Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

We Are The Denver Mint !

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is WOW!!! Where did you learn how to troubleshoot/repair the coin press?

And how much are these beauties?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

Wow.............that is outstanding image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the mint was lacking in maintenance. You've done a fine job in the restoration process.
    Try this machine shop if you need parts made.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Wow nice setup the Denver Mint right in your own backyard.imageimage
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    That is cool Daniel.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I hate to admit this,,, but this is the type of stuff that gets me excited. image

Thats what working in tool and die will do to a man! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool! -- Nice work on the restoration.

• Options
    Great read Daniel and nice work. As an engineer, I love this stuff.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Options
    Looks like a great Place to Work! image
  • Options
    I didn't see a coffee pot.....image....Nice setup...!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Wow, very cool stuff Daniel.

I love the details in the article!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a nominee for "post of the year"!

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That is a fascinating story, Daniel! I can't imagine how hard it must have been to troubleshoot a complex system like that without knowing anything about how it was designed to work. I didn't know there was so much peripheral equipment required to run a press (PLCs, etc.). I figured they just hooked the press up to a power source and pushed a green button to get it to run - it's obviously a lot more involved than that!

It would be cool to have one of those press commem medals to go with your Denver Mint centennial medal I have.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I've got a slightly used pair of bright orange Denver Mint earplugs if you need them!
  • Options

You asked a question about "why the red X" on the feeding fingers.
    My guess is that it was rendered unserviceable after being struck, but it seems odd that the outside of the fingers would be problematic for re-use. You used a lot of ingenuity in bypassing systems to make this operational. Thanks for the mini tour inside the machine. It's fascinating to me.

And did you try the "RED X'ed" fingers in the machine to see if there is a problem ?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm lost for words ... wow
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Very cool post! I am really surprised that they surplused this without checking for all those blanks and such. Imagine if this was a press from the 1800s with all those coins still inside! I am interested in how much the press cost at auction and how much the restoration was?
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    Paying attention when the Mint puts out a press release can pay off.
  • Options

<< <i>Paying attention when the Mint puts out a press release can pay off. >>

I can't top this one image
  • Options
    Just curious do the dates of the coins and medal found give an indication of a time frame when maintenance decreased or does it appear the level of maintenance was consistent over the years by the Mint?
    Do some of the locations and amount of coins and planchets indicate a poor maintenance program on this press?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

this is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I bet Fred W. is going to wet his britches when he sees some of those planchets.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! That is literally the coolest story I have read/heard about all year. Thanks Dan!

And congradulations on the completed restoration. I can't imagine how much time/effort you put into that but it sure looks like it paid off. image
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and if you are selling those medals you have pictured at the bottom of your story, sign me up for one!!!!!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Daniel,
    Very cool.

Next time you need an $800 part drop me a note. I'm sure I could have made it for you for half that and I guarantee it fits right the first time. I have lots of high strength steel material in my garage shop and quite a bit of experience making precision parts. I don't do much work now because coins keeps me busy but need an excuse to get the tools out occasionally.

Did you have to put in 480 volt service in your home? How many horspower is that. I assume it's 3 phase and needs a hefty power supply. Around here that's hard to do (zoning). Are you running it off a phase converter?

the glove box in the corner is a nice touch.

--Jerry

• Options
    What a cool deal you got there! Great job, and very impressive!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool!!! Maybe you can have PCGS slab all the stuff you found in the press!!! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    COOOOOL!

I wonder if they have any American Made coin presses?
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Way cool! The research and dedication it must have taken to get the press running again is amazing.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KEWL SQUARED!!!!!!!!

POTY!
    YOU SUCK OF THE YEAR!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PUNCH PRESS AND A SAND BLASER " PERFECT " THAT'S ALL YOU NEED!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the story:
    Moonlight Mint's Grabener Coin Press

image >>

I LOVE IT!!

Coins made while you wait!

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Congrad's on a great job. I love it!!!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool! Pretty cool, indeed!imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    "A few coin blanks were found inside".

I imagine they simply go flying everywhere. You seem to have found them everywhere.

Sounds like a fun restoration job. Now the real fun begins.

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Now you can stop ordering your coins from China!! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    "And how much are these beauties?"

Agree, how do we get one of those recycled quarter medals?

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting post,
    and a great job of restoration,
    but doesn't anyone think that these should be destroyed once the
    mint is done with them,
    and not available for others to buy
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's very cool.

The struck feeder fingers likely have some good value, too. Maybe not enough to pay your costs for the rest of the press, but I bet it's more than chump change...
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    This needs to be published in the Numismatist.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This needs to be published in the Numismatist. >>

I will second that one. Very interesting and one of the rare numismatic subjects, at least for me lately, that will keep my attention.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    Very very neat. I too would assume it would not be for resale, you would think they would at least removed all the contraband. I too would be interested in one of the tokens stuck on the blanks.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>interesting post,
    mint is done with them,
    and not available for others to buy >>

So once the city is done using a police car, it should be destroyed ?
    Crito might want to buy one. Would that be fair ?
  • Options
    They kind of are, they remove all the police equipment before selling. I've purchased one and the only thing it had left on it was the spot light and cage between the seats. They aren't used to produce our coinage either.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>interesting post,
    mint is done with them,
    and not available for others to buy >>

So once the city is done using a police car, it should be destroyed ?
    Crito might want to buy one. Would that be fair ? >>

Great! Now you got the Blues Brothers in my head!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    totally amazing restoration and article. i guess now can make your coins "in house" now?

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    amazing post... very interesting stuff!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was cool. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All I can say is WOW!!! Where did you learn how to troubleshoot/repair the coin press?

And how much are these beauties?
    >>

Thanks !
    I have a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering. Experiece from working on old cars in the past helped a lot too.

PS:
    I don't have them on my shopping cart site yet, but there is a "printable" price list link on the www.moonlightmint.com home page.
  • Options

<< <i>I've got a slightly used pair of bright orange Denver Mint earplugs if you need them! >>

I got a bag of them too, in with the crate of spare parts. But they're too mushy to stamp anything on.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't see a coffee pot.....image....Nice setup...!!! >>

Thanks! No coffee. Fridge is behind camera.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file