Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The 1952 Bowman Football Set Registry Collectors Thread

Comments

• Options
    Its been posted here quite a bit, but here is the small version of the Baugh. Yak has chastized me over the phone before over this, but i actually prefer the smalls. They were issued prior to the larges, and I think they are a bit more condition sensitive, so nicer in higher grades.

And a few others, including the old divisible by 3 Towler... image

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe If we happen to get together this Year at the National you can expect a stern talking too by me as well about you prefering the Smaller '52's over the Large. image
  • Options
    Joe, don't believe your wife's reassurances. Size matters - and my PSA 8 '52 Baugh is bigger than yours.

No really though - I prefer the Large but either size are terrific since they're both designed the same. Actually I need to upgrade my '52 Small Baugh for my Baugh Player Set. Other than filling player set slots, I'm mostly about the Larges. There's never a need to apologize for overposting '52 Baughs. It is unequivocally one of the best-looking football cards ever issued.

Thanks for throwing in the Towler. It is just another brilliant 1952 Bowman design and an image so vivid and captivating that it almost protrudes out three-dimensionally toward the viewer. I appreciate you sharing this stuff, and look forward to seeing more.

There's simply no other set quite like this one.

• Options
    Keith that very well might be the best looking Baugh 4.5 in existence image
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, as always, guys. Here's my latest addition:

• Options

<< <i>Great stuff, as always, guys. Here's my latest addition:

image >>

Nice Mark! Are you doing strictly SGC or a mix? I cant remember but how far are you into the set?
  • Options
    jrmazzeojrmazzeo Posts: 22 ✭✭
    FYI all, a whole bunch of graded Large and a complete Small set were listed on Ebay last night by wcsports1. Many of the Larges are in 7 and 8 holders including an 8 Stydahar. SHould be fun bidding against everyone for some of them. Good luck!
    I'd rather invest in cards than stocks.
  • Options

<< <i>FYI all, a whole bunch of graded Large and a complete Small set were listed on Ebay last night by wcsports1. Many of the Larges are in 7 and 8 holders including an 8 Stydahar. SHould be fun bidding against everyone for some of them. Good luck! >>

I think he means "Should be fun beating you all out on the ones I bid on" image

Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options

<< <i>FYI all, a whole bunch of graded Large and a complete Small set were listed on Ebay last night by wcsports1. Many of the Larges are in 7 and 8 holders including an 8 Stydahar. SHould be fun bidding against everyone for some of them. Good luck! >>

Holy smokes, JRM. You're right! It's about time that there is a (potentially recession-induced) higher-end set break for 1952 Bowman. I've been waiting for this. Good lookin' out.

• Options
    Hey Paul,
    I'm doing strictly SGC on the Large side, but I will pick up and cross nice looking PSA examples. I just sent (9) Larges in PSA holders to SGC for crossover. That will put me at about 25% or so complete with the set.

Mark
  • Options
    I'm sure that a number of readers probably saw the results of the following poll conducted by PSA.

PSA Insider Survey Results

Question: Which one of the following vintage football issues exhibits your favorite card design?

19% answered 1948 Leaf

34% answered 1952 Bowman Large

35% answered 1957 Topps

13% answered 1965 Topps "Tall Boy"

I voted and although it was a narrow vote, I would not have predicted this outcome. It's not quite an Eli Manning to David Tyree - ball against the helmet - Giants over Patriots upset but still looks like an upset to me.

The question asks about card design. Well, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and "To each their own"...but really?

Interesting.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't believe that poll either. To me anyway, the only sets that come anywhere close to 1952 Bowman, are 1951 and 1950 Bowman, and 1935 National Chicle!

Steve
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    What's funny about that poll is that some of those are my LEAST favorite sets. Honestly, of all of the sets of the 50's, the 1957 set to me is the least attractive. I understand it has a boatload of key rookies, but as far as looks goes it can't compare to the 1956 Topps set. And when you put it next to 1951, 1952, or 1955 Bowmans... well, the 57's just don't look good at all. The tallboy 65's are highly collected, but I again, wouldn't rate them at the top of any vintage list. This thread is about one of the greatest sets ever, the 52 set. I just don't see any of the others even coming close.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    It is very strange- check that- It is absolutely dumbfounding to me that anyone could rank the '57 set as a better design as the 52 set, or even the 50 or 51 set for that matter.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I voted 48 leaf...image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't believe that poll either. To me anyway, the only sets that come anywhere close to 1952 Bowman, are 1951 and 1950 Bowman, and 1935 National Chicle!

Steve >>

Steve, that's almost eerie. image My thoughts would have me write that exact same sentence regarding best vintage football card design.
    1955 Topps All-Americans are another set that would seem a credible survey option if presented.

I think that the reason 1952 Bowman Large Football narrowly missed winning the poll is simply because some respondents may not have read the question more closely.

They voted for the 1957 Topps set because it has a lot of acclaim and enormously popular seminal issues of Starr, Unitas, Hornung, Nighttrain Lane...and to a lesser extent Raymond Berry. There may have been just enough of those people to chalk up the upset. (No direct offense to '57s - I own many).

Of course, 1957 Topps has no Sammy Baugh or Otto Graham cards like the 1952 Bowman...not to mention the Hall Of Fame quarterback shown below.

Although this set has some great RCs, probably only the Frank Gifford RC provides the acclaim of those aforementioned headlining '57 RCs. Of course, some can make cases for Matson, Marchetti, McElhenny, Donovan, and others too.

• Options
    BIG DOINGS tommorow night around this time image
  • Options

<< <i>BIG DOINGS tommorow night around this time image >>

Better open that checkbook, Paul...image
  • Options

<< <i>BIG DOINGS tommorow night around this time image >>

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. image Whatever this is about, be careful because the internet is a dangerous place. Once I heard someone say they got ripped off on a site called "eBay", so always steer clear of that one - no brainer. Why would a nice guy like you want to be on a site like that anyway? It's your money but a young guy should never spend money on something as ridiculous as these tired old football cards. I mean...whose really gonna care about those things in the future anyway? They're only beautiful, collectible, valuable, scarce, tied to a game of swelling American interest, and consequently have price appreciation potential.

Certainly your BIG DOINGS refer to something more fruitful and productive for society, thankfully. Whatever it is. image

I'm sure we'll all have a knee slappin' good time bidding. -Keith

• Options

<< <i>Certainly your BIG DOINGS refer to something more fruitful and productive for society, thankfully. Whatever it is. image

I'm sure we'll all have a knee slappin' good time bidding. -Keith >>

Fruitful and productive? Yes Sir, I plan on stimulating the economy

Knee slappin' good time bidding? Oh yea me punching holes through my computer screen because my high bids wont be good enough will be a great time!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Anyone here win the Bednarik?

I came in second and I thought my bid was sick. Congrats to the winner.

aconte
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I just lost on the one card I wanted image

Good luck to everyone else image

Steve
  • Options
    Well Im pretty much in the middle on how I feel I did, I stayed away from the Bednarik thinking I had a solid shot at the Van Buren & Conerly but I was wrong. My bids were just shy...

I am VERY happy with my pick ups though, I got the George Conner MUCH cheaper than I thought and its a gorgeous card.

I also won the Hartley which is an SP and a nice Joe Perry for short money.

The Stydahar? WOW big money as expected..
  • Options
    Keith or Davallio I expect won the Stydahar?
  • Options
    I won 5 cards ( all commons ), unfortunately lost out on the Stydahar. I guess I will have to wait another 5 years until the next one image
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I tried to do my part and stay away from these 52 auctions...it was tough! I did bid on some of the 51's the seller also had..but they went for crazy money too. I did pick up one 51 Bowman. Couldn't afford to bid the high bucks because I spent too much on a card last week....which kept me from even having a hope to get one of the nice 52's.

Congrats to any one picking up those beauties! Paul I was tempted by the Connor too! I think the seller left some money on the table though. If he would have spread the auctions over a few weeks, I think they would have done even better...especially on the commons. Most people went after the big fish cards, and didn't pay attention to the prized minnows!
  • Options
    I haven't been looking at vintage Bowmans lately. Stupid question guys, were these auctions on Ebay? I'd like to track the results.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    The night before the auction, I viewed all the '52 Bowman Large eBay offerings again. Then before I fell asleep I recalled the offered cards that I don't yet own and considered which ones became best etched into my memory as memorable and beautiful. I focused on winning those. They were:

#112 John Badaczewski PSA 8 - lost by 50 cents!
    #134 Chuck Ulrich PSA 8.5 - lost, 2nd highest
    #137 Bob Waterfield (HOF) PSA 8 - won

Sheesh, I narrowly won the Waterfield. Stiff competition! I won a couple others last night too.

I threw a decent bid on the Stydahar 8 and Landry 8.5, but 3-4 bidders outbid me on each one. I got beat like Sheldon Brown in deep coverage. These and similar acts led me to think "What in the heck is going on here? Aren't we in the 'Great Recession' where unemployment is high so we're supposed to rock some sweet deals?" It just wasn't happening for great vintage football material.

No, I wasn't the Bednarik winner. I'm fortunate enough to have bought a PSA 8 Bednarik before I even decided to collect this legendary set. If I didn't, I would have fervently thrown some Pacquio-esque haymakers at ol' Concrete Charlie. Sorry that you didn't get it, Aconte.

One card that I should have paid more mind to was the George Halas PSA 7. I dismissed it because it wasn't a PSA 8. However, considering Halas' historic importance as the de facto founder of the NFL, I should have thrown some bids in there.

Well, I imagine that next week the set will see more red ("Updated") flags than they have at the United Nations. Though I expected to win more, the whole offering was fantastic. It's nice to hear what others bought. Also, can anyone kindly tell me about how often high end '52 Bowman Large set breaks like this occur? I haven't been buying cards long enough to know yet.

-Keith
  • Options
    I recall 2 big set breaks of 52 large in the past 3 or 4 years. Mint state had one and the others remnants are still on eBay now. Most of the buy it now PSA 8's in eBay now are this break. I know Paul picked up a few from this break.
  • Options
    Great minds think alike Keith,
    I won the Badaczewst at my max bid - I spent about 3 hours yesterday just looking over all the of the scans and I thought this was one of the nicest 8's he had for sale.
    But were even, because I really wanted the Waterfield and I think I was 3 high bidder on the Ulrich

I didn't do to bad, I ended up winning 3 of my top 7 cards that I wanted.

Won
    Badaczewski 8 thanks Keith for not bidding 56 cents higher image
    Jack Simmons 8 awesome centering
    Bobby Walston 8 nice centering
    Keith Flowers 8
    Jerome Smith 8

Better than I thought,
  • Options
    Well all day today I been giving last nights festivities some thought and am leaning towards the "a little annoyed" mixed feelings.

First off I stayed away from the Bednarik because I planned on a few strong bids on the Connor, Van Buren, Conerly and possibly the Matson.

Connor- My Winning bid was almost 1/2 of what my high bid was so I was VERY pleased.
    Van Buren- I actually ran out of time trying to enter a higher bid on this one, however as Fate would have it I wouldnt have won it anyways- the $868 Hammer was about $18 higher than what I was punching in.
    Conerly-My two bids were just shy however Im a little torn about not forcing a winning bid because the card looked good enough to crack out and possibly get a 7 rather than the PSA 6 it had.

Personally I think the whole affair was very stressfull with multiple tough cards ending at the same time, it definately made it difficult to snipe and to gauge what type of bid needed to be placed.

I had alot of "If I win this or Dont Win This" bids planned image

I do agree with Ryan that he left money on the table with the way he spread his cards out, after the big money cards got scooped up I think I made out on some decent steals such as the PSA 7's Perry, Hartley & Nipp.
  • Options

<< <i>I recall 2 big set breaks of 52 large in the past 3 or 4 years. Mint state had one and the others remnants are still on eBay now. Most of the buy it now PSA 8's in eBay now are this break. I know Paul picked up a few from this break. >>

That's it?!? I thought these breaks would happen more often. Had I known, I would have been even more attentive for Sunday's auction. It seems possible that my PSA 8 Large Sammy Baugh came from this break (?). I bought it more than a year ago from S. Novella. BTW, though that Baugh isn't nearly my most valuable card, it is among the Top 3-5 favorites in my collection.

Well, here's a VCP stock image of the object of Yak & I's affection. The one that I was outbid on by 50 cents the other day. I'll reserve Yak the honors of posting the image of his actual pending PSA 8 Badaczewski if he so chooses.

Buying the Waterfield 8 the other day has freed up my Waterfield 7. As much as I like looking at it, I don't need duplicates. Color and Centering is above average, see below for yourself. $150 to the first one that PMs me. I'll pay Priority Mail shipping.

• Options
    Regarding the break up and sale of 1952 Sets, both that Ive seen happened last year within 3 months of each other. MintState handled the break up of I believe the # 2 set on the registry at the time. The set had some very nice cards but overall most of the cards were off centered and pretty much fair examples for the grades, for example it had a PSA 7 Van Buren that I passed on because it looked more like a 7 "OC" than anything else- it sold for considerably less than the one that sold for $800+ the other night. Steve Novella did another set break a few months later after winning the thing off of a major auction by Memory Lane I think although I cant remember for sure, that set had some really nice cards however seemed a little pricey compared to MintState's dismantling of the previous set.

As far as 52 Set breaks happening often? Well in the matter of a 1.5 years we have seen 3! Before that I have no clue, Im not sure its because of the recession or the fact that 3 of these sets have been broken up and made available but dare I say that obtaining these cards are not as difficult anymore?
  • Options
    With more exposure to the 1952 Bowman Large Set, I've noticed the New York Giants player cards are straight checkin' in with lots of aesthetic charm. I think some of us have already expressed that the Redskins and Rams cards look terrific. For me, the Giants cards may very well settle in third position with their sweeping chromatics including terrific historic sports portraits of:

#63 Charley Conerly
    #101 Arnie Weinmeister (HOF)
    #131 John Rapacz
    #142 Tom Landry (HOF)

To that end, Near Mint, whom is a terrific resource and friendly - has a gallery of cards that most have probably seen. The 1952 Bowman Large Football Gallery spans eight pages.

Back on the Registry, I figure that some have noticed that the #1 ranked set just hit a GPA of 8.00 yesterday.

The Waterfield 7 that I placed here for sale yesterday was quickly snatched up by an advanced collector. I think that he plans to start his 1952 Bowman Large Set on the Registry soon. That Waterfield is saturated with deep color. Gosh, it was hard to pack up and send off that comely antiquity. I should have my Waterfield upgrade in-hand soon enough so I'll try not to shed a tear in the meantime.

If anyone wants to break up their 1952 Bowman Large Set, do it now. Bidders are standing by. You've got my bid. image
  • Options
    I noticed that about the #1 set as well Keith, I know the owner Dave Kjeer and speak with him about these cards from time to time.

Interesting thing is that the majority of his cards were bought raw and submitted!

I like your pecking order of favorite team cards- Rams, Redskins & Giants. Although it is immpossible for me to pick a #1 looking card- it is a complete toss up between the Gifford, Van Brocklin & Baugh
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have an idea what a fair price to pay for a decently centered PSA 6 Graham would be?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody have an idea what a fair price to pay for a decently centered PSA 6 Graham would be?

Thanks in advance. >>

Not entirely sure however here is something to compare- Mike at Nearmintcards.com has this PSA 6 Otto Graham

I bought several nice PSA 7 examples ranging from $325-$400 over the years.
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that was the Graham I actually had my eye on. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on it.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, that was the Graham I actually had my eye on. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on it. >>

Shoot me a PM
  • Options
    I got my crossover results back from SGC...not real pleased. Hoping for 1-2 bumps..got none. All were straight crosses. I think I should crack and sub next time.

They look great in the SGC slab...but they would look MUCH better with a few SGC 84 flips!
  • Options
    I got my crossover results back from SGC...not real pleased. Hoping for 1-2 bumps..got none. All were straight crosses. I think I should crack and sub next time.

Big Daddy, though you're not real pleased with your results, I'm sure some people could die happy if they owned those six beauties for just one day. image If these were straight crossovers, I guess that you did well if all six converted in one attempt. In my experience, if one tries to crossover six SGC-holdered cards to PSA not all would even cross at the same grade. Nice stuff here - not "just" Hall Of Famers, but all six are well-known HOFers. You're right, they display better in SGC holders.

-------------------------------------------

I've got to say that I'm having real fun associating with other posters' knowledge, ideas, collecting history, and scans presented on this thread already. I am also proud to state that I experienced no collusion attempts with that recent blockbuster set break. Everyone was on the up-and-up, and I didn't observe one instance of "I won't go for this card if you don't go for that card" collusion attempts. Of course, such collusion has a long-term deleterious effects, chiefly depressed prices. Additionally, this is about the longest continuous on-topic thread that I have regularly followed. Impressive bunch here! Thanks for your help in collecting this most beautiful of all vintage football sets.

-Keith
  • Options
    Great cards, Ryan...

I didn't have the same success as Big Daddy Bowman. I didn't get these back yet, but will post the results in the interim:

Todd PSA 6 went to SGC 80 (Equal)
    Beck PSA 6 went to SGC 50 (Downgrade of 2 points)
    Christian PSA 3 went to SGC 40 (Equal)
    Toth PSA 5 went to SGC 80 (Upgrade of 1 point)
    Edwards PSA 5 went to SGC 50 (Downgrade of 1 point)
    Cook PSA 4.5 went to SGC 50
    Pihos PSA 4 went to SGC 50 (Equal)
    Weinmeister PSA 4 went to SGC 50 (Equal)

Mark
  • Options
    Keith....you had to be optimisitic and not let me wallow in my crossover misery!

thanks for the kind words guys.....

Mark....sorry about the tough luck on the grades. That is why I submit in slab and set minimum grade becasue I don't have the ballz to take a risk on grade drops.
  • Options
    By the way...what's a little collusion amongst friends? image

• Options
    Ahhh Yes its always nice when the Mailman delivers new cards to be added to the set and ofcourse new scans to be added to the thread image

These are my selections I won from the recent Ebay Offering of a set break, the Connor is easily my favorite of my new crop.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    The Connor card is fantastic!

I kind of like the Nipp card too for some reason.
  • Options

<< <i>The Connor card is fantastic!

I kind of like the Nipp card too for some reason. >>

Thanks Ryan!

Its easy for me to know why I like the Nipp, his expression is priceless along with the action pose. Its just like the Weinmeister card- he too looks like he is getting ready to crush a ball carrier image
  • Options
    Those are all super cards, Paul!
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Connor! My computer froze while I was bidding on the Bednarik and by the time I could get rebooted, Connor was gone......Make me feel better and tell me your high bid would have been above $225, which is where I was going. I got the Ronzani PSA 7 so if anyone needs a 6 or 5, email me at jmdvm7@comcast.net as both are now available.
  • Options
    Bigdaddy,
    I think you got robbed on some of your crossovers, your Paul Brown a 7 in my opion and the Gifford looks nicer than a 6 also.

When you send cards to SGC, do they typically cross everything to the exact grade? Just curious, because I've never had any luck crossing SGC to PSA. I would be lucky to get 1 out of 6 to cross over to the same grade.