Home Precious Metals
Options

I won't ever need to buy from BST after this! :)

mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
Went to a flea market and a guy is there with lots of paper currency and various coins. I'm there early and I get to talking to him about 90%. He pulls out some 90% that he says he just bought earlier that week and wants to sell it quick and get his money back + extra profit.

8 fv franklins, wlhs, and jfks mixed in
2.75 fv quarters
.60 fv dimes

Total of 11.35 fv.

I ask him how much......he said, 5 dollars for two halves and so forth. I'm like sure sounds great with me!

In conclusion, I pay 64.75 for 11.35 FV of 90% AND AND AND he says he gets people selling 90% and morgans/peace to him all the time so if I check with him every Saturday, whatever he has bought he will offer it to me FIRST!! WOOOHOOOOO!!! I don't need to buy from bst anymore.......I can buy from him and stack very cheaply imageimageimage
Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Comments

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
    You paid under 6X face for 90% silver image
  • Options
    I plan on going every saturday and checking in with him! Even if its only a few FV or more, I plan on getting anything he has especially when he is offering some of the stuff at 5x FV!

Hopefully this pays off and I can slowly stack a respectable size hoard that would make you guys say: nice stack! image

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    coll3ctor, yeah under 6x!! image

I was thinking, ok if he wants 10-11x I'll get it anyways. Then he says, "2.50 per franklin, blah blah blah" and I had a grin on my face imageimage

• Options
    Who is selling this stuff so cheap that this guy can sell at under 6X face and still turn a profit ? Unbelievable image

Have you been smoking or drinking tonight image
  • Options
    lol, I don't smoke nor drink.

I have no idea who is selling him this stuff, he must be buying at 2-4x FV!

I will keep everyone updated everyweek if I get more stuff from him!

• Options
    now I don't want people to think I am bashing the BST. I love the BST. The prices on the BST are great and I have got some great deals on the bst! There are always amazing deals on there that I wish I was rich so I could buy nearly everything.

What I am saying is, I won't have to refresh the bst pages thousands of times daily from now on scouring for jdimmick deals, etc because I perhaps buy from this flea market person! If he does get lots of stuff in, expect to see me selling on the bst! LOL imageimage

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lol, I don't smoke nor drink.

I have no idea who is selling him this stuff, he must be buying at 2-4x FV!

I will keep everyone updated everyweek if I get more stuff from him! >>

Maybe the coins are from China. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say, you done good!!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I say, you done good!!image >>

image Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy..

Stack em deep and sell em cheap... Oh, wait.. Stack em deep and buy them cheap... image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Went to a flea market and a guy is there with lots of paper currency and various coins. I'm there early and I get to talking to him about 90%. He pulls out some 90% that he says he just bought earlier that week and wants to sell it quick and get his money back + extra profit.

8 fv franklins, wlhs, and jfks mixed in
    2.75 fv quarters
    .60 fv dimes

Total of 11.35 fv.

I ask him how much......he said, 5 dollars for two halves and so forth. I'm like sure sounds great with me!

In conclusion, I pay 64.75 for 11.35 FV of 90% AND AND AND he says he gets people selling 90% and morgans/peace to him all the time so if I check with him every Saturday, whatever he has bought he will offer it to me FIRST!! WOOOHOOOOO!!! I don't need to buy from bst anymore.......I can buy from him and stack very cheaply imageimageimage >>

Now, according to some people on here you are supposed to buy at full melt to be fair, and sell at no more than melt to be fair.

PREPARE TO BE ASSAULTED BY THE FORUM POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Um... gonna ask an obvious question. Someone selling coins at a flea market - are they made in the USA, or made in China?

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch - so be careful out there.

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    Certainly a great deal and one time deals such as this at flea-markets do happen.

Now if the guy comes up with much more 90% at 6X face, then it's likely stolen. image

Be careful!
  • Options

<< <i>

Now, according to some people on here you are supposed to buy at full melt to be fair, and sell at no more than melt to be fair.

PREPARE TO BE ASSAULTED BY THE FORUM POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

image >>

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    get while the gettin' is good. you ask his sell price and buy it.

any other flea market stories?
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's selling them cheap for two reasons:

1. he doesn't know the true value of silver

2. he's still making 100% profit as I'm sure he's only buying it for 3x and selling it for 6x.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    57loaded, no other stories, perhaps this saturday when I go back I can post another story if he has more to sell.

doubleeagles -I think he is making full profit as he probably is buying very very low.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last weekend, at a garage sale, I picked up a sterling bowl that weighs 25+ troy ounces for $2.00!
    One of my best finds to date!
  • Options
    This weeks flea market report!!!!

5.50 FV in franklins and WLHs
    .25 FV in barber quarter

=5.75 FV

Bought it for $35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flea Market person says someone is suppose to come back later with some more silver coins and told me to check back on Sunday. WOOHOO!!

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the GPS coordinates of the flea market dude?image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    What is going to happen is this, someone will

walk up to him and offer 7X or 8X and become

the new buyer of 90% silver coins. Enjoy it while

it lasts.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear -I hope not image

Renman -sorry, can't divulge coordinates imageimage

• Options

renman95 wrote:
    Do you have the GPS coordinates of the flea market dude?

===================================================

This could give new meaning to the term "geocaching". image
  • Options

<< <i>renman95 wrote:
    Do you have the GPS coordinates of the flea market dude?

===================================================

This could give new meaning to the term "geocaching". image >>

Its probably in a bad side of town anyway
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    That was a great rip on those 90% coins, I hope you can continue getting deals like that but I wouldn't count on it. Make sure you keep in contact with him and buy all you can at these prices, heck even if he raises the price some still keep buying.
  • Options
    Norseman, I talked to the flea market person some more today to build a rapport with him. I should be able to get more and more from him as he seems to like me and mentioned anything he buys he will put away and not show anyone at the flea market except me image

• Options
    So far here is what I have gotten and the prices.

Last week
    11.35 FV 90%
    Cost: $64.75

This week
    5.75 FV 90%
    Cost: $35

Will continue to update this every week image

deadhorse x3, tydye x2, silvereagles92 x10, connecticoin, meltdown, cartwheel, proofcollection, ajia, agentjim007, preturb x2, dpvilla, carew4me, coinlearner, wtcg x3, kryptonitecomics, weather11am, illini420, carlwohlforth, gecko109, broadstruck, thestig, collectorcoins, cars x6, pragmaticgoat x2, ajia x2, ACactionsx2, wildjag, Jkramer, theboz11, SeaEaglecoins, mustanggt, fishteeth, offmetal, bigdave, metalsman, goldsmid, silverbaron, zrlevin, koincrazy, coinminer1, bigeng, jabba, coll3ctor x3, coinshowman, raycyca x2, spacemonkey, ryguy, robkool, blackhawk, mrOrganic, scrapman1077 x2 -pending, millerjw -pending, scotty1418-pending, hyperion -pending, Loki -pending, guitarwes -pending

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    amazing buys. hard to think you can get silver at that price from a person
    at a flea market who are generally savvier then they look at first glance.
  • Options

<< <i>amazing buys. hard to think you can get silver at that price from a person
    at a flea market who are generally savvier then they look at first glance. >>

What he said image
  • Options
    This same flea market person wants 25 for circulated morgans and peace. I think I will stick to halves, dimes, and quarters.....much cheaper!imageimageimage

• Options

<< <i>This same flea market person wants 25 for circulated morgans and peace. I think I will stick to halves, dimes, and quarters.....much cheaper!imageimageimage >>

Forget the Morgan dollars and keep buying the smaller stuff, maybe you'll get some barbers or even seated liberty coins for the smae price.

One time I was buying Mercury dimes and there were a bunch of seated dimes mixed in so I put them on the bottom of the Mercs I was stacking in piles of 10. I didn't count them at the time but when I got home I had bought nearly 60 Seated dimes for 40 cents each and included in this group was an 1885-S although it was only an AG-3, still I traded it in on a nice XF 1942/1 dime.
  • Options
    norseman, I was able to buy a barber quarter last week with a bunch of franklins and walkers for 6x last weekend at the flea market.

Countdown to this saturday and I will report what happens.........can't wait!!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This same flea market person wants 25 for circulated morgans and peace. I think I will stick to halves, dimes, and quarters.....much cheaper!imageimageimage >>

Forget the Morgan dollars and keep buying the smaller stuff, maybe you'll get some barbers or even seated liberty coins for the smae price.

One time I was buying Mercury dimes and there were a bunch of seated dimes mixed in so I put them on the bottom of the Mercs I was stacking in piles of 10. I didn't count them at the time but when I got home I had bought nearly 60 Seated dimes for 40 cents each and included in this group was an 1885-S although it was only an AG-3, still I traded it in on a nice XF 1942/1 dime. >>

Thats borderline theft.....come on man.
  • Options
    nothing today! image Will check back tomorrow image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

One time I was buying Mercury dimes and there were a bunch of seated dimes mixed in so I put them on the bottom of the Mercs I was stacking in piles of 10. I didn't count them at the time but when I got home I had bought nearly 60 Seated dimes for 40 cents each and included in this group was an 1885-S although it was only an AG-3, still I traded it in on a nice XF 1942/1 dime. >>

Thats borderline theft.....come on man. >>

Why is it theft? They were mixed in with the Mercury dimes priced at 40 cents each, this was a long time ago when Silver was around $5 an oz. I picked out as many of the seated dimes as I could find and placed them under the Merc's he counted the piles of 10 and I paid him what he asked, I didn't know there was a key date seated dime until I got home. I've also picked 7-42/1-D and 1-42/1 mercury dimes out of bags of Silver I bought do you also consider cherrypicking these coins as stealing too???
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thats borderline theft.....come on man. >>

Why is it theft? They were mixed in with the Mercury dimes priced at 40 cents each, this was a long time ago when Silver was around $5 an oz. I picked out as many of the seated dimes as I could find and placed them under the Merc's he counted the piles of 10 and I paid him what he asked, I didn't know there was a key date seated dime until I got home. I've also picked 7-42/1-D and 1-42/1 mercury dimes out of bags of Silver I bought do you also consider cherrypicking these coins as stealing too??? >>

If you really thought you were doing nothing wrong, then why did you purposely place the seated coins under the mercs? Because you were in effect "stealing" them.

Most people see this as stealing....I cant understand why you dont.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [qIf you really thought you were doing nothing wrong, then why did you purposely place the seated coins under the mercs? Because you were in effect "stealing" them. >>

No. He didn't want to give the dealer a chance to change his mind. On a few rare occasions, I've shown interest in a dealer's coin that was marked with a price and when I tried to buy it, the dealer looked over the coin and then decided it was worth more and then he tried to raise his price. I naturally passed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Thats borderline theft.....come on man. >>

==========================================

Well he said "boderline". It's not really theft. image

Hey! Anybody know where I can pick up some Seated dimes for a buck? image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    It's not behavior I would condone, but I don't regard it as stealing. I explain why at p. 5 of Gecko's thread.

In fact, if we're going to get all righteous here, I'm curious as to why no one seems to have a problem with the OP's purchases of silver far below melt price.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>It's not behavior I would condone, but I don't regard it as stealing. I explain why at p. 5 of Gecko's thread.

In fact, if we're going to get all righteous here, I'm curious as to why no one seems to have a problem with the OP's purchases of silver far below melt price. >>

Because the OP simply paid what the seller asked for. The other member engaged in deceptive behavior by proactively HIDING certain coins from plain view in an effort to have them go unnoticed. BIGTIME difference IMO!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's not behavior I would condone, but I don't regard it as stealing. I explain why at p. 5 of Gecko's thread.

In fact, if we're going to get all righteous here, I'm curious as to why no one seems to have a problem with the OP's purchases of silver far below melt price. >>

Because the OP simply paid what the seller asked for. The other member engaged in deceptive behavior by proactively HIDING certain coins from plain view in an effort to have them go unnoticed. BIGTIME difference IMO! >>

Like you wouldn't do the same thing..LOL. If the guy didn't want to sell the seated dimes for 40 cents each then why were they sitting in the same bin as the mercury dimes??? As stated the reason I placed them underneath the Mercury dimes is maybe he would change his mind or maybe he wouldn't who knows, he also could've picked up the dimes and looked through them but since I'd bought thousands of dollars of 90% coins from him I suppose he didn't have any reason to.
    I suppose you think I stole from this guy when I found overdate mercury dimes in bags of 90% too.
  • Options
    In fact the next time you post a rip you got on a Silver bar or round I'll have to say that you stole from whomever you got it from...OK???
  • Options
    About to head out to the flea market again and see if the seller has anymore 90% today! Wish me luck, hope I hit a hoard imageimage

• Options

<< <i>In fact the next time you post a rip you got on a Silver bar or round I'll have to say that you stole from whomever you got it from...OK??? >>

I dont stack 10 common bars on top of 1 rare bar with the hopes that the seller wont notice....but you did EXACTLY THAT!image
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    My 2 Cents.

First of all, it has not been determined (From what I read) if the "Dealer" knew what he was selling or if the "Dealer" was actually one of the guys buddies that stole the coins from his dad. How does that make a difference your thinking right?

If it was a dealer and he had a ciger box with misc dimes (I have seen this before, you know, a junk box type) that he was selling for melt (At the time) and the dealer knew what he was putting in the box (Seaterd and Mercs) and overlooked the rare date, then all this guy did was buy the coins from the dealer and cherry picked the rare date (Unknowingly at the time).

The points to this scenerio are:

1. The dealer knew he was placing Seated and Mercs in the box.
    2. The dealer accidently placed a rare dated coin in the box (Happens all the time, us collectors call it cherry picking).

Answer me this, when you cherry pick a coin, or are quoted well below the value of a coin, do you talk the dealer up in price saying, "Are you sure you only want to charge me $700, because that coin will sell for $950 all day" or do you purchase the coin for the price quoted then rave about the cherry pick?

With this logic, everyone that cherry picks is a thief... Hmmmm, something to think about.

This is where we enter a shady area...

1. Were the seated and merc in the same box? If not, then someone did something wrong. If they were, move onto number two.
    2. Did the buyer feel like he was doing something wrong? If he does, in my opinion he was doing something unethical.
    3. If this purchase was from someone who did not know what they were selling, then the process was enethical. (Meaning from his buddy that stole the coins from his dad...)

Just a few points.

Ray

• Options
    "With this logic, everyone that cherry picks is a thief... Hmmmm, something to think about."

No. The seller knows what coin he is selling (but may not realize current market values on it). No theft.

"2. Did the buyer feel like he was doing something wrong? If he does, in my opinion he was doing something unethical."

Of course he did. Why else would he take the time to be sure the seated dimes were out of sight, hidden at the BOTTOM of each of the piles he stacked? This is theft by intentional deception.

• Options

<< <i>"With this logic, everyone that cherry picks is a thief... Hmmmm, something to think about."

No. The seller knows what coin he is selling (but may not realize current market values on it). No theft.

Exactly my point, if the current market value is known by the buyer, and the seller does not. The transaction is complete with the dealer losing possible profit, does not make it theft by deception since the buyer KNEW for a fact that the coin was worth more?

"2. Did the buyer feel like he was doing something wrong? If he does, in my opinion he was doing something unethical."

Of course he did. Why else would he take the time to be sure the seated dimes were out of sight, hidden at the BOTTOM of each of the piles he stacked? This is theft by intentional deception. >>

I agree.

PS. Not trying to get in a pissing contest with anyone, just wanted to offer another view.
    Ray
  • Options
    BTW mkman123, nice deception with the flea market buy, wish I could find someone to take advantage of like that. I know if I was buying from him/her I would tell her what the actual value of the bullion is and would pay full market value.

That was a joke, good job, keep a tally of all you receive from him and what you paid averaged out, I bet that would be interesting to track over the weeks/months/years.

Good luck,
    Ray
  • Options
    who is this mr. paseo guy?? The flea market guy sells coins and currency at the flea market. He has 2 coins books and numerous coin magazines in front of him on his table and offered the coins to me at the stated prices........what did I do wrong????

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>who is this mr. paseo guy?? >>

He's one of the most respected, long term forum members there is. Mr. Paseo needs to prove himself to no one one this forum.