Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hockey Card Saturday...show off the new hockey cards you picked up this week...

I'm not trying to take anything away from Ron's "raw card Saturday" thread, as I enjoy looking there each weekend at member pick-ups, but as a hockey collector there are a lot of other sports to sift through. I am not really sure if this has been tried in the past, but if anybody out there would like to post their new hockey pick-ups from this past week, or simply chat about hockey news, you can do so here, as well as continue to post your images on Ron's thread.

I'll start it off and contribute each Saturday. I'm a big fan of Mike Bossy so here are my pick-ups from this week.

This card is an upgrade in my Bossy master set. I am hoping to eventually find card 204 in mint condition.

This was also an upgrade - from an eight to a nine. My goal is to find all of the 1981 leader cards in mint condition as well.

This card I have added to my master opc set. I am building my Bossy sets without using cards from the others as I believe if you have a card in set "A" then you would have to take it out of that set to add to set "B" therefore making set "A" no longer complete. This has made collecting more challenging and fun.

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Patrick - GREAT looking Bossy cards. Those are my favorite OPC years '80-81 and '81-82...are you familiar with the Islanders News releases from the early-mid '80s? I started to collect these with the intent of getting them graded, but (like everything) lost focus. This summer might be a good time to re-focus.

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Picked up this beaut for my 87 set.

• Options
    goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭

from a recent sub.........
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Patrick - GREAT looking Bossy cards. Those are my favorite OPC years '80-81 and '81-82...are you familiar with the Islanders News releases from the early-mid '80s? I started to collect these with the intent of getting them graded, but (like everything) lost focus. This summer might be a good time to re-focus.

Mike >>

Thanks Mike. I love the 1980 OPC's and the leader cards from 1981. My favorite year was 1979 though, but 80 is a close second.

I am familiar with those Islanders News cards. There seems to be a lot of centering issues with them, mostly on the back. I have bought a few sets and removed the Bossy cards from them, then re-sold them on eBay. Those Bossy cards are currently at PSA right now and when they come back I'll post scans. I have the Trottier Islander News set (minus the Bossy's) if you would like them, send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll get them out to you.

Patrick
  • Options

<< <i>Picked up this beaut for my 87 set.

image >>

Nice! I see your want lists in your signature, are these sets that you are building raw?
  • Options
    MULLINS5: Yes, they are raw NMMT+ sets. I just finished off my 87 with that McSorley and I'm down to just the Lemieux for my 85 Topps. Got any that I need? image
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Alright, hockey stuff!
  • Options

<< <i>MULLINS5: Yes, they are raw NMMT+ sets. I just finished off my 87 with that McSorley and I'm down to just the Lemieux for my 85 Topps. Got any that I need? image >>

Brian, I'll look through what I have and see how I can help...I know that I don't have that Lemieux though....
  • Options
    I appreciate it.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    I bragged about this one earlier but as long as we're having a hockey thread and all....

1985-86 Provigo sticker

It will be sent to PSA as part of the recent group submission.
  • Options
    BTW, MULLINS5, here's hoping Tavares will help bring back the glory days to the Islanders. I'm not necessarily an Isles fan but they represent old time hockey TRADITION. (Well, at least for the '70s and '80s.)
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Patrick - GREAT looking Bossy cards. Those are my favorite OPC years '80-81 and '81-82...are you familiar with the Islanders News releases from the early-mid '80s? I started to collect these with the intent of getting them graded, but (like everything) lost focus. This summer might be a good time to re-focus.

Mike >>

Were there any Bob Nystrom or Clark Gillies cards in that set?

If so could you scan a pic

Mike

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    Well I only have one hockey player and its on a baseball card but still a favorite!

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    Didn't get it this week, but I have to show it off. This little beauty was sent to me by Trent (Nightcrawler). I sent him a Reggie Leach auto'd insert card for his collection, and a few months later this beauty arrives! Thanks again Trent!!
  • Options

<< <i>I bragged about this one earlier but as long as we're having a hockey thread and all....

1985-86 Provigo sticker

It will be sent to PSA as part of the recent group submission. >>

Hey, I like this sticker...is this the one that took a few years to find? Was this part of the toy issue in the 80's? Do you know if they made a Bossy?
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't get it this week, but I have to show it off. This little beauty was sent to me by Trent (Nightcrawler). I sent him a Reggie Leach auto'd insert card for his collection, and a few months later this beauty arrives! Thanks again Trent!!
    image >>

I've always wanted to get into collecting the older sets, maybe I will eventually get around to it...beautiful card, and yes Trent is a good guy.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, I like this sticker...is this the one that took a few years to find? Was this part of the toy issue in the 80's? Do you know if they made a Bossy? >>

Yeah, it took me 2 decades to get one. Provigo is a Quebec-based grocery store and they only made team sets of Montreal and Quebec that year.

On the other hand you may be familiar with this '82-'83 Post set set but have you seen the cereal box as shown on the right (sorry for the cutoff on the scan) or the "salesman sample" box as shown in the middle? (This page is from the Vintage Hockey Collector's price guide.)
  • Options
    Redheart, I have never seen those. Are they yours?
  • Options
    No, they're not mine. I didn't know about it until receiving the vintage hockey book.

As far as other non-mainstream Topps/OPC cards and stickers of Bossy in this book...

1981-82 Post "NHL Stars In Action"

1983-84 Funmate stickers (Bossy can be seen on right side of sticker album)

1984-85 Kellogg's Picture Pucks (I've never seen one of these up close so I don't know if they're too thick to slab. Bossy can be seen on the yellow "winning team" card.)

1984-85 7-11 discs (I didn't see this on your set registry but I know PSA grades them. Bossy can be seen on display card.)
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Nice stuff, great thread.

Nothing great here, this was the last card below PSA 8 in my 73 OPC set. It's a tough card that sold for five times more than I expected.

• Options

<< <i>No, they're not mine. I didn't know about it until receiving the vintage hockey book.

As far as other non-mainstream Topps/OPC cards and stickers of Bossy in this book...

>>

Hey Red, thanks for the info. I am familiar with the '82 Post and have three in PSA 9, I'll have to check on those other ones..I think the funmate sticker is pretty thick...I'll call and ask if they grade them. That vintage price book sounds like a fun read, I think I'll have to try to find one.

Patrick
  • Options

<< <i>I think the funmate sticker is pretty thick...I'll call and ask if they grade them. >>

I had the same question about my Provigo Roy. Carol e-mailed me and stated that it's one of those issues that they have to see first and then make a determination. I REALLLLLLLY hope they make the RIGHT determination.

You can find the hockey book at vintagehockeycollector.com I think he's the only one who sells them. It is indeed an interesting book and has a lot of good color photos of rare and desirable stuff. It's not really a price guide in the traditional sense (i.e. a Charlton or a Beckett catalogue) but it gives general prices of the items it features.
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Picked these up this week. Feel like the #209 could grade a 9, and the #252 an 8 both auto's are sharp and the sticker is very condition sensitive especially in terms of the borders/centering.

imageimage
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Great thread and great stuff guys. image

I have a very small sampling of hockey in my collection, actually my wife has more hockey cards than I do as she is a big Bobby Clarke fan.

Anywho, my addition to this thread was a gift from board member Trent. And after reading this thread, I see he is a serial gift giver. image This beauty will be on the next group sub.

Thank you Trent! image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    My hockey pickups for the past week:

Thank you.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Picked up these this week in trade from our own TheThrill22 (Tom). Traded Hockey for Hockey, kind of an old school deal:
  • Options
    I picked this one up a couple weeks ago. Looks much better in hand than the eBay scan.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    This is my most recent hockey pickup, although it was about a month ago

Busted this out of a pack, also had Gretzky(in with Group Sub now) in it right before Mario image

• Options
    Sorry I have been away the past couple weeks. My parents bought a new house and I have been helping them move and re-paint the entire inside. I have, however, been able to pick up a few cards during the time...

I am trying to get this card in at least PSA 8 condition...right now in my master set I only have this card in a 6 so I am hoping that this one will go higher...picked up on eBay for 7.50, shipping included.

This is a 1982 Neilson Gretzky card for my set...you don't see this card very often, and when it shows up for sale it tends to go pretty quick. I have been able to pick up three of these over the past year and plan on sending them in for grades this month.

I am still moving some things from school...my scanner is still there so when I am able to get it down I'll scan some of the nice cards that came back from last weeks PSA submission...the scanner I have here right now is not that nice.

cefy - I love those 1981 stickers...I am still thinking about starting my own set of those...I have a raw set right now.

Patrick

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    One day I would like to be able to contribute to this thread that I have purchased this card:

Until then, I'll just pretend.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I picked this one up a couple weeks ago. Looks much better in hand than the eBay scan.

image >>

That is a beautiful card!!!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

• Options
    Nice stuff guys. One of the last PSAs I need for my C56s.

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    Do you get some Kool-aid with that Jim Jones Card? image)
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Great cards guys I really like the 70's hockey.
  • Options
    goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Hello Richmond........
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • Options
    mac1961mac1961 Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Just picked this up in a small hockey collection
    2004 Bowman Chrome Refractor Marc-Andre Fleury 16/50

• Options
    Sweet MAF

The New hockeytown, sorry detroit. 1st GM left, then the deadthings. Pittsburgh is the new titletown!
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Holy smokes, there's hockey guys on CU now. image

- Garret
  • Options
    Snagged a couple 10s last week. image

• Options
    1981 TCMA
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Picked up this lot of vintage Red Wings stubs for $10...

It's difficult to tell from the scan but they're from Dec 25, 1960, Dec 1, 1966 and Feb 19, 1970.

The stub that particularily interests me is the one in the center (1966) as the Wings defeated the Bruins 4-1. This stub is significant because '66 was Bobby Orr's rookie year. I can't find a box score for this specific game, but I think the likelihood that Orr played in this game is good because:

1. the season was 70 games long
    2. Orr played 61 games, missed 9 due to injury
    3. Orr was injured on Dec 4
    4. Not certain when he returned: he practiced on Dec 20 and collected 2 assists on Dec 28, which means he was out at least 6 games, but could have missed all 9 games in this stretch.

Sorry, to bore anyone with this, BUT I LOVE THE OLD TIME HOCKEY.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Gordie Howe missed only one game in '66 - '67, so there's a 98% chance that he played in the Dec 1, 1966 game too! image

Need to do more research...

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    This is from my collection. I thought you guys that like vintage would enjoy it.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    that's a beautiful morenz right above me...

Here is a card I recently sub'd to PSA. I pulled this out of a pack from BBCE a long time ago and kept it put away in a shoebox. So far it is one of my highlights of my Mike Bossy master set. Anybody who knows about this set, and this particular card, knows how tough it is to get a high grade in.

• Options
    image jimrad... the Howie.

Great Bossy Patrick, that's a helluva tough year. You could cut down a maple with some of the rough cuts from '78. image

Gameused, nice Orr, a great looking card. image

ICE9, no one cares about any Redwings victory over Boston. image
  • Options
    Hey wait a minute... I'm so frinkn stunned I just realized you guys missed saturday by more than a whole day???

Great tickets ICE9. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey wait a minute... I'm so frinkn stunned I just realized you guys missed saturday by more than a whole day???

Great tickets ICE9. image >>

image yeah, I have been so busy the past few weeks, and I just got my scanner up and running here at the new place, I had to get the Bossy on here
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    It's Saturday am on the east coast so here goes.
    Sharing another one of my favorites. This is truly one of a kind - Jean Beliveau Pre Rookie Card
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax