Paul...does this mean that your back to building the great 52 Large set? Are the Graham and Nomellini cards the ones you said you were going after recently? Nice cards! >>

Thats a big negative as of right now image Who knows down the road, there are a bunch that I want in my collection regardless if I do the set or not, this time around I plan on going slow and not diving head first into it like I did before. It is my favorite set however I love all the early Bowmans and plan on picking up alot of different stuff including Old Photos- reprints or originals it wont matter because I do have a passion for those as well. Like I said in our Vintage Football thread Im going to try and stick with collector grade 7, the PSA 8 game ruined it for me because it was a crap shoot which 8's would get the .5 bump and with that crap shoot came a HUGE swing in money- I had just 2 cards out of my 15 or so 8's that bumped and of those 2 I made over $800 but the frustrating thing about it was certain 8's that didnt get the bump yet were BETTER looking than the ones that did would have been even greater swings of value..case in point that Bednarik I sold you Keith, that card is the nicest 8 Ive seen yet it gets shot down TWICE??? Had that gotten the bump like it should have it would have gone from a $1300 card to possibly a $2500 card. Its too frustrating of a game for me, so Im just going to slowly move along with this and enjoy the cards without worrying about that evil money part of it image
  • Options

<< <i>Perkdog, nice material! All of your late additions are NM condition or better, so...nice grades too! I most like the HOFers - Graham, Nomellini, Tunnell, and Joe Perry. I'm glad you've re-added an Otto Graham since you sold me mine a while ago. There was a nice grouping of PSA 7+ 1952 Bowman Larges that ended on eBay earlier this week offered open-auction style; I hope you were the beneficiary on some of those attractive offerings.

Over the weekend I set up a table at a small local card show (more on that later in the Sports Cards & Memorabilia forum) and sold my Gifford 4. I only sold it because the buyer paid me twice what I bought it for, and a PSA 4 is a replaceable grade. I'm sure not selling many cards into this rough economy. In fact, I've been regularly buying cards from this economy because this is probably a smart time to buy "on the dip". To that end, I'm on the creep for a Giff now.

For me, the Gifford, Graham, Van Brocklin, and Baugh are the four most special cards when considering the factors of beauty, value, and popularity (with nods to the low POP commons and others like the Matson, Marchetti, Van Buren, etc.). Congrats on newly landing one more of the four, Paul. Classic stuff. >>

Glad you made a nice profit on that Giff Keith, agreed that a PSA 4 is definately expendable especially for 100% profit!

And yes I did land the Graham, Parker & Nomellini from that recent offering on Ebay, I overpaid about $25 on the Graham but Im OK with that, the Parker is one that Ive always wanted as well but my high bid of $65 was never good enough for some reason but this time it was- go figure. The Nomellini is a great looking card, one of those ( like the Perry ) that just exemplifies 1950's Football cards IMO There was a PSA 7 Tank Younger that I retracted my bid on because after looking at the card ( Im not sure if you looked or not ) but it had a horrible tilt to it, personally it looked trimmed to me and I decided to stay away.

I look forward to your post on your set up at the card show.
  • Options
    My newest addition...

• Options
    Perkdog,

You're back with a Van Brocklin again! Way to go. The Dutchman pumping the white football; one of the top cards of the set and looking nice in it's SGC holder. You know Van Brocklin's got a place in my heart too since he was the Eagles' QB last time they won it all in 1960 (hoooo boy...that's a really long time ago image ).

I'm still amped that you're already back with an Otto Graham too. You know, the '52 Otto is mega-cool. I like his 1950 rookie card well enough. However, waiting two years from then is an improvement in a lot of ways since you get the same artistry in a larger scale. Here I go getting excited about '52 Bowman Large again.

I had to leave a comment in the #8 Ranked Set "Cardscanner". It's pretty cool that he owns the top set with virtually all scans shown. I really appreciate that kind of thing. It makes for a good reference too.

1952 Bowman Large just continue to impress me the more I look at them and deal with them. If any non-collector ran smack on a collector for calling some Sports Cards "miniature art", then I suspect you could get the non-collector nodding their head in agreement once they see some 1952 Bowman Football cards.

Well, at some point I need to rock just the right Doaker 8. In the meantime I'll happily "peace out" with my 7...

• Options
    Paul.....funny story...

I almost threw my computer through the wall because I was trying to bid on that Van Brocklin with 20 seconds left. I put in a high bid of $250.00 and when I clicked the bid button, my computer hour glass started spinning and by the time it was "unfrozen" my bid did not register. I was swearing up and down when I saw it go for so low! I feel better knowing that you won it though..and my bid not registering saved you some dough image

congrats on a great card!

I like things better when you were on a cardboard "vacation!" image
  • Options

<< <i>Paul.....funny story...

I almost threw my computer through the wall because I was trying to bid on that Van Brocklin with 20 seconds left. I put in a high bid of $250.00 and when I clicked the bid button, my computer hour glass started spinning and by the time it was "unfrozen" my bid did not register. I was swearing up and down when I saw it go for so low! I feel better knowing that you won it though..and my bid not registering saved you some dough image

congrats on a great card!

I like things better when you were on a cardboard "vacation!" image >>

That is freaking hilarious! I didnt think to check in with you about it because I figured you wouldnt be interested because of your nice 6! Glad we didnt bump heads anyways... I feel bad that happened to you but at the same time Im smiling!
  • Options
    Hi Keith, well when you upgrade that Walker maybe we can wheel & deal so I can peace out with that 7!! image

Im pumped about the Van Brocklin, easily my top 3 in favs in the set- Baugh & Giff are my others...
  • Options
    Keeping with Tradition, I had to buy a card on Thanksgiving as I always do.. Large scan for a "Large" style '52 Bowman

• Options
    Paul nice pick-up! I like your tradition....great minds think alike! Although not a 52 large...I picked up this beautiful 6 for my 51 set today...a tough #1 card of the set.

Happy Turkey Day guys! We should all be thankful that we are blessed in our lives that we can enjoy and share this great hobby together.
  • Options

<< <i>Paul nice pick-up! I like your tradition....great minds think alike! Although not a 52 large...I picked up this beautiful 6 for my 51 set today...a tough #1 card of the set.

Happy Turkey Day guys! We should all be thankful that we are blessed in our lives that we can enjoy and share this great hobby together. >>

Agreed Ryan, we always need to take a minute and count our blessings image

Super looking card too, you got yourself a winner with that PSA 6!
  • Options
    Got this in the mail today. A less known Hall of Famer. One of Sammy Baugh's favorite targets during the beginning of his career.

• Options
    Nice card Ryan! That card was a very hot item when the NFL HOF Rookie set registry was on fire last year, nice looking card as always in the SGC holder.
  • Options
    Nice cards, guys. I especially like that Walker and Van Brocklin. Here's my latest addition:

• Options
    I trust that all had a swell Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing the above scans.

Darn, I was sleepin' on that SGC 70 Large Van Brocklin, so congrats there! I like the Millner tie-in with Slingin' Sam.

It's funny, the above tradation and scans fit right in with what I did. I bought BMW Cards' Marchetti - depicted below - on Thanksgiving Eve. This is my third PSA-graded '52 Large Marchetti now. Why? Sometimes when Hall Of Fame Rookie card and 1952 Bowman Large card meet, it simply becomes overwhelming and just too hard for me to exercise appropriate restraint. image -Keith