Comments

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Walked out with 100.00 in quarters and found:

3- bi-centennial
    0- Wisconsin
    1- DC
    0- Silverimage >>

This is post worthy material?
  • No, but I have been so busy with non numistmatic endeavours that I thought I would just relax today a little.

Post is more relevent to Twitter.
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>

3- bi-centennial
    0- Wisconsin
    1- DC
    0- Silverimage >>

This is post worthy material? >>

C'mon Gecko........... He's reading your posts and trying real hard to be just like you.image

Ray
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some days the rolls come through for ya, some day they don't!

K
    ANA LM
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Searching quarter rolls seems like a fruitless persuit. Unlike some denominations, quarters actually get used, and therefore most of the good stuff is already picked out.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Searching quarter rolls seems like a fruitless persuit. Unlike some denominations, quarters actually get used, and therefore most of the good stuff is already picked out. >>

In the many thousands of dollars worth of rolls I have done in the last 5-6 years, quarters AND dimes have yielded ZERO silver image
    Nickels have given me war nickels and as far back as 1938. Halves have given me silver (franklins and kennedys) and proofs.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why you even bother roll searching for silver quarters. There is next to zero left in circulation. I don't roll search any dimes or quarters because I know I'm not gonna find any silver and banks around here consider having half dollars as a sin. I like searching nickels the best because their the least desired (watched for) so I have good chances of finding higher grades, plus their perfect size and simple design make them easy to scan for higher grades, and they have the perfect balance between how much money you trade for number of coins you get.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The banks around my neck of the woods in S.Cal

have no halves, no Ikes and darn little of anything

other then quarters and pennies.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Searching quarter rolls seems like a fruitless persuit. Unlike some denominations, quarters actually get used, and therefore most of the good stuff is already picked out. >>

Since the start of the year founds several S.L.Qs. . a Washington 1932 among others. image
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>3- bi-centennial >>

Those are hard to come by in Okla.. Members on this board claim they are worth face value
    only. I have offered 12.50 a roll plus shipping and no one seems to want my money...image
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    get halfs, much better chances!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • In Michigan, silver quarters are hard to find, but silver halves, dimes, nickels, as well as Ikes and redseal $2 bills can still be found.
  • I have found no war nicks in many years, no silver halves in years. I have found silver dimes and quarters though.
  • Over the last few years I have searched about 5 boxes of dimes. On average, I find one silver dime. The last box, searched about a month ago yielded two silver dimes. A Roosevelt and a very beat up Merc. My first Merc ever from a box

Like a few others, nickels do seem to bring more finds. I usually find 1 war nickel per box and a handful from the 40's and sometimes a 1939.

And like others, getting halves is just tough at times.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

3- bi-centennial
    0- Wisconsin
    1- DC
    0- Silverimage >>

Remind me not to walk out of your bank with a hundred dollars in quarters.
    You ended up with a dollar image
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

3- bi-centennial
    0- Wisconsin
    1- DC
    0- Silverimage >>

Remind me not to walk out of your bank with a hundred dollars in quarters.
    You ended up with a dollar image >>

What did they give you $99.00 in Slugworths?image They are no good anymore.. I guess if some person coming in at 3 minutes before closing I would give them whatever I had left, I count my days log/till 10 minutes before I get off.. Banks don't pay OT no more.image
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just roll searched some nickels yesterday ($20 worth) & found one proof from 1963, 4 circs from the 1940's and 3 from the 1950's.

My best find was a roll of mixed Buffalo nickels & war nickels a few years ago.

War nickels are still commonly found around here and plenty of 1939's (Philly).

Never found a 39-D, 42-D or 50-D from rolls yet.

I have found all other date/MM however.

Once in a rare while I'll find a BU nickel from the 1940's.

Best I found was a nickel with a nice cud on it. I'll try to post a picture later.

Increasingly, the nickels from the 1970's, 80's and even 90's are heavily worn or very beat up, almost abused looking.

1964 examples still make up the largest percentage found by date followed by the early 2000's.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    While I do not get rolls from the bank. I do search my drawer at work on a daily basis. In 10 years as a pharmacist I have found the following

Lincolns - still have yet to find a DD. I Check 72, 83,84 and 95
    Wheaties - almost daily. Found a 09-vdb once
    Indian Head Cents - one nice score - opened a roll and out came about 6 indians and many many wheaties
    Buffalos - find occasionally but mostly slicks
    Jeffersons - find war nickels monthly. Lots of 38 and 39s
    Dimes - find a few silvers a year - found mercs twice
    Quarters - found a few silver ones - just washingtons
    Halves - never - lucky to get a clad

Currency - found many red and blue seals. But the best was a solid 444444444 serial number $10
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the many, many, many, bank rolls I have searched, I have come up with zero findings..... very frustrating. Cheers, RickO
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I always like roll-searching posts. My thoughts:

It's pointless to search quarter rolls for silver, but VERY interesting to try to build a clad set these days. In the couple of months I've been doing it, I've already learned a lot about what's happened to our coinage in the past 50 years. Plus, it's fun to just fill up those slots and try to upgrade. While most 60s, 70s, and even 80s dates are dogs, every once in a while a very nice specimen pops out. It takes me back to the "pure collecting" I enjoyed as a kid. I wish I'd picked some up for the weekend!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't search rolls, but I do search through the quarters from the laundry machines at my rental properties. Each month the total is between maybe $200 and $300. In the last two years I've found eight silver quarters and a handful of foreign coins.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's pointless to search quarter rolls for silver >>

exactly, the hours spent searching the rolls is not worth the occasional coin valued at $2.50, and then having to return the countless number of rolls. I stop at the bank once every 2 weeks or so and get $20 worth of nickels and then spend about 30 minutes looking through them, keeping the ones that are unusually high grade and atleast 20 years old.

• << <i>I don't know why you even bother roll searching for silver quarters. There is next to zero left in circulation. I don't roll search any dimes or quarters because I know I'm not gonna find any silver and banks around here consider having half dollars as a sin. I like searching nickels the best because their the least desired (watched for) so I have good chances of finding higher grades, plus their perfect size and simple design make them easy to scan for higher grades, and they have the perfect balance between how much money you trade for number of coins you get. >>

Went to five banks and found 7 half dollars in total.
  • Doing a bit of roll searching at the moment myself. Will post results later.
    Hey, Im new at this so cut me some slack!!
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    In the last ten years or so I have come across a total of 2 silver quarters. That's it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file